The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite Punch and Greatest Exponent

+11
Mr Bounce
ChelskiFanski
Mind the windows Tino.
lightsout
captain carrantuohil
fearlessBamber
Michaels, Sean
Union Cane
Fists of Fury
ONETWOFOREVER
TopHat24/7
15 posters

Go down

Favourite Punch and Greatest Exponent Empty Favourite Punch and Greatest Exponent

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:45 pm

Inspired by some of the recent articles, I thought I'd ask the simple question (but hopefully generating a myriad of answers) - what is your favourite punch and who do you think is its greatest ever exponent?

There's plenty to choose from but a few ideas:

- Jab
- Straight
- Hook
- Check hook
- Uppercut
- Screwed uppercut to body (a la Benn)
- Short/half uppercut
- Cross
- Bolo
- Overhand
- Spinning backfist (sorry)

For my money, my favourite punch is the jab. I think it's an unglamorous and subsequently under-rated/under-emphasised punch, particularly among young up'n'coming boxers however I believe it is boxing fundamentals 101 and a good jab is the foundation to a good boxer.

And I think it's greatest exponent was Thomas Hearns (thought I may be slightly biased as he's also my favourite boxer...)

Over to you...

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Favourite Punch and Greatest Exponent Empty Re: Favourite Punch and Greatest Exponent

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:50 pm

Right hook - delivered best by Mike Tyson.

example?

Tyson v Givens - great (well deserved) right hook.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Favourite Punch and Greatest Exponent Empty Re: Favourite Punch and Greatest Exponent

Post by Fists of Fury Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:53 pm

Spinning backfist laughing - onetwo is my favourite exponent.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:55 pm

Spinning backfist - onetwo is my favourite exponent.

Seriously speaking I was very good at it, knock a guy out once. Effective, viable technique imo.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:02 pm

Counter left hook - Calvin Brock

Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:08 pm

1 inch death punch. Unfortunately i can't decide between Steven Seagal and John Prescott who utilised it best.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:11 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Spinning backfist - onetwo is my favourite exponent.

Seriously speaking I was very good at it, knock a guy out once. Effective, viable technique imo.

I invented Cream Crackers,

Sincerely,

Jacob.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:26 pm

well the veneer of credibility of my thread didn't take long to disappear did it....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:39 pm

I'll try to put it back where I think you wanted it, Top Hat...

I've always felt that the left hook, obviously out of the orthodox stance, otherwise it becomes a cross, is boxing's most aesthetically pleasing punch. Delivered properly, it has so often been the most devastating. A number of my favourite KOs (Robinson-Fullmer, Curry-McCrory, McCallum-Curry) have come via that particular blow.

I can't think of anyone who threw it as often, as technically well or with such consistently superb results as Joe Frazier.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:42 pm

You'd have to include Brock's demolition of Lawrence there captain, as I mentioned above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cb5NsR1xng
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:44 pm

The PBF 'Cheque Punch', from the Hatton fight ie left hook.

PBF comes with a different version as well, the lunching left hook which he floored Marquez with ........pure genius.

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:49 pm

Hard to say he was the greatest exponent of it, but I used to really enjoy watching JCC land a few withering left hooks to the liver. Fabulously debilitating punch and Chavez was a master of it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChelskiFanski Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:53 pm

Left hook to the body - just underneath/behind the ribs. Hit someone hard enough there and it will finish them as quickly as a punch to the chin.

Not really sure who was the greatest exponent but a nice example is Hatton's KO of (a shot) Jose Luis Castillo.

ChelskiFanski

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:55 pm

ChelskiFanski wrote:Left hook to the body - just underneath/behind the ribs. Hit someone hard enough there and it will finish them as quickly as a punch to the chin.

Not really sure who was the greatest exponent but a nice example is Hatton's KO of (a shot) Jose Luis Castillo.

David Tua's left hook to the head has been pretty impressive in the past. Vs Ruiz was a case in point.

However, I particularly loved Ola Afolabi's overhand right on Terry Dunstan last Saturday. Gumshield flies a mile and goodnight Terry! Shocked

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:11 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:I'll try to put it back where I think you wanted it, Top Hat...

I've always felt that the left hook, obviously out of the orthodox stance, otherwise it becomes a cross, is boxing's most aesthetically pleasing punch. Delivered properly, it has so often been the most devastating. A number of my favourite KOs (Robinson-Fullmer, Curry-McCrory, McCallum-Curry) have come via that particular blow.

I can't think of anyone who threw it as often, as technically well or with such consistently superb results as Joe Frazier.

Successfully too by the looks of the great posts since...thanks!

In terms of a favourite actual punch, rather than type, I've always loved RJJ's ko from holding his hands behind his back. Devastating.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:34 pm

In terms of a favourite actual punch, rather than type, I've always loved RJJ's ko from holding his hands behind his back. Devastating.

Yep he was definitely on PEDS.

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:17 pm

its the uppercut that is the most underated punch in my eyes- lewis had a great uppercutt.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:55 am

Jab would be the most important, an uppercut a great set up punch and a left or right hook perfect for finishing a fighter off. But in saying that theres something about a crippling body shot that does it for me! love to see a shot to the body take someome down!

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:38 pm

love to see a shot to the body take someome down!
----------

Whatever floats your boat, RJJs right cross to the kidneys of Virgil Hill is a masterpeice to be honest.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:12 pm

It's got to be the jab of Larry Holmes for me. Like was said in the OP it's the foundation of a good boxer and no one did it better than Larry imo.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down