The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Championships on TV?

+11
coxy0001
Soldier_Of_Fortune
captain carrantuohil
Jukebox Timebomb
HumanWindmill
6oldenbhoy
The Galveston Giant
Scottrf
Liam_Main
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Billy Shears
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

World Championships on TV? - Page 3 Empty World Championships on TV?

Post by Billy Shears Fri 09 Sep 2011, 2:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

Alright fellas, just wondering if anyone had any information re: the World Championships television coverage.

Don't visit too often, so apologies if it has already been covered.

Thanks

Billy Shears

Back to top Go down

World Championships on TV? - Page 3 Empty Re: World Championships on TV?

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 07 Oct 2011, 5:18 pm

Extraordinary team performance. Along with Andy Flower, Juergen Grobler and Dave Brailsford, McCracken must be one of the most successful coaches operating in any sport in Britain today.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 07 Oct 2011, 7:02 pm

Yes he is. From what I remember, there was a bit of an uproar when Edwards lost the job. I think he laid a lot of the groundwork and McCracken has followed on from that.

But it also goes without saying that that the boxers themselves deserve a lot of credit as well. Guys like Joshua have come on leaps and bounds in the past few months which shows the work they have put in. Even guys like Ogogo, who I had written off previously, came within a whisker or qualifying. Add in others like Stalker, who is the epitome of hard work and dedication and you have a team who should be very successful at 2012.

On a side note, I've re-watched the Campbell Nevin fight and I think Campbell is one lucky boy to be progressing. I'm still at a loss as to how it was scored even. Would love to see the judges scorecards.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 08 Oct 2011, 12:18 pm

Luke Campbell goes down 14-10 to his Cuban opponent. The guy really was a class act so Luke shouldn't be too disheartened.

Andrew Selby also gets silver. Didn't see this one, however all reports say it was close. The Russian opponent won by a margin of 14-13.

Fight of the day so far is the Light Welterweight contest between The Ukrainian and The Brazilian. Both decided after the first round to slug it out. I've seen 12 round professional fights with less punches thrown. The Brazilian won 26-23, though I thought the Ukrainian had nicked it. The Brazilian also should have been warned for repeatedly throwing himself to the floor. Really was a great scrap though.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 08 Oct 2011, 12:31 pm

Both Campbell and Selby started too slowly, sadly - at this level, it's so tough to give away a significant lead to really good fighters. I feel slightly the sorrier for Selby, whose magnificent performance hasn't even guaranteed him the GB slot for London. I guess he knew the score beforehand, and Yafei is an excellent flyweight himself, but on any rational evaluation, Selby thoroughly deserves to be an Olympian in 2012. He and Campbell are major gold medal chances next year, whereas I see Yafei more as bronze medal material at best. Still, nice problem to have if you're a selector, I suppose.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 08 Oct 2011, 2:06 pm

Anthony Joshua goes down 22-21. Close fight that could have gone either way in my opinion. A few people on twitter are saying it was a home decision, but I couldn't really complain with the result.

Overall the winners and runners up in each division were:

Light Flyweight: Winner: Zou (China) Runner up: Shin (Korea)

Flyweight: Winner: Aloyan (Russia) Runner up: Selby (Wales)

Bantamweight: Winner: Alvarez (Cuba) Runner up: Campbell (England)

Lightweight: Winner: Lomachenko (Ukraine) Runner up: Lopez (Cuba)

Light Welterweight: Winner: Lopes (Brazil) Runner up: Berinchyk (Ukraine)

Welterweight: Winner: Shelestyuk (Ukraine) Runner up: Sapiyev (Kazakhstan)

Middleweight Winner: Khytrov (Ukraine) Runner up: Murata (Japan)

Light Heavyweight: De La Cruz (Cuba) Runner up: Niyazymbetov (Kazakhstan)

Heavyweight: Usyk (Ukraine) Runner up: Mammadov (Azerbaijan)

Super Heavyweight: Majidov (Azerbaijan) Runner up: Joshua (England)

Overall I thought it was a great tournament. Beforehand, I had my doubts with the scandal that broke days before, but on the most part thought the judging was fair, as was the refereeing of the contests.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 08 Oct 2011, 2:31 pm

Incidentally, 6oldenbhoy, many thanks for your stalwart work in keeping us all up to date on this most important of amateur tournaments. It's been greatly appreciated, both as something of a running commentary and as a guide to how it will affect the London Olympics next year. Splendid stuff.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 08 Oct 2011, 2:46 pm

Cheers for keeping us up to date mate. The Cubans only had 2 winners and a runner up they won't be happy with that. This Cuban team is supposedly the strongest in a long time.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 08 Oct 2011, 2:53 pm

Not a problem, thoroughly enjoyed the tournament, and it really has whetted my appetite for the Olympics next year.

The next qualification tournament should be a interesting, plenty of spots left at some weights, and next to none at others.

Did you watch the Joshua fight captain carrantuohil? What were your thoughts on the verdict? Do you think he deserved it or do you think the better man won?

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 08 Oct 2011, 3:03 pm

Missed it, unfortunately, 6oldenbhoy. From what I can gather, it was a toss-up on the flow of the fight. Unlike Campbell and Selby, Joshua made a really good start, I read, but it is in the latter rounds especially that a home crowd can give heart to a fighter. No real complaints, I don't think - I'm guessing that Joshua's relative inexperience may have been the key.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 08 Oct 2011, 4:28 pm

It's repeated later on Boxnation if you want to see it. Really was a good scrap. Joshua far exceeded everybody's expectations. Looking really good for GB.

Agree with your point on Yafai He was did well to reach the last eight, and losing to Warren is no disgrace. It can't be ignored how decisively he lost to Conlon of Ireland in the First round of the Europeans though. I think it would be harsh on Selby to have a box off when he has shown when it counts that he is the superior of the two.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 08 Oct 2011, 6:20 pm

I just hope these boys remain amateur for the olympics then decide to go pro, if they do well in the olympics there will be a lot of buzz around these lot.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 11 Oct 2011, 7:25 pm

Just a quick update on the remaining Olympic spots available at the last qualifier in April.

At Light Flyweight, there are 5 spots available for Charlie Edwards and Paddy Barnes. Making the semi's or losing to the eventual winner in the quarter finals will suffice.

Flyweight and Bantamweight both have three spots left, but both GB and Ireland qualified boxers in this division.

Lightweight has five spots available for Ward or Weaver of GB and Joyce of Ireland. Same scenario as the Light Fly division.

Lightwelter has only one place remaining so it will be a struggle for Irelands representative, probably Ray Moylette. He is the current European Champion though so should take heart from the fact that he can beat anyone in Europe on his day. Tom Stalker of GB has already qualified in this division.

Fred Evans of Wales has already qualified in the Welterweight division, but there are only two spots available for Irelands representative, again most probably Roy Sheehan. Needs to make the final to qualify.

Anthony Ogogo faces the toughest task of anyone to qualify. There is only one remaining spot in the middleweight division, so he needs to win the tournament to go through. Worryingly, for him though is there is talk the tournament will be moved to Moscow from Ankara. The Russian middleweight was defeated by Ogogo in Baku, however it's a completely different prospect facing a Russian in his backyard.

At Light Heavy, there are five remaining spots. I fully expect Joe Ward of Ireland to take one, if not win the tournament. Team GB did not send a boxer in this division. I'm not sure in Mbwakongo (sp) was injured, or GB just didn't fancy his chances in Baku.

Two spots available at Heavy, but I dont fancy Vallily or Egan's chances to qualify either. Both would need to make the final.

Final at Super Heavy, Anthony Joshua has qualified for GB. There are two spots remaining for Con Sheehan meaning he would have to make the final. Could be a struggle for him.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3