The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Domestic fights I would love to see this year.

+7
The Galveston Giant
TopHat24/7
Daz
bhb001
Rowley
AlexHuckerby
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
11 posters

Go down

Domestic fights I would love to see this year. Empty Domestic fights I would love to see this year.

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:45 pm

1.Tyson Fury vs David Price- After Prices win over John McDermott he is now the mandatory challenger for Fury’s British Heavyweight title. The big traveller is fighting on the under card of Martinez vs Macklin in March. So this one won’t happen until at least June/July.
Prediction-Fury looks made for Price. He is wide open and neglects his jab which Price certainly doesn’t. I can see Fury stuck behind Prices jab and getting caught with big right hands until being stopped within 6 rounds.

2.Nathan Cleverly v Tony Bellew- Bellew definitely deserves a rematch. I thought he won the first fight by a round but with decisions that close it can go either way and it did. There is the farcical situation that either one of these two are going to need to beat Enzo Maccaranelli (probably Cleverly) before this fight can happen. Both have fights booked for early this year that they should come through with Cleverly probably facing Enzo in the summer. This should happen later in the year probably around September.
Prediction- I see Bellew winning this. Cleverly can’t help himself but to be drawn into scraps and that’s right up the big Scousers street.

3.George Groves vs James DeGale- A rematch that has to happen. The first one wasn’t a classic but it was enthralling. Both have improved since the first fight and both have fights early this year so a fight in June/July is a real possibility.
Prediction- I think DeGale would win a rematch. He knows he needs to throw more punches because if he had done that the first time round I don’t think Groves could have done much to stop DeGale winning.

4.Matthew Macklin vs Martin Murray- Britain have a trio of middleweights on the outskirts of World class. Both Macklin and Murray were hard done by in Germany but Murray did it in a more impressive manner by boxing and moving. Macklin has a fight with P4P star Sergio Martinez and Murray may well get a rematch with Sturm. This is probably unlikely to happen but Murray’s promoter Ricky Hatton does have a close friendship with Macklin.
Prediction- Murray looked a lot better than most thought he was against Sturm and so did Macklin. Macklin can’t box his way past Murray and I don’t think he can out scrap him. I see Murray winning this on points by about 4-6 rounds.

5.Kell Brook v Amir Khan- Brook is a star on the rise and Khan is a star who seems determined to be disliked. Neither is a big fan of the other and both are highly rated by Sky so it isn’t a hard fight to make. Brook has Hatton in March and Khan could well have a rematch with Peterson in April so it could be a fight for later this year.
Prediction-Right now I would go for Khan just because he has performed and won at a higher level than Brook. If Brook impresses against Hatton and gets another good win under his belt after that one and Khan loses or struggles with Peterson I may change my mind.

6.Ricky Burns vs Kevin Mitchell- Apparently if both win their next fights this one is set in stone for the summer at Upton Park. Mitchell has had plenty of trouble outside the ring but looked decent when he beat John Murray in July last year. Burns is improving all the time and his win over Katsidis was one of the best performances by a British boxer in recent years.
Prediction- Burns to win on points. Ricky just doesn’t have the power to stop Mitchell but Mitchells defence is nothing special and Burns could keep Mitchell at long range behind his snapping jab. Burns thrown beautiful body shots as well and I think he would have a bit too much for Mitchell who I have always thought was over rated,

7.Scott Quigg v Carl Frampton- Barry McGuigan reckons Frampton is the next big thing in British boxing. Quiggs promoter Ricky Hatton disagrees with that. These 2 are on a collision course for later this year and it should be good. Both like to come forward and neither is shy of letting punches go. Both have fights in the next 4 weeks so a fight in May or June is a real possibility.
Prediction- Quigg is a monster at the weight and Frampton doesn’t look to have the best foot movement. I don’t think Quigg will have any problem getting up close and using his physical advantages which could see him force a late stoppage.

8.Rendall Munroe vs Jamie McDonnell- Munroe has been very quiet since losing convincingly to Nishioka in Japan. McDonnell is one of the most improved fighters in Britain. Both are on the verge of World class so if it could be made as an eliminator for a world strap it would make a lot of sense. It seems the most unlikely to happen out of all the fights I have mentioned.
Prediction- I’m not a fan of Munroe I think he is pretty average. Mcdonnell is turning into a classy boxer who has proved his toughness and durability by beating Stuart Hall late last year. I think McDonnell is just a class above Munroe who may just be Euro level at best. I’m not sure of a stoppage but I think McDonnell wins pretty convincingly on points.

Another fighter I would like to see is the super flyweight from Liverpool Paul Butler. The guy looks a real talent. He's not in a strong division domestically or worldwide so it's not inconceivable that he could be British and European champion on the verge of a World title fight by the end of the year.

Any domestic fights or prospects you would like to see this year?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Domestic fights I would love to see this year. Empty Re: Domestic fights I would love to see this year.

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:50 pm

Can't disagree with this list mate soudns perfect to me if all of this gets made, Quig/Frampton Burns/Mitchell Groves/Degale Khan/Brook (Though unlikely) and Fury being sparked gets my blood pumping more than the others.

Not too bothered about Bellew Clev, rematch, think it will be similar to the last one but with Clev winning more convincingly, think Bellew fought the fight of his life last time and couldn't beat him.

Munroe has just never really interested me all that much don't know why...

Macklin/Murray could be alright i guess.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Domestic fights I would love to see this year. Empty Re: Domestic fights I would love to see this year.

Post by Rowley Mon 23 Jan 2012, 3:14 pm

Think i'd still prefer to see Macklin and Barker, they have tried to get it together so many times would like to see them finally get it done. Also Cleverly Bellew does not interest me, if Clev wants to be taken serious as a world champion he needs to look beyond domestic dust ups.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 3:14 pm

I'm surprised we're not talking about Fury vs Audley here! I like Fury, but this would be a train wreck of a fight and I for one would be tuning in due to morbid curiosity. Yes, I need to get a life!! But I would love to see that fight!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 23 Jan 2012, 3:19 pm

Some quality match ups there mate. Would be a very happy man if all them came to fruition!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 3:22 pm

alma wrote:Think Burns Mitchell is the mostly. Shame it'll be on Boxnation so no-one will get to watch it, as should be a good one

Sure there'll be a stream somewhere....

Burns Mitchell is definitely the domestic scrap I want to see, closely followed by Fury Price. Agree with Rowley I'd rather see Macklin in with Barker than Murray. Also not bothered about either of the domestic rematches from last year, both better saved till later in their careers.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 7:42 pm

Frank Warren is desperate to make DeGale vs Groves now because it won't be hard to rebuild for either because they are the best in Europe with the exception of the guys at World class.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 23 Jan 2012, 7:45 pm

I think this fight would be better made sooner rather than later, neither are ready to step up to world level and there's no knowing what will happen once they do. There's plenty of good domestic scraps available at the moment and i think the fans deserve a few.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 7:48 pm

DeGale vs groves will happen later this year. Frank Warren wants it DeGale wants it and Groves will do it for the money. No good reason for it not to happen.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 Jan 2012, 8:04 pm

Id ladd to the list Gavin Rees v John Murray for the EBU again. I think both guys know now they are short of world class but this would have the potential to be a good tear up.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 8:13 pm

Former World champion Rees......is short of being World class!! Doh

Degale v Groves won't happen later this year Mate....Simple fact is for Boxnation to succeed Warren needs all his assets.....and If one of them gets knocked out badly or even if Degale loses again..

One has gone down the river...

No chance and no way!! unfortunately..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 8:14 pm

Murray needs a rest and an easy night he took a horrific beating off Rios more the fault of his trainer but that is unimportant. It would be a good fight for the summer. Apparently Rees knocked back a fight with Burns because the money was rotten.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Former World champion Rees......is short of being World class!! Doh

Degale v Groves won't happen later this year Mate....Simple fact is for Boxnation to succeed Warren needs all his assets.....and If one of them gets knocked out badly or even if Degale loses again..

One has gone down the river...

No chance and no way!! unfortunately..

Warren needs big fights that catch the public's attention to make boxnation successful and DeGale vs Groves does that probably more so than any domestic fight with the exception of Brook vs Khan. He is desperate to make DeGale vs Groves because neither is damaged in defeat and can box at Euro level on the back of a loss.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:25 am

Really don't want to see more DeGale VS Groves...not yet anyway. Wait till they both get as far as their going to get (hopefully world level with a bit of hard work and dedication) and THEN let them fight again. At this stage it wouldn't bother me in the slightest...far too soon after their first bout.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue 24 Jan 2012, 12:55 pm

i dont want to see degale v groves for a long time.
they've done it. it was close but its done. give it a while, let their careers progress and they can fight when theres something in it like a world title eliminator or something.

cleverly beat bellew in his own back yard. if this was to happen again it'd be in wales with a massive backing for clev. wide points for clev.

burns vs mitchell is something we need to see.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down