The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sky turn their back on Khan

+5
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
AlexHuckerby
Young_Towzer
eddyfightfan
ThrowingLeather
9 posters

Go down

Sky turn their back on Khan Empty Sky turn their back on Khan

Post by ThrowingLeather Wed 13 Jul 2011, 7:42 pm

Khan's upcoming fight with Judah is due to be screened on Primetime..

It seems he offered the fight to Sky only to be turned down. Is this another example of Khan's ego? Insisting the fight be on Box Office when it clearly isn't worthy

I notice he said "They showed my fight with Dmitri Salita. I would have thought this was a better contest than that.". Once bitten Amir?

Again he's run to Primetime to screen the fight so he can charge PPV. Surely he's not making much here and he'd be better on Sky Sports for the exposure?

Primetime claim they had 70,000 buys for Khan vs McCloskey ?! I find that hard to believe....did anyone on here buy it??

It seems Amir's ego has left him as an outcast. I think he needs to get rid of the hangers on.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxingandmma/8567372/Sky-Sports-rejection-of-Amir-Khan-fight-with-Zab-Judah-baffles-British-world-champion.html

ThrowingLeather

Back to top Go down

Sky turn their back on Khan Empty Re: Sky turn their back on Khan

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 13 Jul 2011, 8:15 pm

i think a unifaction fight between judah and khan as more than ppv worthy, i think its more a case of sky holding a grudge over the mccloskey buisness- and who can blame them. you dont bite the hand that feeds you.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 13 Jul 2011, 8:15 pm

Khan's better than Murray and Mitchell don't get me wrong but i'd rather watch two young brits, the 2 best lightweights in the country imo, fight for the right to box for a world title than watch Khan box some shot to bits has been in a sham of a fight for £15, Chisora v Fury's also a better fight live on five on the night, Saturday's show by warren with 4 title fights and potentially interesting fights are much better than this clown fighting his steretypical opponents again.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 13 Jul 2011, 8:19 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:i think a unifaction fight between judah and khan as more than ppv worthy, i think its more a case of sky holding a grudge over the mccloskey buisness- and who can blame them. you dont bite the hand that feeds you.

Judah's finished, a robbery over Matthysse and a win over a poor Mabuza don't fool me, and by the sounds of things don't fool sky, he slates them all the time as well, good luck to him, goodbye Amir. Sky don't need him anyway, they have Brook, Barker, Cleverly, and the rest of the FW stable, Maloney's fighters, Hatton fighters ie Crolla, Munroe, Murray, you would think at least 1 of them 3 will box for a world title soon, a daft deluded simpleton won't bother them.

Khan v Fagan - PPV but unworthy
Khan v Barrera - PPV but unworthy
Khan v Kotelnik - PPV but unworthy
Khan v Salita - PPV but unworthy
Khan v Maidana - Worthy
Khan v Malignaggi - normal TV but wouldn't of been worthy
Khan v McCloskey - PPV but unworthy

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 13 Jul 2011, 8:33 pm

i'd agreed that were getting spoiled with the free domestic action, but i expect to pay for title bouts (mostly) and think this is better than most. the undercard to me is the deciding factor if a event is PPV worthy.

of the above i'd say barrera, kotelink, maidana and malignaggi are worthy, the rest arent.

easy for me to say though as i stream absolutly everything and the only PPV ive ever ordered was haye/klitchsho

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 13 Jul 2011, 8:38 pm

Serves him right but Primetime isn't bad, and if you like watching Khan fight or are a big fan having to turn the channel to 480 won't stop you...
One problem is advertising it to the casual fans considering tey don't really have the Sky revenue or channels to advertise for free.
I do wonder what numbers these will do considering the fight is in the early hours of the morning, to be fair I see the fight doing pretty well in America, big unification fight and they haven't given up on Judah yet since he won his title and has looked dedicated again. But numbers even on SBO aren't usually good at 2am and only big fight fans will stay up that late or some casuals making a real night of it, don't really think Khan has the mega fan base to do that though. Though he is becoming bigger in America and HBo are hyping him to be the next big thing, it's not ALL bad. I'm personally more than happy to listen to free on BBC Radio 5 Live, however I kinda like Primetime a bit now after the Bute / Mendy card so I might give them my £15.

Last edited by AlexHuckerby on Wed 13 Jul 2011, 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 13 Jul 2011, 8:38 pm

I buy most PPV's and have been a primetime customer since the channel started even paying for Vitali K vs Albert Sosnowski. Won't have a problem paying for this either.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by ThrowingLeather Wed 13 Jul 2011, 9:22 pm

Regarding how Primetime plan to advertise the event...

..I got an automated telephone message from them today reminding me the fight is 'Less than 2 weeks away'

If this happens everyday up until the fight Im personally going to go to the offices and kick someone in the face.

ThrowingLeather

Back to top Go down

Post by ThrowingLeather Wed 13 Jul 2011, 9:23 pm

I paid for Froch Dirrell but haven't bothered with Primetime since.

ThrowingLeather

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul 2011, 9:25 pm

You have to realise Khan has a massive market over here....He could probably sell 30,000 subscriptions in Yoorkshire and Manchester alone..

He's an Asian kid at the top of his game from an ethnic background that hasn't got any stand out sportsmen...

Trailblazer and it's time you realised that..

Heck he was selling ppv pre-title..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 13 Jul 2011, 9:42 pm

Yes but not getting particularly large numbers Truss and still hasn't got massive numbers since. You are right in the whole "He's one of us kind of things" as ethnicity and background do make you more sellable, look at Hatton involved with a football club and they all followed him because he was "One of us" not to mention he was in good fights, and so is Khan for the most part.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul 2011, 9:52 pm

Oscar only sold on PPV after the title..the fact this kid sold before shows they were taking advantage of his ethnicity..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 13 Jul 2011, 9:55 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You have to realise Khan has a massive market over here....He could probably sell 30,000 subscriptions in Yoorkshire and Manchester alone..

He's an Asian kid at the top of his game from an ethnic background that hasn't got any stand out sportsmen...

Trailblazer and it's time you realised that..

Heck he was selling ppv pre-title..

His first ppv fight with Prescott was a brilliant display, the brits have been besotted ever since, watched that in a pub and told everyone the best fight was Cook v Arthur which it was.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul 2011, 10:01 pm

Don't like him much do you..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 13 Jul 2011, 10:17 pm

This would be on Sky Box Office if it was UK time, no doubt.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul 2011, 10:19 pm

Think Scotty is right......

Whilst Khan sells over here..he probably doesn't at that time of the morning enough to garner Sky's interest..

Nothing personal when it comes to money...If Khan is viable theyll use him.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 13 Jul 2011, 10:23 pm

you're probably right, Khan will still generate a lot of interest on Primetime though, I do wonder whether it will do better numbers than McCloskey... Granted it's a better fight and that did the best numbers on Primetime the channel has ever seen, however the fact that its on early hours in the morning says to me it may do worse numbers. (Possibly)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 13 Jul 2011, 10:25 pm

No Irish angle either. McCloskey's support was great at the fight, Khan's too to be honest. Possibly the best atmosphere at a fight I've been to, couldn't hear Buffer at all.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 13 Jul 2011, 10:26 pm

Scottrf wrote:No Irish angle either. McCloskey's support was great at the fight, Khan's too to be honest. Possibly the best atmosphere at a fight I've been to, couldn't hear Buffer at all.

Until the fight became a bit one sided and a bit of a snorefest you mean.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 13 Jul 2011, 10:27 pm

Yeah, before it started!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jul 2011, 10:29 pm

Always rated Mccloskey..It kind of goes to show that the kid with his good jab, speed, height and reach could be a handful for anybody!!!

Just his lack of concentration that will hold him back.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 13 Jul 2011, 10:32 pm

Think he will sort that out as he matures, and I don't think his concentration is that bad, just about anyone can get caught at any given time, he's not exactly the most defensively minded fighter to be fair Truss...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 14 Jul 2011, 1:08 am

Khan PPVs sold well pre-title because of the stacked undercards Warren put on. It was around the time there was a lot of buzz around the Olympic guys. People had some value for money because it appealed to a wider audience.

Khan has since left Warren and look at the cards Golden Not are sticking him on... bar the Maidana fight, a lot of the undercard fighters have pulled out and caused a headache for Sky due to the obvious decline in interest.

It isn't Khan God-given right to get PPV every fight like Hatton, Hamed and Lewis received, especially in a time where people are happy enough to pinch their pennies, the average boxing fan already has to pay a subscription to SS1, a separate subscription to SS2 AND folk out £15 (plus an additional 3 quid on top if ypu never used Primetime before!!!) to watch a poorly stacked PPV.. THE AMERICANS ARE HAVING IT FREE FOR PETES SAKE!

I've posted on the subject before and at risk of repeating myself... Khan will lose stock by doing this, it makes him come across as a stuck up, greedy little twerp.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 14 Jul 2011, 8:37 pm

I doubt they would pass up the Bradley fight but they may have washed their hands with him.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 14 Jul 2011, 8:38 pm

I'd be suprised if the Bradley fight didn't go to Sky but if they well and truly have turned their backs...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down