The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alex's Top 5 Fights Of The Year

+3
hampo17
Soldier_Of_Fortune
AlexHuckerby
7 posters

Go down

Alex's Top 5 Fights Of The Year Empty Alex's Top 5 Fights Of The Year

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 31 Dec 2013, 5:56 am

I know what you're thinking. "Alex no one cares what you thought was the best 5 fights of the year". That may or may not be the case, however I'm gonna write it anyway!

Number 5.

Denis Lebedev Vs. Guillermo Jones - Jones By KO 11.

If you thought Lebedev was ugly before the start of this fight, have a quick glance of him after!!

Have to be honest, I couldn't be bothered watching this one live. Jones started his career out at Welterweight and hadn't fought for just over 2 years. Lebedev having recently beating a rather past his best Roy Jones Jr. and a slightly past his peak James Toney made me feel as though this one would be equally as forgettable. Jesus Henry Christ was I wrong.

The first round started with Lebedev totally in control, and Jones almost looking as though he was just there for the payday for the first minute, but then he just began catching Lebedev with jabs and straight rights with succession after succession and opening a cut over Lebedevs eye making this one start to become intriguing. The cut was terrible, however Lebedev landed a crunching straight left on Jones' right cheek to end the first round, it was already far better than most felt it could have been.

The second was starting to see the fight being fought at a torrid pace, Lebedev starting off landing left hands at will for the first minute before Jones began coming back at him in spots, Lebedev seemingly couldn't miss with the straight left and kept landing on Jones but Jones kept firing back before both went completely toe-to-toe in the last 20 seconds with neither man seemingly wanting to back down.

When I said Lebedev could barely miss with his left hand, I genuinely meantit with him landing 21/22 of his power shots but with Jones walking him down and making him work hard, the pace continuing and with Lebedevs eye beginning to look terrible and starting to look more and more ragged as the rounds continued. Lebedev starting to look more and more tired and more ragged with Jones seemingly being able to walk through walls to get to Denis, Lebedev literally not being able to see a thing through his right eye.

Then in the 7th for the first time Jones genuinely shook by a 4 punch combination and Lebedev trying desperately to get his man out of there but Jones getting battered for the first part of the round starts to come back at him towards the last 30 seconds incredibly. But at the start of the 8th round Lebedev look srenewed an dominates the round from start to finish with Jones now looking tired. Then the momentum swings yet again, Jones standing right in the pocket and firing hard shots against Lebedev, both men trading massive shots, however Jones getting far of the better action and the same in the 10th, with Lebedev quite possibly having the worst eye I have ever seen. In the 11th both men trade over and over again until eventually Lebedev seemingly takes a knee and is counted out.

Jones then later failed a drugs test unfortunately, putting a real dampener on it.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzzct2_2013-05-17-denis-lebedev-vs-guillermo-jones_sport

4. Brandon Rios Vs. Mike Alvarado 2 - Alvarado UD 12

Both men were known as rough tough guys that never gave up, both had come from behind to win fights by KO before, and they had both fought once before resulting in one of the best fights of the year the year previously. Rios knocked Alvarado out in the previous fight, with a slightly contentious stoppage with quite a few saying the ref stepped in too early.

Fights can rarely be guaranteed to be great, however every once in a while you get a fight that you look at the matchup and think, "How can this be a bad fight?"

Both men got rocked early, and the fight went back and forth very similarly like the first fight. The only difference this time was Alvarado was able to not get tagged by the major shots too many times and moved around the ring much better this time, out boxing Rios with Rios not being able to get close enough to make his pressure sustained enough to make it count. Making it possible for Alvarado to exact his revenge, only for Rios to then get his shot against The Pacman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4FzNbG6OfM

3. Adrien Broner Vs. Marcos Rene Maidana - Maidana UD 12

This was of course a huge upset, not many people picking Maidana due to the fact that he had been beaten a few times before by good technical boxers and most of us starting to buy into the hype that Broner was genuinely something special.

Maidana was close to quitting boxing last year after he was beaten and was unmotivated to train properly against Devon Alexander resulting in one of his worst performances to date with Alexander winning every second of every round. Then he leaves trainer Miguel Diaz, and takes on what is generally regarded as one of the finest trainers around at this moment in time in Robert Garcia, trainer of Nonito Donaire, Mikey Garcia and Brandon Rios. Garcia began to refine Maidana adding new tools into his game, shortening up his punches and adding better footwork and a jab into his arsenal. Winning 3 fights in a row all by KO in terrific fashion.

Broner looked to have the world under his feet, people comparing him to Mayweather and talk of him taking over boxing, dazzling his way to 3 titles at different weight classes in 19 months. However looking slightly suspect at Welterweight in his performance against Paulie Malignaggi. In hindsight, him leaping up to 147 from 135 and never actually taking on a fighter that was a bigger puncher than he was, and never taking on someone who would actually outweigh him on the night for a change were all warning signs that perhaps more of us should have looked at. Add into the fact that he had appeared to be in woeful shape a couple of months previously touring the country rapping and making sex tapes, doing everything except boxing it very much appeared.

Maidana decided to bullrush Broner to start off, seemingly buzzing Broner for the first time in his career, in the first round. Though we had seen Broner start very slowly in many fights with him then turning it on and taking the fight to his opponent and dominating with ease. He hadn't done this against someone like Maidana, however. Broner at the end of the round once again displayed his persona by grabbing Maidana from behind and faking a sex act behind him as if to show the crowd he wasn't getting to him at all and he was in complete control. In the second round Maidana went down as though he was going to go to the body and caught Broner with a left hook sending him back, he then came forward and landed yet another one this time to the shock of pretty much everyone dropping Broner heavily for the first time in his career.

Broner got up and was on seriously wobbly legs, a sight that I couldn't believe. Maidana then charged forward landing huge punches, seriously hurting Broner with every shot he threw and making it as uncomfortable for Broner as he could. Malignaggi commentating was saying "I know its Adrien Broner, the up and coming star so they're gonna give him every chance possible, but the ref might need to stop this 'cos he's hurt bad". Broner managed to survive the storm and began to seize more control as the rounds went on and closing the gap on the scorecards. The rounds being pretty debatable but Broner probably seizing most of them just about having it even on the scorecards, up until the eight where Broner was beginning to have more success, due to him pushing Maidana back and Maidana being a fighter who is no where near as effective on the back foot. But yet again, Maidana landed two solid left hooks, which dropped Broner for the second time and Maidana then came at him looking to finish him off, Broner then grabbed both of Maidana's arms and stopped him being able to throw anything prompting Maidana to headbutt him and cost him a point. At which point Broner began milking it for as much as it was worth trying to get a disqualification or at the very least recover from the knockdown he had just suffered. Whilst the headbutt was bad, the playacting from Broner was near enough just as bad.

Maidana then had a monster 9th round and Broner, who had been very low in terms of workrate in this and other fights was barely able to let his hands go, barely throwing 10 punches in the round with Maidana rocking him over and over again and pushing him into the ropes. Maidana in the 10th then grabbed Broner from behind and exacted his revenge and faking a sex act behind him as if almost to say "Who's f**king who now?) Maidana then looked on course to try and see it out as the 11th round rolled by and was doing ok until Broner hit him a good second or so after the bell sounded for the 11th round to end, seemingly doing damage on the unsuspecting Maidana. He appeared shaky at the start of the 12th and Broner seemingly hurt him with a straight right hand and went after him and both men exchanged giant shots, Broner being rocked on a couple of occasions from big left hooks which buckled his knees and Maidana fought on to the end to earn a hard fought Unanimous Decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybGRpU4zvAg

2. Timothy Bradley Vs. Ruslan Provodnikov - Bradley UD 12

Timothy Bradley should have been in a great place, just dethroning Manny in his last fight and becoming a two weight world champion. However, he had suffered from depression from a terrible backlash with the way that he had gotten the victory, fought his heart out, but seemingly most fans believed that Manny had been robbed by Bradley. So he was out to fight Ruslan Provodnikov, the very dangerous hard hitting Siberian.

Bradley seemingly with a point to prove went out and traded from the get go, not a wise decision as he was fighting a man that was much better at this type of a fight, and a far bigger puncher. Bradley was hit very hard in the first and seemingly went down due to the punch, referee Pat Russell ruled it a slip however when Bradley stood back up he fell halfway across the ring with seemingly no legs under him. he managed to fight his way out of the round on queer street. Then in the second everything appeared to be unravelling at the seams for Bradley as he was fighting completely the wrong fight, and getting tagged with thunderous punches. Bradley somehow staying up and fighting back hard was wobbled several times in the second, however in the third he began boxing and moving and being a lot smarter and recognising that it was not a good idea to trade with Ruslan. Bradley began to pick up rounds and looked as though he had seen the crisis out until the 6th where he got caught along the ropes and was virtually out on his feet, Bradley somehow didn't get knocked out or even knocked down, and seemed to just throw punches back semi conscious with his ridiculous desire to win coming to the fore and actually surviving the round.

Bradley then began to fight his way back into it yet again, mixing brawling with his better boxing skills and picking up the majority of the rounds in a gruelling fight. It had started to look as though Bradley had managed to make it out of the fight, but then disaster for him struck in the 12th and the underdog caught him with a right hook which sent him staggering across the ring and leaning against the ropes, Provodnikov smelling blood rushed across and began mauling him landing giant shots on Bradley, Bradley using every survival tactic he could muster managed to hold Provodnikov off for a little while but then got caught again and took a barrage of punches before his knee touching the ground. The knockdown making the fight closer on the scorecards and a fair few thinking Ruslan had done enough to win the fight. However in my view the fight was scored very well and Bradley went away with a close but Unanimous Decision, however if the knockdown if the first round had been called...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y9L15cJv1k

1. Carl Froch Vs. George Groves - Froch By KO 9

For me, the FOTY. A lot of people felt that Groves was going to get taken out ala Bute due to him seemingly not having the best chin after the Kenny Anderson fight, however select few of us had a lot of faith in Groves and believed he had the tools to beat Froch. I picked Groves to not only win, but to win by KO, that very nearly did happen, which shocked a fair few...

When Groves walked to the ring, I could see in his eyes that he was there to win and he believed in himself and it wasn't all just hype, when he stepped into the ring and was waiting for the introductions he stared across the ring at Carl Froch for a good minute ala Chris Eubank back in the 90's making it seem like his words were about to be rung true. And boy were they.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPUgu1kTcf8

"I think he believes that I'm going to get in there and run from him, but Carl, you're wrong. I'm gonna come out and I'm gonna meet you, centre of the ring, first and I'm gonna win the jab exchanges, and I'm gonna hit you with two right hands, just two, just to let you know that whenever I want I can hit you with a right hand."

Boy was that a bold prediction, boy did it ring true in that first round. Though he didn't mention anything about nearly sparking Froch out in the first round, which resulted in me screaming like a little girl and making me tremble and scream "I can't believe it!"

Groves had come out with a terrific gameplan and was on fire from the word go, straight into his zone, whilst Froch started a little more tentatively and it began to show. Groves was seemingly desperate to get his right hand into play at any point he could, and with the low left of Froch and the speed of Groves he was making a real home for the right hand.

Incredibly Groves was taking everything away that made Froch special, he was taking away his main weapon in which he used in his last fight to beat Kessler with. His jab, in the first round of the second fight with Kessler he landed 16 jabs to 1, against Groves he was being counter jabbed far too easily. Froch couldn't really get his physical strength into play because the speed and footwork of Groves was pushing him onto the back foot, negating his physical strength and when Froch was able to push forward Groves was grabbing him and pushing him back almost immediately, almost seemingly being stronger than in him there. But the one thing Froch relies on above all else is that magnificent chin, however Groves was able to crack it in the first round and whenever he landed cleanly he hurt Froch, which was utterly shocking to most at ringside, he was unbelievably taking Froch apart at the seams. It showed that Froch was simply too slow for Groves on the outside in the 4th where Groves came in at Froch from way outside taking two huge steps before throwing a right hand that landed perfectly on Froch, with Froch making basic defensive mistakes, showing that he wasn't sharp, at this stage, and Groves really was.

Then came a huge sixth round for Groves around about at a time when it started to feel as though Froch's experience may have started to pull him back into the fight Groves tee'd off with right hands on Froch, prompting a warrior response, of one of his huge barrages to get back into it. However, Groves stood there in the pocket and traded with Froch , and totally outdid him in a torrid exchange making Jim Watt scream "George Groves completely OUTFOUGHT him there!" something not many felt Groves would have been able to do. However, Froch displaying an almighty sign of courage after wobbling slightly came forward yet again with another barrage but Groves beat him to the punch again landing a crunching right hand on Froch's jaw, Froch tried to come in with yet another huge barrage and Groves simply couldn't miss with yet another huge right hand landing bang on Froch's chin. Groves starting to go right hand happy pushed forward landing more right hands on Froch and then threw one with poor positioning allowing Froch to get a barrage off and seriously catch Groves for the first time in the fight, pushing him back against the ropes. So what does Groves do? Drop his hands and go toe to toe with Froch, though Froch didn't land an awful lot of note it truly was crazy tactics with Jim Watt screaming about the foolishness of youth, however it resulted in for me one of the greatest rounds in British Boxing.

Groves came back with sensible boxing in the 7th managing to hurt Froch again with a couple of right hands and doing enough to win the round with his smart boxing yet again, George just looking so much better balanced than Froch, but the pace did look to be getting to him slightly, because keeping Carl Froch off of you and actually pushing him back is no easy task, even Ward looked like he was struggling with doing it towards the last couple of rounds and Groves had worked extremely hard. In the eight Froch appeared to be taking over and Groves' punches looked as though they were losing a little bit of there snap and Froch's barrages looked to be gaining more accuracy, though he looked very tired himself.

Of course in the 9th round it has to be one of the most controversial rounds in British boxing for some time. Groves for the first time was genuinely shaken, and Froch was getting to him and throwing enough punches at Groves for Howard Foster to declare that Groves was unfit to continue. In my view it was unfair, Froch was allowed to carry on and given the benefit of the doubt in the first round when he was tottering after the heaviest punch he had taken in his career, Groves wasn't allowed to show that he had enough in him to fight back and get himself back into things. Having seen Groves in a worse position against Kenny Anderson and recovering it's my opinion that Groves should have been given an extra bit of time to see if he could clear his head and get back at Froch.

Nevertheless, both men deserve huge credit, Groves for surprising everyone, because although, certain people, myself included believed he could win the fight, I did not expect a performance such as that, and Froch deserves huge props for managing to get himself back into the fight, biting down on the gum shield and of course *sigh* (You knew it was coming) being a warrior and fighting in the trenches when it got tough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xvFXxe-c14

So that's my top 5 fights of the year, lots of great fights this year, honourable mentions with, Figoroa Vs. Arakawa, Froch Vs. Kessler, Keith Thurman Vs. Diego Chaves, Andre Berto Vs. Jesus Soto Karass, Marcos Maidana Vs. Josesito Lopez, Provodnikov Vs. Alvarado, Glenn Tapia Vs. James Kirkland, Lee Purdy Vs. Leonard Bundu, Tommy Coyle, Vs. Derry Mathews, Stuart Hall Vs. Malinga, Arreola Vs. Stiverne, Gennady Golovkin Vs. Curtis Stevens, Alfredo Angulo Vs. Erislandy Lara, Canelo Vs Trout and many more which I've missed which show just what a fantastic year 2013 has been.

Thanks for reading.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Alex's Top 5 Fights Of The Year Empty Re: Alex's Top 5 Fights Of The Year

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 31 Dec 2013, 10:34 am

Good read Alex thumbsup

Not sure whats happened with the 'failed' test with Jones but he's still WBA 'Super' Cruiser champ?

Mine are:

1) Lebedev v Jones
2) Bradley v Provodnikov
3) Froch v Groves
4) Broner v Maidana
5) Alvarado v Provodnikov

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 31 Dec 2013, 11:01 am

Lebedev vs Jones is happening again in 2014, if it's half as good as the first fight it'll be a great watch.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 31 Dec 2013, 11:16 am

Mayweather v Canelo.............

How to disarm a very dangerous and bigger fighter and make a tough fight look laughably easy.......

Every kid learning to box should watch..............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 31 Dec 2013, 12:56 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Mayweather v Canelo.............

How to disarm a very dangerous and bigger fighter and make a tough fight look laughably easy.......

Don't think it was a tough fight, only to the lay person. Alvarez is not a pressure fighter but a good strong all round boxer. Fighting they way he usually fights, it didn't take a genius to see he was going to get schooled by the best pure boxer of the last 20 years.

No one is going to outbox Floyd, but he could be out hustled. Alvarez had the physical attributes but the wrong style/gameplan.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 31 Dec 2013, 1:08 pm

Good list, Alex. I'd probably go....

1) Bradley-Provodnikov
2) Jones-Lebedev
3) Froch-Groves
4) Maidana-Lopez
5) Crolla-Matthews II

Alvarado-Rios II also excellent as well.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 31 Dec 2013, 1:11 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:

Don't think it was a tough fight, only to the lay person. Alvarez is not a pressure fighter but a good strong all round boxer. Fighting they way he usually fights, it didn't take a genius to see he was going to get schooled by the best pure boxer of the last 20 years.

No one is going to outbox Floyd, but he could be out hustled. Alvarez had the physical attributes but the wrong style/gameplan.

Plenty of geniuses on here calling for the fight though........Including the wally above........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 31 Dec 2013, 1:24 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:

Plenty of geniuses on here calling for the fight though........Including the wally above........

No saying it wasn't a great performance, but not in the top 5 fights of the year. Not sure what planet Alvarez was on thinking he could outbox Floyd.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 31 Dec 2013, 1:30 pm

"Mayweather would never dare fight Canelo"...........

"No one thought Canelo had a chance"

What a difference a year makes.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 31 Dec 2013, 1:33 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:"Mayweather would never dare fight Canelo"...........

"No one thought Canelo had a chance"

What a difference a year makes.

Did I say that?  Shocked 

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 31 Dec 2013, 1:34 pm

I never said I was quoting you..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 31 Dec 2013, 3:25 pm

It takes a special kind of love to acknowledge Alvarez vs Floyd as the best fight of the year. I've not yet watched the full thing because it was such a borefest.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 31 Dec 2013, 3:33 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:It takes a special kind of love to acknowledge Alvarez vs Floyd as the best fight of the year. I've not yet watched the full thing because it was such a borefest.

Good shout for worst fight of the year. That and Klitschko vs Povetkin. Urgh.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 31 Dec 2013, 4:32 pm

Purist love.........The love of the poet...............Not the mindless thug.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 31 Dec 2013, 5:32 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Purist love.........The love of the poet...............Not the mindless thug.

Floyd is a woman beating dirt bag. Probably why you like him.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 31 Dec 2013, 5:37 pm

Only one of the reasons

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 31 Dec 2013, 8:33 pm

Have to be honest I can't possibly see Alvarez/Mayweather being a FOTY candidate, however it was a terrific performance from Floyd. FOTY candidate's have to be for me
1.) Entertaining - Which it wasn't particularly.
2.) Competitive - Which it wasn't particularly.

Still a fantastic display of how to disarm a very good boxer who outweighs you massively on the night with pure boxing skills.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down