The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the big deal about Tim Bradley?????

+19
Steffan
captain carrantuohil
The Galveston Giant
paperbag_puncher
J.Benson II
Rowley
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Young_Towzer
bellchees
milkyboy
wow_junky
Daz
Scottrf
Fists of Fury
88Chris05
eddyfightfan
coxy0001
The genius of PBF
TRUSSMAN66
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What is the big deal about Tim Bradley????? Empty What is the big deal about Tim Bradley?????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:26 am

Am I missing something here.....He just looks like such a run of the mill fighter who in the 80's would be a journeyman......

The guy is nothing special....I don't see it at all..

The guy is a complete over achiever....

Can anybody see him COMPETING with Curry, Starling, Trinidad, Pryor, Camacho, Taylor, Mcgirt, Chavez, DelaHoya, Hatton, Breland....etc etc etc etc..

Jog on Khan fight Brook, Morales, Judah,Mayweather etc and just leave this plodder behind..

Bradley is nothing special...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

What is the big deal about Tim Bradley????? Empty Re: What is the big deal about Tim Bradley?????

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:30 am

He is good at using his head!!!

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

What is the big deal about Tim Bradley????? Empty Re: What is the big deal about Tim Bradley?????

Post by coxy0001 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:32 am

Been saying for a while i don't rate him all that much

Disregarding most of the names you've previously mentioned, Kostya and Hatton would've simply walked him down and then through him and neither were exactly lacking heart when things got tough and heads started flying in. Lacks power, lacks the technical skill to keep a brawler off him and would get outboxed and taken apart from the outside by a more skilled technician such as Khan.

Hasn't given a performance yet that i've gone "wow" to and made me really sit up and take notice. Out of the current crop Khan takes him apart and the likes of Cotto, Hatton and Kostya (from the era before) simply laugh at him whilst walking him down and beating him up.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:33 am

he holds 2 world titles, and if khan wants to unify he needs to go through him. i would if i were khan as i do wonder if he will enjoy the same success if he moves up a weight division, and should secure a legacy at his current weight first.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:33 am

It's easy to tell Khan to forget about him, but like it or not, Bradley has done more in the way of proving that he's the best 140 lb fighter on the planet than anyone else has. If Khan doesn't fight him it will be a notable hole in both their records.

On to his abilities, I agree that he is workmanlike, but certainly not spectacular and nowhere near as 'pretty' to watch as some of the other men you've mentioned. However, I like his attitude and the fact that he's made the most of what he has. He's a robust lad, uses his strength well on the inside (a little too clumsy with the head, mind you) and has shown good discipline and ring smarts, as in he's going to fight his fight and not get suckered in to chasing an opponent or abandoning his 'play it safe' style, smothering a lot of his opponent's work.

Like you, I don't think he's a great in the making, but I do think you sell him short a little bit, too. The fact that he doesn't draw a crowd doesn't change the fact that, on achievements in recent years, he's easily a top fifteen pound for pound man right now.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:38 am

He would beat Cotto to be fair coxy.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:43 am

I don't think so, PBF.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:43 am

The genius of PBF wrote:He would beat Cotto to be fair coxy.

Stop being a wum. And i'm not going to get drawn into that arguement with you, so don't even bother to explain your reasons why.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:44 am

Preparation, tactics and record.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:45 am

coxy0001 wrote:
The genius of PBF wrote:He would beat Cotto to be fair coxy.

Stop being a wum. And i'm not going to get drawn into that arguement with you, so don't even bother to explain your reasons why.

He nearly got beat by lesser fighters like Paulie and Clottey so why doesn't Bradley have a chance then?

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:49 am

Why should Khan forget him? Bradley has 2 belts at 140. If Khan beats Judah then he will have 2 belts also and then a 140 unification bout will happen.

Winner has all 4 belts. Khan should not forget him at all - great fighter or not.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:53 am

And moving on.

To be honest Daz, it's not the belts i'm particularly bothered about - actually not at all. It's some peoples #1 facing others #1 in a genuine showdown for supremacy at the weight - something we don't get all that often nowadays.

Do you think it'd matter much if they both got stripped of their alphabet belts? Me personally a handful of belts that are given out like sweeties don't carry any weight for me personally, in todays day and age it's about the best fighting the best. Naturally in years gone past the best held the belts but sadly that's not the case with the WBA/IBF/WBC/WBO with some of the ludicrous ways they rank contenders/strip the proper champs.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:01 pm

He's the best allround fighter at 140lb IMO, good not great in a lot of areas but is a great in-ring tactician and trains like a demon.

I think I'd slightly favour him over Khan as he handled a tall, rangy fighter very well (Peterson) and is tactically much better than Khan.

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:02 pm

coxy0001 wrote:And moving on.

To be honest Daz, it's not the belts i'm particularly bothered about - actually not at all. It's some peoples #1 facing others #1 in a genuine showdown for supremacy at the weight - something we don't get all that often nowadays.

Do you think it'd matter much if they both got stripped of their alphabet belts? Me personally a handful of belts that are given out like sweeties don't carry any weight for me personally, in todays day and age it's about the best fighting the best. Naturally in years gone past the best held the belts but sadly that's not the case with the WBA/IBF/WBC/WBO with some of the ludicrous ways they rank contenders/strip the proper champs.

That's very true Coxy, but like Chris said, Tim is, in most peoples eyes the man at 140. Particularly since Devon Alexander has fallen from grace. The problem Khan has - he gets a lot of undue stick from people. They also like to pick his record apart which you can do with most fighters past and present. But having a 4 belt unification on your record is something that is cemented on your record for good. Can only make his resume and acheivements appear better in the long term when people are debating his career. Even though belts arent as prestigious as they used to be.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:07 pm

agree he's not exciting, agree he wouldn;t be setting the world alight in a better era. He's a workmanlike, tough, sometimes dirty fighter. Doesn;t mean he isn;t any good though... the list you compare him too has some great fighters in it so its a harsh comparison and i'd give him chances against probably only mcgirt and hatton, maybe breland depending on which breland turned up.

He's the best of the current crop at the weight though bar khan so absolutely khan should fight him

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:11 pm

I'm getting more and more worried that a fight with Khan won't be made. Hopefully it will be before one or both of them move on up to Welter.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:24 pm

Just think that he is a very ordinary fighter and the fact he has two belts means very little..

Belts are trash and for me Bradley just isn't all that....

Each to their own and I welcome the opinions...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:30 pm

A journeyman in the 80s?

Battered and dropped a good fighter in Witter, beat Holt who was a good and dangerous fighter, battered Campbell but got robbed to a NC, beat Peterson who's decent, Alexander who was quality and bang in form, quality fighter, extremely quick, does everything correctly and very hard to hit, he's quality and the number 1 lww in the world, that's erm official as well aint it by all the ratings haha.

@ Coxy, don't rise to the Cotto beit, why on earth if you weren't wumming would you say a 10 stone fighter beats an 11 stone lmw? obviously wumming don't rise to it.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:30 pm

He's got a head like a f*cking armchair.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:31 pm

I'm not interested in you Towzer..go away.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm not interested in you Towzer..go away.

Nah, free forum, quality fighter who survives and wins a title in the 80's. Number 1 LWW in the world as well Very Happy

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:39 pm

Not interested...you're pathetic.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:40 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not interested...you're pathetic.

Spot on

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:41 pm

Don't get involved Pbf...Ignore him he might go away....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:56 pm

Think you're being a little harsh Truss whilst you're probably right in saying Tim doesn't do anything particularly well the flip side of that is he does not appear to have any glaring weaknesses. When you couple that with the fact that he always comes in in terrific shape and seems to have a very underrated boxing brain and ability to develop and stick to a gameplan he is certainly not a guy to get the pulses racing but is a solid champion and is rightly considered the main man at 140, a status he has earned in the ring.

Also the fact you think Khan would beat him does not give him a pass if he does not fight him. I always thought Wlad would beat Haye but he was the best opponent out there so had to be dealt with and if Khan wants to be considered the man at 140 he needs to do similar and a failure to do so would be a mark against him for me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:01 pm

Good post Rowley.....I do declare a bias in the sense that a man who is considered a big player can be so "Ordinary"....

Bet a few of the welters/jr welts from the past wished they'd been born twenty years later...

You see something in him that I don't....

and it's fairplay...Got Witter on a bad night for me....

Alexander I never rated....But hey maybe I'm wrong but just rather see Khan look elsewhere..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:19 pm

[quote="TRUSSMAN66"]
Jog on Khan fight Brook, Morales, Judah,Mayweather etc and just leave this plodder behind..

quote]

Bradley is seen as the man at the weight. Holds 2 titles.
How can Brook (who hasnt anyone above domestic class) or a shot Morales be considered a better fight for Khan?

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:21 pm

Maussa was WBA welterweight champion...I was hoping Hatton would leave him alone....

Not seen at as the man at the weight to me....

Hence my opinion..

Morales is more skillful and probably a bigger fight.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not seen at as the man at the weight to me....

Hence my opinion..

By you maybe, but he is considered the man at the weight by most credible sources, including boxrec and ring magazine (who also have him No.6 P4P).

Morales is finished. How would beating a washed up legend be a bigger fight than beating a Top 10 P4P'er in a unification event?

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:41 pm

Really cant see how a blown up past it super featherweight like Morales is a bigger or better fight?

Like him or not hes beat everyone thats been put in front of him, has 2 of the belts and has some decent names on his record.

If Khan wants to be the man at the weight he has to go through Bradley.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:43 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Maussa was WBA welterweight champion...I was hoping Hatton would leave him alone....

Not seen at as the man at the weight to me....

Hence my opinion..

Truss - you're missing the bigger picture - although titles mean less these days - having one improves your worth - to yourself and other boxers - hence bigger paydays and increased bargaining power. Hence why Hatton went for Maussa and why Khan wants Bradley etc.

It is a business after all.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:43 pm

It depends on how you rate Bradley..I think he's a glorified journeyman...

I thought Morales beat Maidana....

I think Morales has more talent...

My opinion is my opinion.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:45 pm

You not think a win over a faded legend and the limelight that will bring will not benefit him more than a guy that doesn't sell in his own Country!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:48 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You not think a win over a faded legend and the limelight that will bring will not benefit him more than a guy that doesn't sell in his own Country!!!!

He will get stick if he goes for Morales and not much Kudos from beating him. Why not unify the division with 4 belts and get some stick for beating some guy that wasn't brilliant but still a live young opponent. No brainer for me.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:50 pm

I don't know what all the fuss is about either, he wins fights and is effective at what he does, he's a decent fighter, but he's not my cup of tea.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:50 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You not think a win over a faded legend and the limelight that will bring will not benefit him more than a guy that doesn't sell in his own Country!!!!

No. Not at all. It would be like the Barrera debacle all over again. I dont see how you can get any respect for beating blown up faded legends. Dont be fooled by Morales performance vs Maidana. That just highlights more Maidanas weaknesses and flaws than what Morales has left. He's shot.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:53 pm

Morales is coming off a great fight with Maidana..one which a majority had him winning....

Not the same thing as Marco at all......

Maidana's weaknesses weren't highlighted against the all of a sudden "Excellent" Ortiz or Khan were they....??

Morales fought well and is an option..

A "BIGGER FIGHT" option than boring Tim

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 06 Jul 2011, 3:03 pm

To be honest I turned off the Morales Maidana fight after 2 rounds as Maidana was pummelling him and didnt want to watch that. I've rewatched it since and it was a great performance from Erik but showed me 2 things, that hes shot and how limited Maidana is. If he cant get you out of there with his wild looping shots he has nothing.

But hes not a LWW and hes clearly past it. Hes lost 6 out of his last 10 fights steadily getting worse. legend of a fighter but hasnt been relevant in the last 5 years. Absolute disgrace of a fight if it happens

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 3:07 pm

But people are happy for a Khan-Maidana rematch!!!!..The guy that nearly cleaned him up...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 06 Jul 2011, 3:17 pm

Styles make fights and all that. Maidana and Khan is more appealing as its the old matador and bull scenario. Maidanas a big strong LWW. Khan should easily beat him but as we've seen before if Maidana can get through he can hurt Khan. Similar scenario with Morales and Maidana to a lesser extent. Morales much more skilfull and was able to be competitive due to his skills and Maidanas wild style.

I dont see what Morales brings to the table that troubles Khan. Hes too small and not good enough to outbox Khan at this stage of their careers. He got away with it against Maidanas cos hes a crude slugger.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 06 Jul 2011, 3:19 pm

Like to add that although hes a crude slugger hes done really well for himself. Has shown great heart and courage against Khan and Ortiz. Dunno how he recovered and came back so strongly after that body shot in the 1st against Khan.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 06 Jul 2011, 4:47 pm

Bradley may or may not be all that, and each to their own opinion there. However, I'm convinced that it is a worthwhile prospect, both for the two fighters concerned and for the sport of boxing as a whole, to have a properly undisputed champion in a weight class. There could be no doubt as to which was the leading man at 140 if Khan and Bradley were to fight, and that would be meaningful, both for their future earning prospects and, dare I say it, for their legacy.

We may say that Hatton was the best 140 pounder of his day, but that was never conclusively proved for a variety of reasons, with at least two major names at the weight going unfought (Cotto and Witter). Here, the chance to remove all doubt for Khan, which comes very rarely for any fighter, should be grabbed with both hands. In my opinion, his status as an undisputed light-welter champ, with power to add would entitle him to a UK pound for pound spot significantly above Hatton, all things being relatively equal for the rest of his career.

Last edited by captain carrantuohil on Wed 06 Jul 2011, 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 4:53 pm

You honestly think people these days care about Hatton-Witter when he fought Manny and Floyd.....

Your opinion is welcome but I disagree there...

Morales, Judah and Mayweather should they arise more than negates the ordinary Bradley...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 06 Jul 2011, 5:04 pm

If they don't care, then they ought to, Truss. It was a fight that should have happened at 140 and would have removed all doubt about the best at the weight. Floyd was a fight at welter, of course, where Ricky never looked comfortable anyway. I maintain that it would have been a tremendous feather in Hatton's cap and a massive boost to his legacy to have had official acknowledgement of his status as the best of his division in his day.

Boxing isn't just about super-fights; they're the jam on the bread that is hard-ground by clearing up the best of the rest. I understand your point, but I do believe that boxing itself would be better, and the super-fights that much more super, if the proper spadework were done beforehand.

Last edited by captain carrantuohil on Wed 06 Jul 2011, 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 06 Jul 2011, 5:12 pm

Without any great desire to re-open a debate which has been done to death Floyd and Manny were two fights over a 40 odd fight career. For large parts of Ricky's reign at 140 Junior was the widely accepted number 2. For reasons that have been done to death Ricky chose not to fight him, but the reason that he was consistently fighting better fighters or bigger draws is simply not the case.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 06 Jul 2011, 5:12 pm

I dont get your obsession with a Morales fight is. You still havent answered how a fight against a blown up, faded super feather whos lost 6 out of his last 10 fights is a more credible fight than a unification bout against Bradley?

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 5:13 pm

Think Witter will be a mere footnote and Hatton remembered as a great fighter....

Won't affect his legacy.....with the people who matter (Not you and me)..

Bradley just doesn't sell and is ordinary for the money he wants....

Morales, Mayweather, Judah just as bonafide in the eyes of the greatness measurers for me...

Not obsessed with anything....Morales is a good fight..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 06 Jul 2011, 5:22 pm

Why is is a good fight?

What does Morales have that will trouble Khan at this stage of his career? Its a nothing fight.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 5:24 pm

At what stage of his career????

His best win is a near disaster against Maidana..

Who in my opinion was outboxed by Morales...

What do you mean at this stage??? Who has Khan beat in Morales league???? Mccloskey???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 06 Jul 2011, 5:25 pm

The fact that Bradley doesn't sell well does not mean that he should be considered not worth fighting. If Khan fights Morales after Judah it will be very very one sided and I can't see any boxing fans justifying it as a good fight if Bradley was still an option. Also I hope Khan doesn't move up to Welter any time soon as there are some great matches at Lightwelter that could be made. It has to be one of the most competitive divisions in boxing at the moment, I wouldn't mind seeing Khan fight any of Bradley, Maidana, Matthysse or Guerrero. I just hope he avoids Devon Alexander as I really hate that guy.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next