The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England call up Thomas Waldrom

+24
yappysnap
glamorganalun
formerly known as Sam
prop_lyd
Geordie
wasps
TheGreyGhost
G2
bathmad
Cymroglan
Effervescing Elephant
Great White
Bullsbok
beshocked
offload
The WarLord Mashaka
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Rava
screamingaddabs
LondonTiger
doctor_grey
Portnoy
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
BATH_BTGOG
28 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

England call up Thomas Waldrom - Page 2 Empty England call up Thomas Waldrom

Post by BATH_BTGOG Mon 19 Sep 2011, 1:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

Leicester's Thomas Waldrom is to fly out to New Zealand as World Cup cover for England number eight Nick Easter.

England manager Martin Johnson said: "Nick Easter is still suffering from a sore back so we will be bringing Thomas out as temporary cover.

"We've obviously spoken to Leicester and Thomas will be flying later today."

England have still to name a replacement for injured prop Andrew Sheridan, who was ruled out with a shoulder injury last week.

Bad news for the Tigers, should have gone anyway IMO
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

England call up Thomas Waldrom - Page 2 Empty Re: England call up Thomas Waldrom

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:30 pm

Oh magic, cheers Johnno. We're only missing 15+ another first teamer off to the RWC on a late call up is about is about as welcome as a dose of the clap.

Options at 8 for Tigers are; Salvi (started there vs Wasps), de Carpienter (new signing played for England students and England sevens last year), Armes (academy graduate, was on bench vs Exeter and has been on loan at Notts), Slater (can play backrow and at 18 stone doesn't lack balast) and if he's fit Pienaar (Saffa born but Leicestershire raised utility backrower, was A Team captain and seemed to have graduated the academy to be a first team squad player before a nasty knee injury put him out of action for 6+ months).

We will probably have two loosies on the bench - Holford and Bucknell(?).

Bucknall is a more natural tighthead we converted to loosehead after signing him and finding ourselves minus a loosehead. Holford we borrowed from Notts and I'm not sure how pleased they will be if we keep stealing him. There is England under 20 international Bower who has had some exposure at Notts and in the LV Cup. He looked good in the scrum at the JWC.

It's the backline where the most damage to your side is in my opinion.

Actually the backline has been functioning pretty well and has proved to be pretty incisive despite having little platform as our front five has been dire. Brookes has looked out of his depth Chuter and Stanko are out of form, Skivs still fades in and out of games and Slater is still just not savvy enough (he's 18 stone and a real unit he should be making his presence felt a damn sight more).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

England call up Thomas Waldrom - Page 2 Empty Re: England call up Thomas Waldrom

Post by Geordie Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:35 pm

"Geordie: Narraway's been suffering from an injury recently so isn't fully fit.."

Ah been out the loop slightly...didnt realise.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:37 pm

wasps wrote:Sheridan's replacement is presumably on hold while we wait and see if we need anyone anywhere else.
It's currently a free replacement for us.

As for Waldrom, he's surely been called up to train and learn the moves, just in case Easter doesn't recover.

From Englands perspective it makes sense.
He was in the original training squad, so is presumably seen as 'next in line', plus they get someone out there in case they need them, whilst not actually having to send Easter back just yet.

However, it totally sucks from Leicester's perspective.

With Moody potentially being a bit 'iffy' too, it may have been time to call up someone that could cover both 8 and 7... maybe Dowson or someone like that.

Back row is definitely a bit light at the moment, but as we have a few 'free' replacements (i.e. Sheridan and potentially Easter / Moody) then there's nothing too worry about really.

At least the fact that he is totally depleting the Leicester squad may get rid of all the conspiracy theories about him loving Leicester so much that he wouldn't want to hurt their chances this season.

Surely a replacement prop would have to learn all the lineout moves, as would a hooker/2nd row, in fact, number 8 is possibly the least reliant on set moves I would've thought? I agree it makes sense for him to go out from England's perspective, however it doesn't tally with no one having gone out before. It does also royally screw over tigers at the moment (though I genuinely don't think that should affect how a national coach behaves). Nothing will get rid of the conspiracy theories though. I also think that tigers will be miffed due to Waldrom not to my knowledge being in the EPS, I don't know what agreement he is on with the RFU and where everyone stands financially etc. Finally I would have preferred Dowson to go as I feel he offers an alternative to Haskell, not more of the same like Waldrom.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:37 pm

PS if we are going down the route of a monster pack...why not just get Lawes to cover 8 Very Happy

Then we can bring in Kvesic(however its spelt) or another openside to give them WC experience.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:43 pm

Not bad for the player a free trip Home and get paid.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:44 pm

beshocked wrote:what does the bench look like.

Forward replacements - shot to pieces. Really down to the bare bones at Prop, Second row & back row. Backs will possible include Lee Robinson to whichever half backs are not in the XV.

I hate to say this but Sarries should be looking for 5 points.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:46 pm

"what does the bench look like"

Its a wooden thing with four legs...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:48 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:"what does the bench look like"

Its a wooden thing with four legs...

Laugh
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:58 pm

London Tiger 5 points?! No chance! Just win is all I would ask of the Sarries boys. That is definitely not a foregone conclusion!

Sarries could only manage 2 tries against the worst side in the AP at home. One of those tries was debatable too.

Basically what you are saying is that you don't want more injuries or call ups before the game.

Chuter,Twelvetrees and Allen might get call ups if the rumours of the food poisoning affecting Hartley,Hape and Tindall are true. Wink

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 19 Sep 2011, 4:08 pm

Based on a team of;

Stanko, Chuter, White
Skivs, Slater
Woods, Salvi, Mafi
Grindal, Ford
Allen, Twelvetrees
Morris, Smith
Hamilton

The bench;

16.Bucknall
17.Hawkins/Youngs (wish one of those would get given a run out)
18.erm.... Brookes if fit if not then one of Bower, Holdford or Harris
19.Kitchener - unless Skivs is out then he will play and we'll probabley have a backrower on the bench maybe Pienaar, Green and Parling are still injured
20.Armes (only none academy backrower left)
21.Young
22.Staunton
23.Forsyth (academy graduate utility back, A Team top try scorer LY)

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 19 Sep 2011, 4:27 pm

So Beshocked still so mad about the Leicester bias in England selection?

Now we seem to be reduced to arguing of which of the Jeff giants is the worst this season.

Thank god for the playoffs eh Portnoy Wink

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 19 Sep 2011, 4:35 pm

Guest is out for a few more weeks or longer, Narroway is out, Crane is out.

So really it leaves Waldrom, who looked cack against Newcastle (has he put on even more weight?) or we have Dowson or....... Fearns maybe? Robshaw possibly I suppose, maybe York?

Really no8 is looking pretty weak what with all the injuries, if Easter is still suffering then Waldroms the only choice.

Why Tom (Guest), why did you have to go and break your arm!!!

I assume the spare spot is being kept just in case, we're ok at the moment, but you getthe feeling one more injury in any of a few positions and they'll have to call some one out.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 19 Sep 2011, 4:42 pm

Peter seabiscuit wheeler Waldrom does play for Leicester. You can look at it from two points of view - he is picking yet another Leicester player for his England side despite there being better options or by picking a Leicester player he is hurting Leicester's club chances.

From a Saracen's perspective it won't harm our chances if Leicester miss yet another player.

Would rather play and beat a full strength Leicester but when in some people's eyes is Leicester ever full strength?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 19 Sep 2011, 4:46 pm

We're away to tigers on the 8th October, this could be our chance!! Finally we could get a win over Leicester!

Quickly Jonno call up a few more of 'em!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 19 Sep 2011, 4:47 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:
And don't mention the war....
Yes, don't mention the war,
Don't mention the war!
I SAID DON'T MENTION THE WAR!
The bombs are still going off.
You don't hear them, but I do!
You don't hear them because it's a plot to decieve you.
But I hear them and I will protect you.
And, you have to be careful, because THEY are out there.
Looking for me.
But I won't let them, will I?
No, I must hide. But where?
Don't hide, attack.
Right we will attack. Attack them all, eat them all.
My Precious......

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 19 Sep 2011, 5:13 pm

God why has Waldrom gone?? Surely Haskell's surpassed Easter for the starting 8 now, he has to have done! Why couldn't Tom Johnson have been called out, just to cover Easter current spot? I know he's not an 8, but Tom Wood can play there, as he has done for Saints occasionally .
Tom Johnson impressed so much for the Saxons, and he's a true 7. Think he's missed out big time. I just don't think Waldrom has the international game required for a world cup.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 19 Sep 2011, 5:14 pm

God why has Waldrom gone?? Surely Haskell's surpassed Easter for the starting 8 now, he has to have done! Why couldn't Tom Johnson have been called out, just to cover Easter current spot? I know he's not an 8, but Tom Wood can play there, as he has done for Saints occasionally .
Tom Johnson impressed so much for the Saxons, and he's a true 7. Think he's missed out big time. I just don't think Waldrom has the international game required for a world cup. I think if Narraway and Crane were both fit, it would be a very different story.

Actually, just had a thought- why not Dowson??? The man's a superb backrow player and has more than deserved a shot.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon 19 Sep 2011, 5:22 pm

He clashes with the black shirt, whereas Waldrom just fits right in.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 19 Sep 2011, 5:26 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:God why has Waldrom gone?? Surely Haskell's surpassed Easter for the starting 8 now, he has to have done! Why couldn't Tom Johnson have been called out, just to cover Easter current spot? I know he's not an 8, but Tom Wood can play there, as he has done for Saints occasionally .
Tom Johnson impressed so much for the Saxons, and he's a true 7. Think he's missed out big time. I just don't think Waldrom has the international game required for a world cup. I think if Narraway and Crane were both fit, it would be a very different story.

Actually, just had a thought- why not Dowson??? The man's a superb backrow player and has more than deserved a shot.

Many good points. But Waldrom has trained with the squad before, and i think MJ gets a lot of his selection advice from The Rugby Club. If only he listened to us!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 19 Sep 2011, 5:31 pm

beshocked wrote:when in some people's eyes is Leicester ever full strength?

When they scrap the salary cap and we can sign all of Newcastles players

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 19 Sep 2011, 5:32 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:Actually, just had a thought- why not Dowson??? The man's a superb backrow player and has more than deserved a shot.
Couldn't agree more. The man does all the little things well, works like a dog for 80 minutes, never takes a step backwards, and always has his head in the game.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 19 Sep 2011, 5:33 pm

yappysnap wrote:Many good points. But Waldrom has trained with the squad before, and i think MJ gets a lot of his selection advice from The Rugby Club. If only he listened to us!

So true, I really wish he did! Thing with Waldrom is he just seems to disappear from games for a while, which is exactly what we don't want- especially at a world cup, where it's all about intensity. I know people used to criticise Haskell for the same thing, but since the six nations, I think he has really improved his play ten fold.

Oh, nice jab Grey Ghost. Very witty indeed.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by robshaw4england Mon 19 Sep 2011, 6:29 pm

robshaw must be absolutely screwing furious

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 20 Sep 2011, 8:11 am

robshaw4england wrote:robshaw must be absolutely screwing furious

Yes he must be furious he isnt a like for like replacement for Nick Easter

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 20 Sep 2011, 8:30 am

I noticed that some people would prefer other options to Waldrom such as Robshaw,Johnson and Dowson. I probably would too but does it ultimately matter?

Waldrom probably won't get a game. The poor guy will probably be twiddling his thumbs whilst his club side play one of their biggest games of the season. Can't say I am unhappy about that.

Haskell will likelihood be moved to no 8 if Easter doesn't recover with Waldrom as back up no 8.

I actually think Robshaw and Quins will be laughing. Quins have lost barely anyone to the world cup and are reaping the benefits. Certainly compare that to Leicester who must be groaning.

I would rather keep my club's players instead of having them be waterboys on the other side of the world.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:14 am

Agree completely Beshocked, it's at times like this we can all thank the RFU for hiring an ex-Leicester player as the head coach.

Jokes aside though, the team Leicester are running out at the moment is still in my opinion better then most in the Prem, the only thing it's missing is a star player.

It's really just levelled the playing field and made Tigers have to try and compete with a squad/team that's like every one elses rather then big name players all round. It'll be good for their players and coaches to go through this and I for one am enjoying watching it.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:33 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:It may just be for training. They dont have enough backrow players currently. Then if Easters injury doenst lkook like getting better he cbecomes a formal replacement.

The Sheridan replacement situation is an odd one.

Sucks for Tigers, they have been decimated by the world cup. Waldrom was signed because he wouldnt be at the world cup, and noone couldve expected Tuilagi to be here 12 month ago.

Cockerill said 12 months ago that Tuilagi had a good chance of going to the World Cup, before he'd even made his Premiership debut:

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Leicester-Tigers-youngster-Manu-Tuilagi-backed-play-England-World-Cup/story-12051647-detail/story.html

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:33 am

It's really just levelled the playing field and made Tigers have to try and compete with a squad/team that's like every one elses rather then big name players all round.

I'm not sure we have that many big names, we certainly don't sign many (other than ones down on their luck through injury/form). The team would be a damn site more competitive if most of the front five had actually played together before. No solid base at scrum or line out is hurting us and stopping the rather decent backline getting going, we're still getting plenty of tries though. Still can't believe we haven't hired a defence coach!

robshaw must be absolutely screwing

What he does in the presence of his own bedroom is not our concern. Don't see why we need a Worsley Mrk2.0 out there anyway, now Steffon Armitage must be sitting in the South of France thinking "damnit I could have been a sodding hero". That's how desperate we are for a scavenging backrower.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:45 am

Sam it's probably more likely Steffon Armitage is on a deck chair sipping champagne whilst being fanned by young female French admirers in Toulon.

Probably too preoccupied to think of the England rugby side being criticised for throwing dwarfs, the appalling behaviour by a certain English captain, England's impeccable discipline, Haskell's outburst etc.

Who would you rather be? A waterboy in dreary New Zealand surrounded by hype and controversy or living the life of luxury in the south of France with no worries except for when the next bottle of wine will be consumed?

Sam I would say all your English internationals are big names. Also Castrogiovanni,Murphy. You have a fair few.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 20 Sep 2011, 10:57 am

Sam I would say all your English internationals are big names. Also Castrogiovanni,Murphy. You have a fair few..

True they are more adpoted sons we sculpted into big names though. I can still remember when Castro signed and the fans were describing him as the fat Italian who could be half decent in a year or two. I think we've done wise business again this summer and the likes of Kitchener, Mafi, Twelvetrees, Morris and Slater will be big names in the future and they will learn quite a lot about hard graft now.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 20 Sep 2011, 12:20 pm

robbo277 wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:It may just be for training. They dont have enough backrow players currently. Then if Easters injury doenst lkook like getting better he cbecomes a formal replacement.

The Sheridan replacement situation is an odd one.

Sucks for Tigers, they have been decimated by the world cup. Waldrom was signed because he wouldnt be at the world cup, and noone couldve expected Tuilagi to be here 12 month ago.

Cockerill said 12 months ago that Tuilagi had a good chance of going to the World Cup, before he'd even made his Premiership debut:

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Leicester-Tigers-youngster-Manu-Tuilagi-backed-play-England-World-Cup/story-12051647-detail/story.html

That wasn't difficult to figure out though was it. Similarly to Waldrom, as soon as you realise they're not really English their place in MJ's squad seems a certainty.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 20 Sep 2011, 6:39 pm

GG: If you play your cards right you and any offspring could qualify for England taking part on this forum for 3 years.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 21 Sep 2011, 2:56 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:He clashes with the black shirt, whereas Waldrom just fits right in.

But Waldrom didnt' fit into a black shirt. That's why he left.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by G2 Wed 21 Sep 2011, 9:15 am

nganboy wrote:
TheGreyGhost wrote:He clashes with the black shirt, whereas Waldrom just fits right in.

But Waldrom didnt' fit into a black shirt. That's why he left.

Only England have the resources available to make shirts that large

G2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2