The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland Starting XV

+3
R!skysports
21st Century Schizoid Man
JLyall
7 posters

Go down

Scotland Starting XV Empty Scotland Starting XV

Post by JLyall Tue 23 Aug 2011, 10:45 am

Having seen the WC squad, which was pretty much as expected perhaps bar Beattie's omission, who would make your strongest starting XV?

I would go for:

15. Paterson - supremely fit, goal kicking option, great cover tackles and is still a danger in attack
14. Evans - I much prefer him at wing than centre
13. Ansbro - one of our most dangerous runners, and is a proven finisher at a high level
12. De Luca - on form and streets ahead of Morrison imo, the only problem may be his defence.
11. Lamont - great line breaking ability, if only he looked for support once he got through!
10. depends on the game plan but id probably go for jackson
9. Lawson on current form ahead of Blair and Cusiter
1. Jacobsen - better scrummager than Dickinson by far
2. Ford - needs to up his game but his physicality and scrummaging get him a start ahead of Lawson who imo is a better thrower
3. Cross again on current form
4. Hines - I rate him higher than Kellock
5. Gray - cant leave him out
6. Brown - likewise cant leave him out
7. Barclay - pushed close by Rennie but would be extremely hard not to pick him
8. Vernon - only out and out 8 in the squad, great pace and attacking ability, but needs to be more physical

subs:

Scott Lawson, Murray, Kellock, Rennie, Blair, Parks, Rory Lamont

JLyall

Back to top Go down

Scotland Starting XV Empty Re: Scotland Starting XV

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 23 Aug 2011, 11:15 am

Nope - Kellock is the team Captain so will play with Hines - Gray an excellent impact sub. Also Lawson was woeful against Ireland so Cusiter must start with either Lawson or Blair on the bench - Laidlaw really unlucky.
Think Ansbro and De Luca are competing for the o/c place with Morrison at i/c -we will need Morrison esp. v the English with their crash, bang, wallop centres. Stroker at 6 with Brown playing No8 - we will need his all action style and big hits v Argies and English - Vernon really lucky to be going. Braveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 23 Aug 2011, 11:44 am

13. Ansbro - one of our most dangerous runners, and is a proven finisher at a high level
12. De Luca - on form and streets ahead of Morrison imo, the only problem may be his defence.

No, no, no - both have terrible defensive lapses and would cause us all sorts of trouble

Morrison at 12, Ansbro at 13 for me

Blair actually played quite well against Italy, him start, Cusiter on bench

Hines and Kellock in the second row

So for me

15. Paterson -
14. Evans -
13. Ansbro -
12. Morrison -.
11. Lamont -
!
10. jackson
9. Blair
1. Jacobsen -
2. Ford -
3. Cross
4. Hines
5. Kellock
6. Brown
7. Barclay
8. Vernon

subs:

Scott Lawson, Murray, Gray, Rennie, Cusiter, Parks, Rory Lamont.

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 23 Aug 2011, 2:34 pm

I think the strongest XV I would pick for a knock-out game, assuming it isn't on a Sunday, is as follows:

1.Jacobsen 2.Ford 3.Cross

16.Murray 17.S Lawson

Pretty straightforward really and picks itself.

4.Hines 5.Gray

18.Kellock

Obviously not what AR has in mind, but to me this combines our best two locks in combination, and best suits the faster paced offloading game we are trying to play.

6.Brown 7.Barclay 8.Vernon

19.Strokosch

Our best two and most consistent flankers, and the pacy Vernon again to suit our intended style of play. Brown's versatility means Strokosch is the best substitute for cover purposes, and he's also playing pretty well at the moment.

9.Cusiter 10.Jackson

20.Blair 21.Parks

Again I find this a pretty easy choice assuming Cusiter is fit. He's our best 9, and Jackson is essential to the style of play we're trying to adopt. Parks gives us a natural plan B (and he played well against Italy I thought), and Blair edges Rory Lawson based on the performances in the warm-up matches. I also think Blair and Parks is the combination best suited to finishing off a close game.

12.Morrison 13.Ansbro

22.NDL

Slightly tougher this one. Morrison is obviously a key man to AR and he runs the defence. He also provides a target for the forwards and with Barclay, Vernon and Sean Lamont following the ball, he'll be looking to try to offload whereever possible. Ansbro vs. NDL is difficult. NDL played well in both the warm-up games, but then again Ansbro has never let us down, and is a good balanced runner to have in the backs. I've stated my preference, but I could live with the decision being reversed.

11.S Lamont 14.M Evans 15.CP

CP has to play if Jackson is at 10, no brainer. S Lamont is our most potent attacking winger and has the role of picking lines from his wing, which is his best position. Evans gives us the pace and step to take advantage of one on ones, and has the eye for the try line. The key for Evans is not to get too isolated and run away from his support. Vernon's pace is going to be important here. When Evans darts off on a run, Vernon has to make sure he's with him in support, and the scrum half needs to also be there to ship the ball quickly. Argentina will be a menace at the breakdown, and when we're short of numbers, our 9 needs to shift the ball quickly.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by JLyall Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:46 pm

21st century - I appreciate what youre saying re Kellock, but im asking what your team would be, not who you think AR will play. Obviously it is highly unlikely that Robinson will leave out his captain, nor that Gray won't start.

Risky sports - I can't recall Ansbro having a terrible defensive lapse? De Luca has his moments its fair to say, but I don't really rate Morrison. I do agree, however with those who say we will need his size to add a bit of oomph and solidity to the backline considering the teams we're playing.

For me, he does a job, but all too often fails to make ground, and really doesn't make the most of a 6 foot 3 frame. He also doesn't seem to have the necessary distribution for a top quality 12. It seems Robinson rates him though, and that NDL/Ansbro are competing to play outside him.

JLyall

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 24 Aug 2011, 9:16 am

JLyall wrote:Risky sports - I can't recall Ansbro having a terrible defensive lapse? De Luca has his moments its fair to say, but I don't really rate Morrison. I do agree, however with those who say we will need his size to add a bit of oomph and solidity to the backline considering the teams we're playing.

I sometimes feel that Ansbro looks a little lost in defense. Saw it a few times when playing for Saints as well as Scotland. Very good runner, sometimes a little headless chicken in defense. Experience will bring that, but I would worry pairing him with another 'headless at times' player such as de Luca

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 25 Aug 2011, 1:46 pm

I'd be tempted to play the following in one of the openers:

1. Jacobsen
2. Ford
3. Cross
4, Hines
5. Hamilton
6. Brown
7. Rennie
8. Vernon

9. Cusiter
10.Jackson
11. Ansbro
12. Morrison
13. De Luca
14. Evans
15. Paterson

Offers a great running threat (and decent hands) in the backs. I'd even be tempted to take Morrison off, put Sean on and either shift De Luca to 12 and Ansbro to 13; or play Sean at 12.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 25 Aug 2011, 1:56 pm

I'd say that side is suited to the Georgia game, where a lock combination of Hamilton and Hines would counter their pack power.

I agree that there's a case for NDL at 13 and Ansbro on the wing. I'd have no issue with seeing that combination, particularly as Danielli is firmly in my bad books after the weekend.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 26 Aug 2011, 6:08 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I think the strongest XV I would pick for a knock-out game, assuming it isn't on a Sunday, is as follows:

1.Jacobsen 2.Ford 3.Cross

16.Murray 17.S Lawson

Pretty straightforward really and picks itself.

4.Hines 5.Gray

18.Kellock

Obviously not what AR has in mind, but to me this combines our best two locks in combination, and best suits the faster paced offloading game we are trying to play.

6.Brown 7.Barclay 8.Vernon

19.Strokosch

Our best two and most consistent flankers, and the pacy Vernon again to suit our intended style of play. Brown's versatility means Strokosch is the best substitute for cover purposes, and he's also playing pretty well at the moment.

9.Cusiter 10.Jackson

20.Blair 21.Parks

Again I find this a pretty easy choice assuming Cusiter is fit. He's our best 9, and Jackson is essential to the style of play we're trying to adopt. Parks gives us a natural plan B (and he played well against Italy I thought), and Blair edges Rory Lawson based on the performances in the warm-up matches. I also think Blair and Parks is the combination best suited to finishing off a close game.

Erm

Excuse me, but what have you done with FES?

You can't fool us. He would NEVER have picked Jackson over Parks...
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Fri 26 Aug 2011, 6:31 pm

"11. Lamont - great line breaking ability, if only he looked for support once he got through!"

He didn't score as many tries as the other backs at the Scarlets but I do remember him setting up a fair few! Perhaps this comment isn't true.

I'd go for Jackson to start aswell. Parks isn't the best right now, but if Scotland are on the front foot he'd know how to close the game out. Scotland to come 2nd in the pool, but I might change that to 1st depending on how England play on the weekend.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 27 Aug 2011, 8:42 am

Thanks nottins_jones - hope you are correct ! Th team must not regard the England match as the be all and end all. This is despite AR having a rather large score to settle with the gnobs at the ERU !

Good luck to Wales also. They have a tough group. Braveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down