The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kerry STILL have Cork in Psychological armlock!?

+9
John Cregan
Thomond
akaredtop
patrick91
Tayto
RebelBhoy
Cari
Ar aghaidh le cheile
Hartley
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Kerry STILL have Cork in Psychological armlock!? Empty Kerry STILL have Cork in Psychological armlock!?

Post by Hartley Tue 05 Jul 2011, 3:57 pm

DISCUSS!

I couldn't see Cork trouncing Kerry the way Down did last year at Croke Park.

I think northern teams are unafraid of Kerry but I think teams like Dublin and Cork especially still are.

Hartley

Back to top Go down

Kerry STILL have Cork in Psychological armlock!? Empty Re: Kerry STILL have Cork in Psychological armlock!?

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Tue 05 Jul 2011, 7:06 pm

Its not a simple issue perhaps the provincial rivalry breeds a strange handicap.
In terms of Northern teams having the sign over Kerry it is the exception rather than the rule.
Tyrone have been a great team over the last ten years and were Kerry equal. Armagh beat Kerry in one final and Down have never lost a championship game to Kerry. Down unbeaten run only goes to 4 or 5 games since the 1960's.
Vunerability to Northern teams is a myth.

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Kerry STILL have Cork in Psychological armlock!? Empty Re: Kerry STILL have Cork in Psychological armlock!?

Post by Cari Tue 05 Jul 2011, 8:51 pm

There could be something psychological in it...a bit like the hurlers with Kilkenny perhaps? However, if it is just a psychological barrier, any team can overcome that by playing well and beating them!

Speaking of Kerry - isn't Galvin looking rough these days? I thought he'd become a fashion model. Looked more like a vagrant the other day.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:19 pm

we have smashed kerry in the recent past and it has amounted to little more than a hill of beans. They know that and we know that. we messed about on sunday and it turned out to be ill advised. kerry know the course better than anyone and we just found out how to navigate it. i don't think there is much in it. same for Kerry and Tyrone. there is no fear there, nor should there be.

The problem we have now is that our much vaunted panel is looking a bit thin with 2 big players out for the year. That is more concerning than anything else at the moment.

I don't fear anyone and I doubt Kerry do either. You have faith in your ability. Right now, all i am worried about is saturday evening in the small ball where I am worried.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:37 pm

Rebel
Was there much talk about Donaghy kick or the Gooch choke hold?

In terms of consistency the only difference between the Cavan man sending off and Donaghy was about three foot of fresh air.

Gooch got a yellow the same as the Donegal man who engaged in a standing up choke hold

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:55 pm

Only by me.

Donaghy got the sunday game treatment but cooper never. They have gotten away with more against us in previous years and it had a bearing on the result. I don't feel particularly hard done by as I don't think it changed much where it has in the past.

That is Kerry. They get off with stuff that others don't.

Sheehan pressured the asthmatic and he jumped on the floor and got a free with Sheehan through on goal and Kerrigan done for steps..... little breaks like that always seem to go their way.

There is consistency in Kerry games....always has been.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Tue 05 Jul 2011, 10:04 pm

Donaghy is a genuine player. Never had much time for Gooch, yes he has the skill but has got away with a lot of niggle over the years. In my view he is in the same vein as Peter Canavan a man who was not adverse to gamesmanship of the highest order.

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Tue 05 Jul 2011, 10:11 pm

Donaghy has his moments too but he isn't in the same bracket as cooper when it comes to reffing games. His ability gets him off a lot of times.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Wed 06 Jul 2011, 6:49 am

just listened to the newstalk off the ball roadshow podcast from kerry. the amount of cute hoorism was unreal. If there is any doubt over Donaghy's behaviour, you should have a listen to this.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tayto Wed 06 Jul 2011, 10:25 am

Ah lads,

I was wondering how long it would take for the unfairness lark to pop up.

Cork were beaten fair and square by Kerry last Sunday.
All this old rubbish about Donaghy and Cooper is just ridiculous.
Having been at the game and seen what O Leary got up to in the build up to his run in with Donaghy (lets just say he got what he deserved) and I'm a Corkman.
We have our fair share of merchants that like the hard stuff as well so it all gets a bit childish when we moan about others.

To say that referees are biased towards certain teams is also rubbish.

I'm hopeful that we can get our All Ireland campaign back on track and would love to meet the old foe in September.
I reckon we would have a great chance of overturning last Sunday's defeat but if we didn't I certainly would not complain about referees and opposition players.

Tayto

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Wed 06 Jul 2011, 10:51 am

Tayto
I'm not saying certain teams but I do think Gooch gets way with more than his fair share. The draw for rounds 3 and 4 of the qualifiers are on Sunday and given the likely outcomes this weekend the survivors of rounds 3 will have had some tough contests before round 4 when Cork come back in?.

Never mind the game, how could a proud Cork man name himself after a crisp founded in Meath and the ge old question Southern Tayto cheese and onion or there much better Northern counterpart.

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:13 pm

I was asked the question.

I didn't put the defeat down to poor officiating. I thought kerry deserved their win.

I am not saying refs are deliberately biased, but the result of their star gazing results in decisions favouring Kerry.

Refs should officiate, not Colm Cooper.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by patrick91 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 4:58 pm

and gooch says losing to tyrone 3 times dosent mater to him getting one over the rebels means more than a victory over tyrone talk about complete ballix. laughing

patrick91
patrick91

Back to top Go down

Post by akaredtop Thu 07 Jul 2011, 11:11 am

Ah lads stop! This is a bit pathetic. Even when Kerry beat ye by 1 point or 20 points ye blame the ref. How come it is always the ref's fault. Maybe it is the Cork manager's fault? Maybe it is the Cork footballer's bottle? I think it is the latter myself as ye seem to lose the psychological battles fairly often against most teams. (Remember Meath)

akaredtop

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 07 Jul 2011, 11:19 am

Yes it's true Kerry have the upper hand on us. We have the ability to beat them but we freeze up on the big days against them. The ref while he made some questionable calls wasn't the reason Cork lost on Sunday. We lost due to our insane kickout policy and our failure to change it when it clearly wasn't working. Donaghy should have been sent off and Gooch as usual got a soft free or two but Kerry are full value for their win .

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Tayto Thu 07 Jul 2011, 11:38 am

Am I the only Corkman on here that doesn't whinge about referees and soft frees.
The last time I looked (Sunday) Gaelic football was a mans game.

Maybe if some of our players toughened up a bit it might keep the whingers at bay.

By the way Patrick I think you will find that any Corkman or Kerryman would care more about beating each other than losing to Tyrone 100 times.
The days of PUKE football are gone (thank God for that)
It's called sporting rivalry and that's what makes Munster finals special when both these teams meet.

I hope we meet Kerry in the All Ireland final and for once have the best 2 teams in the country playing for the Sam.

Tayto

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Thu 07 Jul 2011, 11:54 am

I am the only one moaning on here.

I have no problem if it is a mans game so long as the rules are applied equitably.
equally, if all sides are afforded the same levels of cynicism in their play, then I wouldn't be happy, but I'd accept it more readily.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 07 Jul 2011, 11:56 am

Tayto,where did I whinge? I said they deserved their win. I said Donaghy desrved to be sent off and I'm pretty sure most Kerry fans would agree with that.The home team will always get one or two home town decisions,Cork have got their fair share of them in the past and will do so in the future.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by patrick91 Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:09 pm

so your saying kerry wouldnt like a match way tyrone to prove a point maybe over a rematch way cork?

we have local rivaly with derry donegal and armagh but it would mean alot more to beat the dubs than any of them three.

the fact gooch said it says more then if he had of said nothing.
patrick91
patrick91

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:18 pm

Patrick

Unless you have a time machine you cant go back and the current Tyrone team are not what they were, they dont offer the same physicality they once did and if Gooch did say this it seems like a bit of a chip on the shoulder.

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by patrick91 Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:41 pm

if he want to go around saying losing to cork in munster hurts more than losing an all-ireland final then that his opinion.

every county has their rivals and losing to them hurts doengal hurt us but losing in the final hurts more.

he is trying to hide the fact that tyrone betered kerry in the 3 meetings.
patrick91
patrick91

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:56 pm

congratulations for being the 2008 all ireland champions.

As I am at it, congratulations to Cavan for being the 1952 all ireland champions
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by akaredtop Thu 07 Jul 2011, 3:00 pm

Ar aghaidh le cheile wrote:Patrick

Unless you have a time machine you cant go back and the current Tyrone team are not what they were, they dont offer the same physicality they once did and if Gooch did say this it seems like a bit of a chip on the shoulder.

This must be one of the most ridiculous posts ever. So if Kerry were to beat Tyrone in the AI final this year it does'nt count. It only counts some years does it? Funny that, anytime Kerry are beaten it is a huge deal by the opposing team and media. Down last year beat a second string Kerry team but we did not complain.We congratulated them. Instead we went about trying find replacements in the defence and midfield.

akaredtop

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu 07 Jul 2011, 3:16 pm

What was "second string" about Kerry's team last year against Down??

No Dara O'Se, No Jack O Se, NO Paidi O'Se, No Maurice Fitzgerald, No Mikey Sheehy and No John Egan...............................

Down beat Kerry......it can happen!!! and don't be talking about the 2 suspended lads because elbowing and poking are not allowed!!

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tayto Thu 07 Jul 2011, 4:13 pm

Thomond,

I cannot speak for most Kerry fans but I can give you my opinion as a Corkman.

If Donaghy had been sent off on Sunday then O Leary should have gone with him.

Tayto

Back to top Go down

Post by akaredtop Thu 07 Jul 2011, 4:24 pm

John Cregan wrote:What was "second string" about Kerry's team last year against Down??

No Dara O'Se, No Jack O Se, NO Paidi O'Se, No Maurice Fitzgerald, No Mikey Sheehy and No John Egan...............................

Down beat Kerry......it can happen!!! and don't be talking about the 2 suspended lads because elbowing and poking are not allowed!!

John, you forgot, we did not have Bomber Liston either!
Now you see the point I was trying to make about Patrick's ridiculous post. I agree with you. If a team wins, it wins! No ifs or buts.

akaredtop

Back to top Go down

Post by patrick91 Thu 07 Jul 2011, 4:37 pm

what ridiculous post is that?
patrick91
patrick91

Back to top Go down

Post by akaredtop Thu 07 Jul 2011, 4:45 pm

My apologies Patrick. It was not your post. It was our Down friend, "Ar aghaidh le cheile".

akaredtop

Back to top Go down

Post by patrick91 Thu 07 Jul 2011, 4:52 pm

Ok!
patrick91
patrick91

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Thu 07 Jul 2011, 7:32 pm

[quote="patrick91"]and gooch says losing to tyrone 3 times dosent mater to him getting one over the rebels means more than a victory over tyrone talk about complete ballix. laughing

[/quote

Before you get on your high Kerry horse perhaps you should try to understand the context of the comment.
Firstly if Gooch did say what is quoted and it was without a direct line of questioning about Tyrone then it seems to me he has a severe issue regarding Tyrone direct dominance over Kerry in the last decade.
Secondly even the most die hard Tyrone fans would not suggest that this years team is what it was bak in 03,05 or 07. My point being that Gooch and co didnt beat them in their prime and a win now would not make this Kerry team a greater team than Tyrone were in their prime.
Finally any team can only beat what is put in front of them but truly great teams beat great teams and like it or not it is now some time since Kerry had a truly great team.

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tayto Thu 07 Jul 2011, 10:55 pm

Well cheile,

I have read some ridiculous comments on here but yours takes the biscuit. 🤦

Thank God PUKE football is a thing of the past and the likes of Cork,Kerry and Dublin to name but a few are trying to play the game as it should be.

Tyrone in their prime as you put it was the worst advertisement for Gaelic football in the history of the GAA and loyal supporters of the game turned around and walked away in their thousands.

I can think of many great teams but after what Tyrone did to to the game I most certainly would not have them upon that pedestal.

PUKE FOOTBALL RIP. OK

Tayto

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Thu 07 Jul 2011, 11:23 pm

not an expert at all but cork come back must give them heart if they play again this year . Then again kerry won with the gooch doing next to nothing if he clicks they could score a lot more points

can any GAA experts tell me if derry are worth a punt this year?

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by patrick91 Thu 07 Jul 2011, 11:50 pm

say what you like about puke football as the southern media call it the fact is it was effective we won 3 armagh 1 and ofcourse the all ulster or all puke football all-ireland final in 2003 puke football at its best.

puke fooball is a myth created by a kerry man who couldnt take his beatings and decided to take down a great team.

harte and co came up with a masterplan to win all-irelands kerry couldnt deal with it and instead of being gracious in defeat they tell us how gaelic football is being destroyed by defensive tactics.

the aim of gaelic football is to win and what you do to win is what decides how far you go. you adapt to the situation you dont complain on rte about it.

atleast tyrone armagh and down last year actually put it up to kerry unlike the mayo's and cork's of the world possibly the worst all-ireland finals of all time try selling that to fans a final over in 10 minutes.

Last edited by patrick91 on Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
patrick91
patrick91

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:03 am

jb1973 wrote:not an expert at all but cork come back must give them heart if they play again this year . Then again kerry won with the gooch doing next to nothing if he clicks they could score a lot more points

can any GAA experts tell me if derry are worth a punt this year?

for the odds, certainly worth a punt.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:05 am

Patrick,

Down never adopted puke football.

And Cork have beaten Kerry more in the last decade than Tyrone have....so to suggest that we never put it up to them is a nonsense.
And to denigrate Kerry for only beating Mayo in 2006, well take a look at what Tyrone were doing in 06. Failing, failing and failing. There was never a year that Tyrone weren't in the All Ireland. Its shag all use having a master-plan to beat Kerry if you lose to Derry, scrape past Louth in a replay and get pumped out by Laois.

Funnily enough, we beat Kerry by 6 in 06.....great master-plan that it was, where did it get us?

a big fat zero....same as you.

Last edited by RebelBhoy on Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by patrick91 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:12 am

i was basically saying northern teams puke football or not give kerry a good game unlike teams who play the game the right way.
patrick91
patrick91

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:21 am

oh.....well that is rubbish.

going back to 06, Armagh got battered by kerry.
what did down get for beating kerry? NOTHING

07 Kerry beat Monaghan and again in 08

09 they beat antrim....

mythbuster
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by patrick91 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:37 am

good game dosent mean beat good game means dont lose by 10+ points and the game has lost intrest after 10 mins.

other than meath kerry have only lost to ulster counties in the championship outside of munster in the last 10 years.

patrick91
patrick91

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Fri 08 Jul 2011, 9:45 am

So what?

less than half the losses suffered by Kerry in a decade came from Ulster.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Fri 08 Jul 2011, 9:52 am

Tayto wrote:Well cheile,

I have read some ridiculous comments on here but yours takes the biscuit. 🤦

Thank God PUKE football is a thing of the past and the likes of Cork,Kerry and Dublin to name but a few are trying to play the game as it should be.

Tyrone in their prime as you put it was the worst advertisement for Gaelic football in the history of the GAA and loyal supporters of the game turned around and walked away in their thousands.

I can think of many great teams but after what Tyrone did to to the game I most certainly would not have them upon that pedestal.

PUKE FOOTBALL RIP. OK

Is there something in the water in Cork and Kerry that makes you believe that you are the authority on how the game should be played?. Perhaps all the players should still be in the middle of the pitch and we can get the archbishop in to throw the ball in again. Maybe we can go back to Cork or Kerry having only to win two real games a year before they are in the final is that traditional enough?

Have you seen Dublin, they are playing behind a massed defence where did they get that from and are they playing puke football, or is puke football only reserved for Ulster. Have you seen Donegal this year do they play puke football or will they have to beat the likes of Cork or Kerry before they become puke. As a proud Down man I didnt enjoy the trouncings we got from Tyrone and Armagh but they brought a new intensity to the game which all others have had to step up to and the game has chnged for the better Whistle .

As for loyal supporters walking away in their thousands my memory is that Tyrone and Armagh supporters filled grounds up and down the country. What evidence have you for your claim and where were these "loyal" supporters from. Somebody said in an earlier post that Kerry congratulated Down when we beat them, must have happened in a telephone box somewhere as there weren't enough Kerry supporters in Croke to fill one, are these the loyal supporters.

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by akaredtop Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:34 am

Look back at the Kerry?Down match last year. All Kerry players gave a warm congratulations to Down players at the end. Jack O Connor and the players made no excuses as there were none.

akaredtop

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:47 am

ha ha ha ha...no..none at all.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tayto Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:22 am

Well cheile

Facts are I would expect the likes of Tyrone and Armagh fans to travel to Dublin in their droves as it is a once in a lifetime opportunity for most of them to see their teams play in an All Ireland final.

The shoe is firmly on the other foot when it comes to Cork and Kerry.
How ridiculous is it to ask both these counties to travel to Dublin for quarter finals and so on year in year out when the distance is so great.

Most of the fans from both teams cannot afford to this and so is the answer to your question.

All fine and well for you northern boys to visit once in a blue moon. Whistle

Tayto

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:09 pm

Tayto wrote:Well cheile

Facts are I would expect the likes of Tyrone and Armagh fans to travel to Dublin in their droves as it is a once in a lifetime opportunity for most of them to see their teams play in an All Ireland final.

The shoe is firmly on the other foot when it comes to Cork and Kerry.
How ridiculous is it to ask both these counties to travel to Dublin for quarter finals and so on year in year out when the distance is so great.

Most of the fans from both teams cannot afford to this and so is the answer to your question.

All fine and well for you northern boys to visit once in a blue moon. Whistle

Sorry for my own clarification are you saying it was only the thousands of loyal Cork or Kerry fans who walked away?. Perhaps there is a different definition of loyal there.

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by patrick91 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 2:17 pm

atleast when we lost we didnt start with the excuses and to be fair we could have but we were gracious in defeat like a true champion should be maybe cork and kerry could learn something on sportsmanship from the ulster teams.

if pat spillane was really a sportsman he would have took his beatings after we hammered kerry instead of making snide comments. it was only puke football cause kerry got hammered.

people making comments about how puke football took fans away from the sport the worst comment ive ever heard even spillane would be that bais. where is the proof of this?

tyrone and armagh brought masive numbers to croke park 65,000-70,000 ulster final 2005 and all-ireland semi final

patrick91
patrick91

Back to top Go down

Post by akaredtop Fri 08 Jul 2011, 3:18 pm

Tyrone hammered Kerry? Are you re-writing history? Maybe in 2003 with the Puke football but in 2005 and 2008 the matches turned on vital incidents. In 2005 the Gooch was poked in the eye by the Tyrone keeper but the ref just ignored it and Tyrone went up the field and scored a goal. In 2008 even with a tactically inept manager like Pat O Shea we were well in the game. The quick Tyrone goal after half time seemed to affect us as we were getting on top at the end of the first half. We were still ahead by a point in the middle of the second half but needed to be further ahead as Tyrone finished stronger. Hardly hammerings.

akaredtop

Back to top Go down

Post by patrick91 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 3:39 pm

puke football started in 2003 after we hammered kerry that what im talking about.

2005 never heard of that? even so whats that got to do with puke football kerry arent excatly saints.

2008 kerry led at 56th minute so the goal didnt even mater kerry failed to score again and tyrone showed their class.

a great team wouldnt make excuses.
patrick91
patrick91

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Fri 08 Jul 2011, 5:18 pm

patrick91 wrote:puke football started in 2003 after we hammered kerry that what im talking about.

no....no it didn't

patrick91 wrote:
a great team wouldnt make excuses.

Then the excuses you offer for Tyrone are an admission that they are not, or were not a great team?

I have a strong dislike for Kerry but that didn't appear to be an excuse. Kerry are not immune from making excuses. their post game yerra-ing is something to behold.

RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by patrick91 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 5:30 pm

2003 semi v kerry pat spillane thats nothing but puke football?

im not a pundit on tv or management spillane and co are.

i have a strong dislike for derry and donegal and i wouldnt talk them up the way some cork supporters do about kerry.
patrick91
patrick91

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Fri 08 Jul 2011, 9:45 pm

do derry and donegal have 36 all irelands?
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next