The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ratings for england vs india 1st test

+6
Hoggy_Bear
Gregers
dummy_half
longhopmerchant
Liam_Main
GSC
10 posters

Go down

Ratings for england vs india 1st test Empty Ratings for england vs india 1st test

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:24 pm

Here are my ratings for england vs india 1st test, let me know what you think...

Andrew strauss-5, gets the marks for captaincy, poor with the bat and dropped two sitters...

Alistair Cook-3 Poor game with the bat

Jonathon Trott- 6

KP-9 great double hundred, would have got 10 if he made a contribution in 2nd innings

Ian Bell- 5

Eoin Morgan-3 dont think he is test standard

Matt Prior- 8- superb with the bat and with the gloves

Graeme Swann- 8- not many wickets but did a solid job holding an end up in each innings

Stuart Broad- 9, superb with bat and ball

Chris Tremlett- 7

James Anderson- 9

India

Mukund- 5

Gautam Gambhir- 8

Rahul Dravid- 9, great hundred in first innings and solid when asked to open the innings

Sachin Tendulkar- 6

VVS Laxman- 7

Suresh Raina- 7

M.S.Dhoni- 6

Harbajhan Singh- 5

Zaheer Khan- 5

Ishant Sharma- 8

praveen Kumar- 6

Last edited by cricketfan90 on Mon 25 Jul 2011, 7:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Ratings for england vs india 1st test Empty Re: Ratings for england vs india 1st test

Post by GSC Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:51 pm

England:
Strauss: 6

An underrated 22 in the first innings, in those conditions, it would've been easy to go cheaply and spark a collapse. Looked set in the 2nd and got out. Captained well I thought.

Cook: 2

Didn't come off in this game.

Trott: 7

Excellent 70 in the first innings set the base for a big score.

Pieterson: 8

Brilliant 200 in the first innings, out to a rampant Sharma cheaply in the 2nd.

Bell: 6

Contributed in the first innings, out for a duck in the 2nd.

Matt Prior: 10

Played 2 very different innings when needed and deserved a 100 for them both. Has become the premier wicketkeeper batsman.

Stuart Broad: 9

Resurgent with the ball, for my money England's best bowler. Added valuable runs with Prior.

Graeme Swann: 7

Wasn't the pitch for spinners, but made a few crucial impacts.

James Anderson: 9

Quiet first innings, blew India away in the 2nd. Will look forward to Trent Bridge.

Chris Tremlett: 7

Bowled well.

India:
Mukund: 6

Contributed in the first innings, flopped in the 2nd under pressure.

Gambhir: 5

Fell cheaply in the first and second innings, injury will be a concern.

Dravid: 8

Brilliant 100 in the 1st innings, resolute in the 2nd.

Tendulkar: 5

Poor performance after all the hype.

VVS Laxman: 7

Looked set for a big score in the 2nd innings before throwing his wicket.

Suresh Raina: 7

India's best batsman in the 2nd innings after a failure.

M.S Dhoni: 5

Didn't deliver, captaincy wasnt particularly inspired.

Harbajan Singh: 1

Utterly anomynous.

Praveet Kumar: 7

Got on the honours board in the 1st innings, looks a handy 3rd seamer.

Zaheer Kahn: 7

Looked unplayable in halpful conditions before his injury.

Ishant Sharma: 7

Unplayable in 1 spell, anomynous otherwise.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Ratings for england vs india 1st test Empty Re: Ratings for england vs india 1st test

Post by Liam_Main Mon 25 Jul 2011, 7:48 pm

England

Andrew Strauss- 5 Good captaincy, poor batting

Alistair Cook- 2 Bad game but sure to be better in the next test

Jonathon Trott- 7 Did well in the first innings, average in the 2nd when Wickets were falling

KP- 9 Tremendous double hundred shame he couldn't follow that in the 2nd innings

Ian Bell- 4 Okay in the first innings, duck in the 2nd

Matt Prior- 10 Superb in both innings his 100 saving England after a bad start

Graeme Swann- 7 Didn't get the wickets he deserved but didn't go for many runs and put Indias batters under severe pressure

Stuart Broad- 9 Superb with bat and ball went through Indias top order in there 1st innings and his partnership with Prior was vital also

Chris Tremlett- 7 Deserved a couple more wickets and was consistent through out

James Anderson- 8 Not at his best in the 1st innings but massively improved in the 2nd picking up 5

India

India

Mukund- 6 1st time at Lords and did okay contributing well in the 1st innings

Gautam Gambhir- 4 Starts in both innings but didn't go on to make a high score

Rahul Dravid- 9 Brilliant 100 in the 1st innings, kept India in with a chance of a draw in the 2nd

Sachin Tendulkar- 6 Didn't live up to hype with two starts but nothing far

VVS Laxman- 6 Looked set in the 2nd innings before playing a silly shot

Suresh Raina- 7 2nd innings 70 kept India in with a sniff

M.S.Dhoni- 3 Poor batting, poor keeping and poor captaincy not a great test for Dhoni

Harbajhan Singh- 3 Looked nothing but ordinary

Zaheer Khan- 7 Bowled brilliantly before his injury likely would of got alot more wickets

Praveen Kumar- 7 On the honours board but didn't back up his 1st innings wickets.

Ishant Sharma- 7 1 unplayable spell put England in trouble apart from that bowled poor
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by longhopmerchant Mon 25 Jul 2011, 7:52 pm

Praveen Kumar is getting a rough deal here. This guy has only played 4 Tests and he manful carried the attack after Zaheer got crooked. He overs 40 odd overs in England's 1st dig and manful bowled 20 odd overs in the 2nd dig. He was up there with Dravid so he should be an 8

longhopmerchant

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 26 Jul 2011, 10:21 am

Liam

Generous for Harbajhan - failed to contribute significantly with the ball in either innnings in a situation where such an experienced bowler should have been stepping up to carry the team in Zaheer's absence.

Difficult to rate Zaheer because his match was so curtailed, but I was more impressed with Kumar than with Sharma (a Harmisonesque performance of one great spell and a lot of dross). Kumar probably closer to an 8 and Sharma a 6. I'd also knock Sachin down to a 5 or even 4, as he got in and out twice.

Largely agree with your England ratings - Prior should have been MOM based on his second innings ton in a very difficult situation plus his keeping and first innings contribution, and fully merits a 10/10 rating.
Broad was probably the next best England player and could easily have had a 10 wicket match with better catching and the umpire being on his side - really re-discovered his bowling mojo (by bowling to a full length most of the time, looked in so much better rhythm than in the SL series) and contributed an invaluable 70 in the second innings.
Pieterson did something most of us thought he'd never do - produce a really vital innings when not playing well and in tough conditions. The TMS commentators were discussing whether you could ever score a 'bad' double century, and concluded that this (at least the first 130 runs) was the closest anyone had ever come.
Anderson - great in the second innings, but his figures benefitted from the good work done by the other three bowlers as well (and that Broad could have bowled someone and have him given not out). Tremmers bowled really well in both innings too and didn't get the figures to back up the performance.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Jul 2011, 10:30 am

im suprised dhoni bowled ahead of sachin.....

sachin bowls offies, leggies and dibbly dobblers

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:44 pm

England

Andrew Strauss- 4 Better captaincy, poor batting and dropped a sitter

Alistair Cook- 5 Not at his best, batted well on the first morning

Jonathon Trott- 6 Not great from Trott, batted ok in the first innings.

Kevin Pieterson - 8 'Bad' double hundred in the first innings, rubbish in the second innings. The debate rolls on, can he play another innings like that ever again?

Eoin Morgan - 6 Didnt do a great deal, what he did do he did well

Ian Bell- 5 Did well in the field, batted ok in the first innings

Matt Prior- 10 The real MAN OF THE MATCH. A sensational performance from prior with the bat and his hundred in the second innings was so much better than KP's double in the first innings. Brilliant with the gloves as well

Graeme Swann- 8 Bowled brilliantly and patiently on a Lords pitch which offered nothing to spinners

Stuart Broad- 9 Back on form, looked dangerous at all times with the ball and kept his cool. Batted brilliantly alongside prior

Chris Tremlett- 6 Unlucky at times, had Tendulkar rattled

James Anderson- 7 Fairly anonymous in the first innings, brilliant in the second. Leader of the pack

India

Mukund- 6 Had big boots to fill and did well given that the Indian batting line up didnt really fire

Gautam Gambhir- 6 Made good starts and gets an extra point given that awful injury he suffered, Batted brilliantly in the second innings considering.

Rahul Dravid- 9 Mr Dependable, looked like he walked out for the 2nd innings with the sole intention of getting a 100.

Sachin Tendulkar- 5 The great man struggled at Lords again, looked good in the first innings.

VVS Laxman- 6 Stupid shot considering the circumstances in the second innings

Suresh Raina- 8 Brilliant innings on the last day, seamed to understand the circumstances. An innings so far above his years

M.S.Dhoni- 5 Bowled quite well, looked flustered in captaincy when Zaheer got injured. Batted badly in the first innings, okish in the second

Harbajhan Singh- 1 Got annoyed when he wasnt taking wickets, didnt look interested. Batted stupidly in the second innings.

Zaheer Khan- 6 (If only rating the first session then 9) Looked dangerous and the injury was such a shame. Had he played the whole match then probably looking at a much higher score

Praveen Kumar- 6 Got on the honours board, was anonymous at all other times

Ishant Sharma- 7 Brilliant for THAT one spell, average at all other times. Enigma?

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:49 pm

gregers why cant u say anything nice about kp?

it werent a bad double hundred, he had to grind the first hundred in tough batting conditions, then hit the acclearator it was the perfect test innings...

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:52 pm

It was a 'Bad' double hundred, not a bad one.

The inverted comers make all the difference, as in it was probably one of the worst innings of KP's career up until he got to 130 ish. He admitted himself that he played badly for the first hundred.

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:53 pm

in that case i take it back lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:55 pm

Haha ok, I changed the word I was going to use several times. The shortlist was:

Great
Amazing
Brilliant
'Bad'
Somehow Incredible

I think 'bad' covered it really well.

If he can play another innings like that and get another hard fought hundred this series then my opinion of him might start changing

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:57 pm

Gregers

Swann gets a higher rating than Anderson and the same as KP?????

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 26 Jul 2011, 9:05 pm

Swann bowled really well on a pitch that offered him nothing, he built pressure and gave nothing away.

Anderson was marked down for the first innings

KP was marked down due to the second innings

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Tue 26 Jul 2011, 9:08 pm

I agree that Swann bowled well.
Still don't think he should be rated as high as the bowler who took a 5fer to win us the match in the 2nd innings, or a batsman who scored a double ton.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 26 Jul 2011, 9:11 pm

Fair enough, maybe I was a little too pro swann lol

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 26 Jul 2011, 9:11 pm

Also would it be too harsh for me to have given Harbajan a negative score?

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Tue 26 Jul 2011, 9:14 pm

Gregers wrote:Also would it be too harsh for me to have given Harbajan a negative score?

Yeah, a little cruel.
I quite enjoyed his batting, in the 2nd innings especially Very Happy

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by longhopmerchant Tue 26 Jul 2011, 9:15 pm

Swann's rating would be 6 and no higher. He was rarely able to trouble the Indian right handers and he was ok vs the left handers.

longhopmerchant

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 26 Jul 2011, 9:16 pm

Harbajan's mindset in the second innings - 'We need 240 to win so I'm going to get them as quickly as possible!'

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Jul 2011, 9:34 pm

harbajhan did what perera did at cardiff, bottled it against the quicks

Back to top Go down

Post by Twitchey Wed 27 Jul 2011, 5:23 pm

Hello - first post on the Cricket board.

KP has to get a 10 surely?

The double century was at first grafted and kept England solid, his strike rate (and England's) was below 50 for much of his innings and England's run rate about 2.00 per over for the first day and half. His acceleration later on was breathtaking and England's run rate finished at 3.50.

England's lead was psychologically dominating and was key to setting the tone for the victory.

For me that rates as the best innings for England that I have seen of his ...

Twitchey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 27 Jul 2011, 5:27 pm

Welcome to the board Twitchey, you'll enjoy the banter on the cricket section.

I should probably point out, before CF does, that I am not KP's biggest fan. I agree that it was probably his best ever innings for England, but he only made 1 in the second innings when we needed another hard fought innings. Furthermore, I thought that Prior was a 10 and was the only 10 for the match. Dravid was a 9 and the second best player therefore Pieterson was given an 8 by me.

Great thing about these forums is that we often disagree but it hardly ever escalates...

What ratings would you have given Prior, Dravid, Anderson, Broad, Swann etc then mate?

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 27 Jul 2011, 6:37 pm

Sharma does seem to be a "proper" strike bowler, one of those guys who can rip through an order or be completly anonymous. Maybe Indias Harmisson?
The big problem with him seems to be he struggles to force the batsmen to hit him when they dont want to.
Kumars a guy who can extract swing from a slide, but unless the ballsreally ballooning it seems his mediocre pass makes him barely more dangerous than someone like Collingwood used to be.
I dont see either of them as consistent top 4 bowlers, but Kumar did really well in keeping t together with that kind of workload.Anotehr reason why relying on technique over pace is sometimes importnat, a faster bowlerwouldnt have been able keep going like that. He deserves a rating just for sheer workload without getting hammered.

I agree that KP cant be a 10 if he got out cheaply.

Cant be too harsh on the spinners, neither of them were much of a threat. If Swann wasnt takng wickets then you cant give Bhaji a negative for not doing so ether. India even resorted to Dhoni over the part time spinners because there was so little in the wicket for the slow bowlers.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 27 Jul 2011, 8:03 pm

India.
Abhinav Mukund 6(got a good start and some runs in his first outing at the home of cricket, his technique needs more refining, but looks like one for the future).
Gautam Gambhir 5(With Sehwag out, and a test match there to be saved, a lot was expected of Gautam, but after getting starts in both innings, he couldn't go on. Certainly the injury played a part in the 2nd innings).
Rahul Dravid 8(after missing out by 5 runs in his debut match, Dravid ensured his name does go up on the Lord's bords this time around. Looked solid before he chased one in the 2nd innings. looses a point for that and a chance or 2 he put down in the slips).
Sachin Tendulkar 4(Tendulkar has set for himself pretty high standards, and by those, he had a poor game. got to the 30s in the first innings in some style and then got out, and let pressure build on him and the team 2nd time around by going into a shel).
VVS Laxman 6(As we all know VVS is a risty player who's shots, when they come off look a treat and if they go wrong would look terrible. It was the latter that happened to India's crisis man both times, but India needed a greater contirbution from Laxman).
Suresh Raina 7(went without scoring first time around, but played a nice hand 2nd time around. Also was the only Indian spinner who looked remotely like picking up a wicket or 2).
Mahendra Singh Dhoni 5( Didn't have a good game with the gloves, bat, or the captaincy. But MSD has more strings to his bow, and He was India's 2nd best bowler in the first innings ones Zaheer left the field).
Harbhajan Singh 1(a point for turning up. was terrible with the ball as has been the recent usual case, but this time round, there was no cover up with the bat. no-score in the first innings, and horrer shot 2nd time round when India was looking to save the match).
Praveen Kumar8(continues his good work with the ball, and showed he can swing a cricket ball on a glass top, and did brilliantly in the first innings covering up well for an in effect a 2 man attack. Also swung some wildly entertaining and crucial runs as well).
Zaheer Khan 6(Zaheer looked unplayable while he was around, but again he wouldn't be proud of what happened after that. There was no grid with the bat in a tough situation either).
Ishant Sharma 7(It took Ishant some time to adjust to the conditions, but bowled a superb spel in the 2nd innings. Other than that, Ishant had a rather tough match).

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jul 2011, 8:24 pm

i wonder if with gambhir's elbow, the swelling just went crazy?

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 27 Jul 2011, 8:28 pm

England.
Andrew Strauss 5(got starts in both innings but didn't convert it, but showed good judgement as captain).
Alastair Cook 3(Cook at last has had a poor game with the bat in a pretty long time).
Jonathatn Trott 7(got very crucial runs in the first innings in tough conditions).
Kevin Pietersen 9(KP has finally done what he has been threatening to do for some time now. One of the most griddy knocks from England's flamboyant number 4. It had everything, grid, struggle, pressure, and some good old KP tonking at the end).
Ian Bell 5(got an unconverted start in the first innings, but there was nothing from Bell 2nd time around.
Eoin Morgan 4(Didnt have a good game with the bat, although he stayed out with Prior at a crucial moment to take the sting out of the momentum the Indians were building up.
Matt Prior 9.5(Prior had a brilliant game with the bat and gloves, get high quality runs both times, and taking almost everything that came his way.
Stuart Broad 9(after all his recent troubles, Broad had a brilliant all-round game. bowled superbly both times, and made a significant contribution with the bat when England seemed intent on throwing away all their good work).
Graeme Swann 7(bowled well without much to show for that, But Swann showed he can stand up to the best players of spin bowling. Also got important runs along with KP, changing a challenging total into a formidable one.
Chris Tremlett 8(bowled as well as anyone else, consistently troubling India' strong middle order including the master. on another day he would have come away with many more wickets than he eventualy got).
James Anderson 8(Anderson didn't really turn up in the first innings, but after getting 1 or 2 rather chancey wickets, he became a different bowler, finishing up the match with a 5fer).

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jul 2011, 8:43 pm

its gonna be a good summer for english cricket Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Thu 28 Jul 2011, 9:18 am

Gregers wrote:England

Strauss scored more than four times the runs Cook scored and lasted longer in both innings, in terms of balls and minutes a key part of an openers role espeically in bowler friendly conditions. Have no idea how you can have Cook's rating higher than that of Strauss.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Thu 28 Jul 2011, 9:31 am

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
Gregers wrote:England

Strauss scored more than four times the runs Cook scored and lasted longer in both innings, in terms of balls and minutes a key part of an openers role espeically in bowler friendly conditions. Have no idea how you can have Cook's rating higher than that of Strauss.

Strauss' captaincy still left a lot to desire and the chance he dropped off of Tendulkar was awful. I marked him down for that as it was a really easy chance. Cook played okay in the first innings an fielded well in both innings.

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Thu 28 Jul 2011, 9:41 am

Strauss also did a good job batting for most of the first morning. He will be annoyed he did not kick on after doing the hard work. Seeing off the new ball set the rest of the batting line up to take advantage of the easier batting conditions.

I thought he lead the side well. I know there were a few rumblings on the last day about an extra slip etc. But no field a captain sets in these situations seems to please the armchair captains watching comfortably at the side, or worse at a microphone.

I agree his drop was terrible.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Thu 28 Jul 2011, 9:44 am

Fair enough, I think whilst I might have rated cook a bit too high I think I was fair on Strauss.

The drop, as we agreed, was terrible and so I marked Strauss down by quite a bit for it

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down