The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JMM vs Pacquiao - post fight, where next?

+4
Scottrf
Michaels, Sean
eddyfightfan
coxy0001
8 posters

Go down

JMM vs Pacquiao - post fight, where next? Empty JMM vs Pacquiao - post fight, where next?

Post by coxy0001 Wed 17 Aug 2011, 9:16 am

Think a question we haven't addressed regarding Pacquiao vs Marquez is where do they go next after the fight? I'm going to massively assume (and this is a given) that Pacquiao beats Marquez and probably hands out a bit of a beating in the process.

Marquez: A move back down to LW (his natural weight) to challenge Rios which would undoubtably produce fireworks? Could the old warhorse produce one last performance or have his struggles with Casa, Katsidis, Diaz and co at the weight (before turning it around in utter slugfests) going to take their toll? Rios is a monster and for me would have too much for an ageing Marquez.

Pacquiao: Wouldn't surprise me if he rematched Cotto, a fight which would reduce his credibility more than it currently is. Result wouldn't be any different. Khan won't fight him due to being too stuck up Pacquiao's arris. I'm not going to mention you know who. Heck, read somewhere that if Khan doesn't get Morales there's a chance he could fight Pacquiao again. Only credible opponent for me would be Martinez @ 154 and no lower, would be a legacy sealing fight and would arguably push him up into the op 15 ATGs if he were to win.

Such is the negative look on things, would it be time for both warriors to simply hang'em up as there's not much more for them to offer the sport?

And wow, not one mention of a fighter from pre 1950 (which the board seems to be descending into)!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

JMM vs Pacquiao - post fight, where next? Empty Re: JMM vs Pacquiao - post fight, where next?

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 17 Aug 2011, 9:21 am

i think if JMM loses badly he may well call it a day. IF ortiz beats mayweather then i think a pac man/ortiz fight would be made pretty sharpish, however think mayweather will win that one and pacquiao will probably fight someone like bradley, if he is availbile by then.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

JMM vs Pacquiao - post fight, where next? Empty Re: JMM vs Pacquiao - post fight, where next?

Post by coxy0001 Wed 17 Aug 2011, 9:24 am

Do you think Bradley would move up? He didn't seem overly keen on Khan, i know there were tanglings with his TV deal but he doesn't exactly seem to be filling the void by staying active. He's not Top Rank either which in the Bob Arum way of matchmaking pretty much rules him out..!

Not sure Marquez would call it a day, i think he's too proud'r warrior to do that. Feel Rios would start banging the drums and Marquez wouldn't be able to turn one last big superfight down at a more natural weight.

Isn't Cintron Top Rank? Can see something ridiculous like that happening for Manny.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 17 Aug 2011, 9:31 am

Khan v JMM at welter
Pacquiao v Mayweather at welter

Mayweather v Khan at welter
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 17 Aug 2011, 9:33 am

Sean

When did i mention FMJ? And why mention him in 2 of the fights?

It's pretty obvious that fight is still dead in the water hence why i didn't bother mentioning it. How about we focus on some fights that could happen yeah?

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 17 Aug 2011, 9:36 am

i think bradley did say he wanted pacquiao at one point, dont know how big a rio fight would be, sean maybe right, an aging legend is exactly what golden boy are after for khan (or so it seems) and JMM/khan at welter would be a decent but very winnable fight for khan. its pacquaio who i struggle to see his next opponent. morales would not suprise me, its a good fight on paper only and money in the bank for pacquioa and his team.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 17 Aug 2011, 9:42 am

coxy0001 wrote:Sean

When did i mention FMJ? And why mention him in 2 of the fights?

It's pretty obvious that fight is still dead in the water hence why i didn't bother mentioning it. How about we focus on some fights that could happen yeah?

Wind your neck in love. It is because you asked where they go from here? I think Pacquiao will beat JMM. Pacquiao will fight Mayweather and lose. Khan will fight JMM (as he's the legend killer), and then fight mayweather in June 2013 at Wembley.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 17 Aug 2011, 9:50 am

I was specifically asking where they both go without wanting to focus on FMJ as that fight appears dead at present - what has there been to suggest otherwise? Nowt. This isn't a "where does Manny/JMM and ooo lets put FMJ and start mentioning Khan in there" thread.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 17 Aug 2011, 9:58 am

coxy0001 wrote:I was specifically asking where they both go without wanting to focus on FMJ as that fight appears dead at present - what has there been to suggest otherwise? Nowt. This isn't a "where does Manny/JMM and ooo lets put FMJ and start mentioning Khan in there" thread.

That's my opinion of what happens in this fight, and the fights post them. Perfectly plausible and possible. More so than throwing Cintron in there. Are you sure you're not a woman?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:01 am

maybe pacquiao will go for the winner of berto zaveck, would be another title and he wouldn't be fighting mayweathers left overs for a change.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:02 am

Khan-Peterson

Mayweather-Pacquiao

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:03 am

eddyfightfan wrote:maybe pacquiao will go for the winner of berto zaveck, would be another title and he wouldn't be fighting mayweathers left overs for a change.

In terms of legacy, would a fight vs Berto be of any value? It's be Manny fighting a guy who lost to the guy FMJ just trounced.

More i think about it the more i think he'll retire.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:03 am

Scottrf wrote:Khan-Peterson

Mayweather-Pacquiao

When on gods green earth have i asked for or mentioned for options on Khan?

Last edited by coxy0001 on Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : anger)

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:06 am

no but its another world title, berto did have ortiz down twice, i dont think there are any fights left for pac man apart from khan or mayweather that would actually boost his legacy, khan wont happen and think it may well be another 12 months if ever until a mayweather fight comes off. i heard that pac man only has about 20 million in the bank, so think he will want to make a few more quid before he retires.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:08 am

eddyfightfan wrote:i heard that pac man only has about 20 million in the bank
Poor guy. Bet that wont go far in the Phillippines...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:10 am

Win or lose (I'm assuming that there'll be no draw, law of probability and all that), I'd like to see Marquez hang them up after this bout. Great fights and good wins they may have been, but his fights with Katsidis and Diaz (or at least the first one) showed that there are a lot of miles on the clock. I'd still make him the favourite against Rios, but if he were to upset the apple cart and beat Manny, he simply wouldn't need that fight, particularly considering the drop back down in weight. And if he loses, I sadly fear that it may be by a hefty margin, and hence another fight which will take a lot out of that thirty-eight year old body. This simply has to be his last fight as far as I'm concerned.

As for Pacquiao, well who knows? He'll do whatever Arum tells him, it seems. Let's be frank, there are only two fights which would mean anything for him; Martinez at 154 lb, or Mayweather at 147 lb. I'm slowly starting to believe (or at least feel more confident) that the latter one will happen, though I won't be getting my hopes up too much. If it doesn't, you can forget about Martinez, that's purely wishful thinking. And so, we'd be left with either a Cotto rematch if he gets past Margarito, or Ortiz, assuming he gets a pasting off Floyd which seems to be a prereqisite to securing a fight with Manny these days.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:24 am

coxy0001 wrote:

Mayweather-Pacquiao

You did ask 'what next?', and made no proviso for the exclusion of anyone.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:26 am

BALTIMORA wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

Mayweather-Pacquiao

I didn't ask who Khan should be fighting next, did i?

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:30 am

coxy0001 wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

Mayweather-Pacquiao

I didn't ask who Khan should be fighting next, did i?

No, I know, but he's always going to be floating around as a possibility for anyone around the weight. Just saying.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:46 am

maybe a possibility of a fight with williams? or even alverez a light middle for pacquiao. i think it depends whether he wants to line he pockets or add to his (already impressive) legacy before he retires. personally think he will fight a few times for a big as purse as possible with as little risk as possible (such a morales).

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 17 Aug 2011, 11:45 am

Has to be Mayweather/Pacqiuao, both are fighting at similair times so will be ready to face each other early next year. They should be made to do a face to face with Kellerman ASAP so we can see their thoughts and they can't go back on them.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 17 Aug 2011, 1:05 pm

Coxy is in a bit of a huff today.

As for the article.

I think Khan will fight Floyd at some point.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down