The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could Vettel be better than Senna?

+4
Critical_mass
dyrewolfe
Belgarion of Riva
Alessandro Ciambella
8 posters

Go down

Could Vettel be better than Senna? Empty Could Vettel be better than Senna?

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Mon 12 Sep 2011, 1:05 pm

Bonjourno!

Martin Brundle made a comment that got me thinking at the end of the Itallian Grand Prix here at Monza as the podium drivers parked up for tea and biscuits. He said Vettel can surely now be held in the high esteem as Senna, Prost and Alonso. At first I was shocked, but when you think about it this young German has easily been the driver of the year.

He has not failed to finish a race this year. His ability to suit the current and previous driving regulations is brilliant. He is the fastest driver in a reasonably priced car at the Top Gear test track. He is so consistent and a master of tyre/fuel management like Jenson Button MBE.

Some negative people say it is because he is in the best car and that its to easy for him. Remind how well his team mate has done this year in the same equipment. He has destroyed Mark Webber in every race and qualifying session. Perhaps the car is designed around Vettel, I dont know but he seems to take advantage of any given situation.

How about the Senna comparisons. Well, Sebastian Vettel became the first driver since Ayrton Senna to take pole on 10 occasions on 2 seasons. Plus, like Senna he has a few records of his own: -

-Youngest to drive at a Grand Prix meeting
-Youngest to set a fastest time at an official Grand Prix meeting
-Youngest race leader in Formula 1, at least for a lap
-Youngest pole position winner
-Youngest Grand Prix winner
-Youngest WDC Runner Up
-Youngest Formula Driver’s Champion
-Youngest Double WDC (I'm pretty certain we wont see him let that one slip away!)

While Senna and Vettel are very different drivers from a race craft perspective, Vettel does have all the makings of becoming the next potential legend to dominate the sport like Senna did in his era. Over a span of four years from 1988-1991, Senna the 'daddy!' He was as dominant as they come on the F1 circuit, but Vettel is making his case. Senna ended his career winning just over 25% of his races entered, and Vettel is already near that mark.

Senna was a more aggressive driver than Vettel, but their blazing speeds do recall similarities. If Vettel stays on this pace, he could turn out to be the best racing driver of his generation, just as Senna was of his.

Maybe Brundle is right. Maybe Vettel can not only reach the Senna bar, but push over it.

Your thoughts? Can Vettel hold a candle to Senna? If not, why not?

Forza Alonso!
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Could Vettel be better than Senna? Empty Re: Could Vettel be better than Senna?

Post by Belgarion of Riva Mon 12 Sep 2011, 2:14 pm

Vettel isn't even as good as Jenson Button MBE. To compare him to Senna is ridiculous.

The only drivers on the grid who could reach Sennaesque heights are The Matador Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton MBE

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 12 Sep 2011, 2:24 pm

@Alessandro:
As I recall they were asking if Vettel could be as successful as Schumacher. I distinctly remember EJ wondering if Seb could equal or even beat Schumi's 7 titles. He's certainly got time on his side.

That said, his overtake on Alonso after the restart was definitely a move that would have had Ayrton nodding in approval. For me Vettel hasn't showed that kind of skill, bravery and ruthlessness often enough to be compared to Senna yet...but if he keeps pulling off those sort of moves...

dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Mon 12 Sep 2011, 2:32 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:@Alessandro:
As I recall they were asking if Vettel could be as successful as Schumacher. I distinctly remember EJ wondering if Seb could equal or even beat Schumi's 7 titles. He's certainly got time on his side.

That said, his overtake on Alonso after the restart was definitely a move that would have had Ayrton nodding in approval. For me Vettel hasn't showed that kind of skill, bravery and ruthlessness often enough to be compared to Senna yet...but if he keeps pulling off those sort of moves...

Thats a fair comment.... and balanced. Take note AC.

Hug

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Sep 2011, 3:07 pm

i cant believe someone said button is better than vettel 🤦

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 12 Sep 2011, 3:13 pm

Too early to say.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 12 Sep 2011, 3:17 pm

To be fair, Garion's only a young whippersnapper. I need to have a word with his aunt Polgara about his forum behaviour. Wink
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Mon 12 Sep 2011, 3:19 pm

Garion? Who? lol

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgarion of Riva Mon 12 Sep 2011, 5:12 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:To be fair, Garion's only a young whippersnapper. I need to have a word with his aunt Polgara about his forum behaviour. Wink

Very Happy

I've already spoken with my granddather Belgarath and he's warned me about my future conduct. Will be on my best behaviour from now on. On a serious note, I think Button's better than Vettel, I'm entitled to my opinion. I may be wrong but it's my opinion. Webber matched Vettel in that car last season and he's nothing special. So forgive me, if Vettel doesn't do it for me.

God I hate that finger

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Mon 12 Sep 2011, 5:27 pm

wonder if the finger is insured? hmmm 7million haha. Michael Flatley esq haha

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:28 pm

Bonjourno!

In 20 years time I wonder what will be more iconic. Vettels finger or Senna's helmet!?

Forza Alonso!

Last edited by Alessandro Ciambella on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:49 pm

I reckon Vettel gets a 3rd title and by then other teams will have caught up and we'll have Force India and Renault battling for the championship for many a year Very Happy
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 14 Sep 2011, 3:51 pm

Belgarion of Riva wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:To be fair, Garion's only a young whippersnapper. I need to have a word with his aunt Polgara about his forum behaviour. Wink

Very Happy

I've already spoken with my granddather Belgarath and he's warned me about my future conduct. Will be on my best behaviour from now on. On a serious note, I think Button's better than Vettel, I'm entitled to my opinion. I may be wrong but it's my opinion. Webber matched Vettel in that car last season and he's nothing special. So forgive me, if Vettel doesn't do it for me.

God I hate that finger

Lol!

Have to admit Vettel used to really annoy me with his finger wagging and the drivel he used to spout over the radio. Fortunately he seems to have toned it down lately. I also used to think he was a one-trick pony who could only win from the front, but he's starting to prove himself on that score too.

Have to disagree with you about Webber though. He's pulled off some brilliant results after finding himself down the grid through poor qualifying, or after collisions during races. What about his overtake on Alonso at Spa? Proves the guy has as much skill and bravery as anyone. True he can be very inconsistent, which is the main reason he's not had a real shot at a title yet, but on his day he's a formidable driver.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by We Are Number 1!!! Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:32 pm

Vettel's won the title twice (2nd almost sealed) plainly due to having the fastest car. If Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton etc all had the same car, Vettel would be behind the other WDCs. His overtake against Alonso was hardly Sennaesque, it was down to having a faster car.

We Are Number 1!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:41 pm

[quote="We Are Number 1!!!"]Vettel's won the title twice (2nd almost sealed) plainly due to having the fastest car. If Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton etc all had the same car, Vettel would be behind the other WDCs. His overtake against Alonso was hardly Sennaesque, it was down to having a faster car.[/quote]

Isn't that how Schumacher won alot his titles though? Vettle was doing better in a Red Bull spare parts car then the actual Red Bull a few years back so he's not winning races just because of that.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by We Are Number 1!!! Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:51 pm

Irish Curry wrote:
We Are Number 1!!! wrote:Vettel's won the title twice (2nd almost sealed) plainly due to having the fastest car. If Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton etc all had the same car, Vettel would be behind the other WDCs. His overtake against Alonso was hardly Sennaesque, it was down to having a faster car.

Isn't that how Schumacher won alot his titles though? Vettle was doing better in a Red Bull spare parts car then the actual Red Bull a few years back so he's not winning races just because of that.
Michael's two title with Benetton wheren't in the best car. During his stint at of domination 2000-04, he was the best driver by a country mile, and would've won in a less dominate car as well.

Vettel did well in the Torro Roso once, the victory at Monza. Would look as good in the 2011 Ferrari or VMM? I highly doubt it. Vettel is a good front runner, nothing more.

We Are Number 1!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:10 pm

Vettle is more then that yes having the fastest car does help but he would still be up there in the WDC maybe not as far ahead but still challenging for it if there were all in the same car.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:12 pm

Schumachers title wins in the Benetton were brilliant. The Ferrari ones not so much as he did have things in his favour, like the tyres being developed around him.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:13 pm

Bonjourno!

Had Schumacher not been banned in 1994, benneton would of been contructors champions and they easily had the best car in 1995 so you can forget about that!

Vettel was out driving Webber and D.C. In the main Red Bull team at the end of 2008. In 2009 he nearly took the title in the 2nd best car behind the brawn.

This year he has obliterated last years title contender, Mark Webber. He has well and truly kicked his back doors in!

The guy is only 24 years young. Senna had just started F1 at this point, let alone become WDC. Vettel is only going to get better. How much more? We shall soon see, but this guy is ripping up the record books. Anybody who dismisses his credentials is blinded by jealousy. He is a match for anybody right now.

Forza Alonso!
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by We Are Number 1!!! Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:14 pm

Irish Curry wrote:Vettle is more then that yes having the fastest car does help but he would still be up there in the WDC maybe not as far ahead but still challenging for it if there were all in the same car.
Undoubtedly Vettel is quick, it remains to be seen whether its plainly due to the car, but when he's mid pack he rarely has the answers like Alonso, Hamilton and Button do. If Ferrari and VMM get their cars right for 2012, we'll get to see how good Vettel really is.

We Are Number 1!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by We Are Number 1!!! Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:16 pm

Alessandro Ciambella wrote:Bonjourno!

Had Schumacher not been banned in 1994, benneton would of been contructors champions and they easily had the best car in 1995 so you can forget about that!

Vettel was out driving Webber and D.C. In the main Red Bull team at the end of 2008. In 2009 he nearly took the title in the 2nd best car behind the brawn.

This year he has obliterated last years title contender, Mark Webber. He has well and truly kicked his back doors in!

The guy is only 24 years young. Senna had just started F1 at this point, let alone become WDC. Vettel is only going to get better. How much more? We shall soon see, but this guy is ripping up the record books. Anybody who dismisses his credentials is blinded by jealousy. He is a match for anybody right now.

Forza Alonso!
Don't compare Senna to Vettel, Senna won titles in terrible cars, not gift wrapped title winning cars.

Webber is the Red Bull number 2, he's not allowed to beat Vettel.

We Are Number 1!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:21 pm

Bonjourno!

Apart from Silverstone, he has not got near him.

Senna won titles in dreadful cars?

Like the McLaren MP4/4? Yes

Races Wins Poles Fastest laps
16 15 15. 10

Truly, an awful car.

Forza Alonso!
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:40 pm

Sorry but i dont think Vettel compares to Senna.

Vettel is on a high in his career, but would like to see him being challanged on a regular basis. Hopefully next season will be another close one, until the end, where the top 5 drivers are competing until the end - vettel, webber, lewis, button and Alonso. (notice i didnt mention massa). But maybe next year we'll have Rosberg, maybe even Schumacher challenging too.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Thu 15 Sep 2011, 5:05 pm

[quote="We Are Number 1!!!"][quote="Irish Curry"]Vettle is more then that yes having the fastest car does help but he would still be up there in the WDC maybe not as far ahead but still challenging for it if there were all in the same car.[/quote]
Undoubtedly Vettel is quick, it remains to be seen whether its plainly due to the car, but when he's mid pack he rarely has the answers like Alonso, Hamilton and Button do. If Ferrari and VMM get their cars right for 2012, we'll get to see how good Vettel really is.[/quote]

Hopefully they will, its getting a bit boring with him winning the whole time Rolling Eyes
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Thu 15 Sep 2011, 5:12 pm

Certainly does. Hence i stopped watching F1 during the Schumacher years - Yawn.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down