The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather-Ortiz & Pacquiao-Marquez

+9
whotobeA
The Galveston Giant
eddyfightfan
Mind the windows Tino.
C'mon You Irish
AlexHuckerby
88Chris05
Scottrf
Sugar Floyd Louis
13 posters

Go down

Mayweather-Ortiz & Pacquiao-Marquez Empty Mayweather-Ortiz & Pacquiao-Marquez

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Mon 25 Jul 2011, 7:14 pm

Couple questions:

1.) Which fight are you more interested in? lets say, theoretically, both fights were on at the same day, and same time and you had to watch one, which one would it be?

2.) Which fight is more likely to be more one sided?

3.) Does a Mayweather or Pacquiao loss REALLY dent or even kill off the anticipation for a fight that is predicted ''the biggest ever''? As far as I'm concerned even if both lost, and faced next year, and was PPV... I'd pay in the blink of an eye!

4.) Lastly (bit similar to question 2) besides Mayweather and Pacquiao being too good for one to envisage this: if you had to go for an upset, which fight could you possibly see it in?

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Mayweather-Ortiz & Pacquiao-Marquez Empty Re: Mayweather-Ortiz & Pacquiao-Marquez

Post by Scottrf Mon 25 Jul 2011, 7:17 pm

1) I'm excited about both, at a push I'd go for Mayweather vs Ortiz.

2) Mayweather-Ortiz

3) It doesn't kill it but severely dents it. The one who lost would be an underdog. I think it would be worse for Mayweather because Marquez is somewhat of a bogeyman for Pacquiao, we already know he struggles with him.

4) Pacquiao-Marquez.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Mayweather-Ortiz & Pacquiao-Marquez Empty Re: Mayweather-Ortiz & Pacquiao-Marquez

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 25 Jul 2011, 7:21 pm

I'm far more interested in the Mayweather-Ortiz fight, for a couple of reasons. First off, how has yet another spell of inactivity effected Mayweather, if at all? Next, has Ortiz really turned a corner with a Berto win, and is he ready to become an elite fighter in his own right?

As I'm not all that convinced by Ortiz, and he's massivley lacking in genuine world class experience, I think that fight will be much more one-sided than Pacquiao-Marquez.

A loss for either of them does dent the chances / anticipation of a Mayweather-Pacquiao bout in 2012, sadly. Should Pacquiao lose, for instance, you can pretty much bet that Mayweather will see that as reason enough to not fight him, as it would have, by hook or crook, demonstrated his superiority and that Pacquiao isn't in the same league as him. Likewise, if Mayweather loses, that '0' which so much of his appeal is built around would be gone, and it would harm his marketability, even if it's only by a small amount. Would imagine that he'd certainly want to avenge any possible defeat to Ortiz, too, which would put a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight even further on to the backburner.

In terms of any possible upset, Marquez is far more likely to upset the apple cart than Ortiz is, for my money.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 25 Jul 2011, 7:22 pm

Strange that we agree where an upset if more likely, but both anticipate the other fight more.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 25 Jul 2011, 7:24 pm

Scottrf wrote:Strange that we agree where an upset if more likely, but both anticipate the other fight more.

Was just thinking that, as it goes. Suppose it just further proves that, for all of Pacquiao's achievements, Mayweather remains the biggest name and draw in the game.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 25 Jul 2011, 7:30 pm

Think it's also because I'd rather see a new opponent than a rematch in general, and Ortiz seems somewhat a live opponent for Mayweather.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 25 Jul 2011, 9:04 pm

Think they're actually both good fights you can argue all you like with Ortiz maybe not having the experience or Marquez being too old but really they are cracking fights (For me anywho) More looking forward to Ortiz - Mayweather, just generally prefer watching Mayweaher fight than Manny.
Mayweather Prtiz will most likely be more on sided though, unless MArquez struggles in the way he did against PBF.
It does kill a lot of the hype around it massively sadly, they're invincibility factor will have been massively dented if they lose.
Marquez more likely to pull the upset just on the sheer way he fights, although I can see the fight being similar to Pacqiaou - Barrera 2.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by C'mon You Irish Mon 25 Jul 2011, 10:18 pm

The real question is after Mayweather owns Ortiz after a year absence i might add how long will it take pac to decide to fight Ortiz

Because we all know pac dont like live oppostion

C'mon You Irish

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 25 Jul 2011, 10:31 pm

C'mon You Irish wrote:The real question is after Mayweather owns Ortiz after a year absence i might add how long will it take pac to decide to fight Ortiz

Because we all know pac dont like live oppostion

Good post. I had forgotten what the real question was. Thanks for the refresher.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:27 pm

i'd rather see manny/marquez, think mayweather will be to much for ortiz, but if i had to call the upset then i'd back ortiz to do- reason been manny has drawn and won marquez already, and marquez isnt a good as he used to be whereas manny is still as good. ortiz is a young fighter, who is somewhat unpredictable (maidana fight, berto fight) so for that reason id say ortiz has the best chance of a upset. the best chance is still next to no chance though.

i think if either of them loss then the fight between them will lose a lot of creditablity, and the money it would generate will drop quite a lot too. if one of them loses and they dont fight before they retire then ive no doubt that the other one will be remembered at the p4p great of our time, with the other demoted to 2nd place.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:42 pm

1. Would probably be Mayweather v Ortiz.

2. Both have a chance but i'll say Mayweather/Ortiz as Ortiz is stepping up.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:44 pm

3. I think it does, they haven't been beaten since the 'Superfight' was first thought of.

4. Again Mayweather/Ortiz, depends how Floyd is after his layoff and if Ortiz can step up to the plate.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by whotobeA Tue 26 Jul 2011, 1:07 pm

Definatley looking forward to the PBF fight more. I just think that even though Marquez looked good at LW against Katsidis i don think it will be a genuine contest against Manny at owt around WW.

I fully expect Mayweather to beat Ortiz but i think it will be a better contest whereas you only have to look at what Floyd did to Marquez at 144/6 to get an idea what Manny will do, even though the styles are different.

whotobeA

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 26 Jul 2011, 1:20 pm

1.) Mayweather vs Ortiz

2.) Marquez vs Pac.

3.) It would still be a massive fight but it would kill it somewhat as people say they're the only ones who can beat each other.

4.) Mayweather vs Ortiz?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by C'mon You Irish Tue 26 Jul 2011, 2:29 pm

Whats the point in watching the Marquez- Pac fight even if Marquez destroys Pac like he did in at both there previous fightst he still wont be given the win

C'mon You Irish

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 26 Jul 2011, 2:31 pm

C'mon You Irish wrote:Whats the point in watching the Marquez- Pac fight even if Marquez destroys Pac like he did in at both there previous fightst he still wont be given the win

If you think Pacquiao got 'destroyed' in those two bouts, then maybe boxing isn't suited to your gentle nature. Don't watch Dempsey-Willard, that's all I can say!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by jammin Tue 26 Jul 2011, 2:47 pm

1.) Manny v Marquez due to historical context, Mayweather v Ortiz as its a rarity and a pleasure to see Floyd apply his artistry.

2.) Mayweather v Ortiz will be more one sided, as are all Mayweather fights. Will school Ortiz over 12 rounds. Mr Vicious doesnt have the speed or refinement to bother Floyd whereas Marquez will lick his counter hitting lips at Manny's offense.

3.) A Pacquiao loss shatters his invincibility so dents the appeal of the fight. A Mayweather loss would be excellent for boxing. Mayweather already as a shoe in for me in the ATG list so a loss will test his character and heighten the appeal of this fight IMO.

4.) Out of the two, Marquez I think has a greater chance of an upset, if the weight differences dont kill the bout. Manny is open to be him and when he cant connect himself, he get frustrated, cue Marquez's plan A.

jammin

Back to top Go down

Post by C'mon You Irish Tue 26 Jul 2011, 2:48 pm

88Chris can you tell me in all honesty that Marquez should not have won at least one of those fights espcially the first one

C'mon You Irish

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 26 Jul 2011, 2:51 pm

C'mon You Irish wrote:88Chris can you tell me in all honesty that Marquez should not have won at least one of those fights espcially the first one

Even if you think that, he didn't "destroy" him did he?

You are just been a little bit silly really.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by C'mon You Irish Tue 26 Jul 2011, 2:56 pm

Destroy him outclassed him however you want to describe it Marquez should have won the fight and if you are trying to deny that you sir are the one being silly

C'mon You Irish

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 26 Jul 2011, 3:01 pm

C'mon You Irish wrote:88Chris can you tell me in all honesty that Marquez should not have won at least one of those fights espcially the first one

I thought Marquez edged the first fight by a point. The second was desperately close, scored it to Marquez first time I saw it and Pacquiao the second time I saw it, but never more than two points either way. Marquez is maybe a little unlucky to not have been given the nod in at least one of them, but that's how it goes when fights are as close as that. Have no issue with you or anyone else thinking that Marquez won them, but claiming that he 'destroyed' or 'outclassed' Pacquiao is ridiculous.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by C'mon You Irish Tue 26 Jul 2011, 3:03 pm

Just wondering peeps is Pac putting a weight stipulation on the fight with M

C'mon You Irish

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 26 Jul 2011, 7:30 pm

http://www.hbo.com/boxing/fights/2011/09-17-floyd-mayweather-jr-vs-victor-ortiz/video/face-off-promo?autoplay=true&cmpid=ABC160

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 26 Jul 2011, 7:34 pm

i am really looking forward to mayweather v Ortiz, i think Pac and JMM will be v one sided at 144 in Pacs favour sadly (at 135 JMM still gives pac kittens IMO) but the mayweather v ortiz fight is a live fight with floyd the obvious fav, neither can lose cos if they did it would dent the anticipation of their battle, they need to be the best fighter sin the world when they meet and given the way they are faffing around theyll both be pensioners by the time they get it on

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 26 Jul 2011, 7:42 pm

I think both fights will be utterly one sided. Ortiz only saving grace is that Mayweather could be rusty and isnt a big hitter at welterweight. I suspect if Mayweather does have one eye on a Pacquaio or even Khan fight next year then he may look to drag this out to 12 one sided rounds similar to his fight with Marquez.

I think Pacquiao will blast Marquez out early in their fight. Marquez is a slow starter and getting on on a bit. Hes getting too easy to hit now and would be worried if someone like Katsidas could floor him. I think Pacquiaos increased power at the weight coupled with Marquez getting old will see him stopped within 6 unless Pacquiao does a Mr nice guy job on him.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down