The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing biopics - who would you choose?

+15
ShahenshahG
Pekchenko
John Bloody Wayne
Valero's Conscience
GerardMcL
School Project
Union Cane
huw
thecornerstool
BALTIMORA
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Michaels, Sean
HumanWindmill
Rowley
quentins_monkey
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Boxing biopics - who would you choose? Empty Boxing biopics - who would you choose?

Post by quentins_monkey Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 12:16

Here's something to ponder for a Thursday afternoon...

I was watching The Fighter earlier this week and it got me thinking - given that there are already a number of good boxing biopics out there, which one boxer's life story would you most like to see being made into a film and why?

Also who would you have playing the lead?

Ones I can currently think of that have already been done:(please add to the list as I'm sure there's more!)

Cinderella Man
Somebody Up There Likes Me
Raging Bull
The Hurricane
Gentleman Jim
Ali
The Fighter

Smile

quentins_monkey

Back to top Go down

Boxing biopics - who would you choose? Empty Re: Boxing biopics - who would you choose?

Post by Rowley Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 12:18

Sonny Liston would make a fascinating one, there was a cheap one made some time ago but it was poor by all accounts. There were rumours Spike Lee was going to make a Joe Louis one with Terrence Howard in the lead but don't think it got off the ground.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Boxing biopics - who would you choose? Empty Re: Boxing biopics - who would you choose?

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 12:20

Jack Dempsey.

Have no idea whatsoever who might be suitable to play the role.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 12:23

QM believe there is also a German biography of Schmeling, can't remember the name but believe Henry Miske plays Max.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by quentins_monkey Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 12:47

rowley wrote:Sonny Liston would make a fascinating one, there was a cheap one made some time ago but it was poor by all accounts. There were rumours Spike Lee was going to make a Joe Louis one with Terrence Howard in the lead but don't think it got off the ground.

According to wikipedia, they did one about Liston in 2008 called Phantom Punch starring Ving Rhames...

quentins_monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 12:56

That's the one mate, have not seen it but have heard reports it was pretty poor. Rhames also played Don King in a film about him as an aside.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 12:56

Nigel Benn.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/article522640.ece

You have the story of his youth with the crime and the death of his brother, the rise to stardom and his subsequent spiral to his suicide attempt.

I reckon it'd be a cracker with grown up Benn being played by Idris Elba off of Luther.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 12:58

Would love to see a Benny Lynch film. Their was supposed to be one made but his fam,ily put blockers on it. They felt he was being portrayed wrongly.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by quentins_monkey Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 12:59

Michaels, Sean wrote:Nigel Benn.

You have the story of his youth with the crime and the death of his brother, the rise to stardom and his subsequent spiral to his suicide attempt.

I reckon it'd be a cracker with grown up Benn being played by Idris Elba off of Luther.

Cheers for posting the article - really interesting read... would definitely make a fascinating film Smile

Didn't realise Idris Elba was English until I watched Luther as the first time I'd seen him was in The Wire...

quentins_monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 13:02

prettyboykev wrote:Would love to see a Benny Lynch film. Their was supposed to be one made but his fam,ily put blockers on it. They felt he was being portrayed wrongly.

They would struggle to make a worse job of it than the biography of Lynch I read. God awful that was.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 13:19

Stanley Ketchel, if only for the grim ending!

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 13:27

quentins_monkey wrote:
Michaels, Sean wrote:Nigel Benn.

Cheers for posting the article - really interesting read... would definitely make a fascinating film Smile

Didn't realise Idris Elba was English until I watched Luther as the first time I'd seen him was in The Wire...

It wasn't actually the article I thought it was. There was one in the Times over the summer as well.

I was just looking for the up to date interview and found this. It would make another great film script:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/boxing-the-night-michael-watsons-career-was-ended-2358050.html
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by thecornerstool Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 13:33

I think Michael Watsons story would be great.

thecornerstool

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 13:36

I think Floyd Paterson would be an interesting enough story to be made into a decent film.

Youngest ever heavyweight champ at the time, loads of mafia going ons with other fighters, would be good to have up until Sonny.

Just a fascinating story of someone who should have the world at his feet yet seemed so mentally fragile at the same time (taking a disguise to his fights in case he lost).

Obviously have several other boxers that I woudl rather watch films about but think his story would be good enough to appeal to more than just boxing fans.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 13:39

Don't forget 'The Greatest', with Muhammad Ali playing himself.

Absolutely terrible film.

Should Tyson Fury eventually make it to the top I'm sure there's a film to be made there. Premature birth, will he survive, named after Mike Tyson, father a boxer, grows up to be a 6'9 monster, uppercuts himself and becomes laughing stock, draws on his Irish/Mancunian/Traveller roots to build fanbase, wins over public with blood and thunder performances, wins world title. What a story.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 13:41

Edwin Valero... you could turn it into a horror movie

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 13:45

HumanWindmill wrote:Jack Dempsey.

Have no idea whatsoever who might be suitable to play the role.

My vote would go for Hugh Jackman. At 6'2" and with a far bit of acting ability, I'd suggest he'd be as good in the role of Dempsey as Russell Crowe was in playing Braddock.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 13:49

Just checked him out on Google image search. Absolutely agree that he'd be a good pick to play Dempsey.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 13:54

Union Cane wrote:Don't forget 'The Greatest', with Muhammad Ali playing himself.

Absolutely terrible film.

Should Tyson Fury eventually make it to the top I'm sure there's a film to be made there. Premature birth, will he survive, named after Mike Tyson, father a boxer, grows up to be a 6'9 monster, uppercuts himself and becomes laughing stock, draws on his Irish/Mancunian/Traveller roots to build fanbase, wins over public with blood and thunder performances, wins world title. What a story.

You forgot the bit where he blows his earnings on a fleet of double berth caravans and a pack of thorough bred whippets.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 13:55

It times like this I feel cheated that I didn't get to go to Hollywood and get into casting. They've overlooked Jackman for a role in an adaptation of a Lee Child book where the central character, Jack Reacher is 6'5" & 250lbs (so more suited to the likes of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson", but he's also an ex-military Policeman with a sharp investigative mind.

Some genius decided that the role should go to...Tom Cruise!

I believe Cruise only took this role as it was too late to get the role of Oprah Winfrey.

The life and times of Johnny Tapia would be a great film. Sadly the person I have in mind is the wrong build but has the right mentality for the role...Joe Pesci!

Back to top Go down

Post by GerardMcL Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 14:09

Harry Greb, reading his biography at the minute and its extraordinary what he went through. I have read a lot of boxing books up to this point but Grebs story defies belief.

Roberto Duran - the greatest LW of all time and such a fascinating character. There is no one who looks mean enough to play him though.

GerardMcL

Back to top Go down

Post by thecornerstool Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 14:13

Tommy Morrison might be interesting.

thecornerstool

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 14:18

rowley wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Would love to see a Benny Lynch film. Their was supposed to be one made but his fam,ily put blockers on it. They felt he was being portrayed wrongly.

They would struggle to make a worse job of it than the biography of Lynch I read. God awful that was.

What was it called?

The film was going to portray him as a tramp walking around with his trousers held up by string and eating out of bins. Obviously after his career had ended and the drink had taken over. There is a lot of stuff wrote about him not sure what to believe although I have read this before. Given he died of malnutrition or pneumonia depending where you read it doesn't seem that far fetched.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 14:20

Valero's career's and life would be interesting with very dark areas to cover, but would be a story with nothing positive occurring or a happy ending so would be a very harrowing and depressing film.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by quentins_monkey Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 14:21

DAVE667 wrote:It times like this I feel cheated that I didn't get to go to Hollywood and get into casting. They've overlooked Jackman for a role in an adaptation of a Lee Child book where the central character, Jack Reacher is 6'5" & 250lbs (so more suited to the likes of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson", but he's also an ex-military Policeman with a sharp investigative mind.

Some genius decided that the role should go to...Tom Cruise!

I believe Cruise only took this role as it was too late to get the role of Oprah Winfrey.

The life and times of Johnny Tapia would be a great film. Sadly the person I have in mind is the wrong build but has the right mentality for the role...Joe Pesci!

Don't get me started on Jack Reacher - have read all of Lee Child's books and was gutted to hear this! How on earth anyone though Tom Cruise would be the best man for the job is beyond me... mad

quentins_monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by quentins_monkey Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 14:28

Just read that there could be talk of a Bernard Hopkins biopic... with 50 cent playing him... would have been interested in watching this however having seen "Fiddy"'s acting ability in Get Rich or Die Tryin', think it'll be one to avoid...

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2011/03/bernard-hopkins-wants-50-cent-for-biopic/

quentins_monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 14:31

"HOPKINS WANTS 50 CENT FOR BIOPIC"

Personally I'm more inclined to believe this really Hopkins is happy to sell his life story for half a dollar.

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 14:35

DAVE667 wrote:"HOPKINS WANTS 50 CENT FOR BIOPIC"

Personally I'm more inclined to believe this really Hopkins is happy to sell his life story for half a dollar.

I can't imagine Fiddy wanting his salad tossed.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 14:37

Michaels, Sean wrote:

Are you trying to?

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 14:39

huw wrote:
Michaels, Sean wrote:

Are you trying to?

"Yo Sade, it's my birthday, we're gonna toss my salad like it's my birthday"

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 14:41

DAVE667 wrote:
huw wrote:
Michaels, Sean wrote:

Are you trying to?

"Yo Sade, it's my birthday, we're gonna toss my salad like it's my birthday"

we're gonna sip my bumcrack like it's my birthday.....
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 14:47

I thought Liston as soon as I read this.

One mistake I think all boxing films make (other than Raging Bull where De Niro absolutely made the film) is using stars. Often if I'm watching a film with a really famous actor, I'll refer to the character by the actor's name, because the celebrity over shadows the acting ability.

When it comes to biopics they'd be much more convincing with genuinely talented unknowns than big $ movie stars.

Has DAVE honestly not mentioned Peter Jackson?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 14:48

If Pacquiao v Mayweather ever happened I can imagine a film about two guys from completely different up bringings, cultures that don't compare. Two different personalities from different sides of the world who are made synonymous with each other by the sport...or something cheesey like that.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 14:56

John Bloody Wayne wrote:I thought Liston as soon as I read this.

One mistake I think all boxing films make (other than Raging Bull where De Niro absolutely made the film) is using stars. Often if I'm watching a film with a really famous actor, I'll refer to the character by the actor's name, because the celebrity over shadows the acting ability.

When it comes to biopics they'd be much more convincing with genuinely talented unknowns than big $ movie stars.

Has DAVE honestly not mentioned Peter Jackson?

Come now, no-one could do the man justice. The only black actors they seem to have are Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman. I don't want to see the life and times of Peter Jackson portrayed on screen by the likes of Busta Rhymes either

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 14:58

We'd have to breed some form of black hollywood adonis.

A man with Freeman's voice, Jackson's swag and Foxx's ability to wear sunglasses.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Pekchenko Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 14:59

I was thinking a film about the Klitschko's with Danielle Radcliffe as Wlad and Charles Hawtrey as Vitali?

Pekchenko

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 15:02

Pekchenko wrote:I was thinking a film about the Klitschko's with Danielle Radcliffe as Wlad and Charles Hawtrey as Vitali?

Given Tom Crusie is playing a character who is supposedly 6'5" and 250lbs in his new film, that might not be so far fetched.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pekchenko Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 15:09

Not too sure i should really be comparing the mighty Klitshckos to two bespectacled fudge packers- but maybe Gary Coleman could play David Haye?

Pekchenko

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 15:14

Pekchenko wrote:Not too sure i should really be comparing the mighty Klitshckos to two bespectacled fudge packers- but maybe Gary Coleman could play David Haye?

Given he is dead he would appear eminently qualified to replicate Haye's performance in the Wlad fight.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 15:19

rowley wrote:
Pekchenko wrote:Not too sure i should really be comparing the mighty Klitshckos to two bespectacled fudge packers- but maybe Gary Coleman could play David Haye?

Given he is dead he would appear eminently qualified to replicate Haye's performance in the Wlad fight.
[
Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Rowley?

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 15:24

This'll probably get moved off topic, but seeing as physical resemblence is an aside, maybe Clooney and Cruise could play the KBros. Both are allegedly shirtlifters in real life.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Pekchenko Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 15:31

I can categorically state Shawn that there are no rumours suggesting that Tom Cruise, Will Smith and John Travolta are gay and they are simply involved in marriages of convenience

Pekchenko

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 17:05

Lads, about the Jack reacher books. Theres one based in a snow blocked town with an underground bunker containing something or other - with a prison/insane asylum integral to the plot. Would appreciate if you could give me the name of the book. bar stewards bt have cut of my net at home for not paying the bill... the bill is due to be posted by them tommorow. bumholes.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 17:11

prettyboykev wrote:
rowley wrote:

What was it called?

The film was going to portray him as a tramp walking around with his trousers held up by string and eating out of bins. Obviously after his career had ended and the drink had taken over. There is a lot of stuff wrote about him not sure what to believe although I have read this before. Given he died of malnutrition or pneumonia depending where you read it doesn't seem that far fetched.

Kev believe it is just called Benny is by a guy called John Burrowes or something similar. Is well written but is more a book about social conditions in Glasgow in the 30s and the characters who grew up there. Now for me if you are reading a book about a Scottish flyweight champion from nearly 100 years ago you're a pretty big boxing fan, as such you should perhaps appreciate this and cover some of the fights in a little detail. For Lynch's title shot he devotes two pages to the songs and reception he received at the train station and a paragraph to the actual fight, and I'm not exaggerating on that. Pity because Lynch's is obviously a story worth telling

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 17:57

ShahenshahG wrote:Lads, about the Jack reacher books. Theres one based in a snow blocked town with an underground bunker containing something or other - with a prison/insane asylum integral to the plot. Would appreciate if you could give me the name of the book. bar stewards bt have cut of my net at home for not paying the bill... the bill is due to be posted by them tommorow. bumholes.
Shah, if memory serves, it's called "61 Hours"

The one after that, "Worth Dying For", is brilliant. Back to Reacher breaking bones and causing MAJOR havoc!

Back to top Go down

Post by md_fan Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 20:54

rowley wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
rowley wrote:

What was it called?

Kev believe it is just called Benny is by a guy called John Burrowes or something similar. Is well written but is more a book about social conditions in Glasgow in the 30s and the characters who grew up there. Now for me if you are reading a book about a Scottish flyweight champion from nearly 100 years ago you're a pretty big boxing fan, as such you should perhaps appreciate this and cover some of the fights in a little detail. For Lynch's title shot he devotes two pages to the songs and reception he received at the train station and a paragraph to the actual fight, and I'm not exaggerating on that. Pity because Lynch's is obviously a story worth telling

Mark McManus (Taggart) played Benny Lynch in a TV movie. I remember seeing it back in the 70's. My dad was a Benny Lynch fan having been born in 1920 - his friend Jim Brady fought Benny Lynch several times and took him to a draw once.

md_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 21:35

Cheers Dave. I bought the other one but left it on the kitchen table then my little brother spilt lamb curry over it. Will buy again when I get time off work.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 21:47

DAVE667 wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:Lads, about the Jack reacher books. Theres one based in a snow blocked town with an underground bunker containing something or other - with a prison/insane asylum integral to the plot. Would appreciate if you could give me the name of the book. bar stewards bt have cut of my net at home for not paying the bill... the bill is due to be posted by them tommorow. bumholes.

The one after that, "Worth Dying For", is brilliant. Back to Reacher breaking bones and causing MAJOR havoc!

I'll probably get lambasted for this, but I'm not a fan of the Reacher series. Well written, but I find Reacher hard to connect with. The few that I've read make him seem more and more like a superhero with every turn of the page. The last one I read was "The Hard Way" and really didn't enjoy it.

Give me any of the early Charlie Parker novels by John Connolly. After "The White Road" they are rubbish, but the first four are sublime.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Twitchey Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 21:50

I think that Chris Eubank's story is great - and he would make an excellent on screen character (played by the right guy).

Twitchey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 23:20

6oldenbhoy wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

I'll probably get lambasted for this, but I'm not a fan of the Reacher series. Well written, but I find Reacher hard to connect with. The few that I've read make him seem more and more like a superhero with every turn of the page. The last one I read was "The Hard Way" and really didn't enjoy it.

Give me any of the early Charlie Parker novels by John Connolly. After "The White Road" they are rubbish, but the first four are sublime.
the Parker novels are great, but you should check out the Matt Scudder series by Lawrence Block or the Bernie Gunther series by Philip Kerr or the Bob Lee Swagger/Earl Swagger series by Stephen Hunter OR the Dave Robicheaux series by James Lee Burke OR....I could go on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next