The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potential Domestic Fights This Year

+10
Union Cane
Pound-for-Pound
whotobeA
Scottrf
Rowley
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
razzaq
licence_007
thorpy17
14 posters

Go down

Potential Domestic Fights This Year Empty Potential Domestic Fights This Year

Post by thorpy17 Tue 26 Jul 2011, 5:43 pm

Thankfully we have seen some of the top domestic names face each other already this year. It is a more and more of a rarity to see two top names in a division face each other, whether on the domestic or World stage. But we have already seen Degale Groves, Fury Chisora, Mitchell Murray and McDonnell Hall is set for later in the year.

Which other big domestic fights would you like to see this year for whatever reason?

Top of my list would be Groves V Brian Magee, would be another big test for Groves and with Magee fighting this weekend could potentially be made for later in the year.

thorpy17

Back to top Go down

Potential Domestic Fights This Year Empty Re: Potential Domestic Fights This Year

Post by licence_007 Tue 26 Jul 2011, 5:51 pm

Price vs Fury could be decent. I think Towers against someone as well would be a good shout. Anyone know what is happening with Scottish heavyweight Simmons?

A lot of the other domestic fights I'm interested in have either happened or are going to, so I'm a fairly happy man with the British boxing scene at the moment!

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Potential Domestic Fights This Year Empty Re: Potential Domestic Fights This Year

Post by razzaq Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:26 am

I think it was 2.3 million. Still good.

I think Khan v Brook is being muted as the Bradley match up isn't going to happen.

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:32 am

razzaq wrote:I think it was 2.3 million. Still good.

I think Khan v Brook is being muted as the Bradley match up isn't going to happen.

2.3m with no promotion is great, fingers crossed for more terrestrial boxing. Plenty of good domestic dust-ups to satisfy the demand. Price v Fury would be my fave. The Brook Khan has only been touted by Brook, and then mainly to raise his profile. Really like both fighters but it's a step too far for Brook right now.

Agree Groves Magee is a more than credible fight too, confirms Groves' position on the international stage if he gets a good win. Clev Bellew will be fireworks too, would love to see that one kick-off!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:43 am

Can't see Khan-Brook happening for a good while yet; Khan has unfinished business at 140 lb, while Brook operates at 147 lb but with no title to offer. I still think the Bradley-Khan fight will happen in 2012, if Brook has a Welterweight strap by then I think Khan will probably step up in search of him, but only then. Absolutely no way that fight happens unless Brook has a belt to bargain with.

Price-Fury is pretty much inevitable now, and fair play to Fury, he does seem as if he wants to take care of everyone on the domestic front. It's the natural step for both of them and the winner is nicely set up for European honours.

If Mitchell could squeeze himself back down to 130 lb a bout with Burns would be interesting, certainly much more than the three poor defences Burns has made of his crown so far. But with his victory over Murray, I think Mitchell sees his future very much at Lightweight now, even if he is a little on the small side in that division. Don't hold much hope of that one happening, much as I'd like it to.

Once Cleverly makes mince meat out of Bellew, how about Bellew-Maccarinelli as a classic 'last chance saloon, make or break, rebuild the career' type bout that we've often seen over the years? If Maccarinelli's serious about giving it another go down at 175 lb, that is.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:49 am

007, saw Towers fight on the Brook undercard recently. To be honest he looked very much a work in progress and some way off being ready for anything too testing yet. Is a big old unit and not in bad shape but the guy I saw him against was nothing special but just maintained a high guard and Towers looked to run out of ideas in a hurry. Did not really seem to know how to create openings or draw the guy out of his shell, just seemed intent to throw big shots that tended to land on gloves. Physically he is imposing but needs to add some craft if he is to go anywhere.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:55 am

Magee already has a fight, WBA interim. CBA to look up opponent but never heard of him.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by whotobeA Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:55 am

I thought Fury was lining up Rogan next??? Price would be better but i think a war with Rogan could be interesting as well.

Really looking forward to Halls fight as it's been coming for a while & he fights out of the gym i go to. Think it could be Halls toughest yet though.

I think Khan Brook would fill the MEN & probably get decent figures with the right build up.

I think Chisora needs a fight pretty soon if he's gonna try to get back on track.

whotobeA

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:57 am

Scottrf wrote:Magee already has a fight, WBA interim. CBA to look up opponent but never heard of him.
Actually it's Barboza this weekend so I guess he could have a fight afterwards. Groves was supposed to have big news 3 weeks ago.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:17 am

How can Magee face a light-middle who has never fought at super middle in an interim title fight?

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:20 am

Pound-for-Pound wrote:How can Magee face a light-middle who has never fought at super middle in an interim title fight?
WBA are corrupt.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:28 am

Looks like I'm not the only one who's a little frustrated that it's been more than two months since Groves beat DeGale and we still haven't even had an announcement on his next fight. Should really be kicking on now, but then again, that's not the Booth way. Klitschko was Haye's fifth fight in almost three and a half years since he left the Cruiserweight class.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:30 am

88Chris05 wrote:Klitschko was Haye's fifth fight in almost three and a half years since he left the Cruiserweight class.

Contrast that with Chris Arreola, who has already had 4 fights this year. And its only July.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Wed 27 Jul 2011, 12:48 pm

John Murray vs Kevin Mitchell 2
Rogan vs Fury
Brook vs Khan (Wont happen yet though)
Pryce vs Chisora

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:16 pm

d260005p wrote:John Murray vs Kevin Mitchell 2
Rogan vs Fury
Pryce vs Chisora

Can't see why Mitchell would bother offering Murray a rematch, it was a convincing and uncontroversial win, he would have nothing to gain in a rematch. Kats as divisional gatekeeper would be more likely (though I appreciate that wouldn't be a domestic match-up).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:13 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
d260005p wrote:John Murray vs Kevin Mitchell 2
Rogan vs Fury
Pryce vs Chisora

Can't see why Mitchell would bother offering Murray a rematch, it was a convincing and uncontroversial win, he would have nothing to gain in a rematch. Kats as divisional gatekeeper would be more likely (though I appreciate that wouldn't be a domestic match-up).

True, would rather see him against Kats as opposed to Murray. The first fight was a cracker though. Maybe even Brook vs Witter. That would be interesting. Both cocky pricks outside the ring and not too bad in it with reagrds to they're styles.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:26 pm

think witter is a bit past it now, he couldnt even get the win at prizefighter

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:26 pm

sykes buckland is coming up, that should also be a good scrap

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 27 Jul 2011, 5:08 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:think witter is a bit past it now, he couldnt even get the win at prizefighter

Prizefighter was never going to really suit Witters style though, he needs the full 12 rounds. That said, I agree he's pretty washed up all the same....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 27 Jul 2011, 5:22 pm

Carl Frampton Vs Scott Quigg.

Frampton is actually showing the domestic guys how it should be done at the minute.

And Frampton wipes the floor with Quigg IMO.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 27 Jul 2011, 5:26 pm

cleverly vs bellew should be a decent scrap, although a world champion should be facing tougher opposition

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:45 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Once Cleverly makes mince meat out of Bellew, how about Bellew-Maccarinelli as a classic 'last chance saloon, make or break, rebuild the career' type bout that we've often seen over the years? If Maccarinelli's serious about giving it another go down at 175 lb, that is.

This fight could actually be good it will seriously be last chance saloon time, Bellew has the power perhaps although Macca is huge in comparison and just wonder whether he has enough left in him... He certainly has the boxing fundamentals to beat someone like Bellew but just worry on his stamina and cutting his weight might just prove to be too much for him, could be a good little fight though!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:10 pm

rowley wrote:007, saw Towers fight on the Brook undercard recently. To be honest he looked very much a work in progress and some way off being ready for anything too testing yet. Is a big old unit and not in bad shape but the guy I saw him against was nothing special but just maintained a high guard and Towers looked to run out of ideas in a hurry. Did not really seem to know how to create openings or draw the guy out of his shell, just seemed intent to throw big shots that tended to land on gloves. Physically he is imposing but needs to add some craft if he is to go anywhere.

I have yet to see him, so I just want to after some of the hype people are giving him on here!

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down