The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Championships on TV?

+11
coxy0001
Soldier_Of_Fortune
captain carrantuohil
Jukebox Timebomb
HumanWindmill
6oldenbhoy
The Galveston Giant
Scottrf
Liam_Main
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Billy Shears
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

World Championships on TV? Empty World Championships on TV?

Post by Billy Shears Fri 09 Sep 2011, 2:40 pm

Alright fellas, just wondering if anyone had any information re: the World Championships television coverage.

Don't visit too often, so apologies if it has already been covered.

Thanks

Billy Shears

Back to top Go down

World Championships on TV? Empty Re: World Championships on TV?

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 09 Sep 2011, 2:43 pm

Not seen anything when do they start?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Shears Fri 09 Sep 2011, 2:51 pm

22nd September - 10 October

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/14854166.stm

BBC don't mention coverage there, so I wouldn't have thought they'd be broadcasting it, unfotunately.

Billy Shears

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 09 Sep 2011, 2:55 pm

We might get lucky and Sky will pick it up or Eurosport but I'm not holding out much hope.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 09 Sep 2011, 3:33 pm

Eurosport I would say the most likely to show it.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:11 am

BoxNation.

Quarters 5th Oct.
Semis 7th.
Finals 8th

Draw: http://www.aiba.org/en-US/2011/2011WorldBoxingChampionships.aspx

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:12 am

Yeah Boxnation has it.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:20 am

49kg: Charlie Edwards v Junior Zarate (Argentina) - last 64

52kg: Khalid Yafai - bye into last 32 (will box Ghana or Japan)

52kg: Andrew Selby v Hesham Abdelaal (Egypt) - last 64

56kg: Luke Campbell v Rahim Najafov (Azerbaijan) - last 64

56kg: Sean McGoldrick v Furkhan Memis (Turkey) - last 64

60kg: Martin Ward v Dragos Marin (Romania) - last 64

64kg: Tom Stalker v Yoelvis Hernandez (Venezuela) - last 64

64kg: Josh Taylor v Daniyar Yeleussinov (Kazakhstan) - last 64

64kg: Chris Jenkins (Wales) v Masatsugu Kawachi (Japan) - last 64

69kg: Fred Evans v Ricky Murphy (New Zealand) - last 64

69kg: Scott Cardle v Alexis Vastine (France) - last 64

75kg: Anthony Ogogo v Sung Woo (Korea) - last 64

91kg: Simon Vallily - bye into last 32 (will box Argentina or Canada)

91+kg: Anthony Joshua v Tariq Abdul Haq (Trinidad) - last 64

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 26 Sep 2011, 7:40 pm

Charlie Edwards was the only GB or Irish competitor to box today. Lost by a couple of points to an Argentinian. From what I read it was a close fight, feel for the kid.

Luke Campbell and Andrew Selby are fighting tomorrow for England and Wales respectively, whilst Michael Conlon is first to fight for the Irish.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 27 Sep 2011, 1:36 pm

Luke Campbell just won 17:7 against a home boxer. Great win under the circumstances. Selby and Conlon are on in the next session.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:19 pm

Andrew Selby defeated his Egyptian opponent 28-16.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 27 Sep 2011, 4:26 pm

Irish flyweight Michael Conlan defeated his Moldovian opponent 25:12. Great win for him against the European bronze medalist.

Ever get that feeling you're talking to yourself 6oldenbhoy?

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 27 Sep 2011, 4:29 pm

Na, appreciate the updates, cheers.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:07 pm

Welsh Bantamweight Sean McGoldrick narrowly loses 12-10 to his Turkish rival. He's the only GB or Irish fighter on today.

So far Team GB have won two, lost two. Ireland have won their only contest thus far.

Fred Evans of Wales, Scott Cardle of England and Roy Sheehan of Ireland fight in the Welterweight opening round tomorrow. Anthony Joshua up against a fellow from Trinidad in the Super Heavies.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:14 pm

Thanks very much for these, 6oldenbhoy.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:15 pm

Luke Campbell is on an impressive run isn't he? Think I heard Buncey say 35-1 or something.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:24 pm

He really is, he was out for almost a year with a tendon injury, hence his low world ranking. Lost to a Turkish fighter in the Euros in June but definitely GB's best hope for a gold in 2012.

He knocked out the seeded fighter in his first round bout, so with his talent should be at least looking to get to the quarter finals at the very least.

Anyone seen the kerfuffle with regards to the seeding? Bit of a joke all the Azeri fighters are seeded when a few haven't even fought at the weight. I'm not complaining though, seven Irish fighters have been seeded.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:58 pm

Has the massive corruption of the championships had a thread on here yet? It's disgusting.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:37 am

Irish Welterweight Roy Sheehan wins his opening bout 15-10 against his Bahamian opponent. He was 6/5 with Skybet which was basically free money (I don't gamble though). Next up for him is either a Croatian or a chap from Chinese Taipei.

I have no idea when any of the GB fighters are on, the AIBA website is useless. I'll endeavor to find out though.

Fred Evans should be comfortable enough against his opponent from New Zealand. Scott Cardle is up against it. His French opponent Vastine is the 6th seed and Bronze medalist at Beijing.

Anthony Joshua is up against a fellow from Trinidad in the Super Heavies. As you can expect, I have no idea whats he's like, but seeing as Trinidad has never been a boxing stronghold he should advance to the next round.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 29 Sep 2011, 12:35 pm

Fred Evans, the European Champion from Wales, is comfortably through to the next round. He defeated his opponent 21-6 to advance to the next round. Both he and Sheehan are on the same side of the draw, so a GB vs Ireland bout for a medal could be on the cards, provided both win their next two bouts.

AIBA website has gone into meltdown. They are making up bouts now. I have no idea whats going on. They have two Americans in the Welterweight division, Javier Molina is one, and I'm pretty sure he has turned pro. Also have two Gambians. According to the website, Cardle is not entered in the tournament and his opponent is scheduled to face one of these Gambians.

With all the backhands they are getting from the Azeri's, surely a little could go into the maintenance of their website.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 29 Sep 2011, 3:06 pm

Scott Cardle bows out. Defeated 22:14 by the Frenchman Vastine. Tough draw for him.

Last up for GB is Joshua.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 29 Sep 2011, 4:06 pm

Anthony Joshua stops his opponent in the final round. He was 3-2 down after the first but turned that round to lead 8-7 going into the last.

After today, GB have won four lost three. Ireland have won both contests.

Tomorrow sees Tom Stalker of England, Josh Taylor of Scotland, Chris Jenkins of Wales and Ray Moylette of Ireland in action in the Light Welterweight division. If Taylor and Jenkins both triumph they will face each other in the next round.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 29 Sep 2011, 6:55 pm

Well done, 6oldenbhoy. I'd like to see a re-run of Stalker-Moylette at some stage, I must say. Might Stalker have adjusted to the weight sufficiently to gain revenge? Would Moylette always know just a little too much? Good fighters, both of them.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:15 pm

They are seeded to meet each other at the quarterfinals. If they were to meet again, I would have to back Moylette. Just think his all action style would be too much. The Europeans in June was the first time either had fought at Light Welter if my memory serves me and I just struggle to see Stalker victorious after such a comprehensive victory last time.

In saying that, I really believe Moylette and Joe Ward the Irish Lightheavy could be two of the stars of this tournament, so I might not be giving the most balanced analysis.

But hopefully the do meet at the QFs as both will be guaranteed places at 2012 and the winner would advance to the semis.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:18 am

Tom Stalker wins his first round bout against his Venezuelan opponent 17-10. It was 4 all after the first round but Stalker pulled away in the final two rounds.

However the big shock is Roniel Iglesias, the Cuban number one seed, bows out to a Ukrainian on count back after the scores were tied 19 apiece. Opens the top half of the draw wide open for Stalker and the Irishman Moylette, who is now the highest seed in that part of the draw.

Up next is Scotland's sole competitor, Josh Taylor. Up against it though, as he is facing a chap from Kazakhstan.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:40 am

You would hope, therefore, that Stalker and Moylette would be able to take their appointed places in the quarters and that the winner of their showdown would have a leading chance of winning the thing outright.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:50 am

You would, the only potential problem I can see is a Russian Stalker is scheduled to face in the last 16. Unseeded, but I would never underestimate any Russian fighter.

But with Stalker being a silver medalist and indeed only losing to Moylette in the final, he should fancy his chances of reaching the Quarter Finals.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:50 pm

Ray Moylette, the Irish European Champion progresses to the next round. He was down, 5-4 after the first and 8-7 after the second. Eventually turned it around and was the victor 16-11.

He will face an Indian in his next contest. Interestingly, the Chinese light Welter defeated his American opponent 20-5. He could be a real dark horse.

That keeps Ireland's winning streak , three victories from three contests.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 30 Sep 2011, 1:02 pm

Are you watching it?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 30 Sep 2011, 1:07 pm

No mate, using AIBA website (when its working). Also following a few people on twitter who are there. Not ideal, but I'll have to make do until the Quarter Finals. Hope there is a good few GB and Irish boxers left by then though.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:51 pm

Welsh Light Welter Chris Jenkins is out, losing 17-13 to a fellow from Japan.

Josh Taylor on now.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:10 pm

Josh Taylor loses 11-5. Not a great day for GB, one win and two losses.

Overall GB have won five, lost five. Ireland have won all three.

Tomorrow sees Joseph Ward of England, Joe Cordina of Wales and David Joyce (seeded 7th) of Ireland fight in the Lightweight category. Anthony Ogogo of England and Darren O'Neill (seeded 8th) of Ireland fight in the middleweight division.

Ward is in a really tough side of the draw. A potential opponent in a few bouts is Lomachenko, the class act at Beijing. Cordina faces the German 5th seed. Ogogo faces a Korean.

Joyce faces an Iranian, and O'Neill faces a Norwegian.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 01 Oct 2011, 12:11 pm

Martin Ward progresses to the next round with a 15-7 victory over his Romanian opponent. He faces a Brazilian in the next round. Joe Cordina goes down 13-7 to the German. Wales left with two boxers going into the last 32.

Another great day for Ireland. Darren O'Neill, seeded 8th, progresses with a 15-6 victory over his opponent. David Joyce also progressed with a win over his Iranian opponent. That means every Irish fighter has made the last 32 though 5 had byes.

Last up today is Anthony Ogogo for GB.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 01 Oct 2011, 5:03 pm

Anthony Ogogo progresses after a 17-7 victory over his korean opponent.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 01 Oct 2011, 6:43 pm

A lot of action tomorrow sees last 16 berths decided in 5 of the weight classes.

In the flyweight division, Khalid Yafei has his first bout against a Japanese fighter. Andrew Selby faces a Georgian boxer. Both should advance comfortably enough. Michael Conlan of Ireland faces a tough bout against the Kazakh representative. He should be buoyed by his comprehensive victory in the last round.

In the Light Welter division, Tom Stalker should have far too much for his opponent from Burkina Faso. Ray Moylette of Ireland faces a tougher draw against an Indian opponent. He will need to start faster than he did against his last opponent.

Welterweight sees Fred Evans face a Korean for a last 16 place and Roy Sheehan of Ireland against a Croatian. Both should be looking to to advance to the last 16.

Light Heavy sees Joe Ward from Ireland open his account against a chap from Tajikistan. Ward should qualify comfortably. GB did not send a representative in this weight.

Finally, in the Super Heavy division Anthony Joshua faces a Canadian and Con Sheehan fights also fights a fellow from Tajikistan. I'll be honest here and say I have no idea who should qualify. My knowledge of Canadian or Tajikistani (sp?) Super Heavies isn't extensive, but best of luck to both of them.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun 02 Oct 2011, 12:16 pm

Quick update, Khalid Yafei progresses after a 28-16 win, as does Andrew Selby 26-7. Tom Stalker wins 13-2. All three are just one victory from Olympic qualification. Yafei and Selby would have to have a box off for the Olympic spot though.

The big shock of the day is the exit of Ray Moylette of Ireland. Well beaten by Commonwealth Gold medallist Kumar of India. He has been well below his best in this tournament. Stalker is now the highest seed left in that side of the draw.. He is the first Irish man to lose in the tournament.

Earlier Michael Conlan recorded a 18-17 victory over his opponent. Brilliant win for him. If he upsets the French number two seed in the next round, he will qualify for the Olympics.

Off to watch the Football, I'll update later on if I can.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun 02 Oct 2011, 9:41 pm

Great day today for GB, all 5 boxers progressed to the last 16. All bar Super Heavy Joshua are just one fight from Olympic qualification. Joshua must win his next two to qualify.

Ireland had an almost perfect day, Ray Moylette the only fighter not to progress. The four others all progress to the last 16 and again one win away from qualification, bar the Super Heavy Con Sheehan.

Tomorrow four GB fighters and five Irish fighters duel for a place in the last 16.

At light Fly, Former European and Current Commonwealth champion Paddy Barnes fights a Filipino. If successful it looks like he will face current Olympic Champion Zou Shimming for a quarter final berth. GB's Charlie Edwards was eliminated in the first round.

At Bantamweight, Luke Campbell faces a Romanian. John Joe Nevin of Ireland faces an Indian boxer. Both are class acts and should be favourites to go through.

At Lighweight, Martin Ward faces a fighter from Brazil. If he wins, Lomachenko awaits. Joyce of Ireland faces an Afghan. It should be comfortable victory for him.

Middleweight sees Anthony Ogogo faces a Russian. Any Russian is a tough draw so he faces an uphill battle. Darren O'Neill faces an Egyptian, bt as he's been seeded 8th, he should progress.

At Heavy Simon Vallily faces a Canadian. Kenny Egan from Ireland faces a Cuban in his first international bout in this weight. massive ask for him to progress.

Good Luck to all of them.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 02 Oct 2011, 9:43 pm

How is the Cuban Roniel Iglesiais doing?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun 02 Oct 2011, 9:54 pm

He's out mate. Lost his first bout on countback to a Ukrainian.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 02 Oct 2011, 9:59 pm

That's a shock he's supposed to be the best boxer in the amateur game. Watched some of his stuff on youtube and he looked amazing.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun 02 Oct 2011, 10:04 pm

Hard to look past Lomachenko for that accolade. The guy is a serious class act. He's had to move up to lightweight since they abolished the featherweight division, but I don't think the extra Kilos will affect him.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 03 Oct 2011, 1:26 pm

Last 16 berths in the Light-Flyweight, Flyweight and Middleweight have been decided.

The shock of the day for me is Anthony Ogogo. He has defeated the 2010 European champion from Russia 12-11. I'll hold me hands up and say that I had written him off. Great win, and faces a Brazilian for an Olympic place. Could this be the start of another James DeGale moment?

Martin Ward lost by a point to his Brazilian opponent going down 21-20, meaning the qualifier in March in Turkey is his last chance if he wants to fight in front of his home crowd.

Mixed day so far for Ireland. Belfast Light flyweight, Olympic Bronze medalist, European Champion and Commonwealth Champion, Paddy Barnes is out, losing 20:12 to a Filipino. Its was Barnes' first international contest this year due to injury and so is not too disheartened.

David Oliver Joyce, the Irish Lightweight, progresses to the last 16 with a comprehensive 26-13 win over his Afghan opponent. Seeded 7th, he was scheduled to face Selimov the Russian 2nd seed in the quarter finals. However Selimov was defeated in the first round, giving Joyce a great chance of winning a medal now.

Darren O'Neill has progressed to the last 16 of the Middleweight division. Darren was scheduled to face the number one seed from Kazakhstan in the quarterfinals, meaning the draw has opened up for him. A potential semi-final bout with Ogogo is a possibliity provided they both keep winning.

For anyone who is interested, an Irish journalist out in Baku is uploading interviews with the Irish Boxers straight after contests. You can listen to them via this link:

http://soundcloud.com/paul-mcdermott-isc/tracks

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 03 Oct 2011, 4:12 pm

Luke Campbell progresses To the last 16. He was victorious 17:7. All reports are saying he looks in excellent form.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 03 Oct 2011, 4:35 pm

Simon Vallily wins as his opponent doesn't show up. Although its good to progress as easily as possible. Vallily is yet to throw a punch and there is always the risk of becoming a little rusty.

Good day all in all for GB with three wins from four.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 03 Oct 2011, 6:12 pm

John Joe Nevin defeats his Indian opponent 21-14 to progress to the last 16. However. Kenny Egan retires against his Cuban opponent in the third round. He was trailing 30-12 at the point of retirement and taking some heavy shots. Always hard when stepping up in weight, even more so at the higher weights.

All eight GB fighters and the seven remaining Irishmen fight for places in the quarter finals. Any boxer bar the Heavies and Super Heavies will qualify for the Olympics with a victory. Some really intriguing match-ups as well.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 04 Oct 2011, 9:31 am

Tom Stalker is the first GB or Irish boxer to qualify for the Olympics. Defeated his Russian opponent 17-9. Brilliant performance from him. He really could win this tournament out right. He is the highest seed left in the top half of the draw.

Last up in this Session is Joe Ward of Ireland. A win and the teenager is going to London.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 04 Oct 2011, 10:51 am

Big shock is Joe Ward is out, lost on countback after the scores were tied 15-15. Interestingly, in an interview with him he said that 4 of the judges had him up and 1 had him down. Really big blow for Ireland. I have a feeling that this will be a tough day for the Irish.

Interesting statistic, GB and Cuba are the only teams with 8 boxers left. China and Ukraine 7, Russia Ireland and Kazakhstan 6. Great performance from GB.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 04 Oct 2011, 11:36 am

Darren O'Neill beats his Bulgarian opponent 19-12 to advance to the Quarter Finals. Brilliant for him. He faces an unseeded Japanese fighter for a place in the semi finals.

Luke Campbell wins 11-9. Olympics for him as well. Team GB have been outstanding in this tournament.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 04 Oct 2011, 12:10 pm

John Joe Nevin wins on countback. Irish Bantam joins Campbell in the last eight.

Anthony Ogogo loses out to Brazilian 17-12. Bad luck for him.

Last up in this session is Simon Vallily.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 04 Oct 2011, 1:52 pm

Anymore updates 6oldenbhoy? Nice one for the updates. Keep them comin!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next