The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

club selection from greenside bunkers

+5
raycastleunited
goldwolf
Maverick
Rossa
barragan
9 posters

Go down

club selection from greenside bunkers Empty club selection from greenside bunkers

Post by barragan Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:09 am

i played a few holes last night and found myself in the sand on the 3rd hole. i was only carrying a half set with me and left my usual sand weapon - the 56 - at home. i usually use this out of the sand for most shots, with the exception of the occasional steep faced bunker which might require the 60, but on this occasion i had a dig with the 52. first time i'd ever used it out of the sand and i stuck it from about 20-25 yards to a foot. i think i've heard before that seve used to flop them out for fun with a 3iron - but how many of your clubs do you consider for selection for greenside bunker shots or do you always turn to the same trusted club?

barragan

Back to top Go down

club selection from greenside bunkers Empty Re: club selection from greenside bunkers

Post by Rossa Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:16 am

It depends on the desired trajectory based on where the flag is, amount of green to work with, the bunker i am in etc, but its usually 52 or 58 but will use a PW to 8i depending on the circumstances.
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

club selection from greenside bunkers Empty Re: club selection from greenside bunkers

Post by Maverick Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:31 am

Really does depend on the bunker in question, steepness of the face, lie of the ball and in somecases the actual sand.

Generally I flit between my 2 wedges, but have been known to chip out with a 7 iron on the odd occaision that suited it

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:37 am

as a junior, all our greenside bunkers were deep linksy ones, and i rarely used anything less than my 62 lob. they've recenly undergone a ridiculous downgrade and many of them are now quite shallow. makes for a more varied style of escape, however the course has been thouroughly robbed of its character. the bunkers used to be one of the best aspects of the course, now they are quite possibly the worst.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Tue 09 Aug 2011, 12:01 pm

9 times out of 10 I use the 58. If it's a shallow lip and there's plenty of green I use the 52 to get it rolling, not very often though as all the bunkers on my course are fairly deep.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 09 Aug 2011, 1:48 pm

Most of the time will use the 56, though if there isn't much sand in the bunker will sometimes use my 60, which has less bounce. If i want to get it roling will sometimes use my PW as well.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 09 Aug 2011, 7:49 pm

Generally my 56 - has bounce designed for greenside bunker shots. I'll do anything from hood the face to laying it wayyy open depending on the bunker face, lie, where I am in the bunker and the amount of green to work with.

Not averse to trying other shots though and have on occasion been know to putt it out!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 10 Aug 2011, 12:05 am

I carry 54 and 60 wedges, if it's a greenside bunker then I'll nearly always use the 60. I sometimes use the 54 if it's a 20-30 yard bunker shot but all depends on the lie, steepness of the face etc. I prefer to stick to one club as I know how it will react.

We won't mention my bunker escapades at Saunton last Sunday though...........

Whistle

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 10 Aug 2011, 6:33 am

If there is a lip on the bunker, then I will nearly always use the sand wedge, very occasionaly the 12 iron, but that has virtually no bounce, so can just dig in and go deeper!!

I am also however always looking for the possibility of putting out greenside bunkers. With the right sand and lack of lip, it is a very useful shot to have in your bag.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 10 Aug 2011, 9:19 am

oldshanker wrote:If there is a lip on the bunker, then I will nearly always use the sand wedge, very occasionaly the 12 iron, but that has virtually no bounce, so can just dig in and go deeper!!

I am also however always looking for the possibility of putting out greenside bunkers. With the right sand and lack of lip, it is a very useful shot to have in your bag.

How very true about putting out of bunkers. I remember a member at Gillingham when I was a junior used to always play with us younger lads to help us get out on the course without getting grief from the other members who thought we had no right being there.

Brian Starkey his name, infamous for using the Putter at every opportunity from off the green, he was known to never use a sand wedge always a putter out of bunkers, if he had a chip shot where he had to play over a bunker work out a line where his could either putt through the bunker or angle for the ball to be putted around it so it could break back towards the hole. If he was within 80 yards of the green he would use the texas wedge because his chipping/wedge yips were so bad. He used to hole more long putts than anyone i've seen to this day.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 10 Aug 2011, 9:41 am

oldshanker wrote:If there is a lip on the bunker, then I will nearly always use the sand wedge, very occasionaly the 12 iron, but that has virtually no bounce, so can just dig in and go deeper!!

OS, a 12 iron? I've never seen or heard referred to a 12 iron. Is it a very lofted club, basically a wedge??
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 10 Aug 2011, 5:50 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:

OS, a 12 iron? I've never seen or heard referred to a 12 iron. Is it a very lofted club, basically a wedge??

MPB - It is an old club of my fathers. Actually marked up as a 12 iron Tour wedge 58 degrees. Very thin leading edge and great for 'flop' shots. Dad used to be able to open the face, full swing, ball would go straight up in the air and he would catch it in his pocket on the way down - mind you he could do that with an 8 iron as well!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down