The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Well if you can't beat em' should have been the caption...

+52
Sin é
welshy824
Adam D
emack2
Artful_Dodger
Countnefarious
antipodean
blackcanelion
The_Hound_of_Harrow
Hood83
Pal Joey
maestegmafia
Pot Hale
red_stag
Shifty
EnglishReign
Breadvan
irishlondon
Irish Londoner
snoopster
funnyExiledScot
damngoodOvalball
nottins
TheGreyGhost
Luckless Pedestrian
PenfroPete
nathan
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
sirtidychris
BATH_BTGOG
kiakahaaotearoa
caoimhincentre
welshjohn369
chewed_mintie
HammerofThunor
Effervescing Elephant
propdavid_london
Portnoy
G2
beshocked
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
RuggerRadge2611
disneychilly
Biltong
Rob B
boomeranga
robbo277
doctor_grey
Notch
aucklandlaurie
ML
Taylorman
56 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

'Well if you can't beat em' should have been the caption... - Page 7 Empty 'Well if you can't beat em' should have been the caption...

Post by Taylorman Fri 15 Jul 2011, 1:47 am

First topic message reminder :

Rugby commentator Keith Quinn has labelled plans by the England team to wear an all-black strip at the Rugby World Cup as ''crazy''.

''Of all the colours in the rainbow, why would they choose the colour of the host nation?'' he said.

''They are thumbing their noses at a New Zealand tradition. It's bizarre."

The new away strip will feature when England kick-off their World Cup campaign against Argentina in Dunedin on September 10.

"The decision is certain to ruffle a few Kiwi feathers and could even spark a diplomatic row with the host nation before a ball has been kicked," The Daily Mail reported.

The shirt and the shorts of the new strip are understood to be jet black, with no other colour except for the Red Rose badge.

The iconic All Blacks jersey has a 127-year history, dating back to 1884. England's new away strip will be officially unveiled by Nike on August 1.

Quinn suspected jersey sales were behind the move.

''They will often switch jerseys so people have to buy the new colour."

The New Zealand rugby public would not be happy, Quinn said.

"I don't think they will throw things, but they will be scornful of England coming into our territory wearing black."

Asked what he thought of the English team's new black away-strip, lock Ali Williams said "I couldn't care what they wear. It's training stuff, not what they play in."

When told it was what they would play in, Williams replied: "Oh it is? All black? Let's hope they don't play us then. It'd look funny, two teams running around in black."

England's move to black also diminished its own proud red and white history, Quinn said.

"It's crazy."

While officially England's away strip, it will be worn for their three World Cup warm-up matches in August and for their tournament opener.

It could be worn for other pool games and beyond, however should England meet the All Blacks in the final they would return to their traditional white uniform.

England's training kit for the World Cup also has a Kiwi twist - with a red rose crest on the chest surrounded by ancient Maori symbols and decorations.

England players were not asked about the colour of the new kit, but were understood to be excited about wearing it even though they risk upsetting the host nation, The Daily Mail reported.

The English Rugby Football Union have spoken to their NZRU counterparts, who reportedly said they had no objection to the black strip.

The All Blacks will unveil a new high-tech jersey against South Africa in their opening Investec Tri Nations match at Westpac Stadium on July 30.

In 2007, a lost coin toss meant the All Blacks had to wear their silver away strip for their ill-fated quarter final against France in Cardiff.

France wore a blue jersey some believed had been darkened in a deliberate move to force the All Blacks out of their iconic strip into the alternate jersey.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/5289989/England-go-all-black-for-Rugby-World-Cup

Don't see any problem... If they think it will make them play better all good. Just a little odd.

Don't see why it would ruffle feathers and the NZRU have said they didn't have a problem with it though you'd think strategically people could come up with better ideas?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

'Well if you can't beat em' should have been the caption... - Page 7 Empty Re: 'Well if you can't beat em' should have been the caption...

Post by nottins Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:24 am

HammerofThunor wrote:
What were all those times they've tried to rile NZ?

You'll be waiting a long time for TGG to provide evidence of this happening.

nottins

Back to top Go down

'Well if you can't beat em' should have been the caption... - Page 7 Empty Re: 'Well if you can't beat em' should have been the caption...

Post by welshjohn369 Tue 19 Jul 2011, 5:55 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:
Folks, while the Maori/Welsh "history" stuff is interesting, it isn't really rugby related. And has nowt to do with English rugby jerseys. Thoughts on moving it down to it's own section under "off-topic"?

Also, just to correct WJ's stat, as at last September 51% of NZ's prison population was of Maori descent. While 15% of the general population identified themselves as Maori in the last Census

I stand corrected, I was using a statistic for one prison alone which I got wrong anyway,,,,it was 90% full of Maori.

OFF TOPIC sounds good to me, I have enough evidence to slaughter tgg with for months:)
welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

'Well if you can't beat em' should have been the caption... - Page 7 Empty England's All Black Strip

Post by offload Tue 19 Jul 2011, 3:56 pm

I didn't realise that England's new away strip was a little all black number (let's face it every wardrobe should have one). I would have thought that showing up in NZ in an all black strip would be asking for a bit of banter and I just came across these comments form the NZ Prime Minister - I love the fact that the PM wades in and talks about "a bunch of wannabies". Looks like the psychology wars have started. Is this a shrewd choice by England ?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup/5292571/England-players-wannabes-in-black-jerseys-PM
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 19 Jul 2011, 4:05 pm

This has been done on another post.

Black is slimming and some of those front row forwards for the English would be grateful for that. But there should be clear guidelines for the traditional strip so the jersey doesn´t clash when historically it never has like France and New Zealand.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 19 Jul 2011, 4:06 pm

Why would the jersey clash? Do you mean when the teams play each other? Surely England would just wear white and New Zealand would wear black?

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 19 Jul 2011, 4:17 pm

No Robbo, an England NZ game should never clash. An England Fiji game might well clash. But say France in the last RWC should not have been allowed to change their jersey so it clashed with the AB strip as traditionally both teams have played in their first choice strip. There are very few teams that clash in world rugby with the strip. Scotland and NZ have traditionally worn their alternative strips but that proved farcical in the last world cup as they looked identical.

All I´m saying is that you shouldn´t be allowed to change your shirt willy nilly as most jersey manufacturers want to do to make money forcing supporters to go out and buy the new one.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 19 Jul 2011, 4:23 pm

My GF who knows about such things, says that the average complexion of the New Zealander's is more suited to the darker colours and suggests some of the English players may look slightly gaunt and washed out, even neo-goth in black, especially that Chris Patterson.

She calls all rugby players Chris Patterson so I'm not sure exactly who she means, but I hope Nike took that into account.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Tue 19 Jul 2011, 4:32 pm

whats the beef with Chris Patterson?

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 19 Jul 2011, 5:35 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:My GF who knows about such things, says that the average complexion of the New Zealander's is more suited to the darker colours and suggests some of the English players may look slightly gaunt and washed out, even neo-goth in black, especially that Chris Patterson.

She calls all rugby players Chris Patterson so I'm not sure exactly who she means, but I hope Nike took that into account.

It's alright Ghost, we've got enough kiwi's who can stand at the front and pose for photo's. The goths can hang out around the back and just come out for game time.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7