The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Q&A with George Foreman?

+29
md_fan
compelling and rich
paperbag_puncher
John Bloody Wayne
No1Jonesy
Jukebox Timebomb
Super D Boon
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Michaels, Sean
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
milkyboy
superflyweight
HumanWindmill
GerardMcL
Il Gialloblu
Adam D
BALTIMORA
88Chris05
The genius of PBF
School Project
Scottrf
ErmanH
bellchees
AlexHuckerby
Rowley
Sir. badgerhands
Union Cane
coxy0001
Fists of Fury
33 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Q&A with George Foreman? Empty Q&A with George Foreman?

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:27 am

Morning all

George Foreman has agreed to a Q&A with us (though judging by his intermittent use of Twitter it may take god knows how long to be returned), however I feel it's worth getting some questions across on the off chance that he finds time to answer them.

Let's try and get some interesting questions together that we can send across to George, because I'm sure you'll agree that it'd be another nice coup for the forum if we can pull this one off.

The questions that some of you provided for Joe Frazier are with his people at the moment, and will be answered in due course, I'm told.

Thanks.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Q&A with George Foreman? Empty Re: Q&A with George Foreman?

Post by coxy0001 Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:31 am

Ok i'll go first, no doubt Hobo will say my queston was "excellent" and then not get asked.

George: Much debate has been had regarding the current dominance of the Klitschko brothers and how no-one seems to be able to step up and give them a run for their money. How do you think both would've fared against the golden era you fought in? Would they stand a chance against the likes of yourself, Norton, Ali, Frazier and co?

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:34 am

George, when you destroyed the previously undefeated Joe Frazier in two rounds in Kingston in 1973, knocking him down six times in the process, who do you think was more surprised, Joe or yourself?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:35 am

Good work Fists.

My question would be.

How would you see the Klitschko brothers getting on in the time of yourself, Frazier and Ali?

You were well known for your intimidating ring presence. Which of your opponents did you find most intimidating?

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:35 am

There was a lot of talk of you and Holmes facing each other in the late 70's, is this a fight you regret not happening and how would you see it going?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:35 am

do you think that if ali fought in any other way against you do you believe he would have still won?

how come it took you so long to start your comeback?

youre known as a guy with a fun personality and you have made me laugh on many occassion what is your view on how david haye conducted himself in the build up to the haye - wlad klitschko fight?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:37 am

Hopkins recently broke your record as the oldest world champion in the history of the sport, did you ever think someone would achieve that and do you think anyone will go on to surpass Hopkins?

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by ErmanH Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:40 am

A lot is often made of the difficulty in comparing fighters from different eras due to the improved nutritional and training developments in the modern era. Did you notice any differences in terms of your opponents conditioning/preparations once you stepped in the ring with them in late 80's/90's compared to the opponents of the golden era of the 70's?

Are there any heavyweights in the history of the sport who you feel you would not have been able to beat on your best night?

ErmanH

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:44 am

Your son has recently turned pro, do you still lace the gloves up and spar him and have you still got it?

A lot of people are extremely critical of the heavyweight division currently, do you feel it is the case the division is weak or the Klitschko's are just that good?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:47 am

Do you believe there can be such a thing as a ‘lucky punch’?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:52 am

The George Foreman grill is quite possibly the greatest cooking invention since the Microwave. It was so good you put your name to it, do you wish to put your name to a new cooking device or do you believe that every device that has been made HAS already been made?

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:53 am

Sir. badgerhands wrote:Good work Fists.

My question would be.

How would you see the Klitschko brothers getting on in the time of yourself, Frazier and Ali?

You were well known for your intimidating ring presence. Which of your opponents did you find most intimidating?

I believe he said it was Joe Frazier correct me if I am wrong.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:54 am

George, after Lennox Lewis' 2002 knockout of Mike Tyson, you said that Lewis was "no doubt about it, the best Heavyweight of all time." In a foreword for one of Thomas Hauser's Ali biographies, you said of Ali, "in my heart, he will always be the greatest." Then in a 'USA Today' special edition early last year, you were asked if you thought Ali was the greatest fighter of all time and replied, "No, no. Joe Louis. Boxing ability, you don't even put them in the same conversation." So just to clarify and clear it all up, which of the three do you really consider the greatest Heavyweight of them all? Or do you think someone else outside of those three deserves that honour?

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:54 am

What inspired you when naming your sons?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:55 am

in answer to your question scott no its not football where theres a lucky deflection or something. a punch thrown to knock a man out is just that, unless that was meant in jest to the moorer fight, also well done fists we love you!

Last edited by AlexHuckerby on Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:57 am

Did I stumble into the AlexHuckerby Q&A by mistake?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:58 am

coxy0001 wrote:Ok i'll go first, no doubt Hobo will say my queston was "excellent" and then not get asked.

George: Much debate has been had regarding the current dominance of the Klitschko brothers and how no-one seems to be able to step up and give them a run for their money. How do you think both would've fared against the golden era you fought in? Would they stand a chance against the likes of yourself, Norton, Ali, Frazier and co?

Excellent question OK

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:59 am

well there should be one...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 20 Sep 2011, 10:10 am

School Project wrote:The George Foreman grill is quite possibly the greatest cooking invention since the Microwave. It was so good you put your name to it, do you wish to put your name to a new cooking device or do you believe that every device that has been made HAS already been made?

I would guess so mate, yes.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 20 Sep 2011, 10:13 am

George, whose smack talking has got under your skin more; Ali's back in 1974, or Dave's in this Q & A?

You wrote last year that you believe your trainer at the time of the Ali fight, Dick Sadler, had slipped something in to your water bottles for the fight, saying "I realised he had done the medicine man job on me that night", and that you felt sluggish throughout as a result. Why do you think your own trainer would do that, and do you still stand by that accusation?

You sparred with Sonny Liston as a young man, when he was more or less at the top of his game. Did you ever get a taste from this of how a potential fight between the pair of you, arguably the two most intimidating Heavyweight champions of all time, might have gone?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by GerardMcL Tue 20 Sep 2011, 10:18 am

George, do you think there is too much emphasis being placed on physical attributes within the HW division at the moment? i.e. do fighters worry about the Klitschkos being too tall, too long a reach etc.
In your day a fighter like Frazier could be Champion in spite of his relatively small stature. His mastery of the fundamentals allowed this. Have modern fighters sacrificed the importance of speed and technique for bulk and a determination not to be out muscled?
Does a guy with the head movement and infighting skills of Joe Frazier defeat the Klitschkos?

GerardMcL

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 20 Sep 2011, 10:23 am

First up - fantastic coup for the forum if it comes off. Very well done, Fists.

My question would be :

Fight fans often discuss a fantasy fight between you and a young Mike Tyson. Most favour you to win, since Tyson would bring the fight to you and even D'Amato felt that nobody could beat you in this way. However, there are some who believe that Tyson's speed and ability to create angles might have allowed him to get into range and make life difficult for you.

How do you think a fight between the two of you would have played out ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 20 Sep 2011, 11:06 am

1. You're widely regarded as one of the hardest hitting heavyweights. Who hit you the hardest?

2. On a head to head basis, most people would give you a fair chance of beating any other heavyweight in history. Which heavyweight champion do you think you would have struggled with most? Which champion or champions do you think would be an easy night's work?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Sep 2011, 11:18 am

88Chris05 wrote:George, whose smack talking has got under your skin more; Ali's back in 1974, or Dave's in this Q & A?

You wrote last year that you believe your trainer at the time of the Ali fight, Dick Sadler, had slipped something in to your water bottles for the fight, saying "I realised he had done the medicine man job on me that night", and that you felt sluggish throughout as a result. Why do you think your own trainer would do that, and do you still stand by that accusation?

You sparred with Sonny Liston as a young man, when he was more or less at the top of his game. Did you ever get a taste from this of how a potential fight between the pair of you, arguably the two most intimidating Heavyweight champions of all time, might have gone?
did you just compare dave to ali?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 20 Sep 2011, 11:43 am

In the words of the venerable Trussman...no wallies please, adults only.

Keep them coming guys, I'll send something out this evening and then keep my fingers crossed!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 20 Sep 2011, 11:53 am

you have been very respectful to ali about the rumble... in your heart of hearts though, do you feel you lost the fight more than he won it? Do you feel it's a fight you could have and should have won?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 20 Sep 2011, 12:58 pm

Floyd or Manny, who wins and how?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Tue 20 Sep 2011, 1:37 pm

George - if you were 25 again, which of the current 5 belts would you crave the most?

WBC
WBA
IBF
WBO
IBO (Ring Magazine)
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Tue 20 Sep 2011, 1:58 pm

88Chris05 wrote:
jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Ali may have been prettier, faster, sharper, a better boxer and an all round better person than me but I feel the comparison is valid.

Further questions included....

George, do you find it physically impossible to say bad things about people these days or do you simply do it in order to persist with the myth that you are an affable old grandad? Does the mask ever slip?

Are you vying with SRL for the title "most sanctimonious ex-fighter"?

I think the question of whether Foreman's kindly persona is genuine is answered by the fact that you've asked these questions. Imagine the George Foreman who fought Frazier and Norton. Would you ask HIM your cheeky questions?

Oh, I think you'd be surprised what most of us would say behind the safety net of a computer monitor, lad!

If he was still the Foreman who fought Norton, I wouldn't even say it from behind a monitor.

Back on track, I'd like to know where George sees himself in the heavyweight pantheon. Top 5? Top 10?

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 20 Sep 2011, 2:00 pm

If you could have had one more fight with either Mike Tyson or Larry Holmes, which would you have chosen, and how would you see the fight panning out?

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Tue 20 Sep 2011, 2:06 pm

George, how did you come up with the idea for the George Foreman Grill?

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 20 Sep 2011, 2:25 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:
School Project wrote:The George Foreman grill is quite possibly the greatest cooking invention since the Microwave. It was so good you put your name to it, do you wish to put your name to a new cooking device or do you believe that every device that has been made HAS already been made?

I would guess so mate, yes.

Thanks for answering my question George, I didn't know you were a member of the boards...

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by No1Jonesy Tue 20 Sep 2011, 2:25 pm

At your best could you have beaten Lennox Lewis at his best?

No1Jonesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Sep 2011, 2:27 pm

No1Jonesy wrote:At your best could you have beaten Lennox Lewis at his best?
If so, can you tell us how in less than seven months as we're still waiting for ArchBritChris to give us his definitive answer as to how you'd do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by No1Jonesy Tue 20 Sep 2011, 2:31 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
No1Jonesy wrote:At your best could you have beaten Lennox Lewis at his best?
If so, can you tell us how in less than seven months as we're still waiting for ArchBritChris to give us his definitive answer as to how you'd do it.

laughing

Plus it'd help us with this semi final tournament you've found yourself in

No1Jonesy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 20 Sep 2011, 3:00 pm

George, how do you respond to criticisms that 'Little Stick of Blackpool Rock' was far too raunchy and suggestive a song for the era in which it was released?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 20 Sep 2011, 3:04 pm

Why did a matchup between yourself and Ernie Shavers never happen? It's been said you ducked Ernie, care to set the record straight?

Do you believe the exceptional ability to fight and beat men at the top of their game, when you were a middle aged man, was purely down to having a shaved head? Is being bald always an advantage?

Do you realise when you're in an epic fight that will be remembered for decades, or do you not notice until after it's finished?

How come in your era, the bes fought the best, but in today's boxing it seems we'll never get to see the best square off?

What was your score card for Haye v Wlad?

I used your grill to create the greatest tortilla of all time and I'd like to inform you of the joy it brought me.
The first ingredient was spicy jamaican raggae sauce, then a layer of french fries, then a bowlfull of grated cheese packed tightly to form a solid foundation. While I was doing this, four pieces of chicken - wrapped in bacon - sizzled in my beloved George Foreman grill. When they came out, the bacon had fused with the chicken, given it the succulent taste of chicken with a sweet, sweet and crispy bacon coating. They went in the tortilla and then were covered in salsa. Then I folded the tortilla over and stuck it in the GEORGE FOREMAN (see, I'm still on topic) grill. The end result was a tortilla that was bursting at the edges, the melted cheese and sauces seeping out as it all got hot. The fries held everything inside though. By the end I had a tortilla so wonderful...put it this way, have you ever seen when Harry met Sally? The scene in the cafe? THAT is how great the tortilla was. Infat it was better than that I have George Foreman to thank for it.

Which of your attributes do you feel you improved on in your comeback?

With a 45 year old Foreman's brain, do you think you could've beaten Ali?

How would Holyfield have faired in the 60's and 70's?

Your thoughts on Holyfield still fighting at this age/health?

Do you think Frazier lasted longer in your rematch because he shaved his head?

How close did you come to smacking Hank Hill when he referred to the George Foreman as a "Novelty grill"?

Did you see Floyd Mayweather's post fight interview with Larry Merchant? If so; if you asked the same questions as Merchant, do you think Floyd would have spoken to you in the same way?

Do you think Antonio Tarver will ever respond to my questions about whether he has any hair at all?

Who is the most underrated heavyweight champion in your opinion?

Evander Holyfield v Muhammad Ali, how would it go?

Do you feel Ali circa '67 would've been easier or tougher to beat?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 20 Sep 2011, 3:18 pm

Did you enjoy your shout out on Primetime on Saturday, JBW?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 20 Sep 2011, 3:29 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Did you enjoy your shout out on Primetime on Saturday, JBW?

I didn't see it but I heard about it. Most proud! I shan't miss out on the opporunity to see something like first hand again. Bring me a PPV!

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Tue 20 Sep 2011, 3:31 pm

Which boxers did you admire growing up?

Which fight of yours are you proudest off?

You were known for your prescence, stature and power. Do you believe that your boxing skills are often under rated considering you won olympic gold and also managed to forge a successful career as an old man?

What would you have been had you not boxed?

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Tue 20 Sep 2011, 3:44 pm

You scrambled Moorer's senses with a booming shot in your title fight with him.

Is that the best shot you've ever landed?

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Tue 20 Sep 2011, 3:49 pm

rowley wrote:Your mother is either a bad cook paperbag or is buying really poor quality meat produce as I have never experienced any sticking issues on using my Mean, Lean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine.

What you saying about my moma? As far as I know she only makes bacon or toasted sandwiches on it so I don't think either apply.

What other sports do you watch? Who do you support?

Most intimidating HW ever yourself included. (Has to be you or Liston)

Most over rated HW ever?

Top 3 sportsmen ever?

If you beat Ali in Zaire where would you be ranked in HW history?

You vs Ron Lyle is one of the fights I show my mates when they say boxing is boring. What fight would you show them?

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 20 Sep 2011, 4:04 pm

Are you doing a "best I've faced"?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 20 Sep 2011, 4:05 pm

Yep.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Tue 20 Sep 2011, 4:08 pm

Where's my Wayne Rooney question gone?

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 20 Sep 2011, 4:08 pm

DO you feel the heat and humidity played a major factor in zaire, and if you had fought ali in a cooler climate would you have had a better chance?

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 20 Sep 2011, 4:14 pm

Meant to move it but think I deleted it.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 20 Sep 2011, 4:16 pm

How many minutes would Antonio Tarver take to grill?

Should James Toney try to use a Foreman grill in his bid to get down cruiserweight?

How come all the things in your recipe book instruct about twice as much time as necasarry in the grill?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by md_fan Tue 20 Sep 2011, 4:18 pm

How did your training regime change between retiring in 1977 and your comeback a decade later? Were there any new techniques which you found surprising and effective?

md_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Tue 20 Sep 2011, 4:18 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Meant to move it but think I deleted it.

Was a genuine question but can understand if you didn't wanna ask it...

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next