The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons swoop for Scarlets Youngsters

+4
bedfordwelsh
Impossible Standards
ScarletSpiderman
welsh-matfield
8 posters

Go down

Dragons swoop for Scarlets Youngsters Empty Dragons swoop for Scarlets Youngsters

Post by welsh-matfield Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:50 am

According to BBC regional ins and out pages the dragons have signed Trystan Davies and Sam Parry from the dragons academy. However, this is a mistake on the BBC behalf as both are in fact former Scarlet academy players. Proof of T. Davies having been signed from the scarlets is in this article http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/rugby/latest/9112911.Front_row_boost_for_Dragons/ and Sam Parry was formerly of llandovery and Wales under 20.
Your thoughts on the Dragons pinching Scarlet Youngsters!

welsh-matfield

Back to top Go down

Dragons swoop for Scarlets Youngsters Empty Re: Dragons swoop for Scarlets Youngsters

Post by welsh-matfield Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:52 am

also announced on cross keys website that they have been allocated Luke Williams, centre formerly of Scarlets Academy, by the dragons. http://www.crosskeysrfc.com/NewsArticle.aspx?n=17480. Thats know three players dragons have nicked from the Scarlets!

welsh-matfield

Back to top Go down

Dragons swoop for Scarlets Youngsters Empty Re: Dragons swoop for Scarlets Youngsters

Post by Guest Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:00 pm

Pinching and nicked eh.

My thoughts are, maybe the Scarlets aren't doing enough to keep their youngsters happy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:08 pm

Can't say I've actually heard of any of the 3 players above.

With regards to the front row it makes sense for those two players to have moved on as they'd have no chance of getting any regional game time whatsoever, and they would be limited to chances at Llanelli RFC as well. So developmental wise I think it's good for them to try somewhere else.

Surprised we've let a centre go, but again, we've got so many youngsters coming through, there's no realistic chance of us ever keeping a hold of all of them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:09 pm

also meant to say, we've not long re-signed 21 of our youngsters, reckon the Scarlets are going a long way to keeping them happy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:13 pm

Reckon I was being a little facetious in response to words like pinching and nicked.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:15 pm

Dreamer - In the centre the Scarlets have Foxy, Maule, Williams and Reynolds who have all played atleast a handfull of first team games, and Rheon James coming through too and the likes of Lamont and North who cover there (as well as Gomer-Davis if he has actually signed), so we have a bit of depth there.

To be honest it is good to see that if young players are unwanted within their region they are wanted else where. And I don't mean that as good to see our rejects are good enough to be Dragons, but more along the lines of the Dragons are sensible enough to keep an eye out for talent that may have been missed else where.

Also I guess they will fit in with other ex-Scarlets props like Gustaffson and Nathan Williams boxing
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:18 pm

Hug aye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:21 pm

Let's be honest, who'd have thought we'd be signing a load of youngsters with ex Wales U20's coach Darren Edwards at our helm. Such a massive shock to me.

I agree with your point though SS, it is good that youngsters get a chance elsewhere.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:23 pm

Risca - the only worrying thing for me is that the Dragons do have a tendency to sign unknown/unrated players and turn them into players that do get talked about. Will Harris, Aled Brew and Joe Bearman are all good examples.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:29 pm

wow the Dragons have signed some young academy players. No other region has ever done that.....shame on the Dragons... Wink
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:23 pm

Pinched, Knicked WOW. As Cpl Jones off Das Army said' They don't like it up then'

Llanelli/Scarlets (along with the rest) have been pinching/poaching players from the Gwent Region for years.

Rhys Thonas - Dragons

Iestyn Thomas - Ebbw vale
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:38 pm

Trystan is a front rower who mainly has played for the quins I believe. Probably nige thinks gardnier and Rhodri Jones show more potential. Also same with sam parry at hooker, it's one position we have plenty of youngsters coming through with Ken Owens, Emyr Phillips and Kirby Myhill. Don't see nothing wrong with these youngster moving on to further their rugby development. Hopefully they'll succeed similarly as did Gustaffson and Martyn Thomas did at the dragons, cause ultimately it will benefit Wales. Good on the dragons for helping to bring these youngsters through!
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:45 pm

Also, don't forget the Scarlets 'nicking':

Gareth Maule - he's done well for you but didn't really show it at the Dragons.

Jamie Corsi - very promising prop that you turned to mush and has led to him going to Wasps and now to New Zealand!

We're all at it it would seem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:46 pm

Also, don't forget the Scarlets 'nicking':

Gareth Maule - he's done well for you but didn't really show it at the Dragons.

Jamie Corsi - very promising prop that you turned to mush and has led to him going to Wasps and now to New Zealand!

We're all at it it would seem.

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu 21 Jul 2011, 12:00 pm

rhodri gomer davies

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 21 Jul 2011, 12:20 pm

Go back and you can add;

Chris Wyatt
Matthew J Watkins
Adam Jones (I believe)
Nathan Brew

That said then you may need to look at the number of Turks playing for you

Hugh Gustafson
Nathan Williams
Dave Maddocks (I think he went there)
Trystan Davies
Sam Parry
Luke Williams
Martyn Thomas
Tal Selley
Matthew J Watkins, Nathan Brew & Adam Jones (well kind of re-pinched)

I guess if you didn't know better you would think it was a professional sport where people end up plying there trade either where the money is best, or where they are most likely to get game time.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu 21 Jul 2011, 12:35 pm

tbh in the interest of welsh rugby if a player doesnt make it at one region im happy for them to go elsewhere and improve themselves, martyn thomas has been a very good player for us and i think barring his injury would have been sniffing around the wales squad, likewise maule seems to be playing some good rugby atm so its all positive for welsh rugby

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by trapsurfer Tue 09 Aug 2011, 12:48 pm

fantastic signings by the dragons, trystan top class prop, sam very good hooker and luke williams is a name to look out for. he's already impressed all at the dragons, signed for crosskeys and made a second half debut last week in a friendly scoring four tries, 3 in 6 minutes! also outstanding in last weekends men of gwent 7s! Darren and Rob know these players and acted quickly to bring youth and flair to the dragons, well done! Theese boys need game time, not sitting on the bench elsewhere!

trapsurfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Tue 09 Aug 2011, 2:20 pm

I dont think its much of an issue. Youngsters will probably go to the regions they feel they have the best shot of getting gametime.

The Ospreys at inception had a big reputation and basically cornered a lot of the Welsh talent. We now are starting to see some movements on that front as kids are noticing they may get better exposure at a lesser region.

Cant blame them for making the best career choice into proffesional rugby. Long term sides like Ospreys and Blues still have more financial clout and will come in for these players if they become really good so its not like the Dragons will have a chance to hold on to them unless our financial situation improves.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down