The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather is safe - Achievement overrides reputation everytime!!

+6
Waingro
Fists of Fury
Colonial Lion
Scottrf
Steffan
TRUSSMAN66
10 posters

Go down

Mayweather is safe - Achievement overrides reputation everytime!! Empty Mayweather is safe - Achievement overrides reputation everytime!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 01 Sep 2011, 8:07 pm

Larry Holmes - Everybody kinows Larry didn't want Page and took the IBF slice so he could handpick his opponents....
Ray Leonard - Pretty much avoided Hagler and Hearns 2 till they were shot and probably Aaron as well....
Marvin Hagler - Was in no rush to face Hearns again after the fight of the decade....Made Hearns blow Shuler away and took Leonard a year later.......
Tommy Hearns - A case could be made for Mccallum avoidance...
Roberto Duran - Called out Hagler and Leonard but never Tommy again!!
Dempsey - Langford etc..

All these guys could be put under the microscope but they are not because they have retired and are measured on achievement...

Not saying that Floyd has ducked Manny but those who try to pursue that line are wasting their time..

History shows he'll be a great as will Manny and their baggage (catchweight etc) will fall by the wayside....

Maybe it should too..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Mayweather is safe - Achievement overrides reputation everytime!! Empty Re: Mayweather is safe - Achievement overrides reputation everytime!!

Post by Steffan Thu 01 Sep 2011, 8:29 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Larry Holmes - Everybody kinows Larry didn't want Page and took the IBF slice so he could handpick his opponents....

You made a mistake. It should be 'knows' not 'kinows'. Yes I got one up on the Truss for spelling Yahoo

And I agree with what you are saying. The question is who will have the best reputation in say...20 years time out of Floyd and Manny based on their achievement?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Mayweather is safe - Achievement overrides reputation everytime!! Empty Re: Mayweather is safe - Achievement overrides reputation everytime!!

Post by Scottrf Thu 01 Sep 2011, 8:38 pm

You're right mate, but his achievements could be more.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 01 Sep 2011, 8:59 pm

Maybe.........but you could say that about most Hall of famers..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 01 Sep 2011, 9:13 pm

Yeah but when it's as simple as him having fights rather than having breaks from the sport it's more disappointing. Hope your doing ok with the little one Trussy.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 01 Sep 2011, 9:43 pm

Everything is ok thanks...just a little tired.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Thu 01 Sep 2011, 9:57 pm

Its difficult to say. I dont think Mayweather has reached the heady heights of the aforementioned fighters.

At a time when boxing has become more sidelined than it probably ever has as a sport, Mayweather v Pacquaio was probably the only fight that really transcended the sport and had non regular boxing fans talking. That outside interest has dropped off considerably and to many Mayweather and Pacquiao are instantly remebered as the fight that didnt happen. Im not sure this particular generation will be quick to forget or forgive. However you are probably right that future generations and fans of the sport in 10/20/30 years time who werent around to witness this era will not really judge as harshly or appreciate the significance of a potential fight and this will continue to fade over time with the twos individual legacies shining through. But for our generation and the near future I think the issue will always be something of a shadow over the pair which will fade gradually as the decades pass.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 01 Sep 2011, 9:59 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Everything is ok thanks...just a little tired.

Changed any 'diapers' yet or you leaving your misses to it like half of my mates did Laugh

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:01 pm

Thought it was nappies in this Country...

Of course I'm a 21st century boy.............

About time you had some new Welsh blood in your family..

America needs more imports if he/she has any talent!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Thought it was nappies in this Country...

Im censored from talking about nationality (im also banned from talking about Carl Froch) so I cant respond to your witty comment im afraid Crying or Very sad

I have no intentions of reproducing though and neither does my new misses so the world is safe on that one

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:13 pm

I had no intention of producing either Steffy.....

Not sure the World is as safe as you think.. Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:16 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I had no intention of producing either Steffy.....

Not sure the World is as safe as you think.. Cool

Im a backdoor man...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:25 pm

Wont surprise anyone, least of all your boyfriend.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:31 pm

Scottrf wrote:Wont surprise anyone, least of all your boyfriend.

Theres already a gay in my village. Two is not allowed. Its not cup of tea anyway. Safe form of contraception with a woman though Wink

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:55 pm

Steffan wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Thought it was nappies in this Country...

Im censored from talking about nationality (im also banned from talking about Carl Froch) so I cant respond to your witty comment im afraid Crying or Very sad

I have no intentions of reproducing though and neither does my new misses so the world is safe on that one

For the record mate, of course you can talk about Froch, and can be as negative as you like..providing you're the right side of the line and not upto the old button pushing!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 02 Sep 2011, 12:02 am

Fists of Fury wrote:For the record mate, of course you can talk about Froch, and can be as negative as you like..providing you're the right side of the line and not upto the old button pushing!

Cheers. My hate campaign is over anyway. I hope he loses to Ward (badly) but I got a feeling he is gonna win to be honest

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Fri 02 Sep 2011, 12:04 am

so do i mate I think Froch will smash Ward up and he will go for the knock out coz he knows that he could get robbed if he dont

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 02 Sep 2011, 9:03 am

Valero achieved a fair bit

Will always be remembered firstly as a wife beater who went mental (more so than he was originally).

That debunks the "everytime" part of Truss's arguement, beer anyone?

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 02 Sep 2011, 11:45 am

What about the GOAT peak prime unbeatable 'Iron' Mike Tyson? He's remembered for being a wife-beating naughty person ear-biter, despite the fact his career was pretty stellar.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 02 Sep 2011, 8:31 pm

Can't agree with you Coxy about Valero, if history tells us anything then look no further than Carlos Monzon or Randy Turpin, both remembered for their in ring exploits more than anything else.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 02 Sep 2011, 9:53 pm

Generally that's the case, but it's not carved in stone. Same with Tyson; to boxing fans he's known for his career, but to the general public he's just as well known for a catalogue of misdemeanors.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 03 Sep 2011, 7:37 pm

i think in this time of forums, tv shows such as 24 7 and team 360 and youtube todays boxers will remembered in much more detail, especially someone such as floyd, who a lot of people dont like, and will look for excuses to take away his legacy.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down