The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andre Dirrell - What Next?

+7
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Josiah Maiestas
Super D Boon
School Project
bellchees
The Galveston Giant
Valero's Conscience
11 posters

Go down

Andre Dirrell - What Next? Empty Andre Dirrell - What Next?

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 18 Aug 2011, 11:32 am

Apparently he's fighting tomorrow in Oakland, California (according to Wiki, please let me know if this is not true) against an unknown Canadian.

Do you think he can get his career on track after circa 17 months out following his DQ win against Abraham and work his way to a world title shot?

IMO I think he's mentally too weak, brilliant skills but when it gets tough he doesn't have it.

Took the easy way out against Abraham and then used the punch as an excuse to duck Ward and bow out of the Super 6.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Andre Dirrell - What Next? Empty Re: Andre Dirrell - What Next?

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 18 Aug 2011, 11:38 am

Bit of a Cat Dirrell, i don't like the way he fights at all, has it really been 17 months since he fought Abraham? thats scary.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 18 Aug 2011, 11:39 am

I don't know what to make of that punch by Abraham, I remember watching it live and think Dirrell took an easy way out and was barely hit but I'm not so sure now. I agree that Dirrell may not be tough enough to cut it at the very top level but his speed and skill will still make him a hard night work for any of the top guys out there.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 18 Aug 2011, 12:00 pm

That's the frustrating thing about Dirrell. He's got the skills to be at top level in Super Middleweight, but he lacks heart. I'm sure there's a number of boxers out there who would kill for he speed and footwork, but he can look so negative when he fights.

Shame really that we may not see him fight the likes of Bute or Kessler, as he would probably cause them a few problems.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 18 Aug 2011, 12:11 pm

There are a few possibilities for Dirrell if he gets his act together. He could probably be used by Bute as a leftovers fight, leftovers being the staple diet of Bute. He could then shock what I would call a fiarly limited Romanian but be handed an SD defeat in as he was in Nottingham.

There is also the possiblity of buling up and targteting the light heavies, with Shumenov appearing the weakest link. He should easily beat Shumenov.

I actually think he'll hang around and wait for Ward/Froch to move up to LHW and then target the vacant belts they'll leave behind.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 18 Aug 2011, 12:17 pm

He's too much of a girl when the fight gets to the nitty gritty stages and I agree he does have nice skills, he's the middleweight version of Andy Murray.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 18 Aug 2011, 12:19 pm

Dirrell is on a lot of trouble IMO.

He has lost any momentum he had in the media to create a buzz to get him a big fight however the pro's and people in boxing know how good he is and would not put their guys against him unless for top money but Dirrell cannot bring big money to the plate.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 18 Aug 2011, 12:19 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:He's too much of a girl when the fight gets to the nitty gritty stages and I agree he does have nice skills, he's the middleweight version of Andy Murray.

Very Happy

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 18 Aug 2011, 12:49 pm

Athletic and highly skilled, but weak mentally. Fought the completely wrong tactics against Froch, especially as he was fighting away because you really need to put (!) on a round to make sure its yours. When he started engaging with Froch and he was starting to get the better of the exchanges and had him in a little trouble. I think he was scared of Froch and lost that one before he stepped in the ring.

Learned from his mistake against Abraham and had the rounds in the bag from early on but as Abraham was starting to put it on him and had a little success, when the opportunity arised to cop out, he took it with both hands.

I hope he does come back soon and has ironed out his mental fragilities cos him v Dirrell would have been an interesting one.

His brother is not a bad boxer either

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 18 Aug 2011, 12:52 pm

A crack at MMA would suit him IMO, his rolling around the floor technic againt Abraham(s) was very impressive.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 18 Aug 2011, 12:53 pm

Dr Shawhigh the neurologist must have done a fantastic job.

Good to see him back in the ring. However - a whisker thin decision with Froch and a DQ over the limited Abraham is not the stuff of legends. Don't think he'd have done Ward. Probably is mentally a bit frail.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:29 pm

What's next? Obscurity hopefully. Went into the Froch fight scared witless of being hit and spent most the fight running away, hugging and rolling on the floor. Showed glimpses of potential but gave Froch's power (or rather the perceived threat of it) FAR too much respect. I suspect Dirrell may be a bit chinny, and that he also knows or suspects this.

Against Abraham he put on a good show but showed he lacks the stamina to remain elusive for the full twelve rounds. He was winning on the cards but I would not have ruled out a late stoppage for Abraham.

Prior to the Super Six he'd faced next to no-one, had been wobbled and knocked down by average opposition, and had also bored the life out of a couple of crowds.

With any luck he'll wander the wastelands of boxing limbo for a couple of years before disappearing completely.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:33 pm

I did an article on my blog about Dirrell a couple weeks ago. wwwmaineventboxing.wordpress.com

Basically he has lost all momentum he ever had, but a couple quick wins and he can give anyone trouble in the division IF he has it mentally. But 17 months is a long time for a fake head problem

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:39 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:I did an article on my blog about Dirrell a couple weeks ago. wwwmaineventboxing.wordpress.com

Basically he has lost all momentum he ever had, but a couple quick wins and he can give anyone trouble in the division IF he has it mentally. But 17 months is a long time for a fake head problem

Cheers Sean, i'll read your article after work OK

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:50 pm

Cheers Valero

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down