The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A serious RWC plan B. Who's got one?

+7
robbo277
TheGreyGhost
Notch
Thomond
red_stag
emack2
Portnoy
11 posters

Go down

A serious RWC plan B. Who's got one? Empty A serious RWC plan B. Who's got one?

Post by Portnoy Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:07 pm

Seems to me that all all countries are developing a style of play and pretty much they don't budge from it.

Of course there is the need to retain core players, but there is a need to react in adversity.

Which country can perform reactively best to reverse a half-time deficit?

(I think Ireland).
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

A serious RWC plan B. Who's got one? Empty Re: A serious RWC plan B. Who's got one?

Post by emack2 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:15 pm

The All Blacks may not have a Plan B as such,BUT they usually play for the full 80 minutes at the same intensity.
If you consider that for example,in most of the last 11 matches they have played versus the Wallabies.
They were losing at half time,they won 10 out of the 11,in two matches in the 2010 3Ns they should have lost,but by sheer cussedness they won them.

emack2

Back to top Go down

A serious RWC plan B. Who's got one? Empty Re: A serious RWC plan B. Who's got one?

Post by Portnoy Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:18 pm

emack2 wrote:The All Blacks may not have a Plan B as such,BUT they usually play for the full 80 minutes at the same intensity.
If you consider that for example,in most of the last 11 matches they have played versus the Wallabies.
They were losing at half time,they won 10 out of the 11,in two matches in the 2010 3Ns they should have lost,but by sheer cussedness they won them.

2007 v France. THe intensity failed and there was no plan B.

You need one (although I suspect you have one).
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:22 pm

For me many teams do. South Africa with Lambie is very different to Steyn. Similarly I've seen France use the power of their tight 5 to hurt teams set pieces and use that to launch backline moves. I've also see them be completely disorganised up front and live off counter attacks and more reckless play.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:26 pm

Ireland are different with ROG. France would be different with Beauxis at out half or Michalak.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:37 pm

I don't think they're taking either of them Thomond. It will be Skrela or Trinh-Duc... unless Lievremont pulls another rabbit out. Damien Traille? Surely that one has been out to bed!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:39 pm

I kind of thought that after I posted. France would be different with Traille at the helm. They would be awful!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:45 pm

Nah, sure he started at 10 against Australia and that didn't go so badl... ahh, yes... Whistle
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:47 pm

In 2002 England demonstrated two entirely different game plans on back-to-back Saturdays. One a turgid slug-fest in NZ and the other a hard ground open game.

I'm not sure that any team has replicaed that A and B game.

That's what I mean - the ability to play multiple styles.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:20 pm

Yes, its essential. Its the mark of the really great teams in a way. They can beat you in any way they choose Smile

The other way is the romantic commitment to a singular style, a way of playing the game, that is in itself worthy. I admire the single mindedness and love of the game this shows but my preference is to win games by any means, not neutral hearts if it comes at the expense of winning!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:38 pm

I don't know about a backup plan, but I heard a story that at least one team has their black up strip nailed down. Sorry, back up strip nailed down.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:41 pm

I do. Plan A is to get up and watch the games, Plan B is Sky+. I've even got a Plan C (ITV Player).

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sat 30 Jul 2011, 4:18 am

Plan B is usually to keep trying Plan A until it works.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sat 30 Jul 2011, 5:05 am

Plan a get to a few games
Plan B watch as many of rest as I can
Plan C enjoy the rugby
Plan D Cope when the AB's get knocked out.

Plan D is a work in progress. The strategy at the moment involves large amounts of alcohol. I'm open to any helpful suggestions.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 30 Jul 2011, 5:10 am

I see youre in Wellington canelion. You going tonight? was just reading youre thread with WeshJohn. Wonder if it will be pulled. Hope not...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sun 31 Jul 2011, 1:42 pm

Thought about it. Had a night in with the family. Spent far to much money on the world cup to buy tickets. Would have had to take the kids, which is a bit of mare at that time of night.

Lol, re: the thread. Gave up on it last week. I see that it moderated over the weekend. Sounds like it was very heated.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 31 Jul 2011, 4:01 pm

Ireland often adapt to a style of game depending on the opposition. They can win in a variety of ways which is good, but I'd prefer it if we could impose our own game on teams, which is something we rarely do.

The likes of Italy and Argentina can nearly always drag us down to their level. We often end up in very physical forward battles with the English, kicking duels with the South Africans and running try-fests with the French.

I suppose it's a good thing though, that we are capable in all these styles. I just wish we didn't always play to the oppositions level in a style of their choosing.

I loved the game against England this year, where we dominated the rucks, played at a high speed and intensity and kicked cleverly. It was finally a distinctive style of play that the opposition couldn't stop.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down