The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is the most famous person on the honours board at your club?

+20
Hibbz
Humpyd
BlueCoverman
TM2K
Maverick
hend085
JAS
Baggiesfan_golfer
super_realist
goodwalkspoiled
No1canuck
Doon the Water
George1507
navyblueshorts
drive4show
SmithersJones
barragan
oldparwin
dynamark
Rossa
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who is the most famous person on the honours board at your club? Empty Who is the most famous person on the honours board at your club?

Post by Rossa Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:23 pm

Can be a golfer or general celebrity....

Michael Lunt is the most famous at my club, not a household name but seems he was decent player in his day, before my time though...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article1900950.ece
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Who is the most famous person on the honours board at your club? Empty Re: Who is the most famous person on the honours board at your club?

Post by dynamark Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:28 pm

Good point Rossa I always look down the boards at clubs I visit.Our place is just 20 yrs old and there is noone of note-yet

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Who is the most famous person on the honours board at your club? Empty Re: Who is the most famous person on the honours board at your club?

Post by oldparwin Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:33 pm

I played a course on one of our society days (cant remember the name of it)
and the honours board was full of Woosnam, but not just Ian, think his mum dad and brothers had their names on the board as well, in fact each honour board was just full of the name Woosnam

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:36 pm

ronnie shade

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:42 pm

Not sure if his name is on our honours boards but snooker player Stuart Bingham is a member at our club. Never played with him but he's off 6 and apparently always hits his driver off the deck, even teeing off.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:44 pm

oldparwin wrote:I played a course on one of our society days (cant remember the name of it)
and the honours board was full of Woosnam, but not just Ian, think his mum dad and brothers had their names on the board as well, in fact each honour board was just full of the name Woosnam

Llanymynech Golf Club? I think that's where he learnt the game, on the Shropshire/Powys border...
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:46 pm

Lee James, British amateur champion in the 90's. Played a practice round for the Masters with Sir Nick and Tigger.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:49 pm

Asif Din - Ex-Warwickshire batsman plays at my Club as well, nice fella, not sure he's won owt though...at golf that is, he won a few bits at Warwickshire...
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:57 pm

Cheers Rossa OK

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:11 pm

Good thread! I'm up at ours after work tomorrow so I'll have to have a look and report back.

Don't know if he's on an Honours board but Des Walker (as in "You'll never beat Des Walker!") is a member; seems like a nice guy. Thought he'd be taller somehow in real life.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 6:12 pm

Peter Townsend, Ken Brown, Sandy Lyle, David Gilford, Peter Baker, Justin Rose, Stiggy Hodgson and Tom Lewis are among the winners of the Carris Trophy, at its traditional home venue at Moor Park. So all on the honours board there.

There are some famous people on the boards there, but not particularly famous for their golf.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 23 Aug 2011, 6:44 pm

Rossa
Michael Lunt was indeed a very good player. I watched him on a few occasions in the 1960's. That was in a tough era with Shade, Bonallack, Oosterhuis, Townsend, Cole and Carr as regular opponents.

My club [and Jas.] David Howell, Gary Harris and Vicki Hanks..

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by No1canuck Tue 23 Aug 2011, 7:30 pm

Me

No1canuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 23 Aug 2011, 7:39 pm

Yea........... wondered who would be first('🐑')

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by No1canuck Tue 23 Aug 2011, 7:42 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Yea........... wondered who would be first('🐑')
Sorry,couldn't resist

No1canuck

Back to top Go down

Post by goodwalkspoiled Tue 23 Aug 2011, 8:48 pm

Ban Bam

That will be Duddingston, right ? RDBM Shade [or as his nickname was "Right Down the Bloody Middle" Shade]. What a player........
OK
goodwalkspoiled
goodwalkspoiled

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:05 pm

Bam ban

I played behind RDBM in his first Pro competition at Gleneagles.
Circa 1967.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:09 pm

Jack Nicklaus is on the honorary members board at my club although every sycophantic and bumlicking club in the land has probably offered him the same

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Baggiesfan_golfer Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:38 pm

Paul Broadhurst and Steve Webster most well known from one of my clubs, Paul especially really nice man always visits every week or so

Ron Hiatt (amateur champion) but that's going way back!!

Baggiesfan_golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 24 Aug 2011, 8:34 am

Doon stole my thunder.... Quite proud to have Howeller there (I'd like to say I had my name on the same trophies as him but the 2 biggies I've won were the handicap singles (which he never won) and the er...David Howell Classic.
As Doon will also no doubt confirm, Gary Harris was considered equally as good if not better by some.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 24 Aug 2011, 9:19 am

Jas
Well done, that handicap cup must be one of the hardest cups to win in the UK.
In my time you had to play about eight matches to reach the final and it took most of the year to play.
I lost 2/1 in the final once after losing the first 4 holes to a guy you might know Alfie N-T.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Wed 24 Aug 2011, 9:28 am

Philip Walton

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 24 Aug 2011, 9:30 am

yup duddingston. though i'm a relatively new member, fairly young and not originally from edinburgh so i'd never come across the name before joining. they've a list of his achievements up in the dining room - its quite a record.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed 24 Aug 2011, 9:36 am

Ronnie Shade was a marvellous player. Just about the only Amateur title he didn't win was the British Amateur, he lost in the final to Bobby Cole at Carnoustie.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 24 Aug 2011, 9:48 am

Paul Way, Peter Baker, Roger Chapman all former ET players, and Ryder cuppers (not sure if chapman played RC though)

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 24 Aug 2011, 10:03 am

Cheers Doon, I've actually won it twice (2007 & 2009). Both required 7 matches although I did get a bye in an early round in '09. beat big Tom R 2&1 in the final in '07 shooting a gross 74. In 09 i had 3 dog licenses on the way to the final which turned out a much tighter affair, we were all square up the last and both had a 5-6 footer which I canned and my opponent didn't.

Speaking to MM on the range the other day he says he never won many hcp events because his handicap came down so quickly before he knew where he was he was having to shoot 63/64 to compete. I guess David was similar. They've certainly won more scratch events though.

Oh and also, we forgot Montys former caddy and now Mr Molinaris bag man...Mr Hempleman.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by TM2K Wed 24 Aug 2011, 10:58 am

Not famous for his golf but Jimmy Tarbuck is on a few and have had four professionals to go on to become Open champion.

Winston Churchill was an early member of the club too!

TM2K

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:16 am

I'll add another to the list... JRR Tolkien's Uncle was a founder member of my golf club, i'm sure he's on a few boards, bit tenuous i know....
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:24 am

Pat McSweeney who caddied for Paul Curry on the European Tour in the 90's and was on the bag when Paul won the Jersey Open... Laugh

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Humpyd Wed 24 Aug 2011, 12:12 pm

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Goldwolf after his triumph last weekend.

Well, he's famous to us 606ers! Yahoo

Humpyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 24 Aug 2011, 12:59 pm

TM2K

Coombe Hill ?

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by TM2K Wed 24 Aug 2011, 1:03 pm

Doon the Water wrote:TM2K

Coombe Hill ?

Yep that's the one. Have you played it?

TM2K

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 24 Aug 2011, 1:11 pm

TM2K wrote:Not famous for his golf but Jimmy Tarbuck is on a few and have had four professionals to go on to become Open champion.

Winston Churchill was an early member of the club too!

Surely that must be a record, 4 Open champnio's? (not a typo, any Steve Wright in the afternoon fans out there?? Very Happy )

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 24 Aug 2011, 3:41 pm

I would imagine St Andrews & perhaps Old Prestwick would maybe have more but that would be about it.

So whereabouts is Coombe Hill then??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by TM2K Wed 24 Aug 2011, 4:10 pm

JAS wrote:I would imagine St Andrews & perhaps Old Prestwick would maybe have more but that would be about it.

Coombe Hill is just outside of London in Kingston, Surrey. Has quite a bit of history and is not really that well known. I am a bit biased but really think it is on a par with some of the other Surrey courses that are rated highly such West Hill, Worplesdon (same architect as Coombe) and Woking. Have a look at website for some of the history of the club, makes quite an interesting read.

http://www.coombehillgolfclub.com/

TM2K

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 24 Aug 2011, 4:19 pm

TM2K wrote:
JAS wrote:I would imagine St Andrews & perhaps Old Prestwick would maybe have more but that would be about it.

Coombe Hill is just outside of London in Kingston, Surrey. Has quite a bit of history and is not really that well known. I am a bit biased but really think it is on a par with some of the other Surrey courses that are rated highly such West Hill, Worplesdon (same architect as Coombe) and Woking. Have a look at website for some of the history of the club, makes quite an interesting read.

http://www.coombehillgolfclub.com/

I'd always thought Coombe Hill was very exclusive in the bad sense of the word so I was surprised when I read on the website that although at £90 it's quite expensive it is permissable for visitors to play. Pretty sure that's no more or little more expensive than the three W's you've mentioned.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by TM2K Wed 24 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm

It does have that sort of reputation but not actually sure where it came from. Admittidly, I haven't been a member that long but it's a really welcoming and laid back club.

I think these days most clubs are more welcoming towards visitors then they used to be as they need the income.

TM2K

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 24 Aug 2011, 4:36 pm

TM2K wrote:It does have that sort of reputation but not actually sure where it came from. Admittidly, I haven't been a member that long but it's a really welcoming and laid back club.

I think these days most clubs are more welcoming towards visitors then they used to be as they need the income.

Yes very true and good news for us golfers. Actually I think the reputation came about for rather unpleasant and bigotted reasons. I'm only a (relatively) young man and when I was growing up it was always said that it was a "Jewish" club and non jews weren't welcome. Isn't it vile how a reputation can stick like that and I have to confess I'm a little ashamed that I've never questioned it even in my own head.

Sorry for the off topic.

Not sure I can think of anyone famous on our boards. Oh yes I can. Alf Perry. Think he won the open many, many years ago.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by TM2K Wed 24 Aug 2011, 4:57 pm

Apologies for going off piste also.

It is a Jewish club but not a closed shop like many of the other clubs of that ilk. In fact, the percentage of Jewish members is less than 50% these days and although proud of the clubs history, realise that it needed to be opened up to continue to prosper. If you are local I would definitely recommend paying it a visit, you won't be disappointed.

TM2K

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 24 Aug 2011, 7:04 pm

Hibz....... 1953 Muirfield.
He was back at his club on the following day giving lessons.
Really nice old gentleman when I met him at Leatherhead, but I think he was originally Yorks/Lancs.

TM2K
Played most of the good Surrey courses exept Wentworth and Coombe Hill. Not posh enough for them.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Wed 24 Aug 2011, 7:09 pm

Baggies fan

Played Atherstone about 15 years ago, and Paul Broadhurst was the local Pro, sat in the bar and had a few beers with him really nice chap

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Thu 25 Aug 2011, 7:48 am

Doon the Water wrote:Hibz....... 1953 Muirfield.
He was back at his club on the following day giving lessons.
Really nice old gentleman when I met him at Leatherhead, but I think he was originally Yorks/Lancs.

TM2K
Played most of the good Surrey courses exept Wentworth and Coombe Hill. Not posh enough for them.

Ah thank you. New it was many, many years ago though I think our comittee wouldn't be happy I didn't know considering his picture is plastered all over the place and we play an important (to us) competition named after him. It's good that he was a good guy too.

Does someone called Ron Probert mean anything too you? The Club Open (being played tomorrow) is named after him and there is a members comp named after him too.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 25 Aug 2011, 8:49 am

Hibz..sorry never heard of him.
Is your club Leatherhead?

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Thu 25 Aug 2011, 8:54 am

Doon the Water wrote:Hibz..sorry never heard of him.
Is your club Leatherhead?

Yes indeedy.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 25 Aug 2011, 9:12 am

Hibz
Fond memories of Leatherhead.
I played my first competition there after I moved south.
The Surrey Open, played behind Neil Coles [Coombe Hill]. I played well, even got an eagle at the first par 5. I was was heading for a top ten finish until I finished 55555.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 25 Aug 2011, 9:14 am

Atherstone had another weel knownmay have been Dave Thomas I think.
Sat next to the honours board at melton Mowbray Gc last night and the mixed trophy was won in 1960 by Mr H Bush and Mrs H Beaver-honest

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by TM2K Thu 25 Aug 2011, 9:37 am

Hibbz...how long have you played at Leatherhead?

TM2K

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Thu 25 Aug 2011, 9:42 am

Doon the Water wrote:Hibz
Fond memories of Leatherhead.
I played my first competition there after I moved south.
The Surrey Open, played behind Neil Coles [Coombe Hill]. I played well, even got an eagle at the first par 5. I was was heading for a top ten finish until I finished 55555.

Was that before or after the M25 took it's toll on the course? I've only ever known it after.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Thu 25 Aug 2011, 9:43 am

TM2K wrote:Hibbz...how long have you played at Leatherhead?

Joined the year after the centenary so that makes it 2004 I believe.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by TM2K Thu 25 Aug 2011, 9:54 am

Hibbz wrote:
TM2K wrote:Hibbz...how long have you played at Leatherhead?

Joined the year after the centenary so that makes it 2004 I believe.

I see, I played my first ever year as a golfer at Leatherhead many moons ago. Around 1990 I think.

How is the course? In good shape?

TM2K

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next