The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Smith, former NYG WR

+6
Grizzly
MBTGOG
asdral225
Gaelic-Warrior
GSC
uberfunction
10 posters

Go down

Steve Smith, former NYG WR Empty Steve Smith, former NYG WR

Post by uberfunction Thu 11 Aug 2011, 6:56 pm

As a Giants fan, I was pretty devastated when I heard SS12 bolted to the Philadelphia Eagles for a 1 year deal. I was actually in Philadelphia when the news broke and my stomach turned.

So while the departure is a tough loss, a lot of Giants' fans are wondering what is going on with the organization. Here are my thoughts..

I'm disappointed he left. He was the only NYG WR ever to crack 100 catches in a season. Eli has also relied on him for 3rd downs and he always delivered. But part of me also knows that SS12 suffered a pretty serious injury in that Vikings game last year and he won't even see the field till mid-season. I don't expect him to be anywhere close to 100% when he starts to play and by the time he is, his contract will be up. Another part of me thinks that the Giants knows something that we don't Is Victor Cruz the new #3 WR? He's been very impressive in camp and jerrigan, barden, thomas, reynaud and hixon are all looking to step up. Where does Smith land in the WR corp of the Eagles with Jackson, Maclin, Avant, and Cooper?

uberfunction

Back to top Go down

Steve Smith, former NYG WR Empty Re: Steve Smith, former NYG WR

Post by GSC Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:37 pm

The Eagles expect him to contribute early. The difference to me seems to be how the Eagles were far more positive about his injury
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:47 pm

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2011/8/10/2356645/giants-fans-attack-steve-smith-on-facebook

Not for the easily offended
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by uberfunction Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:55 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2011/8/10/2356645/giants-fans-attack-steve-smith-on-facebook

Yup. I know a lot of Giants fans here (I live in the NYC area) who are very upset by this. He was well loved by all Giants fans and signing with our biggest rival was a real slap in the face. I can say this with experience that once a well-loved, well-respected NY area athlete does this, he is never forgiven. As for those racist comments, those are not real Giants' fans in my eyes. I'm disappointed in his departure and I understand its a business, but I won't or will never welcome Steve Smith back to big blue. If Kevin Boss came back, I think Giants' fans will welcome him with open arms. You just never ever go to a team's most hated rival.

uberfunction

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Thu 11 Aug 2011, 8:04 pm

I'm definately not happy with Steve joining the enemy, but that kind of abuse he's been getting is disgraceful. According to the story on NFL.com Steve's agent didn't actually give the Giants the chance to better the offer put on the table by the Eagles even though he told coughlin there would be negotiation on any offers.

Tottaly agree with you uberfunction, despite where he's going, real Giants supporters wouldn't have posted those kinds of comments
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by uberfunction Thu 11 Aug 2011, 8:15 pm

Gaelic-Warrior wrote:I'm definately not happy with Steve joining the enemy, but that kind of abuse he's been getting is disgraceful. According to the story on NFL.com Steve's agent didn't actually give the Giants the chance to better the offer put on the table by the Eagles even though he told coughlin there would be negotiation on any offers.

Tottaly agree with you uberfunction, despite where he's going, real Giants supporters wouldn't have posted those kinds of comments

Yeah I don't think any fan of any team is a real fan if they resort to racist comments. That is just intolerable in my opinion. I understand that fans are passionate about their teams (I know I am) but at the end of the day, we are all fans of the same sport and should respect one another. We may playfully trash talk against one another but it should be taken in the spirit of fun.

With that said, you're right. It's seems that Smith's agent didn't really give the giants much of an opportunity to match that offer. Here's a article on Coach Coughlin's reaction.. NY Daily News

uberfunction

Back to top Go down

Post by asdral225 Thu 11 Aug 2011, 8:19 pm

My concern now is that the receiving positions are not as robust as they may have been.
Now with the loss of Smith and Boss gone the likes of Nicks, Barden, Cruz etc at WR must step up and with Travis Beckum at TE this position is light too. As you say hopefully the Giants have seen or know something.
I agree its who he's gone to that annoys me most, going to a rival like this as a nasty way of biting you in the backside
asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 11 Aug 2011, 8:27 pm

The agent has said they never promised to let the Giants match it.

And there was a feeling for Smith that Coughlin overplayed his injury to scare off other teams. The Giants had all offseason to sign him, and assumed he would wait imo.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Thu 11 Aug 2011, 8:30 pm

Tom Coughlin dosen't seem too happy about it either. The lack of signing activity is now more of a concern with this kind of thing, although in that article Jacobs and Tuck don't seem to be worried. I'm not convinced we can stay in contention with what we've got currently.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by uberfunction Thu 11 Aug 2011, 8:32 pm

asdral225 wrote:My concern now is that the receiving positions are not as robust as they may have been.
Now with the loss of Smith and Boss gone the likes of Nicks, Barden, Cruz etc at WR must step up and with Travis Beckum at TE this position is light too. As you say hopefully the Giants have seen or know something.
I agree its who he's gone to that annoys me most, going to a rival like this as a nasty way of biting you in the backside

I follow a couple beat writers for the Giants and they've been saying that it's been pretty competitive in the WR position for the Giants. Nicks, Manningham and Jernigan are locks to make the team. Hixon looks 100% and it's looking like he'll be on the roster too. Cruz has been a favorite of Offensive Coordinator Kevin Gilbride all through training camp and he's developing quite a cult status in just his second year. Can they be a slot WR like Smith. That we don't know.

Oh and another note. Undrafted free agent FB Henry Hynoski is also a training camp favorite. Teammates are saying he could develop into one of the best FBs in the league. Not only is he a better blocking FB than Madison Hedgecock, he can catch and has been knocking out defenders in training camp. The defense, as well as coaches, have been so impressed that they are all fighting over which nickname is better.. "Hynocersis" or "Hank the Tank." It'll be a complete shock if he doesn't make the team.

uberfunction

Back to top Go down

Post by uberfunction Thu 11 Aug 2011, 8:42 pm

Gaelic-Warrior wrote:Tom Coughlin dosen't seem too happy about it either. The lack of signing activity is now more of a concern with this kind of thing, although in that article Jacobs and Tuck don't seem to be worried. I'm not convinced we can stay in contention with what we've got currently.

I'm going with the wait and see approach. In some strange way, I like the fact that many writers are writing the Giants off. The giants seems confident they can impress. Although, so do the Skins. =)

In response to the commenter who said the Giants had all offseason to work a deal with Smith; the Giants as well as other NFL teams were only allowed to contact players once the lockout was over (~2 weeks ago).

uberfunction

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 11 Aug 2011, 10:04 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2011/8/10/2356645/giants-fans-attack-steve-smith-on-facebook

That is absolutely shocking stuff.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu 11 Aug 2011, 10:30 pm

Some of those comments are unreal, some made me laugh I have to admit, but they're all way overboard.
Could be a feisty week 11 game

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 11 Aug 2011, 10:36 pm

Grizzly wrote:Some of those comments are unreal, some made me laugh I have to admit, but they're all way overboard.
The first one to say "Break your leg" was funny but the rest are just a tiny bit over the top.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu 11 Aug 2011, 10:45 pm

Derbyblue wrote:
Grizzly wrote:Some of those comments are unreal, some made me laugh I have to admit, but they're all way overboard.
The first one to say "Break your leg" was funny but the rest are just a tiny bit over the top.

'F### U Man, go suck something'
Not sure why but that actually made me laugh....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by El Capitan Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:14 am

that's really poor form if those are real
Shocked

El Capitan

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:39 am

Grizzly wrote:'F### U Man, go suck something'

Obviously a typo - should have read 'ManU' instead... Whistle

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:21 am

Reminded me of watching a Jets/Pats game a few years ago, a group of Jets fans were getting more an more annoyed with Brady as he went something like 10/10 200 yards 2TD still in the 2nd quarter, and I heard one of this group shout 'F##k you Brady you f###ing f##k'
It baffled me at the time and I assumed that in the process of shouting abuse the guy just got confused and ran out of words, I think back now and it makes me laugh, which is why the comment I read on the attachment I found funny.
Maybe I'm sick.......

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:39 am

I find it quite amusing as well. At what point did that fan sit back and think "yeah, that showed him!".

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down