The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deleted

+11
Jimmythebullet
Cheikitout
oxring
StuDavies
eddyfightfan
skidd1
samevans1
Scottrf
sweet_pea
Sugar Boy Sweetie
D4thincarnation
15 posters

Go down

Deleted Empty Deleted

Post by D4thincarnation Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:44 am

Deleted

Last edited by D4thincarnation on Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Deleted Empty Re: Deleted

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:56 am

Typical example of a once great fighter carrying on too long. Presumably he doesn't need the money and is only fighting because he has too much of an emotional attachment or dependency on being involved in boxing to admit to himself that the games up. What in gods name he hopes to achieve by fighting lebedev us anyones guess, personally I'm not sure Jones is the full ticket.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:36 pm

i'm sure lebedev is wbo #1 contender... so i think jones is wanting a final title in his 5th division before he finally bows out.. or stretchered out.
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Yep, he wants one more title. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvWlJbhAv8I

If Haye doesn't want the fight, why not try with the next biggest puncher? Rolling Eyes

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:15 pm

sweet_pea wrote:i'm sure lebedev is wbo #1 contender... so i think jones is wanting a final title in his 5th division before he finally bows out.. or stretchered out.

Had to laugh at that Sweet pea!

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by skidd1 Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:39 pm

sweet_pea wrote:i'm sure lebedev is wbo #1 contender... so i think jones is wanting a final title in his 5th division before he finally bows out.. or stretchered out.

Cant say I laughed at it..I have a feeling it might be bang on the money however Sad

skidd1

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:48 pm

holyfield syndrome

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by StuDavies Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:51 am

Such a shame to see a true boxing legend who has accomplished a great deal within the sport to keep on running back to the well.

I wish he'd retire gracefully and be happy with what he's achieved, not carry on and risk possibly not being able to remember it all!

Same goes for Holyfield

StuDavies

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:00 am

If Roy had retired when he won the world HW title - we'd be still describing him as the greatest fighter ever to lace up a pair. He really was incredible. Sad that his love for the sport has tarnished his own legacy.

The biggest problem with Roy is that he doesn't have a matchmaker. Which is REALLY stupid. Roy needs fighters that are slow as molasses - and he's been fed the likes of Danny Green - who's slightly quick and very powerful. Green is all wrong for him - he should know better.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheikitout Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:03 am

didnt roy say a good few months back he fancys fighting haye! no i dont think hes all there and he obviously is too attached to the sport. if green can KO him 1 no doubt he will be slaughtered in this fight, he got nothing left, no real power, little speed and his reactions are slow, at least bhop has kept going by learning how to box better and improve his technique and defense plus of course fighting dirty. roys defence is no existant.

Cheikitout

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:51 am

I really hope he doesn't get hurt; I loved him back in the day.

The problem is, he has already been humiliated and yet shows no signs of retiring for good.

Hadn't he been having irregular brain activity recently as well? Very concerning...

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmythebullet Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:25 am

I wish he would quit right now. he is putting a dampner on his record getting blasted by the likes of danny green & risking his health. He didn't get hit to much back in the day, but he does now.

he has the hbo analyst role, so he would still be close to the sport. I know its not the same but its better than just going completely cold turkey

Jimmythebullet

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:53 am

It's simply a case of ego with Jones, I reckon. He keeps himself busy outside of the sport and has hundreds of millions in the bank; but as they old saying goes, a fighter is the first one to know when it's time to retire, but the last one to admit it.

Not sure if it's just me, but Jones doesn't quite seem the same in interviews these days - the knockouts against Tarver, Johnson and Green (as well as a battering over twelve rounds from Calzaghe) have taken their toll I think. A theory I have is that Jones is cottoning on (all too late) that there were a few question marks he left hanging over his career, and he feels as if he can eradicate them by returning to former glories now. Sadly, the last time Jones could be described as anything near to 'glorious' was eight years ago.

It's like Larry Holmes all over again. He feels that he never gets the due credit he deserves for his career achievements ('Y'all must have forgot', anyone?) and can't come to terms with the fact that he's yesterday's man. It's a shame, but not exactly rare.

He needs to stay well clear of Lebedev in particular, though. With this diminished reflexes and total lack of a defence, a genuine puncher at 200 lb is the very last thing he needs.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Youarethegreatest Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:20 am

roy jones v enzo mac somewhere in wales?

Youarethegreatest

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:30 am

If he fights lebedev he is going to get seriously hurt. Lebedev is the best cruiserweight and probably the hardest puncher.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by GeoffSnapes Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:16 pm

Roy is desperate to finish with a great win against a 'name' fighter. He doesn't want to retire on a defeat so is keeping going on the off chance of springing a surprise. I think if he'd beaten Calzaghe or Hopkins he would have retired - but he will keep going until he either wins or gets a career ending beating. Its sad to see and I hope he can win his next fight purely to see him retire. The match making hasn't been best as stated above with Green and now Lebedev - but I think its more of a case of whose willing to fight him. Well know American names will not (bar Hopkins who wanted 'revenge') - but its fair to say the likes of Danny Green aren't going to turn down a massive payday.
Boxing Challenges

GeoffSnapes

http://www.konkura.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down