The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantasy Aviva Premiership Season 4 homepage

+7
Steven_Sharks
stnick88
SirJohnnyEnglish
prop_lyd
Ozzy3213
Sgt_Pooly
Driver
11 posters

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

Fantasy Aviva Premiership Season 4 homepage - Page 3 Empty Fantasy Aviva Premiership Season 4 homepage

Post by Driver Mon 08 Aug 2011, 4:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Fantasy Aviva Premiership Season 4 homepage - Page 3 Aviva+Premiership+Logo
Welcome to the Aviva Premiership Season 4

Fantasy Aviva Premiership Season 4 homepage - Page 3 Aviva-Premiership-Trophy-e1306508139154
2010/2011 - Newcastle Falcons
2009/2010 - Saracens
2008/2009 - London Irish

Teams
Bath RFC
InTheFastLane
Exeter Chiefs Driver - RIP 606
Gloucester Anonmattyt
Harlequins
Steven_Sharks
Leicester Tigers
LukeLovesLuka
London Irish
stnick88
London Wasps
Arry
Newcastle Falcons
Sgt_Pooly
Northampton Saints
Dammit_Chris
Sale Sharks
SirJohnnyEnglish
Saracens
LDCPete
Worcester Warriors prop_lyd

Links
Rules
Fixtures
Aviva Premiership League Table
European Homepage
LV Cup homepage
Budgets
Domestic Confirmations
Transfer Homepage
Foreign Transfers
Press Releases

Waiting List
1. Sam
2. pullthestrings
3. Bathite
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Fantasy Aviva Premiership Season 4 homepage - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantasy Aviva Premiership Season 4 homepage

Post by Guest Thu 11 Aug 2011, 10:36 am

Look how much better the aussies side looks with Higginbotham and Sharpe

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_7092712,00.html

Sharpe makes them a much better team

Back to top Go down

Fantasy Aviva Premiership Season 4 homepage - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantasy Aviva Premiership Season 4 homepage

Post by Guest Thu 11 Aug 2011, 10:38 am

Also from Planet rugby

Fabien Barcella:
If there was a prize for giving your coach a headache, the Biarritz prop would get it. Despite not playing in over a year, Marc Lièvremont took a leap of faith and included Barcella in France's squad. In the last 18 months, Barcella has ruptured knee ligaments, snapped his Achilles tendon and has now torn his bicep, ruling him out of Saturday's clash with Ireland. Some guys just have no luck...

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Arry Thu 11 Aug 2011, 10:39 am

Glad to see Higginbotham has been given a chance, he deserves it after a quality season for the Reds.

'Arry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 11 Aug 2011, 11:02 am

Barcella is fit Matt but not fully up to match fitness. He's down as standby for the Ireland game.

Similar story with Steenkamp who's not had much luck with injuries over the last year or two.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Steven_Sharks Thu 11 Aug 2011, 12:25 pm

You were close to the team chris

swap Corbs for Wilson and Monye for Cueto

Steven_Sharks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 11 Aug 2011, 12:41 pm

SA for weekend:

South Africa: F Steyn, J.P Pietersen, J Fourie, J de Villiers, B Habana, B James, F du Preez; T Mtawarira, J Smit, J du Plessis, B Botha, V Matfield, H Brussow, D Rossouw, P Spies

Replacements: B du Plessis, G Steenkamp, G Mostert, J Deysel, F Houggard, M Steyn, G Aplon

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by stnick88 Thu 11 Aug 2011, 12:57 pm

Strong SA team, fancy them to win this weekend.

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:07 pm

Why is he out with a torn bicep if he is fit??

Good to see Steenkamp back. he is a massive boost to the Boks. i fancy the boks to win also.

How does BDP not start and why pick Roussouw at 6 and Brussouw when he has not played. Very strange decisions. Roussouw can play 8 internationally but not 6 for me

Also think De Jongh is unlucky not to get bench. pienaar also should always be bench as he offers options.

PdV is a clown. Boks could win the WC easily with another coach
Backline much better though

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:18 pm

No Wilson praise the lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_7093283,00.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 11 Aug 2011, 2:18 pm

Torn bicep was a couple of weeks back and he's been back in training for a while from what I've read. Doubt he'd be on standby if he was still injured.

Seen pics of Barcella in training with a bandage on arm, may be minor.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Steven_Sharks Thu 11 Aug 2011, 2:40 pm

Sale sign Jonny Leota

Steven_Sharks

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Thu 11 Aug 2011, 3:10 pm

Anyone seen the Wales side for the weekend yet?
If we dont give them a stuffing I will be seriously disappointed!!
How Gatland is still manager is truly shocking! Erm

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by Steven_Sharks Thu 11 Aug 2011, 3:40 pm

Is it that bad of a team?

we should destroy there front 5 but the rest isn't so bad as to expect us to batter them at there own ground

Steven_Sharks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Aug 2011, 3:48 pm

James Hook; George North; Jamie Roberts, Gavin Henson; Shane Williams; Rhys Priestland, Mike Phillips; Paul James, Lloyd Burns, Craig Mitchell, Luke Charteris, Alun Wyn Jones, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton, Toby Faletau

Replacements: Huw Bennett, Ryan Bevington, Josh Turnbull, Justin Tipuric, Tavis Knoyle, Scott Williams, Aled Brew

Most papers thought they would drop Wyn Jones as he is struggling so badly but gatland has shown faith

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Thu 11 Aug 2011, 3:55 pm

I think it is Steve!

Phillips at 9 makes our defensive job much much easier. We should batter them in the set piece and across the park with a much stronger front 5. Henson is somewhat a defensive weakness these days. Their best centre is playing at FB! And what happens when Tipuric or to a lesser extent Turnbull are needed to cover lock or 8. They will be way out of the depth and would expect them to get blown away. Gatland hasnt really got a clue what hes doing these days and I'd ay hes happy enough to see out the world cup and collect his pay cheque from the WRU

If we dont win this comfortably I will be quite dissapointed.

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Aug 2011, 4:16 pm

I am off to the game saturday and there is nothing better in the rugby calendar than beating Wales in Wales. I was also at the 6nations game this year and i do love how bitter they get.

Prop is a minority in that he is not a bitter welshman where rugby is concerned Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Steven_Sharks Thu 11 Aug 2011, 4:16 pm

I have to disagree. I think we'll win but it won't be a massive margin.

I still think Phillips is a better 9 than Wigglesworth, we won't be dominating the lineout in fact I could see them taking some off our throw.

I don't see Henson as a defensive weakness at all, he has always been solid. I certainly don't think he'll be tested by Hape. See the midfield being pretty one dimensional to be honest.

Steven_Sharks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Aug 2011, 4:24 pm

I think we can really get after young LLoyds Burns throw. It will be his debut and Deacon and co can hopefully pressure it massively

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Thu 11 Aug 2011, 4:32 pm

Phillips 2/3 years ago maybe a better scrumhalf but he has been shocking for 18 months now. His service is terribly slow which ruins Wales attacking game. Most welsh lads would agree with that if you take the rugby board here as a sample. Wiggles is actually the type of scrummie Wales need. Good fast service from the ruck.

Will concede we wont dominate the lineout but can't see Wales doing so either. We have more then enough jumpers to hold our own ball. We will muller them in the scrum though.

Henson's straight on tackling has been questioned since his latest return. Seems to be worried about getting hurt when going in against the big carriers which England have plenty off at the moment. Englands midfield is most definately one dimensional but its good at what it does and will run at Henson all day. The welsh midfield on current form is pretty 1 dimensional as well.

I do really expect it to be a comfortable day out regardless of the English/Welsh rivalry. think Gatland has gone about it completly wrong with his side

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Thu 11 Aug 2011, 4:34 pm

Vito to play against South Africa:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/5426834/Victor-Vito-in-surprise-All-Blacks-callup

I'm hoping its only a chance to prove himself for post world cup while Henry rests some of the lads going to the world cup! He better not get himself called up for the world cup been banking on having him!!

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Thu 11 Aug 2011, 5:08 pm

anonmattyt wrote:

Prop is a minority in that he is not a bitter welshman where rugby is concerned Wink

Cheers bud! Ok! To be honest i'm not too worried about Burns...he's got a big point to prove and I'd rate him above Bennett plus he's got his teamamate as target.

The 3 which i'm worried about are: Phillips (get rid of him), Hook (should have been roberts at 15 and JD2 at 13), No Delve-this guy is in tremendous form and has the knowledge of the sh back rows!!

I would like to think we'll nick it just on our home patch with a lot of players needing big games i.e Henson.
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 11 Aug 2011, 5:19 pm

Any win on Welsh soil is always a hard fought victory. I'd be pretty happy with a 1 point sneak.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by dammit_chris Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:19 pm

SJE - do you not think that it is actually the Welsh inability to generate quick ball for any of its no9s that is the problem. Reading in most newspapers last weekend Phillips was the second best performer in their team after Roberts, watching at Twickenham and he did have a good game, reckon going to France will get him playing back to his best. Wigglesworth isnt in his league.

Looks certain that Simpson, Wilson, Botha, Monye, Payne, Sharples, Robshaw and Doran-Jones are all definitely missing out this time round. Reckon other choices will be:

Hodgson or Flutey
Fourie or Shaw

dammit_chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:31 pm

"do you not think that it is actually the Welsh inability to generate quick ball "

See a little truth in that but it's no excuse. Phillips get plenty of quick ball for Wales and O's but he takes on too much rather than just letting his 10 make the shots. Thought he played quite well on Saturday but he's been pretty awful for a while now.

I'd personally rather have Wigglesworth in my team than Phillips right now, get a quick service and great basics. Phillips of 09 would obviously be better but I don't think he's likely to get back to that, nothing I've seen of him over the years suggests that anyway.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by dammit_chris Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:44 pm

But Pooly he actually had a good game against England last week. It was abundantly clear that England smashed them all over the place in the breakdown and Wales only got better ball when the 5 subs came on at 60min mark.

For me he's the sort of player you would want in international games where it is a bit more aggressive, his game would be perfectly suited for the premiership too. I like him, he's not as good as he was in 2009, but I can see him coming back strong as soon as he's playing in France.

Personally never thought of Wigglesworth as anything more than a good club player who can pass the ball - wont challenge defences at all either.

dammit_chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:51 pm

People forget Wigglesworth was main 9 a few years back and player very well for England. I like a good basics scrum half and Phillips isn't that.

He did play pretty well on Saturday but has been pretty terrible for a while now. I've never really been a fan, though the Lions tour was his exception and thought he got overhyped on that too.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by dammit_chris Thu 11 Aug 2011, 8:18 pm

Pooly, people forget that Phillips was the best 9 in the world in 2009 - could never put Wigglesworth in same category, a top international has to have more than good basics. Phillips has great defence, can carry the ball up and is obviously very well thought of in the Welsh camp.

They stopped him playing at the Ospreys because he wanted to leave them, nothing to do with form as him on his worst form was better than their replacement on good form.

I like the confrontational style he brings to a game, think it would work well if you have him playing for first 50mins and then bring on a faster no9 for final 30mins. He will be so important for Wales in the games versus Fiji and Samoa...

dammit_chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 11 Aug 2011, 8:24 pm

"Pooly, people forget that Phillips was the best 9 in the world in 2009 - could never put Wigglesworth in same category, a top international has to have more than good basics. Phillips has great defence, can carry the ball up and is obviously very well thought of in the Welsh camp. "

I never thought he was anywhere near best in world Chris. Never liked his style myself, takes too much on and has very hit and miss service. I've never stated otherwise, ask Steve. I know matt and Steve like him but I just don't see it. Think we've had this discussion about 10 times lol

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 11 Aug 2011, 8:33 pm

"Phillips has great defence, can carry the ball up"

Not really qualities I'd be looking for when I think of top scrum halfs. Snappy pass, game management, consistent service and ability to read a game are up there and I think these are things Phillips has a problem with lately.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by dammit_chris Thu 11 Aug 2011, 8:49 pm

different qualities make him different and that causes other defences to think more - look at teh try he set up, and the breaks he made and the space he creates. I like him, he'll improve and get better again.

dammit_chris

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:27 am

Chris the difference in the speed of service last week was more then noticeable when Knoyle came on for Phillips. Might have been a bad day at the office for the welsh at the breakdown but that doesnt excuse his form of the past 2 years! His service just isnt up to scratch for international rugby.

And he was dropped from the O's because he was playing shockingly poor no other reason. Rhys Webb stepped in and looked a cracking prospect keeping Phillips out of the side then.

When nearly all of Wales is calling for him to be dropped from the side you know hes not playing well

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:53 am

I dont but phillips having poor service. He was hitting 12 from base of scrum and hitting monster passes out wide on the lions tour and at some velocity.

What i think happened is what has happened to AWJ etc in that they believe their own hype and end up the big fish in the small wales pond.

You very rarely see the england rugby team or premiership teams out on the town. Go to Cardiff or Swansea and you will see them out every week. The welsh players are massively unprofessional in general.

Look how their players improve when they go to france or other countries.

Personally when on form i think Phillips has much better service than any other of the home nations sides.

Cussiter- Average service his game is more of a threat from base.
Youngs- Service again average- cracking prospect.
Reddan- Average service
Stringer- all service nowt else

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:45 am

When was the last time Phillips was on form though? Been two years now. All four of the scrummies listed have much faster and cleaner service for me currently. Youngs and Stringer particularly would suit the Welsh game plan down to a key.

Phillips should for me be behind Peel, Knoyle and Williams in the pecking order currently. Just doesnt suit their game style at the moment.

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:57 am

I agree there Sir J....I really don't rate/like Phillips at the moment HOWEVER against the pacific island nations he may come into his own especially when keeping hold of the balla t the back of the breakdown.
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:06 am

I think Phillips has been poor a lot of the time due to wales having an awful backrow. To be fair there backrow is getting better and they have a few more options but wales were getting killed at the breakdown.

As i posted earlier he has been poor for a long time but i think his move to france will see him become the player he was

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:32 am

I agree there Matt, don't think Phillips has awful delivery it's just so inconsistent. His passing against Scotland this year was a prime example

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by CJB Fri 12 Aug 2011, 2:27 pm

I'm away for 2 weeks starting tommorow. Will try get on the internet as much as possible

CJB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 12 Aug 2011, 5:36 pm

Bath finally get Donald:

http://www.bathrugby.com/news/10326.php

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Fri 12 Aug 2011, 5:37 pm

All that hassle and watch him be a flop lol
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Fri 12 Aug 2011, 5:40 pm

Also Matt Rees out of world cup
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 12 Aug 2011, 5:46 pm

Gutted for Matthew Rees and gutted that I sold him to Steve now!!! Sad
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 12 Aug 2011, 5:47 pm

I think he'll do well Driver. Not had a good year but he's got a decent all round game and imagine he'll get a good ride at Bath.

Big big loss for Wales.

Anybody know where the France/Ireland game is on tv wise?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Steven_Sharks Fri 12 Aug 2011, 5:50 pm

Big blow for Wales. Sam Warburton likely to captain them now then.

Good for me I suppose. decent options at Hooker during world cup

Steven_Sharks

Back to top Go down

Post by dammit_chris Fri 12 Aug 2011, 6:40 pm

Guys off to stag do - will get my predictions by Sunday, as think I might struggle to focus otherwise...

Have a good weekend and enjoy the rugby - if England win I will be well chuffed, as we are playing a completely new team whereas Wales played last week. Big advantage for Wales that. England by 5?

dammit_chris

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Fri 12 Aug 2011, 6:48 pm

Rees out??!! What? Ah bollix.....let's hope for an injury to Bennett too!!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Aug 2011, 8:54 pm

Donald will rip the Prem to shreds quality player and really ignites a backline. Bad for wales that.

Anyone know where Ireland and France can be watched ???

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 12 Aug 2011, 8:58 pm

Not on Matt. I'll be d/l Saturday night. Shame as he looks on paper to be a cracker.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:12 pm

Not convinced with Donald, very hit and miss for me
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Steven_Sharks Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:54 pm

I reckon Donald will be a huge sucess to be honest. Him and Louw should take Bath to another level.

Steven_Sharks

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:32 pm

Dont know if you can pick it up over there but the Ireland France game is being shown on RTE tomorrow evening.

The other half is away for the weekend so I have a cracking weekend of football and rugby in store! Very Happy

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next