The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

could be the most one sided final in US open history

+21
Tenez
Danny_1982
barrystar
Tom_____
HM Murdock
luciusmann
Super D Boon
lydian
Faust
JuliusHMarx
break_in_the_fifth
FedsFan
Leff
sportslover
Josiah Maiestas
czaree
Manojchandra
yloponom68
ryan86
kemet
wow
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

could be the most one sided final in US open history Empty could be the most one sided final in US open history

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep 2011, 2:12 am

Lucky Nadal will face a confident Djoko in another Grand slam final. Nadal has been a mute spectator in previous 5 meetings against Djoko this year. With Djoko having Nadal's number and owning him recently we might be heading for the most one sided US open final in the history.

Djoko is doing a great service to the game of tennis.

Djoko 2011 US open champion.

wow

Back to top Go down

could be the most one sided final in US open history Empty Re: could be the most one sided final in US open history

Post by kemet Sun 11 Sep 2011, 2:13 am

I wouldn't count Rafa out if I were you...

kemet

Back to top Go down

could be the most one sided final in US open history Empty Re: could be the most one sided final in US open history

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep 2011, 2:14 am

Rafa is like a pigeon shown a blow torch in the night. He hasn't got an iota of chance against Djoko.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 2:26 am

I think Nadal will do better than Rosewall in 1972.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Sun 11 Sep 2011, 3:55 am

"Nadal has been a mute spectator in previous 5 meetings against Djoko this year."

Rather a hyperbolic statement, indeed.

IW - N winning that match, and then serve let him down....mute spectating that one....

A 3rd set TB in the Miami final....hmmm.....yeah, mute spectating again...

SW19 - took third set 6-1....not bad for a spectator...

Don't get me wrong, Djokovic is in Nadal's head at this point, and the two clay court losses were for me more significant because they were str8 set wins for D. Usually with clay underfoot, Nadal becomes an even better "big point" player than that for which he has already been renowned.

Nadal only played 27 minutes less than Djokovic, though I think Djokovic's match will have taken more out, when considering the drama, tension and nerves invovled. It was an historic match, even more so, as it mimicked last year's escape from two match points, though this year's was from double match point down!

Having won all five encounters this year, and with hardcourts being Djokovic's best surface, one could expect Djokovic to be the favourite in this one, however don't be foolish in EXPECTING Nadal to go out there and not to give his utmost. Should he do so, and be the runner up, congrats to Djokovic - helluva year! But neither resultis a foregone conclusion at this point.

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by Manojchandra Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:43 am

Agree with above post. I think Rafa in 4 or 5 tight sets.

Manojchandra

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep 2011, 9:20 am

yplonom, this post is specifically written for a rude poster on this forum. I remember the IW tie breaker, doesn't it put Nadal too in the meantally weaker opponent same like Federer.
Regarding the result, I think Murray have taken out bit of juice from Nadal in last 2 sets of the match and Nadal being a physical player will feel that when playing against Novak.

Novak has so much confidence against Nadal that even if he is 2 sets down agains thim he will pull it off. Novak in easy 3 or 4, very similar to WImby drubbing.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Sep 2011, 9:55 am

wow wrote:yplonom, this post is specifically written for a rude poster on this forum.
And this is helping how exactly?
https://www.606v2.com/t13547-tennis-section-please-read

Back to top Go down

Post by czaree Sun 11 Sep 2011, 10:32 am

Manojchandra wrote:Agree with above post. I think Rafa in 4 or 5 tight sets.

Djokovic has been given a reprieve and he should win in 3 or 4 sets. Nadal has no weapons to hurt Djoko V.2.

czaree

Back to top Go down

Post by Manojchandra Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:29 am

I honestly have no axe to grind with anyone or anything. I wish I had money to spare.

Manojchandra

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:37 am

In last 9 matches Djoko has beaten Nadal 8 times. Only time he lost when he was tired. What does it tell you guys?

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:50 am

The most one sided....you say that but I don't see Djokovic playing any superb tennis that he was showing a few months ago, his body language from Tipsarevic and Federer matches were not what I expected from a confident champion..
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:54 am

Well Tipsy knows Djoko inside out, Dolg would have beaten Nadal and Fed is the only player at present who can beat Djoko.
Nadal does not have any answers to Djoko's game. Like I said before that he is a sitting duck. He got away against Murray by starting to moonball towards the end whereas Djoko will just thrash those moonballs and make him run and run to all corners.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:10 pm

Nadal simply does not know as how to play Djoko. Problem is that Nadal only knows to play one way which is stand at the baseline, retrieve and accept the opponent to make an error. Djoko does not do that and he also targets his backhand side better than any other player. Thirdly with DJoko's double handed strong backhand Nadal's moonballing is neutralised which is the biggest weapon he has got.

The out come will be similar to Wimby with the only difference is that it is going to look very very bad for Nadal.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:13 pm

"could be the most one sided final in US open history"

lol

Maybe if it was Djokovic against a player outside the top fifty perhaps!, but at least show some respect for a player that could well go down in history as the greatest of all time.

If Federer hadn't lost his match points and won, then would this also apply 🤦

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:23 pm

Nole went two sets down to Fed.
If he does that against Rafa, the final is Rafa's for the taking. (imo)

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:26 pm

Respect?

Nadal has lost 8 times out of 9 against Djoko. What does that tell you?

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:29 pm

SL, what do you think Nadal has to do to win against Djoko?

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:30 pm

lol

Maybe if it was Djokovic against a player outside the top fifty perhaps!, but at least show some respect for a player that could well go down in history as the greatest of all time.
^^ That.

Just because Djokovic has constantly been victorious over Nadal this season; doesn't mean he's bound to get the same result again especially considering he's only dropped 1 set up to this point...
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:35 pm

wow wrote:SL, what do you think Nadal has to do to win against Djoko?

If he plays the way he has in his last two matches then there is no reason why he cant.

Its that simple!

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:36 pm

And who were his opponents so far
Golubev- he was on a losing streak of 18 games and in a chance of eclipsing Vince Spadea and Robert Dee
Mahut- a player in his prime
Giles Muller- the player has some pedigree and achievments to his name
Roddick- was at his peak form and balsting serves at 155mph
Andy Murray- showed that how vulnerable Nadal is but could not do it when needed.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:38 pm

sportslover wrote:
wow wrote:SL, what do you think Nadal has to do to win against Djoko?

If he plays the way he has in his last two matches then there is no reason why he cant.

Its that simple!

That's not enough when playing Djoko, first Roddick was injured and was hardly at his near best.
Second Andy only started his match in the third set.
Third Djoko nullifies loopy moonball on backhand side.
Fourth Djoko will not let Nadal whip his forehand from backhand corner.
Fifth Djoko is a much better returner than anyone who Nadal has played till now.
Sixth Djoko is a better retriever than Nadal himself which hurts him the most. Losing in a rally affects Nadal's psyche more than anything else does.

Last edited by wow on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:39 pm

Its that simple!
Now your making the mistake that Djokovic is on the same sort of level as your Cincinnatti boy; do you really think Novak will serve as badly, or have as poor a mentality as Murray does???

You'll need to stop rating Murray alongside these 3 players before you can see sense...
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 11 Sep 2011, 4:16 pm

I was at Ashe yesterday in a box next to the commentators box and had nice view. It was a thrilling match, but not among the best for the quality of play. First and fifth sets were very good, but there was some listless play in the remaining. Roger's service returns lacked confidence and conviction. Novak's gutsy service return at 3-5, 15-40, was not the only point that decided the result. Don't forget Roger served a double-fault to lose that game and was hopelessly shaky in the next game on his own serve.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Sun 11 Sep 2011, 4:29 pm

wow wrote:Lucky Nadal will face a confident Djoko in another Grand slam final. Nadal has been a mute spectator in previous 5 meetings against Djoko this year. With Djoko having Nadal's number and owning him recently we might be heading for the most one sided US open final in the history.

Djoko is doing a great service to the game of tennis.

Djoko 2011 US open champion.

I have a strong feeling Nadal WILL WIN this time around. Law of probabilities suggests that to me. Plus Djoko has not been playing too well in the last few matches. Slow to start against Federer nearly knocked him out. Slow to start against Nadal and you are done for. Nadal has a lot to prove and will, I think, come out in ruthless form.
Djoko is expected to win it now by all the pundits which is why I think he will feel the pressure unlike at Wimbledon. The only thing in Djoko's favour is he may have mentally got to Nadal just as Nadal has got to Fed which may be key here. That said, AA is slower this year so will help Nadal.

Its amazing how the most ardent of Fed haters were rooting for Federer to pull through yesterday so that Nadal will breeze through to another title!

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep 2011, 4:55 pm

Fedsfan I disagree here as I did state 5 reasons earlier as why nadal will lose and that too easily.
Tactically there is nothing much he can do. In one interview he is saying that he has to play like the way he played in 2010 final but the problem is the djoko of 2010 is much much different than djoko of 2011.

Also Nadal says that he knows what tactics to be applied but he is not sure that if he will be able to do it.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sun 11 Sep 2011, 5:07 pm

Leff wrote:I was at Ashe yesterday in a box next to the commentators box and had nice view. It was a thrilling match, but not among the best for the quality of play. First and fifth sets were very good, but there was some listless play in the remaining. Roger's service returns lacked confidence and conviction. Novak's gutsy service return at 3-5, 15-40, was not the only point that decided the result. Don't forget Roger served a double-fault to lose that game and was hopelessly shaky in the next game on his own serve.

Point well taken. Novak breaking Roger in the next game is what ultimately proved to be decisive.

Roger has to realize that Novak has never won the US Open and it is the one title that he craves. Remember, unlike the Aussie Open and Wimbledon, he has been a losing finalist twice in this event.

He is determined to give himself another chance and Roger simply could not match that intensity when it mattered.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 11 Sep 2011, 5:33 pm

kemet wrote:

He is determined to give himself another chance and Roger simply could not match that intensity when it mattered.

Yes, Novak looks very determined. Rafa has to be aggressive with his shots, especially corner-to-corner shots. Rafa's top-spun shots that land on the opponent's backhand baseline often trouble Roger, but not Novak. Rafa must also serve at his best because Novak is an excellent returner and can pounce on the second serve. Going by recent head-to-head results, one would be tempted to pick Novak, but Rafa is a proud man who is capable of raising his game when it matters. I don't think it will be a straight-set win for Novak. This will be a good match. I hope so because I am delaying my trip by a day and skipping work for this match.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep 2011, 5:43 pm

Rafa has been clueless against Djoko. He was better placed to beat Djoko at Wimby rather than at Flushing Meadows. It is like whatever he tries Djoko has an answer for that. Djoko heads last 10 matches by 8-2. It is too big of advantage.

Also Rafa only knows to play one way so how he can adapt his game to beat djoko will be difficult to say or see.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:05 pm

wow wrote:
Also Rafa only knows to play one way so how he can adapt his game to beat djoko will be difficult to say or see.

We will have to wait and see if Rafa is capable of changing tactics. His regular tactic of 2-3 chopped returns followed by one with minimal chop has not been productive as Novak adapts very well. Perhaps changing length might be more helpful. I think Rafa needs to be aggressive in terms of finishing rallies.

I must now begin my train ride from Manhattan to Flushing. Women's final is expected to be a more one-sided affair than the men's final.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:13 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/14871410.stm
You might not be able to watch this link but Djoko says that his game is good enough to beat Nadal. I don't remember him saying the same thing before the match with Fed.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:21 pm

I am able to watch the video. Djoko is a savvy user of the microphone. Not one of the strengths of Rafa. When the match starts, that's not what believes though.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep 2011, 6:31 pm

I thought BBC videos were only for UK users. Yes, agreed that Djoko is a far flashing personality than Fed and Nadal. Well, I am of believe that he is going to make short work of rafa but it will only be known come tomorrow.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:24 pm

Nadal owned Federer much worse at FO 2008 than Djokovic owned Nadal at Wimbledon this year yet their following meeting still turned out to be considered epic. Though I want Djokovic to win i don't think it is a foregone conclusion at all.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:43 pm

Well nadal is no federer Smile

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:47 pm

you don't have to tell me Whistle

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:49 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:you don't have to tell me Whistle
Why getting so upset? You were the one who started comparison.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:52 pm

wasn't getting upset was just joking and subtly trying to hint at my preference of the two.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:53 pm

okay, that's cool. Apologies I misinterpreted the whistle Smile

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:54 pm

yeah I had doubts over whether it was the best choice of smiley in this instance

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:56 pm

What does the whistle smiley mean anyway?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:56 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:What does the whistle smiley mean anyway?
When I use it, it's usually after a tongue in cheek comment.

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 11 Sep 2011, 8:01 pm

My intention was to use it to show i was agreeing with something controversial and was aware that it was so. Perhaps though in hindsight with the confusion this has caused another choice would have conveyed this better.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Sun 11 Sep 2011, 8:21 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:Nadal owned Federer much worse at FO 2008 than Djokovic owned Nadal at Wimbledon this year yet their following meeting still turned out to be considered epic. Though I want Djokovic to win i don't think it is a foregone conclusion at all.

Exactly, couldn't agree more. H2H means nothing. Past results mean nothing. Each match is different as are the players on the day. Djoko could wake up sore this morning and not be 100% or vice versa with Nadal which could turn the match. A player may be a little out of sorts and thats all you need.

I too want Djoko to win as that would be some story as he was at double match point in the semis and roared to the championship. I think Nadal may have peaked against Muller, Roddick and Murray whereas Djoko has yet to. He has had the tougher draw compared to Nadal so maybe all those matches will bring extra confidence.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Faust Sun 11 Sep 2011, 8:40 pm

Wow yesterday you wrote that "A more versatile and talented Andy to win tomorrow".Now you do not only predict a djokovic win but possibly
the most one sided final in US open history!!!
Can it happen? Yes! But Nadal beating Djoko can happen also.Those are
two champions playing against each other.A lot of things can happen.

Faust

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep 2011, 8:42 pm

Faust wrote:Wow yesterday you wrote that "A more versatile and talented Andy to win tomorrow".Now you do not only predict a djokovic win but possibly
the most one sided final in US open history!!!
Can it happen? Yes! But Nadal beating Djoko can happen also.Those are
two champions playing against each other.A lot of things can happen.

With Andy it was bit iffy and I wanted Andy to win but with Djoko I am certain about the result. He is the only player who can beat nadal at will that's why he is current no. 1.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 11 Sep 2011, 10:00 pm

"Could be the most one sided final in US open history" - wow

What even more so than the most one-sided final in the history of the US Championships/US Open when in 1974 Jimmy Connors beat a 39-year-old Ken Rosewall, 6-1, 6-0, 6-1, in 78 minutes?

Yeah righto...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Sun 11 Sep 2011, 10:14 pm

Can't really stand either player. There's about a 2 minute wait between points and neither has been close to a net since they went fishing. Wake me up when it's over!

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sun 11 Sep 2011, 10:22 pm

That's a good post Super D Boon!

They do take ages to serve. Imagine if it goes to 5 sets....we might be around for 5 hours!!!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 11 Sep 2011, 10:45 pm

I find this one a very tough one to call. Recent h2h suggests a Djokovic win. But this is the first time in a couple of years that Rafa is going into a match being widely acknowledged as second favourite and I think Rafa is dangerous when he views himself as the underdog. In a sense he has nothing to lose - if he wins, he has overcome recent history. If he loses then that is in line with rankings and seeding.
Whatever the outcome though, I don't expect it to be one sided.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next