The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Cork Manager?

+3
Thomond
RebelBhoy
Irish Curry
7 posters

Go down

New Cork Manager? Empty New Cork Manager?

Post by Irish Curry Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:49 pm

http://www.newstalk.ie/2011/sport/jbm-being-linked-with-cork-job/[/url]

Anyone think theres any truth in that or is it just someone trying to make a story out of nothing?

Would he be a good manager at this time for cork or would someone else be a better option?

Last edited by Irish Curry on Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Double typo)
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

New Cork Manager? Empty Re: New Cork Manager?

Post by RebelBhoy Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:12 pm

Bloomin eck....JBM brought an unfancied team of kids to the top of the tree in 99.

Oh for a turnaround like that
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:37 pm

Well Walsh was bringing through a few young players so here's hoping!
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:00 pm

Yeah I suppose. My tune is changing now the axe has fallen.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:23 pm

JBM with Tomas Mull as his number 2 is doing the rounds,would be a promising enough setup.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:31 pm

Promising yes but if he will actually be apointed is another matter Rolling Eyes
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:08 pm

JBM is ideal for the job but only if he takes the job for more than a year or two. He doesn't tend to hang around for too long, successful or no. Cork, along with Clare, Offaly, Wexford and Limerick need stability and and and planning more than anything righ now

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:47 pm

http://www.gaacork.ie/taggedNews/630...alsh_statement

Statement from Denis Walsh Regarding Cork Hurling Manager Position.

I met with the Cork County Board Chairman and the Vice Chairman on Monday evening at their request.

They immediately indicated that I was not going to be considered for re-appointment, and in the best interest of Cork Hurling in general, I accepted that democratic decision.

I am extremely grateful to the three-man committee (Jimmy Barry Murphy, Denis Coughlan and John Fenton) who placed their trust in me back in April 2009. I am satisfied that in Cork's hurling greatest hour of need I showed the necessary ‘bottle' by accepting the position as Manager.

I would like to thank my selectors, Pa Finn, Pat Buckley and Jerry Ryan and their respective families for their support and commitment over the past two years.

I salute every member of the coaching and backroom staff for their enormous effort and commitment in that time.

I'd like to thank all the various clubs in Cork who gave the use of their facilities and gave exceptional co-operation with access to their players.

Finally, to the players who have displayed a great appreciation of exactly what is required to compete and win at the highest level, my belief in their ability to turn the corner over the next 2 to 3 years is unwavering.

I take full responsibility for the results of last 2 years. Cork remained competitive and produced several decent displays while at the same time introducing many new players. The manner of our exit from the 2010 and 2011 Championships were un-acceptable and I apologise to all Cork Supports for that fact. In the words of the American writer Benjamin Graham ‘You're neither right nor wrong because other people agree with you. You're right because your facts are right and your reasoning is right - and that's the only thing that makes you right. And if your facts and reasoning are right, you don't have to worry about anybody else.' Hence, I stand over every single decision that was made during that period.

As a player and as a Coach I have always given un-conditional commitment to Cork Hurling and Football and that shall continue into the future.

I'd take this opportunity to thank my wife Rena and my family for their patience and support over the last few years.

Yours in Sport

Denis Walsh.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:24 pm

In fairness to Walsh he wasn't a bad coach but wasn't brilliant either and I suspect he knew going into the job that he would have a hard time. Will never forget that win over Tipp *sigh*
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:48 pm

some shocking calls on the line at times, so he and his selectors made some massive errors and that has to stand against him.

He is right about taking the job at such a tough time though. The waters are still choppy but it can't have been easy
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:18 am

Judging from these posts you would think that Cork hurling was finished and never more to be. Get a grip guys, it's a bad patch only. There's talent coming through - look at your under 21s.

I think what any new Cork manager needs to do is to clear out those that were involved in the strikes regardless of how well they are playing. Harsh I know, given their service but some of the players who played for Cork during the last strike are now playing with the players that striked. Past tensions have not been forgotten by the players. There are bad vibes and tension in this current team. You can get it from their body language even on tv. The strikes were never worth the damage to Cork hurling. Their dressing room cannot be the happiest of places. So drop those involved in the strikes, it's a new era, onwards and upwards and all that.

No hurling fan likes to see any other county struggle this badly. Most Tipp fans would love Cork and the rest to be back at their best. Imaging the current Tipp team playing Corks 04/05 squad.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:23 am

We have talent and always will,it's the most popular sport in Cork. My gripe was with how the County board have manged the talent which has been pretty awful. Also Ronan Curran retired yesterday one of the best centre backs in the country in his prime. Surprised he retired he is only 30.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:51 am

Your county board was always a problem but you have always managed to get on with it or get around them. It's the legacy of the strikes, especially the last strike that is crippling you. The bitterness is palpable and this is inescapable. Its needs to be dealt with and that why the next manager is so important. He needs to be given time and more importantly, his decisions must not be constantly be called into question. Otherwise you run the risk of wasting the talent, (and there is plenty of talent), of a generation of players. With the right man this could be turned around in a couple of years. Maybe Ronan Curran knows this and was man enough to step aside.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:06 am

I don't think it's as big a problem as your making it to be. Our lack or a decent underage structure compared to the likes of Tipp,Dublin and KK is one of the reasons we have fallen behind. I'm finding it diffcult to find the teams we fielded around the time of our last strike but I think the only one who is still playing is Lorcan McLoughlin. I'm pretty sure I'm wrong though.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:29 pm

the spectre of Ray Ryan hangs over the panel......
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:33 pm

That poor guy, talk about been caught between a rock and a hard place.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:22 pm

bluemoda wrote:That poor guy, talk about been caught between a rock and a hard place.

What's the story with Ray Ryan???

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:07 pm

Ray Ryan played his club hurling with Glanmire. He was never an inter-county player and was chosen as captain when the Cork team were on strike in 2008. I think Donal O'Grady was appointed as an emergency manager so Cork could put out a team for the league. Ray Ryan about 27/28 at the time and this really put him in a difficult position, the chance to play for and captain Cork or refuse and back the strike. He chose to play and a lot of people, fans and players alike, referred to him at "captain scab". Rebel probably enlighten you more on this.

As I live in Cork, I heard a lot of rumours at the time and a lot of clubs and club players were angry at the treatment of the players who opted to play for Cork during the strike, most of whom would probably never have played inter-county otherwise.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:19 pm

Still being on the panel but being nowhere near IC standard but he had to be kept around as a nod to the 'development team' because he was captain. He made big noises about ending the strike and welcoming back the strikers. I imagine the first night back at training was more than a little awkward.

Any criticism (or praise) levelled at him after that has always been tempered by his position at strike time. It is a little unfair on him.

For example, my first paragraph is extremely prejudiced. I don't think he is good but I don't know if I was being overly critical because of him taking the number 7 jersey during the strike, or whether after the strike he came on as a sub for a vastly superior player. His game time this year (none) in the year the Sean Og has gone makes me think even harder about his purpose. It isn't fair, but I can't help it.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:33 pm

Players who played and players who striked, a festering sore. Drop the striking players and go with the younger players particularly those who had nothing to do with any of it. Clean sheet.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:53 pm

John Considine was the manger who took charge briefly.

The players aren't the problem. It is the county board. The clean sheet would get dirty very fast with their paws all over it. They are not and have not given Cork the best chance of success. That is what the strike was about and the players who took part in that strike were never under any illusions that they are entitled to the jersey. The majority of those lads remain in the best 15 in the county and should be treated as such.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:44 pm

Then get rid of the county board, or are they an immovable force? Jesus, cork people have been going on about the board for years, yet no one can tell me why they have such a problem with board.

I though the third strike was to get rid of their manager, not deemed good enough for them, good enough for waterford but not cork.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:15 pm

Well we are called the Rebel County bluemoda Whistle
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:41 pm

I wouldn't have any sympathy for Ray Ryan. This is an amateur sport and he didn't HAVE to play and captain the team if he didn't want to and he didn't HAVE to remain in the panel if he didn't want to.......................

Would Cork be better served by a manager from outside the county??

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:47 pm

I for one would love to have Davy Fitz on board......

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:55 pm

[quote="Thomond"]I for one would love to have Davy Fitz on board......[/quote]

Now that you meantion it that mightn't be so bad...
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:09 pm

Brian Corcoran,Tom Cashman also rumoured to be getting involved with JBM possibly Sean Óg too.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:14 pm

Sean Og?? Where did you hear that out of interess?
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:18 pm

bluemoda wrote:Then get rid of the county board, or are they an immovable force? Jesus, cork people have been going on about the board for years, yet no one can tell me why they have such a problem with board.

I though the third strike was to get rid of their manager, not deemed good enough for them, good enough for waterford but not cork.

The strike was about the managers term in charge being a complete disaster AND the process by which he was reappointed (the CB did not adhere to the principles agreed after the previous strikes). The players were proven right in the 2 previous strikes and shown up the CB massively. It was nothing short of vindictiveness on their part. The players did the spade work and handed control over to the clubs and yet again, despite making the right noises, no real change was affected.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:20 pm

John Cregan wrote:I wouldn't have any sympathy for Ray Ryan. This is an amateur sport and he didn't HAVE to play and captain the team if he didn't want to and he didn't HAVE to remain in the panel if he didn't want to.......................

Would Cork be better served by a manager from outside the county??

I only have sympathy insofar as judgement of him as a player shall forever be clouded.

Nobody from outside the county would tolerate the CCB.

I heard the same thing about Sean Og. Just from rumours after someone spotted himself and JBM having lunch.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:28 am

Its been confirmed that JBM has been recommended with his appointment subject to ratification at Cork's next meeting on September 6th.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/0825/cork_barrymurphyj.html
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by akaredtop Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:51 am

JBM will be safe until Sean Og is dropped and then there will be another strike.

akaredtop

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:47 am

Seems they had him in mind for the job before they got rid of Walsh juging by how quickly he has become the front runner.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:44 pm

Irish Curry wrote:Well we are called the Rebel County bluemoda New Cork Manager? 590675

yea, rebelling against yourselves.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down