The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

+33
Mickado
Adam D
robbo277
RuggerRadge2611
Mick(TEFC)
welshjohn369
Pal Joey
Ozzy3213
littleswannygirl
perthshirepuma
HammerofThunor
The_Hound_of_Harrow
Rava
Gibson
MBTGOG
Sin é
mickyt
MeanAsCustard
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Notch
Thomond
Glas a du
TrailApe
Luckless Pedestrian
nottins
red_stag
Suspicious lurker
PenfroPete
Cari
prop_lyd
WillyGilly
OzT
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
37 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 19 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:19 am

First topic message reminder :

Welcome to the virtual rugby pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no defacing the Tommy Bowe photo on the bar. That's a banning offence

So pull up a chair....what'll it be? appletini guinness cider Ale

Link to the last Pub https://www.606v2.com/t8339-the-dew-dropshot-inn-virtual-rugby-pub#236042
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 19 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Cari Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:11 pm

You watching the whole 11 hours Hughie? Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 19 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Suspicious lurker Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:20 pm

Na just the morning, headed to work soon, my brother just rang me though and another jumper today, this time in Junction so.its really going to make things awkward for the way
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyt Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:34 pm

one mans death is another mans frustration and back log of work.

that does happen quite often doesn't it?
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:45 pm

Strangely enough T yeah it does, they tend to come in speats if 3/4 in a couple of weeks then nothing for a few months then the cycle starts again
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyt Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:50 pm

I don't think that's overly strange. 1. because some people feeling that way tend to do things in a "copycat" style once they hear of someone else doing it.

2. I would imagine if someone was looking for something quick and instant, then that's an option for them maybe.

I would feel sorry for the drivers or what ever as it must be traumatic for them
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:57 pm

Micky - bad news. The shop have no balls for you. Grrr! Given your Weight Watchers thingy are you allowed sweet treats? Or would you prefer not to?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyt Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:57 pm

ah Cari, don't worry about bringing me over anything at all. I will be fine. you brought lots the last time and much appreciated. so honestly don't worry about it.

thanks though
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:58 pm

Provisional ficture lists are out to the Pro12 (still sounds weird to me) sides; just waiting on the Blues, Ospreys and Glasgow to verify that the grounds they share will be available for all fixtures Rolling Eyes

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0714/1224300711170.html
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:00 pm

OK Micky...I'll shout you a cider instead? I know you haven't cut that out altogether Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:07 pm

hughie1986 wrote:Na just the morning, headed to work soon, my brother just rang me though and another jumper today, this time in Junction so.its really going to make things awkward for the way

You seem to get them a lot. Is there a high rate of this in London. I hadn't heard of it being a big issue before
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:10 pm

Staggy - there probably seems to be more of it in London because of the location and population. Also, given Hughie's connections he'll hear about it more than the rest of us around the country, doesn't mean it's not happening elsewhere.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:13 pm

True. Very sad that people choose to do that. Its other people who have to deal with it.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:14 pm

red_stag wrote:True. Very sad that people choose to do that. Its other people who have to deal with it.

What you have to remember though Staggy, is you can say that as someone who is thinking rationally. When you get to that point, you're not thinking rationally and actually, what appears to be a selfish act can sometimes come from feeling the complete opposite.

Last edited by Cari on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:17 pm

Cari - I didn't say it was selfish. I said it was sad which it most certainly is on so many levels. A guy I went to school did it earlier this year - left a fiance behind. But he wasn't thinking right his father had done it 1 month previous and he couldn't deal with it. Really affected him very very sad.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:19 pm

red_stag wrote:Cari - I didn't say it was selfish. I said it was sad which it most certainly is on so many levels. A guy I went to school did it earlier this year - left a fiance behind. But he wasn't thinking right his father had done it 1 month previous and he couldn't deal with it. Really affected him very very sad.

I appreciate that. What I mean is that the person doesn't stop to think about what happens afterwards. Of course other people are left to deal with it - like any other bereavement.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:23 pm

red_stag wrote:
hughie1986 wrote:Na just the morning, headed to work soon, my brother just rang me though and another jumper today, this time in Junction so.its really going to make things awkward for the way

You seem to get them a lot. Is there a high rate of this in London. I hadn't heard of it being a big issue before

Given the sheer scale of London, you'd expect that a number of people are taking their lives... If my calculations are correct using some statistics whipped off wikipedia, there are probably around 2 suicides in London every day (720 a year)

And that is using figures from 2008. Since then, the mental health services in Britain have faced budget cuts* and the economic situation has gotten worse. I think it's fair to speculate the suicide rate is rising.

*Now that... really makes me angry.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:24 pm

Yea I think some people get very militant "I have no respect for anyone who'd do that etc" but as you say these people aren't thinking rationally. Its a type of illness that goes against every basic human instinct - survival. Anyone who thinks that way is to be pitied not condemned in my book no matter how much grief they cause anyone.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:27 pm

red_stag wrote:Yea I think some people get very militant "I have no respect for anyone who'd do that etc"

Idiotic. People love to talk about something they know nothing about.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Notch wrote:
red_stag wrote:Yea I think some people get very militant "I have no respect for anyone who'd do that etc"

Word of warning - pretty sure this came up in the pub before and a few pub regs thought this type of way.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:34 pm

Well, then they haven't experienced the issue of suicide themselves or with someone very close to them like I have.

Last edited by Notch on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:34 pm

Notch - Back in the 1970s/80s one of Margaret Thatcher's sensible policies was to close the old Victorian mental hospitals making people with mental health problems live in the community and manage their illness. It's not that she cared of course, it just saved a lot of money. On the one hand it was a good idea, because in those days you went into an asylum for the least thing. Now of course, what you have, are people who are seriously mentally ill missing out on treatment because they're expected to sort themselves out, they're on a long waiting list or the treatments just aren't available to them. I think these days people are generally more unhappy and under pressure in Western society anyway.

Last edited by Cari on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:35 pm

Suicide is an issue very close to my heart. I myself am too much of a wuss to even think about doing it.

A poor woman jumed off the Tay bridge the day before yesterday, the story goes she lost her Father and greif from that caused her to miscarry her baby.

She attempted suicide but survived and is criticly ill in hospital. Stories like this break the heart.

Furthermore this was brought up before in here. I have lost someone to something like this, and the suicide itself is hard enough to deal with. The guilt however of thinking that you could have talked to the person or perhaps done something else to prevent it never leaves you.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:37 pm

red_stag wrote:
Notch wrote:

Word of warning - pretty sure this came up in the pub before and a few pub regs thought this type of way.

To be fair Notch, it is one of those situations people know little about until they've been affected by it in some way themselves. Also, as Staggy alluded to (suicide being against survivial instinct), for some people it's just incomprehensable that someone would choose to end their life.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Also people deal with things differently.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:41 pm

Indeed Staggy. I think it's fair to say that no one can judge anyone on these issues.

Anyway, how the hell did we get so down in here??? Good grief this pub was like the Marie Celeste before we got onto this!

What's going on your Christmas list this year?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:42 pm

A bit early for christmas lists Cari!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:42 pm

Cari wrote:Notch - Back in the 1970s/80s one of Margaret Thatcher's sensible policies was to close the old Victorian mental hospitals giving people with mental health problems to live in the community and manage their illness. It's not that she cared of course, it just saved a lot of money. On the one hand it was a good idea, because in those days you went into an asylum for the least thing. Now of course, what you have, are people who are seriously mentally ill missing out on treatment because they're expected to sort themselves out, they're on a long waiting list or the treatments just aren't available to them. I think these days people are generally more unhappy and under pressure in Western society anyway.

In practice, there aren't enough CPNs to provide the level of care needed- contact is lower and important things are missed. Caseloads are too large in practice and vulnerable people slip through the cracks. The level of care is good; medications are freely available which is the most important thing. But face time with psychiatric staff just isn't high enough or regular enough to really help a lot of people, and that's all to do with cutbacks.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:44 pm

Thomond wrote:A bit early for christmas lists Cari!

oh OK then...what's your rugby season wish list?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:44 pm

Cari I'm a gadget fan. Actually my latest pressie to myself is a new old-school razor. I've found that real old style shaving is only way I can do it regularly and not get a rash. A badger brush, a blade and citrus oils are the way to go!! Gillette foams and Multi Bladed things leave me looking in agony. So thats my latest pressie to myself. A good quality razor Smile
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:45 pm

A rugby world cup is a bit fanciful but a Robocop isn't out of the question.

Last edited by Thomond on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed the name of the league.)

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:47 pm

red_stag wrote:Cari I'm a gadget fan. Actually my latest pressie to myself is a new old-school razor. I've found that real old style shaving is only way I can do it regularly and not get a rash. A badger brush, a blade and citrus oils are the way to go!! Gillette foams and Multi Bladed things leave me looking in agony. So thats my latest pressie to myself. A good quality razor Smile

Staggy do you mean one of those cut throat razors like Sweeney Todd used? Shocked

You could always grow a massive beard Very Happy

Thom - I'd like to se Wales have a good world cup...to win their group would be good. Ospreys will get the Pro12...goes without sayin.. Wink Not sure how they'll fair in the Heino. Of course I'd love it if they made it to a QF or a Semi at least Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:50 pm

Cari wrote:Staggy do you mean one of those cut throat razors like Sweeney Todd used? Shocked

Not really. A blade like this Blade I could put it into an old school razor then.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:52 pm

Sounds dangerous anyway. Do you get bored when your shaving?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:54 pm

Ulster to win the Pro12. That is my wish!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:55 pm

Cari wrote:Sounds dangerous anyway. Do you get bored when your shaving?

No I find it soothing.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:57 pm

Is that all Notch? Nothing for Ireland?

Staggy - Perhaps you have some of your most profound thoughts whilst shaving...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:58 pm

I hate having to shave. If I could grow decent facial hair I wouldn't shave at all.

EDIT: I enjoy the feeling of being clean-shaven. But I still don't enjoy shaving. I used to have real problems with shaving. My dad never showed me how to shave. I ended up having to look for tips online.

Last edited by luckless_pedestrian on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:59 pm

A decent showing at the World Cup would be awesome, but yeah- a trophy for Ulster would really make my year!

I'll say I hope Ireland take the Six Nations.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:00 pm

Good news for two of the Welsh Regions. It looks like Dragons get to whoop Munster away first up and Ospreys get to whoop Leinster too.

Perfect start to the season Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:02 pm

Risca - really?! I wouldn't mind going to the RDS again...I'm squeezing in my trips this year as i don't know what'll happen to me in 2012 job wise. Very Happy

Do you know when the O's are away to Munster by any chance?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:09 pm

I think it's Leinster home for you. I hope the fixture list is kind to you then. Belfast and Cork are probably what you'll want before Jan then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:12 pm

Risca - that's even better actually cause I'd go to the Lib to see Leinster. I was hoping I could get over to see Munster at some point. I doubt the fixtures will be that kind to me!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:18 pm

https://www.606v2.com/t9438-o-gara-out-of-the-world-cup#275925

One for the wall, Ireland are going into the world cup like the walking wounded!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:24 pm

SHIIIIIT!

We really, really need Humphreys from the beginning of next season with Wallace and Pienaar missing... big time. This could be a disaster for Ulster.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:25 pm

'I just pushed the body too hard and got a bit of a twinge. I'm nearly back, hopefully I'll be back this week.

Don't do that to me Thomond!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:27 pm

Notch wrote:SHIIIIIT!

We really, really need Humphreys from the beginning of next season with Wallace and Pienaar missing... big time. This could be a disaster for Ulster.

I simply can't believe that this is your train of thought.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:34 pm

red_stag wrote:

Well, you have a Munster fan attitude towards the Pro12.

Ireland lose a guy who isn't first choice in his position, call up a guy to get absolutely zero gametime and hold tackle bags as emergency cover. Not a big deal for Ireland.

Whereas losing that guy is a massive deal for Ulster. Capitalising on the period when other teams are missing players will be massive for Ulster. I've already said that my big dream for this season is Ulster winning the Pro12. I know we won't win the Heineken Cup, and Ireland won't win the World Cup so I know what my priority is.

Playing the first two months of the season with two U20s outhalves could leave us well outside the contenders for a home semi-final which is where we need to be.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:41 pm

Notch wrote:
red_stag wrote:

Well, you have a Munster fan attitude towards the Pro12.

???? How is that relevant. Humphreys is our next best #10. If we lose someone he travels. Ulster's plight isn't the national teams concern.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:44 pm

I never said it was. My views are my own, I'm not speaking for the IRFU here.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Notch wrote:I never said it was. My views are my own, I'm not speaking for the IRFU here.

I know I just find it a warped view.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next