The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do you post here?

+22
sharrison01
LadyPutt
JDandfries
puligny
MustPuttBetter
Faldono1fan
JPX
JAS
Diggers
Adam D
drive4show
Yadsendew
Derbyblue
kwinigolfer
Bagman
Noshankingtonite
oldshanker
Davie
Rossa
barragan
NedB-H
SmithersJones
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why do you post here?

Why do you post here? Vote_lcap82%Why do you post here? Vote_rcap 82% 
[ 32 ]
Why do you post here? Vote_lcap10%Why do you post here? Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 4 ]
Why do you post here? Vote_lcap0%Why do you post here? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Why do you post here? Vote_lcap5%Why do you post here? Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]
Why do you post here? Vote_lcap3%Why do you post here? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 39

Why do you post here? Empty Why do you post here?

Post by SmithersJones Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:59 pm

With the way some (most) threads seem to be going in the last few days, I know I'm not the only one considering whether to bother with this place any more. What's your main interest on here?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Why do you post here? Empty Re: Why do you post here?

Post by NedB-H Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:18 pm

It's turning into... the old 606!

I see Keizo's voted already...

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:34 pm

things certainly seem to becoming a little unbalanced - i wonder whats happened?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:42 pm

ban_bam wrote:things certainly seem to becoming a little unbalanced - i wonder whats happened?
A major happened. It'll calm down in a couple of days (hopefully)

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:43 pm

Whats happened is WUMs are not being banned... its quite easy to spot those doing it... they are damaging the nature of this board... boxing i can't see why they haven't just been shut out... if they are not the board will lose valuable members :run1: for the sake of maintaining sense of fairness which is completely misplaced...
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:26 pm

Rossa - I'll say to you what I've said to others. Would you rather this was a place where people were banned just for having an opinion different to yours? What about if your opinion differed from mine? Would I be justified (under your definitions) of banning you?

Of course I wouldn't and you wouldn't like it if we had a draconian policy of banning anyone who had controversial opinions. Half of the regular (and otherwise respected) posters here would be banned under your scheme.

Debate them or ignore them, but we won't turn this place into some sanitzed, over-policed and politically correct forum

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:28 pm

Rossa wrote:Whats happened is WUMs are not being banned... its quite easy to spot those doing it... they are damaging the nature of this board... boxing i can't see why they haven't just been shut out... if they are not the board will lose valuable members :run1: for the sake of maintaining sense of fairness which is completely misplaced...

I think you've got it spot on there, Rossa. I know LJ is/was confrontational at times, but he contributed positively most of the time. People who just come on to wind others up or to take the p1ss are far worse for the board in the long run, even if they're less trouble for the mods in the short term.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:35 pm

SmithersJones wrote:With the way some (most) threads seem to be going in the last few days, I know I'm not the only one considering whether to bother with this place any more. What's your main interest on here?

Yup - with you there.

Having said that part of the joy of the old 606 was reading the WUM put downs. But that doesn't happen on here and I am getting a tad fed up with the holier than thou attitude that seems to prevail.

It can be useful to organise meets etc.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:54 pm

I try and ignore all the b0ll0x on here. I've picked up some valuable tips and made some good contacts too. For my part I've tried to post a few good threads, be it factual or humorous. It is a good place to organise meets. It's not been the same since LJ's gone and Mav has been noticeable by his absence recently as well....
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:58 pm

Davie,

There is a difference between those are can be confrontational, opininated etc... eg Mac, s_r and LJ, but valued members of the forum and those who are on here just to wind people up eg Baboo and Keizo, personally i think, they should be banned, can you seriously not tell the difference?

It's not personal Davie, please do not take it that way, its just my opinion...

How about we put this to the people? Have a poll and if say 25 people think an individual should go, then they go... that's the rule at my golf club...if people knew they could be kicked of the hacked off a significant number of members they might not bother to sart with...
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:06 pm

Rossa - the problem is that what you are asking for is for someone to take a subjective view, rather than an objective one.

I'd be very happy to see LJ back but I would bet a large amount of money that 25 people could be found who would have thought he should go.

The forum rules evolve and are constantly being reviewed. The rules as they stand largely are black and white, but it wouldn't be possible to moderate a forum fairly that had a rule that just said "no WUMs". It's just too hard to define in terms that wouldn't cause as much trouble as it tried to avoid

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:14 pm

I don't agree with the idea of 'voting' people off. Christ knows tv based on that principle is utter trash. Far too easy for people to stir it up and gang up on people. However, I think the mods should be more ruthless with the people who are genuine WUMs. One or two warnings, then ban them for a period, say a week, and if they return after that and resume in their previous style make it 2 weeks, then 4 etc. In the meantime, open other channels of communication to allow them to 'convince' the mods that they weren't wumming, and if they can do so in an adult and reasoned manner then lift their ban.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Bagman Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:19 pm

SmithersJones wrote:I don't agree with the idea of 'voting' people off. Christ knows tv based on that principle is utter trash. Far too easy for people to stir it up and gang up on people. However, I think the mods should be more ruthless with the people who are genuine WUMs. One or two warnings, then ban them for a period, say a week, and if they return after that and resume in their previous style make it 2 weeks, then 4 etc. In the meantime, open other channels of communication to allow them to 'convince' the mods that they weren't wumming, and if they can do so in an adult and reasoned manner then lift their ban.

I agree with you

Bagman

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:26 pm

I've posted regularly for over four years and never had a problem with any specific individual, although some have come up with comments that, under the old 606 policy, I was able to delete. (That was a good facility to have.)

For the most part, it is worth the effort to engage those who comment - the only individual I have had occasional problems with is a long and respected contributor to 606/606v2 who clearly knows his golf.

Otherwise I, or another poster, have had the wit to disarm any troublemaker.

If you don't like a thread, ignore it. No-one will post if they know they'll be ignored all the time.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:27 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:I've posted regularly for over four years and never had a problem with any specific individual, although some have come up with comments that, under the old 606 policy, I was able to delete. (That was a good facility to have.)

For the most part, it is worth the effort to engage those who comment - the only individual I have had occasional problems with is a long and respected contributor to 606/606v2 who clearly knows his golf.

If you don't like a thread, ignore it. No-one will post if they know they'll be ignored all the time.

clap

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:28 pm

SmithersJones wrote:I don't agree with the idea of 'voting' people off. Christ knows tv based on that principle is utter trash. Far too easy for people to stir it up and gang up on people. However, I think the mods should be more ruthless with the people who are genuine WUMs. One or two warnings, then ban them for a period, say a week, and if they return after that and resume in their previous style make it 2 weeks, then 4 etc. In the meantime, open other channels of communication to allow them to 'convince' the mods that they weren't wumming, and if they can do so in an adult and reasoned manner then lift their ban.

Hero wrote:Our general policy in regards to breaking the rules is: Warn, Day-Ban, Perm Ban. Depending on the severity of the issue, you may be insta-day-banned (remember rule #2.) Furthermore, repetitive bad behaviour can result in a perm ban, whether it’s twice or 10 times, it is up to the Admins.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:32 pm

Derbyblue wrote:

Hero wrote:Our general policy in regards to breaking the rules is: Warn, Day-Ban, Perm Ban. Depending on the severity of the issue, you may be insta-day-banned (remember rule #2.) Furthermore, repetitive bad behaviour can result in a perm ban, whether it’s twice or 10 times, it is up to the Admins.

Keyword there is rules though. It's not against the forum rules to post a deliberately aggravating thread or message, more's the pity.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:37 pm

100% correct SJ

If anyone wants to take a shot at drafting a rule that disallows such posts, without putting it at the mercy of subjectivity or a misplaced sense of power then go ahead.

I guess that any such suggestion could be applied against any number of respected posters whose removal would cause an outcry.

Any suggestions would be looked at though

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:40 pm

SmithersJones wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:However, I think the mods should be more ruthless with the people who are genuine WUMs. One or two warnings, then ban them for a period, say a week, and if they return after that and resume in their previous style make it 2 weeks, then 4 etc. In the meantime, open other channels of communication to allow them to 'convince' the mods that they weren't wumming, and if they can do so in an adult and reasoned manner then lift their ban.

Keyword there is rules though. It's not against the forum rules to post a deliberately aggravating thread or message, more's the pity.
Hero wrote:1) Follow the Golden Rule and treat others as you would like to be treated!

• Do not spam. This includes posts that are irrelevant to the thread topic (off-topic), duplicate posts, flames/inflammatory posts and non-English posts.
I would say those two rules pretty much say don't make aggravating threads or posts, the problem is what may aggravate one person doesn't aggravate everyone, if someone is becoming that big of an issue skip past their posts, or I believe you can do something to your settings where their posts don't even show up.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:48 pm

OK, I'm going to be contrary here; although I don't engage in winding people up, I actually don't see much wrong with wumming, some of it can be quite funny and entertaining as long as it's within the protocols. Sometimes we take ourselves far too seriously. Some of the best posts I've read were responses to WUMS on the old 606.

It's a difficult balancing act for the Mods whom, I suppose are damned if they do and damned if they don't : Headscratch

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:50 pm

Derbyblue wrote:I believe you can do something to your settings where their posts don't even show up.

That should be the case, though there is a problem with the forum software at the moment that is being looked at.

Theoretically you should be able to add someone you find annoying to your "foe" list. Posts by anyone on that list should be hidden from your view. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working correctly at the moment but it's worth remembering when it eventually gets fixed.

However, in my experience, the people who complain loudest about these sorts are those who love to take them on at their own game. In a sense it's normal human nature to block someone like that - most people like to see what is going on so they can maintain their sense of indignance.

As a matter of interest, how many people would "foe" some of these annoying people that they call WUMs? I suspect not many would really do it - they LOVE to have something to complain about

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:05 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:I've posted regularly for over four years and never had a problem with any specific individual, although some have come up with comments that, under the old 606 policy, I was able to delete. (That was a good facility to have.)

OK

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:12 pm

Davie wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:I believe you can do something to your settings where their posts don't even show up.

That should be the case, though there is a problem with the forum software at the moment that is being looked at.

Theoretically you should be able to add someone you find annoying to your "foe" list. Posts by anyone on that list should be hidden from your view. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working correctly at the moment but it's worth remembering when it eventually gets fixed.

However, in my experience, the people who complain loudest about these sorts are those who love to take them on at their own game. In a sense it's normal human nature to block someone like that - most people like to see what is going on so they can maintain their sense of indignance.

As a matter of interest, how many people would "foe" some of these annoying people that they call WUMs? I suspect not many would really do it - they LOVE to have something to complain about

I would certainly 'foe' the likes of kezio and baboo.

I find it disappointing that you feel you can't be subjective, Davie. As the rules do apparently preclude 'wumming', what exactly is the point of moderators if they refuse to decide what's a wind-up and what isn't?

Kwini - it's a little too simplistic to say 'just ignore them' since many threads that are otherwise interesting get highjacked. People do respond and the whole board is worse off for it. I don't respond, personally, but it annoys me nonetheless.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:22 pm

I've added an option to the poll, you can revote if you wish.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:26 pm

Trying to work out who said individual is......hope it's not me Shocked

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:31 pm

Smithers,
The one option I WOULD like to see is the "delete this comment" facility that posters had available to them at BBC 606.

I DO think that the author of any article/thread has a responsibility to manage it if he/she hopes to sustain a cogent discussion or series of comments. If that is done successfully I think you will find problems are reduced.

keizo's thread attracted 100 comments - that tells me he touched a nerve even though most posters just felt it was keizo being keizo. All those commenters could easily have chosen not to swallow the bait.

PS: No problem drive4; I suspect the only person who'd guess is the individual him(I think!)self!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:32 pm

I know its not me, I have never been a respected poster on any of the boards.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:36 pm

I'd like another voting selection please, 'Try to help others'

I quite enjoy trying to advise those inferior to me on the technicalities of the game and courses to play Wink

:run1:

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:38 pm

drive4show wrote:I'd like another voting selection please, 'Try to help others'

I quite enjoy trying to advise those inferior to me on the technicalities of the game and courses to play Wink

:run1:

If you'd be so kind, please Davie?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:46 pm

I think it's fine as it is, the mods do a very difficult, sometimes impossible, job well.
Ignore or engage, nobody is forced to do anything.
What the board does need , as did 606, is a continual supply of decent threads to keep everyone interested.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:47 pm

I must admit I was all for "remove the Wummers" and said so on a thread to which Davie slapped me back into place. As people who have seen my posts (and my golf on a bad day) will know...I can have a spur of the moment short fuse. I apologise if any of my inflamed responses to some people have upset others.

I actually get Davies stance, not an easy job trying to be fair to everyone and not be subjective and judgemental whilst at the same time looking after the boards best interests. On the other hand there are one or 2 who ARE damaging the boards. I don't mind a bit of banter, even a bit of wumming, I can give and take but with one or 2 "Tigers" who I don't think I need to name I'd like to be Elin Woods, 5 iron in hand!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:51 pm

Why do you post here?

Hmmm I was asking myself the same question today when I read the most pathetic series of comments showing a complete lack of respect towards certain professional golfers.

I think ignoring those comments that wind us up is the right action, even if it means posting a lot less frequently.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:56 pm

By the way I would use the foe function if it worked...I need to be saved from myself!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:02 pm

I like a bit of banter, but sometimes it does get really personal on here and it's not done in a nice way. I only post on here occasionally as a result and after today's round of pettiness not sure I will bother again. We should be celebrating a great win by a nice guy who has been through something that most of us cannot imagine, but instead all there is is petty bickering. I don't think many of us would talk like that if we were face to face with that person, but from the safety of the computer it seems anything goes. It's like the mild mannered accountant who becomes a different person behind the wheel of a car. Bizarre!

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:45 am

I've added the extra option in the vote for D4S

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:59 am

Personally, i really enjoy reading this website and contributing. I'm not sure i would change much. I think all the mods do a good and difficult job.
Whilst the WUMs can be very annoying they can, as many have said, be ignored. And let's face it sometimes you (I) know they should be ignored but it can to some extent be entertaining to engage them. I agree with Yads that some of the funniest responses are in reply to the numpties. I read the forum for golf info but also sometimes for a bit of a laugh. I don't think we should lose that.

That said, if some people do not like the WUMs and are seriously considering leaving then regardless of my views, it needs attention. I'd hate to see the likes of SJ and OS leaving as i enjoy their posts much more than the WUMs'.

The foe system doesn't sound like a bad idea even if it's just to serve as a flag as to whom to keep an eye on?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:17 am

I am not as regular a poster as others but really enjoy the facility provided. There are frustrations, particularly the knocking copy on professional golfers, but if I don't want to read it I have the option of ignoring! As for being wound up - nope! In my time I've been insulted by real pros, and nothing on here counts.
It is a really good facility - keep it healthy.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:29 am

I think, Society as a whole is getting all too sensitive, just because someones opinion differes from another, doesn't make them a WUM.

I wont be labelled disrespectful for not liking a certain golfer, respect is earned, and should not be a given.

There are already too many rules in life as a whole, we have mods, and it is their job to keep an eye on the minions, let them do it!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:41 am

Unfortunately, we all know that a Major brings out the WUMs. After a few days, they tend to go away again. They don't really know much about golf and I prefer to ignore them. If you try and "speed read" the postings, you can usually filter out the rubbish and only read the relevant postings.

If I see anything written by Keizo or Baboo, then I don't really bother reaing it and certainly try not to take it seriously.

Did I miss something ? Has LJ gone forever?
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:44 am

LP, I get the impression that his enforced break has led to him not returning. Not for the time being anyway...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:43 am

Keizo is hardly a wum and his article generated debate, what more do you want on a forum. I actually think the one thing the mods have done well on the golf forum is let the wums have their say, after all one person’s wum is another’s sage. Well sort of. It is sad that LJ, however ignorant he may be, has fallen fowl of his own arrogance. Yes I disagree that he should have been banned but he seems to have thought he was beyond the rules us muggles follow and refused to return on the terms of the site.

As for why I post, well I love golf and think it a wonder of the internet that I can engage with like minded lovers of gowf whil I am meant to be working. This is even better when there are the like of Kwini, d4s, doc, mav etc who I can learn from.

PS kwini I hope it was not I who upset you articles.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:46 am

LJ has fallen "fowl"?

Well, we were talking Poultry, or was that Poulter?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:55 am

I enjoy the golf talk and particularly appreciate there being people from all over the world that can give some local knowledge into the golf in their region.

The WUM's are a pity but they are rarely much of an issue when you know who to look for. I don't think that they are any worse than the recent straying of debates to argue about politics and the like that the recent major has obviously stimulated, but 4 times a year for both is acceptable.

The mods also do their bit - sometimes have felt that they ride the line between mod and poster but that has been very rare and their efforts should only be appreciated - they certainly do a better job than I would!

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony B Liar Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:04 pm

Why do I post here (occasionally) and certainly on the old BBC boards

To avoid work.........I assumed everyone else did the same Whistle
Tony B Liar
Tony B Liar

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:08 pm

Mac,
Certainly not! I'd bloody tell you!! thumbsup

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:10 pm

Tony B Liar wrote:Why do I post here (occasionally) and certainly on the old BBC boards

Tony did you go over to the Golf Observer board at all ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony B Liar Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:14 pm

Diggers wrote:
Tony B Liar wrote:Why do I post here (occasionally) and certainly on the old BBC boards

Tony did you go over to the Golf Observer board at all ?

Yeah, for a while, but tbh it was nt the same as the old BBC boards. Very few posters came across which meant it became sort of an 'old boys' club.
Tony B Liar
Tony B Liar

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:16 pm

Fair enough, just wondered if it was still going and if the members could be tempted over here.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:37 pm

Davie wrote:Rossa - I'll say to you what I've said to others. Would you rather this was a place where people were banned just for having an opinion different to yours? What about if your opinion differed from mine? Would I be justified (under your definitions) of banning you?

Of course I wouldn't and you wouldn't like it if we had a draconian policy of banning anyone who had controversial opinions. Half of the regular (and otherwise respected) posters here would be banned under your scheme.

Debate them or ignore them, but we won't turn this place into some sanitzed, over-policed and politically correct forum

Well said Dave, its the do-gooders who make life tough for the Mods with all their complaints. The rest of us just want to talk about golf and not make life difficult for the mods. Keep up the good work Dave Very Happy

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:40 pm

I'm tempted to break our own rules....

Wink

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next