The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

steve smith to Oakland/SD

+5
Grizzly
arizona_tom
Derbyblue
CFCNick
Pr4wn
9 posters

Go down

steve smith to Oakland/SD Empty steve smith to Oakland/SD

Post by Guest Sun 08 May 2011, 12:02 am

I see Steve Smith has called time on his career in Carolina and requested a trade with his ideal move being to Oakland or San Diego. Just wondered what people think of where he should end up

I personally would love to see him wearing the silver and black. We're not exactly blessed in the WR dept and could hopefully pass on some teachings to jacoby Ford who had a decent breakout season last year

Back to top Go down

steve smith to Oakland/SD Empty Re: steve smith to Oakland/SD

Post by Pr4wn Sun 08 May 2011, 10:22 am

I could see him on the west coast, with San Diego being a big target. I believe he might be from there?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sun 08 May 2011, 10:55 am

According to NFL.com San Diego are monitoring him.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun 08 May 2011, 11:12 am

NFL.com says he wants to go to the Chargers, Raiders or Ravens. I would say when trades are back to being allowed then he will go, he's already cleaned out his locker and his house is up for sale, and NFL.com say they want to cut ties with him. Would be interesting to see how many people's nose's he can break at his new team.

If they were only trading picks what do you think it would take for Carolina to trade him?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by arizona_tom Sun 08 May 2011, 11:17 am

the prospect of him joining the chargers would be mouthwatering. Even as a cards fan smith is probably my favorite reciecer, i just love the way he plays. And to get great numbers with super jake throwing it to him was impressive. I think itd probably only cost a 2nd he seems to want out pretty bad

arizona_tom

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Sun 08 May 2011, 1:23 pm

I can't see him costing more than a second, possibly a 3rd and low pick, he'll be 32 next week.
He's a great receiver in a franchise where the problems just keep mounting up, not sure he's been overly in love with things for a year or two now.
Do SD need him ? Much depends on the VJax outcome, if they manage to resolve that I don't know how they can keep all their receivers happy with limited game time, they were after all #1 ranked offence last year.
I think Oakland is a better fit

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Sun 08 May 2011, 1:29 pm

The Ravens would be a good location for him with TJ Houshmandzadeh not really performing last year and looking to be on his way out he might be the replacement they are looking for. Depends how highly they rate Torrey Smith and how quickly they expect him to start.

Raiders still seems the most likely spot though.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Sun 08 May 2011, 1:41 pm

I cant see him being a Raider, does not fit their mould of tall, fast and rangy, with VJAX wanting out of the San Diego he would be a better fit, plus Rivers is a very good QB and Norv is an offence minded Head Coach.
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun 08 May 2011, 1:43 pm

The Chargers have Malcom Floyd, Vincent Jackson, Legedu Naanee and Kelley Washington all as free agents this year, depending on how the new CBA effects franchise tags Jackson may be staying or going. If he goes and they don't re-sign the others they will be left with Seyi Ajirotutu, Vincent Brown, Patrick Crayton, Buster Davis, Richard Goodman and Bryan Walters, if you take Patrick Crayton out of that list they have 64 receptions and 51 of them are Buster Davis'.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 09 May 2011, 2:09 pm

Agree with Derbyblue - Jackson is probably out of SD and that paves the way for Smith. Not to mention that the Bolts are very much a passing attack.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 12 May 2011, 10:30 am

Steve Smith has told Pro Football Weekly that he never demanded a trade but has asked to be in a competitive situation next season.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu 12 May 2011, 10:40 am

'Steve Smith has told Pro Football Weekly that he never demanded a trade but has asked to be in a competitive situation next season..'

He'll have to be traded then....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 12 May 2011, 10:47 am

That's pretty much what I was thinking Grizzly, but if they're active in Free Agency when/if it comes about then they potentially could do fairly well in comparison to last season but I don't think they'll come close to winning the division.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu 12 May 2011, 11:13 am

True Derby, but the longer this mess continues the less FA plays a part.
Remember that FA usually starts as soon as the season finishes, so the league is already 14 weeks behind and there doesn't look a solution coming any time soon.
Teams will panic and some good deals will be done, Smith might get lucky and find that the Chargers/Raiders think he is the missing link and they'll be prepared to give up a kings ransom for his services.

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 12 May 2011, 11:18 am

I think he still has a lot to offer. He was double-teamed pretty much all season last year and so he didn't see much of the ball.

He's hugely competitive and will fight to the end.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Fri 13 May 2011, 12:40 pm

Can't see how the Panthers will not be picking 1st again next year, this would be a massive blow to their already pathetic offence...

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Fri 13 May 2011, 1:09 pm

wow - true their offence is as lame as I can ever remember, but they do have a surprisingly talented defence who should keep them competitive...

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down