The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Simple Maths

+7
Gatts
wales606
nottins
tecphobe
aucklandlaurie
Draigoch
TheGreyGhost
11 posters

Go down

Simple Maths Empty Simple Maths

Post by TheGreyGhost Sun 28 Aug 2011, 11:52 pm

After four of five similar infringements a referee will give a team warning for professional fouls in the so-called "red zone".

On the sixth occasion (unless the referee is Nigel Owens) we usually see a card.

The average number of points scored against a team reduced to 14 men is 7 points (for the sake of argument, it's actually about 6.4 on average, but let's round it up)

An international goal kicker will have an accuracy of about 70-80%, so from 6 shots at goal a team might reasonably expect to get about 15 points.

In a close international test match you'll often get just a handful of changes in the opposition 22 to convert into tries.

So who can blame highly "professional" teams from repeatedly infringing whenever the try line is endangered with cynical professional fouls?

((4 x 7) + (2 x 5) = 38 ) > (15+7 = 22)

Until referees get tougher on deliberate repeated cynicism, the perpetrators yield a 16 point advantage. How many tests are won by less?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Simple Maths Empty Re: Simple Maths

Post by Draigoch Mon 29 Aug 2011, 12:04 am

Excuse me? I'm afraid you've lost me.

(4 x 7) + (2 x 5) = 38 ? What is this?

Is that 4 converted tries and two not? So this is based on someone scoring six tries when opposition doesn't cheat? To work this out you could do with a ratio of how many times a team visits the red-zone and returns with points where the opposition isn't penalized, or cheats.

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 29 Aug 2011, 12:08 am

i know I'm not the sharpest knife in the draw but this is starting to look like something from the big bang theory.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon 29 Aug 2011, 12:11 am

I said "simple maths" draigoch, I'm not writing a thesis, just illustrating the point that England certainly did give away a lot of penalties in that first half on Saturday before Owens did something about it.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Mon 29 Aug 2011, 12:15 am

I agree with what your saying and not just because im irish. Ireland in the past have been one of the the bigest infringers at the breakdown however we seam to have improved our discipline or got more sneaky. This my well be a wind-up aimed at england however you do have a point tho a certain team in black arnt adverse to it when under pressure. The worrying thing from an england perspective is ireland very rarely looked like punching holes in the english line yet england shipped a lot of pen's. What happens when there is a greater threat?

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Mon 29 Aug 2011, 12:17 am

Well, in which case it holds no water. You're forgetting anywho that 'card building penalties' can occur all over the field and cynical play stopping a try can lead to a straight yellow anyway.

I agree with you, Nige should have got the card out maybe a penalty or two earlier, but I think he was trying to avoid it in order to let the game flow. In the end he got fed up and dished it out.

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Mon 29 Aug 2011, 12:25 am

10 penalties against NZ on Saturday, why wasn't one of their players yellow carded ?

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 29 Aug 2011, 12:27 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:

An international goal kicker will have an accuracy of about 70-80%, so from 6 shots at goal a team might reasonably expect to get about 15 points.

Why are 6 penalties 6 shots at goal, not all penalties are kickable.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Mon 29 Aug 2011, 12:40 am

thats the trouble with windups on here. You post to many and everyone assumes all your posts are windups. Grey Ghost may mention england however his point is that there is still a huge incentive to cheat all things being equal .

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Mon 29 Aug 2011, 5:00 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:

Until referees get tougher on deliberate repeated cynicism, the perpetrators yield a 16 point advantage. How many tests are won by less?

Do you think the mods on here could get tougher on your constant carping about refereeing and how the ABs aren't allowed to have their own rules....i am surprised you haven't complained about how they ref the haka

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Mon 29 Aug 2011, 8:13 am

nottins wrote:10 penalties against NZ on Saturday, why wasn't one of their players yellow carded ?

They are not allowed to be yellow carded - Paddy would i) publicly criticise them in order to humiliate them; ii) issue a press release publicly apologising to reinforce said humiliation, and after personaly fronting up at ABs accommodation in order to commiserate and lament iii) sack them from further significant matches, or make them linesmen in third tier matches for the next season iv) promise ABs that it will never happen again on his watch.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 29 Aug 2011, 8:52 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:I said "simple maths" draigoch, I'm not writing a thesis, just illustrating the point that England certainly did give away a lot of penalties in that first half on Saturday before Owens did something about it.

Is this a post against Nigel Owens for not yellow carding an England player sooner?

Or is this another dig at a ref, Because your beloved Abs lost to Aus and you think the Ref is to blame? Whistle

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Mon 29 Aug 2011, 9:14 am

I wish they had yellow carded sooner, we played our best rugby with 14 men.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Mon 29 Aug 2011, 9:20 am

GG if this is a dig at Owens and England, you have to remember a few things
1. Owens is to England like Barnes is to NZ(i.e looking to give a pen against one team while ignoring blatent pen from the other, or just make it up)
2. Positioning, most of the England pens were well outside the the England 22 and most in Irelands half, so therefore were not kickable for ROG or sexton
3 Its getting Boring now

Anyway we havent had a England are i) all poachers and steal SH talent ii)England should be diqualified from all tournaments for only playing 10man boring rugby and not scoring in the last world cup final, thread from you in a few days, your not going soft are you??

Last edited by Knackeredknees on Mon 29 Aug 2011, 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Aug 2011, 9:45 am

It's good to see greyghost has variety.

He's stopped whinging about why NZ lost and is now whinging about why England won.

Pow right in the kisser!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down