The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cook should get his purse withheld!!!

+18
eddyfightfan
Union Cane
Valero's Conscience
AlexHuckerby
Scottrf
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Imperial Ghosty
The Galveston Giant
jbeadlesbigrighthand
themadworldofjb
BALTIMORA
Young_Towzer
Day V Lately
Lumbering_Jack
Rowley
ONETWOFOREVER
TRUSSMAN66
22 posters

Go down

Cook should get his purse withheld!!! Empty Cook should get his purse withheld!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:53 pm

Good job really that the card was full of British quality as this was riot inducing!!!

Sorry but If a crack on the back can cause that injury then he must have been hurt like that in sparring.....wasn't that big a blow....

As in The Danny Green fight.. a guy has come in the ring not fit for purpose and he shouldn't be recompensed for the inaction he offered..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Cook should get his purse withheld!!! Empty Re: Cook should get his purse withheld!!!

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:56 pm

Can of worms TRUSS. If they can find a way to pay Harrison after the Haye farce then I am sure Cook will get his purse.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Cook should get his purse withheld!!! Empty Re: Cook should get his purse withheld!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:57 pm

He shouldn't have been paid either...

Paid to offer a service....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 17 Jul 2011, 1:01 pm

I think Cook came into the fight with little to no ambition anyway. He has moved to Spain, opened a bar (as you do) and really his career is prob over now. Retirement and a place in the sun,

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 17 Jul 2011, 1:03 pm

Makes you wonder if it was one for the road...

Like Benn-Collins 2..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 17 Jul 2011, 1:04 pm

Will not derail it by going off too much about Harrison, but in that instance you had a guy who had shown go aggression in his career against the most talented and heavy handed fighter of his career. His passivity was totally inevitable.

However with regard to the fight last night definitely think it needs investigating because you have to think Cook has entered the ring in no condition to fight. Is unfair on the fans, the sport and Burns who will have gone to a long training camp. I know he is still getting paid but as one of Britain's least heralded champions would think he would have welcomed the opportunity to showcase himself in a proper fight.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 17 Jul 2011, 1:11 pm

However with regard to the fight last night definitely think it needs investigating because you have to think Cook has entered the ring in no condition to fight. Is unfair on the fans, the sport and Burns who will have gone to a long training camp. I know he is still getting paid but as one of Britain's least heralded champions would think he would have welcomed the opportunity to showcase himself in a proper fight.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agreed. I expected Cook to really go for Burns. Apart from Martinez who has Burns fought. Also Cook was talking up a potential domestic dust up with Mitchell if they both won their fights.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun 17 Jul 2011, 1:14 pm

I think Mitchell should move down and fight Burns. Burns, although a "world champion", has serious limitations and I wont take the most talented guy to expose these.

Mitchell, although below world level himself at LW, would comfortably outbox Burns and a wide UD.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 17 Jul 2011, 1:18 pm

Mitchell should stay at LW. If Warren can finally push Mitchell for a title shot (hopefully Rios) then he will make more money then going down to fight Burns. No money down there, its time for Mitchell to push on now, take the game seriously because he is not getting any younger. He has a decent record and should get another opportunity at a higher level. Maybe a re match with Katsidis?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun 17 Jul 2011, 1:22 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Mitchell should stay at LW. If Warren can finally push Mitchell for a title shot (hopefully Rios) then he will make more money then going down to fight Burns. No money down there, its time for Mitchell to push on now, take the game seriously because he is not getting any younger. He has a decent record and should get another opportunity at a higher level. Maybe a re match with Katsidis?

I dont see a rematch being any different. Murray was able to back Mitchell up early in the fight so he obviously hasnt learned to deal with pressure yet. Against a heavy hitter like Kats Mitchell will find himself being stopped again. He's not gone the chin to last with the big boys.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Sun 17 Jul 2011, 1:25 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Mitchell should stay at LW. If Warren can finally push Mitchell for a title shot (hopefully Rios) then he will make more money then going down to fight Burns. No money down there, its time for Mitchell to push on now, take the game seriously because he is not getting any younger. He has a decent record and should get another opportunity at a higher level. Maybe a re match with Katsidis?

I dont see a rematch being any different. Murray was able to back Mitchell up early in the fight so he obviously hasnt learned to deal with pressure yet. Against a heavy hitter like Kats Mitchell will find himself being stopped again. He's not gone the chin to last with the big boys.

I thought Mitchell's movement was a bit better when backed up by Murray, he also successfully changed tactics when told by his corner, still got caught a bit too often though. I also think he has a better chin than given credit, he's a hard man to put down.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 17 Jul 2011, 1:34 pm

Disgraceful to say he should have his purse witheld, he was clearly in pain and went the hospital, which obviously showed he had a slipped disc, was in top condition and had a genuine injury, another baffling outburst from you.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 17 Jul 2011, 1:35 pm

Day V Lately wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:

I thought Mitchell's movement was a bit better when backed up by Murray, he also successfully changed tactics when told by his corner, still got caught a bit too often though. I also think he has a better chin than given credit, he's a hard man to put down.

Katsidis is built like a tank at the weight though, and can bang (and loves to fight that way).

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun 17 Jul 2011, 1:37 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:Disgraceful to say he should have his purse witheld, he was clearly in pain and went the hospital, which obviously showed he had a slipped disc, was in top condition and had a genuine injury, another baffling outburst from you.

It is clearly an existing injury and I find it hard to believe that he wasnt aware this might happen. Proving it would be the hard part.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Sun 17 Jul 2011, 1:38 pm

I think your all being a bit harsh on Cook. I think he did the injury when he twisted to to try and avoid that first body shot. They said at the end of the Sky broadcast that he had a suspected perphorated disc. So tht will hurt a lot as u can imagine.

Cook was brave enough to give it a go but it was all in vain.

I hope Burns gets his big fight but as was discussed last night, travel will be the only option.
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Sun 17 Jul 2011, 2:46 pm

I don't wish to be rude, but some of the posts on this thread, and the OP itself, display complete ignorance of back injuries. Anyone can slip a disc at any time. It's as simple as that. It can happen out the blue, without any previous issues.

While it seems Cook was aware of an existing weakness in his back, that doesn't mean he should expect to experience a slipped disc in a fight. Regardless, if you start withholding purses on that basis where does it end? Should you withhold the purse of a fighter with brittle hands who breaks a hand?

To withhold a purse on the basis of an extremely unfortunate injury received during the fight would be a disgrace.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 17 Jul 2011, 2:52 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:I don't wish to be rude, but some of the posts on this thread, and the OP itself, display complete ignorance of back injuries. Anyone can slip a disc at any time. It's as simple as that. It can happen out the blue, without any previous issues.

While it seems Cook was aware of an existing weakness in his back, that doesn't mean he should expect to experience a slipped disc in a fight. Regardless, if you start withholding purses on that basis where does it end? Should you withhold the purse of a fighter with brittle hands who breaks a hand?

To withhold a purse on the basis of an extremely unfortunate injury received during the fight would be a disgrace.

It wasn't extremely unfortunate though, the writing was on the wall, i wouldn't withold his purse, and would be near impossible to withold anybody's after Harrison was paid.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Sun 17 Jul 2011, 3:00 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:
jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:I don't wish to be rude, but some of the posts on this thread, and the OP itself, display complete ignorance of back injuries. Anyone can slip a disc at any time. It's as simple as that. It can happen out the blue, without any previous issues.

It wasn't extremely unfortunate though, the writing was on the wall, i wouldn't withold his purse, and would be near impossible to withold anybody's after Harrison was paid.

Perhaps you know something about this I don't. I didn't see the fight, and have only read the reports. What I can say categorically is that it's impossible that Cook would have stepped into the ring with a slipped disc. Absolutely impossible. It would have meant knowing that he could neither throw a punch nor move out of the way of any punches thrown. It would have also been a major risk to his health. Since a serious slipped disc can result in a lifetime of incontinence and impotence I don't think it's a risk many men would take.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 17 Jul 2011, 3:07 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:

Perhaps you know something about this I don't. I didn't see the fight, and have only read the reports. What I can say categorically is that it's impossible that Cook would have stepped into the ring with a slipped disc. Absolutely impossible. It would have meant knowing that he could neither throw a punch nor move out of the way of any punches thrown. It would have also been a major risk to his health. Since a serious slipped disc can result in a lifetime of incontinence and impotence I don't think it's a risk many men would take.

I don't think anyone is saying he went into the fight with a slipped disk or i'm sure he would have struggled to even get through the ropes into the ring. What people are saying is he went into the fight knowing he had serious issues with his back, and i for one do not believe his training camp wasn't scheduled around it.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Sun 17 Jul 2011, 3:14 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:

I don't think anyone is saying he went into the fight with a slipped disk or i'm sure he would have struggled to even get through the ropes into the ring. What people are saying is he went into the fight knowing he had serious issues with his back, and i for one do not believe his training camp wasn't scheduled around it.

Okay, I see. Nonetheless, a slipped disc is something that simply happens. If he has an underlying condition it might make it more likely that he would slip a disc. However, you simply can't predict it either way. Certainly, if you had concerns along those lines it's very unlikely you would step into the ring under any conditions.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 17 Jul 2011, 3:19 pm

I definately feel his back condition was the sole reason for the slipped disk as it's not common for it to happen in the ring.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 17 Jul 2011, 3:52 pm

You can slip a disc anytime I have but not by having a punch thrown at it...

Reiteration he's been through sparring and must have known he was in a weakened state..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 17 Jul 2011, 4:07 pm

Take it as a compliment Truss

Must have had an injury going into the fight, the punch seemed to exasperate an injury rather than cause it

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 17 Jul 2011, 5:03 pm

No.

Harrison didn't comet fight, he wasn't injured but put in no performance and shouldve had his purse withheld. Cook may have had a nagging back injury but couldn't have got in the ring with a slipped disk - it mustve happened during the fight - not from a punch but in his movement. If a doctor verifies it as legit he should still get paid.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Jul 2011, 5:21 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:No.

Harrison didn't comet fight, he wasn't injured but put in no performance and shouldve had his purse withheld. Cook may have had a nagging back injury but couldn't have got in the ring with a slipped disk - it mustve happened during the fight - not from a punch but in his movement. If a doctor verifies it as legit he should still get paid.

It didn't happen during the fight he made it public knowledge on Friday he had a spine problem. He should get nothing I would give his purse to Burns for wasting his time.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 17 Jul 2011, 5:22 pm

prettyboykev wrote:

It didn't happen during the fight he made it public knowledge on Friday he had a spine problem. He should get nothing I would give his purse to Burns for wasting his time.
He has a slipped disk. It happened during the fight or he wouldn't have been able to walk to the ring.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Jul 2011, 5:24 pm

Scottrf wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

He has a slipped disk. It happened during the fight or he wouldn't have been able to walk to the ring.

He has a spinal problem he made it public knowledge Sky reported it on their website on Friday. He sayds it was the reason for his time out the ring. He was told by his own doctor it would never be cured. Shouldn't of been fighting and shouldn't be payed he ripped people off.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 17 Jul 2011, 5:31 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

He has a spinal problem he made it public knowledge Sky reported it on their website on Friday. He sayds it was the reason for his time out the ring. He was told by his own doctor it would never be cured. Shouldn't of been fighting and shouldn't be payed he ripped people off.

Spinal problem before the fight yes. Slipped disc no - or else he wouldn't have been able to climb through the ropes. He wouldve had a pre fight medical, if the doctor ok'd him to fight and he then sustains a slipped disc in the ring there's no legitimate reason not to pay him whether you feel shortchanged or not.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 17 Jul 2011, 5:40 pm

I think he would have undergone tests and checked whether his back was going to be able to go 12 rounds and he must have passed, think he just got unlucky.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Jul 2011, 6:03 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

Spinal problem before the fight yes. Slipped disc no - or else he wouldn't have been able to climb through the ropes. He wouldve had a pre fight medical, if the doctor ok'd him to fight and he then sustains a slipped disc in the ring there's no legitimate reason not to pay him whether you feel shortchanged or not.

He's been out because of his spinal problem I find it hard to believe the injuries are unrelated. Back and spinal injuries are funny ones at times very hard to determine the real problem. I honestly don't believe with his injury that he described pre fight he should have been fighting. People paid money to watch that fight and they were cheated.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 17 Jul 2011, 6:42 pm

Absolutely.....If he isn't fully fit then the fans have a right to know..

They are paying for a product that's faulty..

Should have his purse held..he was paid to fight..

The injury was pre-existing.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 18 Jul 2011, 9:50 am

Completely agree his purse should be withdrawn.

He would have known full well he wouldn't of been able to fight and known as soon as he had taken a few shots it would be over, disgusting.

Some people would have only made the trip because of the Burns vs Cook fight and to be let down like that is shameful especially as Cook IMO must have known he wouldn't be able to last.

Feel sorry for Burns though, all that training and a big show to gain exposure and the only thing people will talk about is Cook's back!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 18 Jul 2011, 9:53 am

If there is a silver lining in this cloud would think Warren will line someone proper up next for Burns because on the back of this and a couple of less than pulse quickening opponents would like to think if he is to get any momentum or raised profile something better is needed.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 18 Jul 2011, 10:13 am

Burns should have his purse withheld for wearing those colours.

Was he trying to bring a new audience to the sport?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 18 Jul 2011, 10:23 am

if every fighter with a pre exisiting injury cancelled a fight when they hurt themselfs we would never see any action, i think its just the nature of the beast with boxing, boxers are always carrying injurys and sometimes these things happen. nobody was calling for solis to have his purse held against vitali

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:02 am

eddyfightfan wrote:if every fighter with a pre exisiting injury cancelled a fight when they hurt themselfs we would never see any action, i think its just the nature of the beast with boxing, boxers are always carrying injurys and sometimes these things happen. nobody was calling for solis to have his purse held against vitali

I understand but all injuries vary in severity but it looks like Cooks was debilitating and i'm sure he would have tweaked it in similar fashion to what happened last night in training and in this case his in jury was too severe for him to fight.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:28 am

Valero's Conscience wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:if every fighter with a pre exisiting injury cancelled a fight when they hurt themselfs we would never see any action, i think its just the nature of the beast with boxing, boxers are always carrying injurys and sometimes these things happen. nobody was calling for solis to have his purse held against vitali

I understand but all injuries vary in severity but it looks like Cooks was debilitating and i'm sure he would have tweaked it in similar fashion to what happened last night in training and in this case his in jury was too severe for him to fight.

You can't tweak a slipped disc. It's all or nothing, like a broken bone. One minute you're fine, the next you're stuffed. If he had an underlying back injury, it might well make him susceptible to this sort of injury. It wouldn't guarantee it though. You can't penalise people on the basis that they are more susceptible to a particular injury.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Cook should get his purse withheld!!! Empty Cook

Post by d260005p Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:44 am

What are you on about? He should not get paid? How is that even fair? He passed his medical checks prior to fight night as stated by Frank Warren. He has a recurring nerve problem in his back which everybody knew. He hadnt fought in 14 months or so, so the signs were not very good. Yes i dont think the fight should have been made as i think Burns should be fighting better opposition. But Nicy was offered a world title shot, why would he turn it down? He tried to fight even though he couldnt walk due to an injury which is of no fault of his own. Dont take that away from him, he tried and failed due to injury. Yes, Audley Harrison should have his purse taken away for not throwing a punch, but not a guy fighting through a bad back to feed his family. You get in the ring and do it.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Mon 18 Jul 2011, 12:33 pm

Another issue I was hearing was that some bookmakers stopped taking bets in the early evening of the fight on 1st rounds KO's. Think some had odds of 60/1 on Cook being stopped in the first.

It that is true, is does sound very suspicious and indicates that people in Cooks camp maybe knew something we didnt.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 18 Jul 2011, 12:47 pm

I just have a gut feeling Cook and his camp knew he wouldn't be physically fit to go ahead with the fight but took it anyway due to the money involved.

How vigorous are pre-fight medicals?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 18 Jul 2011, 12:50 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:I just have a gut feeling Cook and his camp knew he wouldn't be physically fit to go ahead with the fight but took it anyway due to the money involved.

How vigorous are pre-fight medicals?

I doubt they put you through your paces to be honest, although I would like to be told they do. I would imagine it is similar to one you gets at the docs... Blood pressure, listen to breathing etc... They certainly wont have anyone punch you in the back. You dont get a slipped disc from taking a punch in the back unless it is seriously weak. He took the money and ran leaving us fans short changed. Disgusting.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 18 Jul 2011, 12:59 pm

I think disease checks (those transferred by blood), weight checks, eyesight and then general health.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:05 pm

Scottrf wrote:I think disease checks (those transferred by blood), weight checks, eyesight and then general health.

Cheers Scottrf

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:19 pm

If his pre-fight health check was carried out by a BBBC doctor, or otherwise under the auspices of BBBC, then surely it'd be a bit rich of the BBBC to withhold his purse over something they missed?

I'd be more inclined to withdraw Audley's purse for his shameful display of cowardice than Cooks for not being fit to fight - something BBBC should have picked up on.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:20 pm

Cook made his spinal problem public knowledge it was not an issue in the pre fight medical checks.
What I wonder is how intense his sparring was. If that happens as a result of Ricky Burns catching him on the back then he must have cut corners in training to get through a camp without it re-occurring because he looked in decent shape. Needed two attempts to make the weight but having been out for a while that wasn't a surprise.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 10:39 pm

I think the fundamental things to remember are......

1. That the Cook camp must have had an idea this might happen.

2. The crowd paid for a service and didn't get one.

3. That Cook wasn't fit for purpose.....and as the crowd paid in good faith to see someone who was supposed to be in fit shape (taken as read)...should have his purse withheld under a goods description act...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:55 pm

At the end of the day his purse cannot be withheld,

if the BBBC passed him as fit before the fight he was fit.

I do feel robbed as the injury is something people could see happening due to his previous back problems.

But the black and white of it is that he had a medical before the fight and passed it.

therfore he gets his money.

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:12 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I think the fundamental things to remember are......

1. That the Cook camp must have had an idea this might happen.

2. The crowd paid for a service and didn't get one.

3. That Cook wasn't fit for purpose.....and as the crowd paid in good faith to see someone who was supposed to be in fit shape (taken as read)...should have his purse withheld under a goods description act...

I would dispute point 1. Regardless, even if Cook's team knew it could conceivably happen, that doesn't mean they knew how likely it was that it would happen. You're equating possibility with certainty. If a fighter has weak hands, breaks a bone in the 1st and is unable to fight properly from there on, should he get some of his purse withheld?
Point 2 is irrelevant. That happens plenty of times when there's no injury involved. Purses aren't dependent upon the crowd's enjoyment.
Point 3 doesn't follow from points 1 and 2, and even if it did, it would be impossible to stick.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down