The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Congratulations Wallabies Win Tri Nations

+34
Feckless Rogue
21st Century Schizoid Man
Gatts
Rangiora
eirebilly
krusty
majesticimperialman
asoreleftshoulder
debaters1
perand25
disneychilly
deadfred
GunsGerms
nganboy
Breadvan
Pal Joey
Rob B
boomeranga
nottins
Thomond
aucklandlaurie
Pot Hale
kingjohn7
OzT
Taylorman
emack2
nottins_jones
Otagolad
Comfort
fa0019
Bullsbok
Full Credit
Biltong
TheGreyGhost
38 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Congratulations Wallabies Win Tri Nations Empty Congratulations Wallabies Win Tri Nations

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed 24 Aug - 13:29

Well, well, well.

http://www.sareferees.co.za/sarefs/appointments/2775364.htm

May I take this opportunity to be the first to congratulate Australia on winning the Tri-nations this year.

Tri-Nations

Australia vs New Zealand at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Referee: Wayne Barnes (England)
Assistant referees: Craig Joubert (South Africa), Cobus Wessels (South Africa)
Television match official: Matt Goddard (Australia)

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Congratulations Wallabies Win Tri Nations Empty Re: Congratulations Wallabies Win Tri Nations

Post by Biltong Wed 24 Aug - 13:32

I knew they could do it.

Oh, no!

Sorry

I mean i knew barnes could do it!

randy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Congratulations Wallabies Win Tri Nations Empty Re: Congratulations Wallabies Win Tri Nations

Post by Full Credit Wed 24 Aug - 13:33

TheGreyGhost wrote: May I take this opportunity to be the first to congratulate Australia on winning the Tri-nations this year.

Cheers!

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Wed 24 Aug - 14:57

relax ghost, Craig Joubert has a bit of fairness in him so we might see Coopers forward passes being called up (unlikely )

anyway despite the odds being fimrly stacked in aussie favour the AB will be too good
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 24 Aug - 15:16

TheGreyGhost

Come on... does lightning really strike twice?

Then again when you think.....'95, '99, '03, '07... perhaps it does afterall.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 24 Aug - 15:23

Wayne Barnes call's everything in New Zealands favour, what are you talking about.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Otagolad Wed 24 Aug - 15:33

Actually since the '07 final Barnes hasn't been too bad when it comes to AB's games - I guess he has some making up to do. To be fair to him in the '07 final he was miles behind the play and could never have called the forward pass - that should have been called by the assistant referees - it was the fact that NZ had 80% of possession and territory and he did not give one penalty to the AB's in the entire second half that was the problem (French media later reported that there were at least 26 penalisable offences committed by the French in the second half). furious

Let's just hope he continues his recent good form and isn't like Clancy who was woeful - don't get me wrong, the Boks deserved to beat the AB's on the day.

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 24 Aug - 15:35

Otagolad, welcome to the 606v2 forum, may your sensible comments be well recieved.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Wed 24 Aug - 15:40

So when can we congratulate France for beating NZ twice in the same world cup?
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Otagolad Wed 24 Aug - 15:57

Thanks Bil - I used to post on the old 606 and just found this - posting from a flight from Orlando to LA on the way back to NZ.

Bottoms - even a WUM like you should know that the French only ever get up for one big game in the tournament and it is never in the pool games and never in the final so very unlikely that two AB's losses to the French will occur.

Really looking forward to the game at the weekend, although despite home ground advantage I expect the AB's to win comfortably - they have a point to prove and will want to set a huge marker; also I don't believe that the Aussies actually believe they are good enough to beat the AB's.

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Post by Otagolad Wed 24 Aug - 15:59

Sorry, that should have been Nottins but the iPad's spell correct went a bit made, although it might be on to something Whistle

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Wed 24 Aug - 16:00

How un-funny. There's a first time for everything and with Wayne Barnes going to the world cup then anything is possible. Wink
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Otagolad Wed 24 Aug - 16:08

Nottins

Being the butt (pun intended) of the joke I can see why you don't think it's funny, however I'm sure a few of your protagonists are having a quiet chuckle.

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Wed 24 Aug - 16:11

Yahoo laughing
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 24 Aug - 16:29

What is more pertinent,how much will they miss O`Connor and how fit is
Genia.If they win good luck to them,they have`nt been hiding players.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Wed 24 Aug - 16:43

Apparently Genia wasn't too happy when he copped that elbow from his dad (Samo) and basically didn't know where he was or what happened. Link

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Otagolad Wed 24 Aug - 16:45

Emack,

I might be being overly optimistic, and I'm prepared to take my medicine if the AB's lose, however apart from at halfback (and that is debatable if Weepu starts - GH likes Weepu against the Aussies) I can't see one position where the Aussies are better than the corresponding AB and our bench is massive superior.

I'm predicting a 12 to 18 point win for the AB's as GH will start the first XV on Saturday.

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 24 Aug - 17:01

No they havnt been hiding players (wasnt that samoa oz side a good non hiding pre 3N one) in an effort to maximise their world cup effort. Instead theyve been dealing with inhouse brawls and getting oconnor to the naughty seat for getting on the p£§%s when he should have been training.
Yeah. Real well deserved alan. True professionals. They couldnt afford to hide. The oz public and media wouldnt allow another samoa result.
Geez change your tune and get with the play.
Theres more to it than beating that one drum all the time.
On the refs. No problem.
GG has a fixation on reffing that is hard to understand and not worth the effort.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 24 Aug - 17:09

Team annouced,strongest starting side Kaino apart[his wife is having a baby].Weepu starting,Thomson at 6,Whitelockand Thorn locking.
Stronger bench Afoa? or Toeva?ahead of Ben Franks and SBW?
Just hope Woodcock stays the course,Afoa maybe versatile and mobile,but as a Scrummager he sucks.The first time he starts and the AB scrum goes backward.
As to Toeva not convinced,could go either way,should have been wrapped up last Saturday.But the A team were watching at home!!!

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 24 Aug - 17:16

Taylorman,play one tournament at a time before trying to win another
I`m neither fool nor hypocrite as you well know,so no I won`t be changing my tune.
Samoa ,for Oz meant what Fiji did for Nz a warm up,but maybe i`m not like some.I hate losing as an All Black supporter to ANYONE let alone our greatest rivals the BOKS.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Otagolad Wed 24 Aug - 17:19

Fantastic team and I'm very confident of a win (confident not arrogant based on past results and the make up of both teams). As I said GH has a horses for courses approach to SA and Aus at halfback with him preferring Cowan against the Boks as he is the better defender around the rucks and in cover and Weepu being the better runner against the more open style of the Aussies.

Man for man I can't see one Aussie who is a better player that their AB equivalent - even Thomson is butter than Elsom at six.

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Wed 24 Aug - 17:26

Otagolad wrote:Man for man I can't see one Aussie who is a better player that their AB equivalent

Good thing for us it's a team sport.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 24 Aug - 17:27

There is something about this match which makes me think that the momentum is heading towards Aus on this one.

Its at the Suncorp, Howill is now officially captain and Quade needs a big game in a gold jersey.

Looking at the form book you'd naturally go with NZ... very good record against Aus in last 10 years, home & away. Superior in almost all departments etc etc. Yet I still think this Aus team may shock a couple of people and grab a win.

Win and the loss will start to eat away at NZ thats for sure.

If Aus lose however it will be very difficult to pick themselves up even if they got to the final and faced NZ... if we can't beat you at home... what are our chances in your home?

Its a massive test for both teams... probably biggest between the two since '03 SF RWC because of the potential momentum the game will give the winners.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Otagolad Wed 24 Aug - 17:29

And the AB's are a better team unit as well - look at Aus with players getting peed, captain being stripped of the captaincy and being picked even though he isn't the best six kin the squad - team, I'm sure Aus are a really close unit at the moment

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Wed 24 Aug - 17:30

Or was that our final in the semi's in '03?

I still reckon it'll be a cracker of a game, and for the Wallabies to win.... with or without biltong's support!!! LOL!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 24 Aug - 17:32

Yes i hate it too but when you flog the deserved tag around the ozzie neck do it with a degree of objectivity rather than hang it on one principle.
Oconnor going on the turps has seriously undermined the oz effort at such a critical time that they dont even have the full commitment of their starting 15 let alone backup players.
We had our next best all fired up and ready to take on the task of doing what the bosses required of them in an effort to maximise our chances of both tournaments.

FULL COMMITMENT.

The abs are not there to attend simply to your self serving prophecy part of which is to 'stick the wcup where the sun dont shine'.

Sorry but abs and their supporters just dont follow that one i think youll find.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Otagolad Wed 24 Aug - 17:32

Agree with you FA, however I sternly feel that the AB's know they can beat this Aussie side whereas the Aussies don't quite believe they can beat the AB's and that may be the deciding factor.

As an aside, I have to say tha

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Post by Otagolad Wed 24 Aug - 17:35

As an aside, I have to say that the American Airlines inflight wifi service (US$12) for the five hour flight from Orlando to LA is very good - am at 38,000 feet and have had no issues with it all flight other than my young son pushing the wrong keys now and then.

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed 24 Aug - 17:47

Otagolad wrote:Man for man I can't see one Aussie who is a better player that their AB equivalent

I remember Sean Fitzpatrick saying exactly that in the 5 minutes prior to the 2003 semi-final.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Wed 24 Aug - 17:48

Well it is Australia after all so it's assumed most of players are on the sauce most of the time. The captaincy should never have been given to Elsom in the first place so I look at that as being more of a rectification than anything else. I can't argue about Elsom being in the side though, I've been quite vocal for him to get the boot but he probably did enough last game to show signs of improvement. Higgers has been getting a reputation as an impact player off the bench and his lackluster game V NZ as starter probably helped cement that further although he's not an 8.

I would also agree with you that I'm not sure the belief is there either within the Wallaby camp at the moment. I've lost count of the number of interviews I've read lately where wallaby players keep referring to NZ as 'the best side in the world' or 'the number 1 side'. While this is undoubtedly the case right now, could they please stop affirming it. The AB's win most games before they even walk out there. I remember reading that Eddie Jones only wanted the AB's referred to as 'New Zealand' to try to remove some of the aura. If they could stop singing NZ's praises for 5 minutes we might win a game.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 24 Aug - 17:56

Otagolad wrote:And the AB's are a better team unit as well - look at Aus with players getting peed, captain being stripped of the captaincy and being picked even though he isn't the best six kin the squad - team, I'm sure Aus are a really close unit at the moment
otago... Its all about this freedom of expression part of deans philosphy.
Give them room to breathe...ahhh....thats better. Express yourselves.
Dont be tied down or feel restricted... Whistle

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Wed 24 Aug - 19:04

Otagolad wrote:Fantastic team and I'm very confident of a win (confident not arrogant based on past results and the make up of both teams). As I said GH has a horses for courses approach to SA and Aus at halfback with him preferring Cowan against the Boks as he is the better defender around the rucks and in cover and Weepu being the better runner against the more open style of the Aussies.

Man for man I can't see one Aussie who is a better player that their AB equivalent - even Thomson is butter than Elsom at six.

What about Beale? Mils is great aswell but just think Beale is best in the world.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Aug - 19:37

kingjohn7 wrote:
Otagolad wrote:Fantastic team and I'm very confident of a win (confident not arrogant based on past results and the make up of both teams). As I said GH has a horses for courses approach to SA and Aus at halfback with him preferring Cowan against the Boks as he is the better defender around the rucks and in cover and Weepu being the better runner against the more open style of the Aussies.

What about Beale? Mils is great aswell but just think Beale is best in the world.
Yeah, I'd say Beale is the best 15 at the moment. Great player to watch too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 24 Aug - 20:25

It's a plot by the IRB.

Definitely.

They're out to get GG.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 24 Aug - 20:44

They'll never get GG...he's....the phantom ghost... ghost

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 24 Aug - 20:46

Taylorman,you know me,and my ethos.my last comment WAS not aimed at
Graham Henry or the All Blacks .
I am as stated sick of not just this year,but every RWC year the downgrading of ALL major Competions being downgraded in a masterplan
to win a RWC.
Already on this page someone is talking about the Tail Wagging the Dog,post RWC.the RFU and Sanzar or whoever are going to have to take
a serious look at the workloads of players.
Not just in RWC years but generally,in the SH the Super 15 may be expanded further to have an Argentina Franchise or two to support the
national side in a 4Ns tourney.
This year in the SH alone in the S15 large number of injuries were sustained
some of exceptional severity.Some indeed so bad it is a miracle they can still play.An example is Ali Williams a player who has torn an achilles tendon not once but twice.
He has fought back ,regained an AB side and in the words of Andy Haden today despite being rubbished by the press.THE BEST Lock in NZ at the core duties of a Lock.HE should know.
What is required is either larger squads[unlikely due to costs] only Top14 sides can afford them.OR less games at all levels including tests.
This year the S15 finished almost as soon as the 3Ns started,which finishes less than fortnight before RWC kickoff.
Come 2015 if nothing is done the position will be worse with even more matches to beplayed.
What is required is a complete rethink of the situation,by all parties concerned to ease the work load .NO one likes losing,especially when
weakened teams are involved.
IF you find a BIGGER ALL BLACK FAN than me introduce us,for nearly 60 years despite being of Anglo-Scottish birth.I have supported them thru the bad years and the good.I`ve had to put up with chokers jibes from friends and work mates.WHAT has consoled me is the ABs win stats v all Comers,in the Pro era,in the Super series and 3Ns,i`m used to RWC disappointments.
IF the All Blacks win the 3Ns i`ll be delighted the RWC doubly so,NOT because of some Master plan,but it will get the monkey of a nations back.
I know you cannot turn back time,or reverse the trends of established practices of resting players.BUT I Genuinely think someone in authority wants to try.Because it will get to stage of playing Super Rugby or test matches to empty stadiums and that will help NO one.
This year the Boks have thrown away 2 maybe 3 matches,gambling on winning the RWC.
The All Blacks fielded a scratch side which ,had it played the Boks when they were rusty may well have won that match.
Australia with far less resources fielded nearly there strongest sides in ALL the matches.
As far as I am concerned IF they win the 3Ns then it is thoroughly deserved,they were prepared to risk injuries to win one tournament
before starting another.They are still confident they can win the RWC too.
The All Blacks have fielded the strongest available side with the exception
of Kaino on maternity watch.
SBW has apparently become a muslim and is fasting for Ramadan[ends Aug 29]which may explain his omission.Afoa for Ben Franks that I cannot understand.
Apparently there is a shadow squad in place to cover injuries in the RWC and a specialist 7 is on standby.
Hosea Gear apparently is now likely to go overseas now,only 3 players are now off contact post RWC.
Him,Sonny Boy Williams,and Cory Jane,[both these were rumoured moving overseas too]
Finally IF they can risk the full squad versus OZ why not against the Boks.?

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 24 Aug - 21:04

Good evening Alan, I fully agree with you something needs to be done about the workload of the players.

SARU has now decided to reduce the Currie Cup premier league to six team effectively cutting out the other 8 provincial teams from getting big sponsors and gate money, those provinces are our feeding ground and by removing any possibilty from gaining access to the premier league will see many a sponsor walk away.

And all this for that damn money spinning career shortening ever expanding Super competition that has lost its Super component years ago
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 24 Aug - 21:10

Morning folks

And mr ELVs on the TMO...

Anyone know/think of a reason why Joubert wasn't given this appointment?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 24 Aug - 21:19

I think Greyghost managed to get through to Paddy O'Brian to convince him no South African teachers or referees should be in an important officiating position presiding over a game involving the AllBlacks
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 24 Aug - 21:23

If you want to get GG why don't you just call Ghostbusters?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 24 Aug - 21:27

Hi Biltong the ITM in NZ did something similar,i think when you are playing something like 14 tests a year.Some against tier 2 sides to half empty stadioms no wonder teams in SH are struggling to make end meet.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 24 Aug - 21:29

What that old decrepid bunch that raced around town in that old ambulance in what the eghties?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 24 Aug - 21:29

Biltong
I didn't know Joubert was a teacher.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Wed 24 Aug - 22:23

Otagolad wrote:Actually since the '07 final Barnes hasn't been too bad when it comes to AB's games

New Zealand didn't make it to the 2007 RWC final and Barnes didn't referee the final.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 24 Aug - 22:30

BiltongBek

I think the reason why the Currie Cup is being reduced is the level of competition. Whatever some may say... the gulf between teams 1 & 8 in a standard year (non RWC) is massive.... it becomes a non event when the bottom clubs are getting beat 50+ every game.

Look at last years CC.... the bottom club the Leopards against the Super franchises conceded on ave. 52 points a match and scored on ave. only 16.
When you think that the Super Franchises also leave out most of their test players for most of the CC you'll begin to wonder what the scores would have been if they were available.

Now compare this to the English Premiership... the team that came 8th last year was Exeter. They recorded wins against the teams who ended up 2nd (who ended up winning the EP), 3rd & 4th in the final standings. In CC this just wouldn't happen.

This isn't to say that the EP is stronger... its rather to state that it is more competitive. Personally I think the EP has an edge on CC rugby albeit a small one... mainly because top players compete in it and its able to recruit players from all over the world.

Its no good if the competition is not at an certain level.. both players on both sides. Also if the fans stay away then it becomes such a non event that perhaps shortening the competition may not be such a bad idea.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Wed 24 Aug - 22:54

from what I know of SA club rugby; the small franchises will never improve because their best players always get loaned or contracted to the top ones for the Super 15 season.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 24 Aug - 23:08

FA, Nottins you are both rightr,but FA the fact is the coverage and attraction of the 1st division is an after thought and by only having six teams in the Prenier League will stifle our growth of higher quality players and ultimately do to those provinces whaty the rich unions do to their second tiwr clubs, kill it.

Nottins what you are saying is correct but the loan is reciprecal, the Bulls loan their excess contracted players out to the Leopards to assist them and provide their guys with game time
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 25 Aug - 8:54

All good Alan,
Have to keep reminding myself that your support is from a unique perspective as you'll not often see many Kiwi's saying the Ozzies deserve this one.

Their campaign is so thus far...
- Grossly underestimated Samoa and got pummelled. These matches are not friendly's as Oz and NZ don't play friendlies. This was reflected by the outrage of both media and fans towards the players and coach.

- Then they got their main players and beat a SA2 team, suddenly transforming into a team that could beat any team in the world on a regular basis with Cooper, fans, the press and even former players going on about NZ being past it, old and so on.

- Then they got beaten by NZ at Eden Park, Cooper particularly having a poor one by his standards.

-Then they went to SA with their full team knowing they needed to win to have any chance of winning the 3N and to regain the faith of the Oz rugby following 2 losses which beforehand they seemed to think they would win.

- Then they won well in an excellent performance against SA.

-Now theyre back in Oz, smashing eachother up in training, presumably as a response to the 2 losses in which they were out muscled and fpr some reason have a media response that is all about how they respect the All Blacks, all talk of lapping it up at Suncorp seemingly gone, a venue the AB's have always won at.

And on top of all this, theyve sacked their captain and have to put one of their main strikers on the naughty seat this week for getting P^%&sd and not turning up for an official engagement.

The reason they had to front with their main team is because thats all they have- Samoa proved that. Any B team against NZ or SA would have been dealt to in a big way.

Sorry Alan, but I just can't agree with your deserves to win comment because all I see is a team in disarray, they dont know what to do or say from one week to the next, and although they may win this weekend, they'll deserve it then, and only then.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 25 Aug - 9:56

Look I created this thread for mindless, borderline unacceptable pops at Wayne Barnes, and local TMOs. And I could even have tolerated the odd regression into the Clancy thing.

Frankly I'm frustrated that it has ascended into a meaningful discussion around the merits (or otherwise) of the SANZAR nations with some valid points being made.

Could we keep on topic please?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 25 Aug - 10:14

Sorry ghost, but sometimes sanity prevails
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next