The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing biopics - who would you choose?

+15
ShahenshahG
Pekchenko
John Bloody Wayne
Valero's Conscience
GerardMcL
School Project
Union Cane
huw
thecornerstool
BALTIMORA
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Michaels, Sean
HumanWindmill
Rowley
quentins_monkey
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Boxing biopics - who would you choose? - Page 2 Empty Boxing biopics - who would you choose?

Post by quentins_monkey Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

Here's something to ponder for a Thursday afternoon...

I was watching The Fighter earlier this week and it got me thinking - given that there are already a number of good boxing biopics out there, which one boxer's life story would you most like to see being made into a film and why?

Also who would you have playing the lead?

Ones I can currently think of that have already been done:(please add to the list as I'm sure there's more!)

Cinderella Man
Somebody Up There Likes Me
Raging Bull
The Hurricane
Gentleman Jim
Ali
The Fighter

Smile

quentins_monkey

Back to top Go down

Boxing biopics - who would you choose? - Page 2 Empty Re: Boxing biopics - who would you choose?

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:25 pm

Reading the Robicheaux novels now. Unfortunately I've been reading them out of order, but "Pegasus Descending" was superb. Wasn't keen on "Jolie Blon's Bounce". Reading "Last Car To Elysian Fields" now. Will have to check out the other ones you've mentioned. Cheers for the tip.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Boxing biopics - who would you choose? - Page 2 Empty Re: Boxing biopics - who would you choose?

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 23 Sep 2011, 9:14 am

DAVE667 wrote:
6oldenbhoy wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:Lads, about the Jack reacher books. Theres one based in a snow blocked town with an underground bunker containing something or other - with a prison/insane asylum integral to the plot. Would appreciate if you could give me the name of the book. bar stewards bt have cut of my net at home for not paying the bill... the bill is due to be posted by them tommorow. bumholes.
Shah, if memory serves, it's called "61 Hours"

The one after that, "Worth Dying For", is brilliant. Back to Reacher breaking bones and causing MAJOR havoc!

I'll probably get lambasted for this, but I'm not a fan of the Reacher series. Well written, but I find Reacher hard to connect with. The few that I've read make him seem more and more like a superhero with every turn of the page. The last one I read was "The Hard Way" and really didn't enjoy it.

Give me any of the early Charlie Parker novels by John Connolly. After "The White Road" they are rubbish, but the first four are sublime.
the Parker novels are great, but you should check out the Matt Scudder series by Lawrence Block or the Bernie Gunther series by Philip Kerr or the Bob Lee Swagger/Earl Swagger series by Stephen Hunter OR the Dave Robicheaux series by James Lee Burke OR....I could go on.

I agree with you although not about the quality of the later books. I read them in reverse order so perhaps i'm not fit to judge that. Jackie and the Fulci bro's crack me up.

I also agree with you about the reacher novels/character .. I enjoy it as it is - well written book, but he is like god mode on computer games, fun for the moment. A Gary Stu - but good to read if you have a few hours at work.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 23 Sep 2011, 9:12 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
6oldenbhoy wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:Lads, about the Jack reacher books. Theres one based in a snow blocked town with an underground bunker containing something or other - with a prison/insane asylum integral to the plot. Would appreciate if you could give me the name of the book. bar stewards bt have cut of my net at home for not paying the bill... the bill is due to be posted by them tommorow. bumholes.
Shah, if memory serves, it's called "61 Hours"

The one after that, "Worth Dying For", is brilliant. Back to Reacher breaking bones and causing MAJOR havoc!

I'll probably get lambasted for this, but I'm not a fan of the Reacher series. Well written, but I find Reacher hard to connect with. The few that I've read make him seem more and more like a superhero with every turn of the page. The last one I read was "The Hard Way" and really didn't enjoy it.

Give me any of the early Charlie Parker novels by John Connolly. After "The White Road" they are rubbish, but the first four are sublime.

the Parker novels are great, but you should check out the Matt Scudder series by Lawrence Block or the Bernie Gunther series by Philip Kerr or the Bob Lee Swagger/Earl Swagger series by Stephen Hunter OR the Dave Robicheaux series by James Lee Burke OR....I could go on.

I agree with you although not about the quality of the later books. I read them in reverse order so perhaps
i'm not fit to judge that. Jackie and the Fulci bro's crack me up.

I also agree with you about the reacher novels/character .. I enjoy it as it is - well written book, but he is like god mode on computer games, fun for the moment. A Gary Stu - but good to read if you have a few hours at work.

Agree on Jackie Garner and the Fulci brothers, do give a light hearted edge to the series that Angel and Louis originally brought. But feel the latter books are not a patch on the first four ("Every Dead Thing" and "The Killing Kind" in particular. "The Black Angel" had a great premise but Connolly unfortunately didn't pull it off. Didn't mind "The Unquiet" and "The Lovers" but wouldn't highly recommend them.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 25 Sep 2011, 9:28 pm

The Michael Gomez film was all but made, anybody know what has happened to it?
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2