The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Channel Five

+13
RatBoy66
Mark2011
Lumbering_Jack
ian_jamsie
88Chris05
OasisBFC
John Bloody Wayne
Seanusarrilius
Young_Towzer
Primetime
sweet_pea
Adam D
The Galveston Giant
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Channel Five Empty Channel Five

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:01 am

I was wondering today whether the channel have a long term strategy/agenda in terms of broadcasting boxing on a regular basis, possibly 6+ times a year or are we to believe this is a one off?

Surely if viewing figures surpass expectations they will look into showing more promotions later on down the line?

I think most of us would agree that their budget would be better spent towards airing decent domestic tear ups than second rate Europa League football matches?

Or do they just not have the financial clout to make their mark in the sand long term?

Cheers guys.

Back to top Go down

Channel Five Empty Re: Channel Five

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:23 am

Not sure Freekshow, would be good for the sport if they invested in it more.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:26 am

They have dipped their toe in with MMA as well. Hopefully they will get behind sports, other than the UEFA cup!

I will certainly watch tonight.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:37 am

their mma shows do quite well viewing figures & they've been showing it quite regularly.
the boxing tonight is on before another MMA event so i'm guessing its NOT a one off, but dipping their feet in the water to see how warm the water is.
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by Primetime Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:48 am

Tonight's 5 broadcast is a test, they need get significantly more than their usual viewing figures in that timeslot to warrant further investment in boxing

Primetime

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:52 am

I can't see it being more than a one off, definitely don't think they'll show another fight after tonight, hope they do but can't see it. I also think the show will be riddled with people plugging the Khan v Judah fight, which i reiterate i wouldn't watch if it was also on terrestrial TV for FREE, poor fight.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:12 am

i have been wondering why Chisora is so fat, then i realised. He thinks he is fighting hennesey

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:41 am

Young_Towzer wrote:I can't see it being more than a one off, definitely don't think they'll show another fight after tonight, hope they do but can't see it. I also think the show will be riddled with people plugging the Khan v Judah fight, which i reiterate i wouldn't watch if it was also on terrestrial TV for FREE, poor fight.

You honestly think either of those guys are on the Judah/Kahn level?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:53 am

i thought the coverage was decent by 5, well done to them.
ive seen far worse.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:55 am

John Bloody Wayne wrote:
Young_Towzer wrote:I can't see it being more than a one off, definitely don't think they'll show another fight after tonight, hope they do but can't see it. I also think the show will be riddled with people plugging the Khan v Judah fight, which i reiterate i wouldn't watch if it was also on terrestrial TV for FREE, poor fight.

You honestly think either of those guys are on the Judah/Kahn level?
Who said it was on there level? i said it's a better fight which it was and is, that's an 80/20 fight for Khan, he'll win in 8 rounds, Judah's a shot to bits has been who was never elite by any stretch of the imagination anyway.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:59 am

So if a unification bout between two proven world level operaters was on for free on terrestrial TV, you wouldn't watch it? And you're supposed to be a boxing fan? You lapped up Haye-Klitschko which was far more of a mismatch and enthused over two overweight Heavyweights who haven't proved themselves beyond domestic level, but Khan-Judah isn't good enough for you?

Two points - Judah looked better in his last fight than Khan did in his. And whoever wins out of Khan and Judah, I doubt it will be as easily as Fury won tonight in the supposedly 'better fight.'
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:07 am

88Chris05 wrote:So if a unification bout between two proven world level operaters was on for free on terrestrial TV, you wouldn't watch it? And you're supposed to be a boxing fan? You lapped up Haye-Klitschko which was far more of a mismatch and enthused over two overweight Heavyweights who haven't proved themselves beyond domestic level, but Khan-Judah isn't good enough for you?

Two points - Judah looked better in his last fight than Khan did in his. And whoever wins out of Khan and Judah, I doubt it will be as easily as Fury won tonight in the supposedly 'better fight.'
No i wouldn't watch it, i couldn't give a damn about being a boxing fan, Judah's last fight was against a bum who had no technique, Haye-Klitschko a mismatch? stop it. Haye had a very, very live chance of winning that fight and i thought he would stop the vulnerable Wlad, Khan in 8 rounds, i wouldn't watch that sham of a fight, get over it.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:13 am

Young_Towzer wrote:No i wouldn't watch it, i couldn't give a damn about being a boxing fan
I can see that!

Young_Towzer wrote:Judah's last fight was against a bum who had no technique

It wasn't against Derek Chisora, it was against Mabuza.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:16 am

Also

vomit

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:21 am

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Also

vomit
Yawwwwwwwwn
Bradley should of been the IBF champ still, Mabuza's a bum with no technique, Bradley beat Alexander and should have got his IBF title in doing so. Sham of a fight

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:23 am

Also

elvis

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:25 am

Young_Towzer wrote:

vomit
Yawwwwwwwwn
Bradley should of been the IBF champ still, Mabuza's a bum with no technique, Bradley beat Alexander and should have got his IBF title in doing so. Sham of a fight

Yeah, and Haye should never have been the WBA champion either, it should have been Klitschko as he'd hammered Chagaev who'd held the belt and never lost it in the ring before Haye outscored the lumbering twenty-three stone sack of uselessness that was Valuev. Were you just as vocal in your complaints about that?

Judah's career and last fight suggest that he's a fine match for Khan. Haye's career and last fight before his showdown with Klitschko didn't suggest that at all.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:36 am

88Chris05 wrote:
Young_Towzer wrote:

vomit
Yawwwwwwwwn

Yeah, and Haye should never have been the WBA champion either, it should have been Klitschko as he'd hammered Chagaev who'd held the belt and never lost it in the ring before Haye outscored the lumbering twenty-three stone sack of uselessness that was Valuev. Were you just as vocal in your complaints about that?

Judah's career and last fight suggest that he's a fine match for Khan. Haye's career and last fight before his showdown with Klitschko didn't suggest that at all.

No i wasn't, Haye won the fight against a champion and was a good fighter, Judah aint a good match for Khan at all he quit against Clottey who's slated on here 3 years ago, was soundly beaten by Baldomir, knocked sensless by Tszyu 10 yes 10 years ago and was nothing special in his prime, lost all his fights against genuine fighters, sham of a fight. The Bookies share your view as well don't they of him being a 'good match for Khan' i mean Judah's 14/1 to win on points, and 9/2 to win outright, Khan 1/6 to win outright, sounds like an even match, Not. Haye's career didnt suggest that? the guy was unbeaten in 7 years and had unified the cruisers and moved up to look good at heavy, deluded your flogging a dead horse.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:49 am

Young_Towzer wrote:Mabuza's a bum with no technique

But according to you was a 'decent fighter' a few months back? Strange!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A82205327
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:52 am

Was Maidana a good match for Kahn? He certainly gave him a fantastic fight.

Maidana got a UD over Corley who was completely slaughtered by Matthyese who was SD'd by Judah. The same result Alexander got who is considered one of the top light welters in the world.

Last edited by John Bloody Wayne on Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I vomitted on the keyboard and mispelt)

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:00 am

88Chris05 wrote:
Young_Towzer wrote:Mabuza's a bum with no technique

But according to you was a 'decent fighter' a few months back? Strange!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A82205327

he;s a bum, figure of speech, the only thing that's 'strange!' is you stalking me Very Happy

Last edited by Young_Towzer on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:02 am

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Was Maidana a good match for Kahn? He certainly gave him a fantastic fight.

Maidana got a UD over Corley who was completely slaughtered by Matthyese who was SD'd by Judah. The same result Alexander got who is considered one of the top light welters in the world.
Alexander is a top lww, and would smash Judah to bits and could beat Khan imo on his night, 1 loss doesn't make you a bad fighter, yeah but the logic your using Alexander smashed Urango up, Hatton beat him on points, does that mean Alexander stops Hatton, and Berto who couldn't beat him on points? mmmmmm

Also
laughing

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:08 am

No, what I'm saying is Mathyyse (I won't pretend I can spell his name without google) is an underrated and quality fighter. The demolition job on Corley was impressive despite how past it he is.

You say yourself Alexander is top class and say he could beat Kahn? Well Judah got the same result over Matthyse as Alexander did. Lucas is the common opponent between Judah and a top LWW of today and they got the same result. A questionable SD win.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:11 am

John Bloody Wayne wrote:No, what I'm saying is Mathyyse (I won't pretend I can spell his name without google) is an underrated and quality fighter. The demolition job on Corley was impressive despite how past it he is.

You say yourself Alexander is top class and say he could beat Kahn? Well Judah got the same result over Matthyse as Alexander did. Lucas is the common opponent between Judah and a top LWW of today and they got the same result. A questionable SD win.

I agree Matthysse is a good fighter and having watched the Alexander fight a few times i thought he won, and he also was imo robbed against Judah, i know what your saying in a way but you can't say that, Froch lost to Kessler but beat Pascal who is a better fighter, boxing doesn't work like that. I feel sorry for Matthysse he won his last 2 and never got the nod in either, that stinks. Alexander could beat Khan he has all the attributes to do so, i'd say it's a pick em fight providing Devon is still the same fighter, it was his first fight back against Matthysse so i expect him to improve when he fights again.

Last edited by Young_Towzer on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:14 am

This fight is only happening because Bradley bottled it. Give Khan a break let him collect the alphabets if he can.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:19 am

ian_jamsie wrote:This fight is only happening because Bradley bottled it. Give Khan a break let him collect the alphabets if he can.
Bull, he could of lost to Holt, Witter, Alexander was a genuine 50/50 fight, if he'd got the 50/50 he deserved, he would of fought, Khan's getting over $1,000,000, Judah around $500,000, Bradley wouldn't be sold down the river like that with more titles, and i don't blame the guy, team Khan are a greedy bunch of idiots, i found that out in the McCloskey build up.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:26 am

Bradley brings nothing in terms of commercial revenue. Boxing is a business like it or lump it.

Bradley was egging up the fight versus Khan and Khan offered a fair chunk of the UK money.

Bradley has said it himself the clips from a radio show are on youtube. He thought he would lose.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:39 am

ian_jamsie wrote:Bradley brings nothing in terms of commercial revenue. Boxing is a business like it or lump it.

Bradley was egging up the fight versus Khan and Khan offered a fair chunk of the UK money.

Bradley has said it himself the clips from a radio show are on youtube. He thought he would lose.
No he didn't say he thought he'd lose, he said what if he'd lose
Yeah, i lump it then. Bradley has beaten the better opponents, holds more titles - like it or lump it
Mind still the same, Bradley late stoppage, far harder to hit, just as quick with much quicker feet and equally high workrate

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:51 am

When have you ever heard a fighter talk about losing before a fight?

I struggle to think of one. If Bradley knew he was better then he would have taken the fight. The fact he is even talking about losing prooves he never fancied the job.

Khan has very fast hands, good accuracy and a big height and reach advantage.

Styles make fights, Khan could keep bradley at range for comfortable decision and Bradley knew it.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:59 am

Oh just to put an end to your Khan bashing. Bradley's own promoters are suing him for dropping out.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/6788333/timothy-bradley-jr-sued-promoters-contract-breach

Last edited by ian_jamsie on Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:01 pm

ian_jamsie wrote:When have you ever heard a fighter talk about losing before a fight?

I struggle to think of one. If Bradley knew he was better then he would have taken the fight. The fact he is even talking about losing prooves he never fancied the job.

Khan has very fast hands, good accuracy and a big height and reach advantage.

Styles make fights, Khan could keep bradley at range for comfortable decision and Bradley knew it.
Couldn't disagree more, if a fighter as slow and predictable as Maidana found the target with ultra ease, Bradley would, he's just too easy to hit and neglects gameplans all the time, Bradley would stop him late imo, if Bradley had got the 50% he deserves, he would of took the fight, Alexander had attributes to beat him and had looked the better in the fights before, he took that pick em, he beats Khan imo. When has Khan kept a good, lightning fast correct puncher at bay to take a comfortable decision? i 'struggle to think of one', Maidana showed how EASY it his to find his tash, Bradley tko around the 10th.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:04 pm

lightning fast correct puncher at bay to take a comfortable decision
===============
Lighting fast Bradley is not.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:05 pm

Maidana is a big puncher and Bradley is not. Regardless of "your opinion" on how the fight will go.

Bradley bottled it at great expense to himself, because he thought he would lose.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:08 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:lightning fast correct puncher at bay to take a comfortable decision
===============
Lighting fast Bradley is not.
Lightning* fast Bradley IS Very Happy

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:11 pm

I notice you are not doing Union Cane's game towzer. As your opinion on boxing predictions seems to be gospel, maybe you should have a go and show us all up.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:11 pm

ian_jamsie wrote:Maidana is a big puncher and Bradley is not. Regardless of "your opinion" on how the fight will go.

Bradley bottled it at great expense to himself, because he thought he would lose.
in your opinion he thought he would lose
Bradley hits correctly, it won't take Hagler to find that weak chin again, a few shots from Bradley would of stopped him late, too easy to hit, sham of a fight tonight as well.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:12 pm

ian_jamsie wrote:I notice you are not doing Union Cane's game towzer. As your opinion on boxing predictions seems to be gospel, maybe you should have a go and show us all up.
Didn't i get the Murray-Mitchell fight correct?
mmmmm, haven't i said Khan within 8, although in 4 wouldn't surprise me at all? mmmmmm

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:22 pm

I wouldn't know. People change predictions with the wind.

I had Klitscho on a UD and Fury on a UD tonight.

Play the game and prove your metal or what you say is frankly pointless, hyperthetical drivel. As a common contributor of pointless, hyperthetical drivel myself, I find that it backs up some of my opinions quite nicely.

In boxing the lack of the best fighting the best ruins the sport, Bradley dropping out has caused an issue at light welter and frankly his name is now mud. Your reasons for defending him are weak, I'd have stripped him of his titles and fined the coward. The top 4 ranked fighters all fought each other then the winners were supposed to face off.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:29 pm

ian_jamsie wrote:I wouldn't know. People change predictions with the wind.

Play the game and prove your metal or what you say is frankly pointless, hyperthetical drivel. As a common contributor of pointless, hyperthetical drivel myself, I find that it backs up some of my opinions quite nicely.

In boxing the lack of the best fighting the best ruins the sport, Bradley dropping out has caused an issue at light welter and frankly his name is now mud. Your reasons for defending him are weak, I'd have stripped him of his titles and fined the coward. The top 4 ranked fighters all fought each other then the winners were supposed to face off.

No, had a go before and he got all Hitler power wise saying do it this way, won't have another go. Calling Bradley a coward? behave, stripping him? behave, Khan aint a mandatory, would you strip Marquez or call him a coward because Brandon Rios wants to fight him, but he's moving up to fight Pacquiao? mmmm.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:32 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:

No, had a go before and he got all Hitler power wise saying do it this way, won't have another go. Calling Bradley a coward? behave, stripping him? behave, Khan aint a mandatory, would you strip Marquez or call him a coward because Brandon Rios wants to fight him, but he's moving up to fight Pacquiao? mmmm.

Sorry an agreemment was struck before the maidana fight. It was a written binding contract. Bradley broke it and now he is being sued.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:35 pm

ian_jamsie wrote:
Young_Towzer wrote:

Sorry an agreemment was struck before the maidana fight. It was a written binding contract. Bradley broke it and now he is being sued.
I think it's strong calling him a coward, i can and will of course bring up Hatton/Witter, Frank Warren wrote it into Ricky's contract he had to fight Witter and never did, then he told Witter win a world title and i'll fight you, he won arguably the best in the WBC title, then Ricky fought Urango, not as good, then he fought a shot Castillo, mmmm.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:45 pm

I'm not Hatton's biggest fan either.

Coward probably is a bit harsh, no chance I would have the bottle to step into a ring and have my face caved it.

If it was up to me (and 99% of all other boxing fans) I would have 1 belt per weight and forced them to fight every 6 months.

This would disolve most of this junk.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:48 pm

ian_jamsie wrote:I'm not Hatton's biggest fan either.

Coward probably is a bit harsh, no chance I would have the bottle to step into a ring and have my face caved it.

If it was up to me (and 99% of all other boxing fans) I would have 1 belt per weight and forced them to fight every 6 months.

When i boxed as an amateur, i knew certain fighters could beat me but i still boxed them, and never got a penny for it, doesn't mean Bradley knows he'd lose, he just probably doesn't think he's getting enough for a risky fight for both guys. I would just bring in an organization where they set 3 fights a year up and the boxers have to take the fights, unrealistic but would be brilliant.
eg
Bradley must fight:
Bradley v Khan
Bradley v Guerrero
Bradley v Maidana

I suspect Mayweather would stay retired

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:56 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:
ian_jamsie wrote:I'm not Hatton's biggest fan either.

When i boxed as an amateur, i knew certain fighters could beat me but i still boxed them, and never got a penny for it, doesn't mean Bradley knows he'd lose, he just probably doesn't think he's getting enough for a risky fight for both guys. I would just bring in an organization where they set 3 fights a year up and the boxers have to take the fights, unrealistic but would be brilliant.
eg
Bradley must fight:
Bradley v Khan
Bradley v Guerrero
Bradley v Maidana

I suspect Mayweather would stay retired

Would be nice, but never going to happen, just more pointless, hyperthetical drivel on a chat room spouted by the pair of us.

Anyhow I can pray for the day, they get their butts into gear and get these fights made and people stop dropping out. I'm cream crackered, I can't be bothered to wait any longer for this fight, I'm off to bed.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark2011 Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:12 pm

I enjoyed the coverage on channel 5 and hope they broadcast more fights in the future.

Mark2011

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:49 pm

Mark2011 wrote:I enjoyed the coverage on channel 5 and hope they broadcast more fights in the future.

Thought they did a fine job getting Al Bernstein in, enjoyed McCullough on Primetime too.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:52 pm

He spent too long on the fight and not long enough talking about his daughter's singing voice.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:54 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:
Mark2011 wrote:I enjoyed the coverage on channel 5 and hope they broadcast more fights in the future.

Thought they did a fine job getting Al Bernstein in, enjoyed McCullough on Primetime too.
Was dissapointed they never showed none of the undercard as they said though, but would enjoy future fights, can't see it though.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:55 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:He spent too long on the fight and not long enough talking about his daughter's singing voice.

Ha, near the start when he was driving around Vegas in his car he sounded half American, but not so much when he was on air live.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:56 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:

Was dissapointed they never showed none of the undercard as they said though, but would enjoy future fights, can't see it though.

I know, i thought it was going to come on after but it just finished, hopefully they had good viewing numbers and will consider more.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next