The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book, covers and judging.

+10
BlueCoverman
George1507
SmithersJones
navyblueshorts
JAS
drive4show
Maverick
MustPuttBetter
JPX
super_realist
14 posters

Go down

Book, covers and judging. Empty Book, covers and judging.

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:44 pm

Having obtained a late entry and been drawn with two (extremely) high handicappers at the weekend I made the assumption that what they lacked in golfing ability would be made up by banter, joviality and general good company, as simply playing the game to a decent standard is only one reason for playing it, as that has been my experience.
Now, while I personally wouldn't enjoy being a high handicapper, I can see what some people get out of it, as it's usually an excuse to get some fresh air and a bit of a chat. However these two were not only extremely lucky to have handicaps as "low" as 21 and 27 but were the most loathesome, humourless and unpleasant company I've ever had the misfortune to endure. I tried my best but simply could not raise any communication at all. They made me look like Kriss Akabussi on a mixture of extacy and laughing gas. I lasted four holes and walked off in disgust.
The question is, why play golf if you don't enjoy it?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Book, covers and judging. Empty Re: Book, covers and judging.

Post by JPX Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:48 pm

super_realist wrote:They made me look like Kriss Akabussi on a mixture of extacy and laughing gas.

LOL. I think everyone's played with these kinds, they play as though they hate the game and would rather be doing something else. Nightmare scenario.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:52 pm

super_realist wrote:The question is, why play golf if you don't enjoy it?

For the chicks of course!! Laugh
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:20 pm

Interesting point SR, When I played in our recent club stableford, was drawn with a 3 other players all higher handicaps as I was entered as a reserve so was a case of play where your put rather than being part of the usual division split drawer.

2 of the guys both handicaps in their 20's clearly got enjoyment from the game and hitting a good shot, and were happy to indulge in the banter of their bad shots and were really enjoyable company. The other guy, didn't speak a word other than hello and goodbye, spent the whole round with a face like a bull dog licking urine off a stinging nettle. Never murmoured good shot to the guys when it was deserved, and barely mouthed his score for the hole when asked. When got back to the clubhouse few guys said see you played with Happy did he speak today.

So I can understand why guys with higher handicaps plays as I met 2 new friends that day but the other guy well no idea!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:29 pm

There is at least one of these guys in every club. One I can think of at my place is in his 70's and still plays off a very respectable 7 or 8 handicap but even his 'friends' say he is a miserable bugger.

It's just the way some people are I guess, they are happiest when they are miserable.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:35 pm

drive4show wrote:There is at least one of these guys in every club. One I can think of at my place is in his 70's and still plays off a very respectable 7 or 8 handicap but even his 'friends' say he is a miserable bugger.

It's just the way some people are I guess, they are happiest when they are miserable.

Indeed each club has it's very on Victor Meldrew

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:44 pm

I can honestly say I've never had the misfortune to play with anyone that miserable. Even during my slump when I myself wasn't enjoying my golf I had enough gallows humour to get me through bad rounds without my playing partners thinking...what a miserable bugger!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:49 pm

Maverick wrote:...Indeed each club has it's very on Victor Meldrew

I had a couple of 'Victor' moments at the weekend I have to admit, both the result of airmailing a green with my 52°. Doh.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:50 pm

JAS, how do you know? thumbsup
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:50 pm

Mind you when you look at balance, do you really want to play golf with someone so jovial they verge on being the 3rd Chuckle brother. Because I've played with one of those guys to and it's just as annoying. What you need is just plain friendly people a bit of banter, not a Victor Meldrew who makes you feel as though breathing is a sin, nor do you want to be with someone so overly jovial they are the coutrt jest and you want to remove their airsupply

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:23 pm

Sorry, but the sourpuss in this story has to be you. We all know you think you should be playing with tour pros, despite being off 15 or whatever it is, but walking off after 4 holes is downright rude even if your playing partners can't play at all.

And indeed, why do you play golf if you don't enjoy it, and can't bear to put up with less than perfect company in order to play? Scoring and competitive golf are no longer of interest to you (what a cop out) and now seemingly playing with anyone who's not the life and soul of the party is so distressing to you that you'd rather disappear off the course. You need a reality check, pal.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:34 pm

Smithers, firstly I don't think I should be playing with tour pro's, i don't even think I should be playing with the best players at my club, I'd already stated that i'd accepted I wouldn't be playing with similar handicaps by virtue of a late entry and that high handicappers are usually good company despite their lack of playing skills.
It wasn't that they couldn't play that I walked off, but that they were downright hostile and wretched company. I'd rather go up 0.1 than have to endure that.
I don't even expect people to be the life and soul, just a bit of courtesy/friendliness.
Scoring and competitive golf are very important to me (don't know where you got the idea that it isn't from, perhaps you are confusing me with Mac) but what's the point of staying out for 4 hours with two people so miserable that you'd rather be dragged along the ground on my face than spend it with them.
Hopefully I'll never be drawn with a curmudgeon like you.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:40 pm

SJ, I think you might to some extent be confusing SR with Mac. It's Mac who doesn't play competitively and is famous for his ever fluctuating handicap. We know its somewhere between 3 and 18 Laugh
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 26 Sep 2011, 3:00 pm

I can't imagine what these guys made of you walking off. If they were that bad, your name will be mud now.

Personally I don't think it's right to walk off however bad things are. I'm with SJ on this one.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 26 Sep 2011, 3:06 pm

drive4show wrote:There is at least one of these guys in every club. One I can think of at my place is in his 70's and still plays off a very respectable 7 or 8 handicap but even his 'friends' say he is a miserable bugger.

Yep we have one, he plays in plus 4's rain or shine and can sometimes even complete a hole in under 30 minutes.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Sep 2011, 3:08 pm

George, I made the excuse that the round was too slow as the course was backed up. I didn't tell them that they were unacceptable company.
It's very rare that I walk off, but sometimes situations dictate. I'm perfectily within my rights to walk off, don't see how my name will be mud. People walk off for far less, eg bad weather, poor scores etc.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 26 Sep 2011, 3:22 pm

I would imagine that most of us have had the misfortune to be drawn with people that we would not normally want to spend any time with.

On the odd occasion that it has happened to me I just put my head down and concentrate on my own game. Never crossed my mind to walk off the course though...

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Sep 2011, 3:30 pm

Blue, I'd normally do the same, but this was worse than ever. I was polite, made my "excuses" shook their hands, signed the card at the appropriate hole and went off.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 26 Sep 2011, 3:35 pm

super_realist wrote:Smithers, firstly I don't think I should be playing with tour pro's, i don't even think I should be playing with the best players at my club, I'd already stated that i'd accepted I wouldn't be playing with similar handicaps by virtue of a late entry and that high handicappers are usually good company despite their lack of playing skills.
It wasn't that they couldn't play that I walked off, but that they were downright hostile and wretched company. I'd rather go up 0.1 than have to endure that.
I don't even expect people to be the life and soul, just a bit of courtesy/friendliness.
Scoring and competitive golf are very important to me (don't know where you got the idea that it isn't from, perhaps you are confusing me with Mac) but what's the point of staying out for 4 hours with two people so miserable that you'd rather be dragged along the ground on my face than spend it with them.
Hopefully I'll never be drawn with a curmudgeon like you.

Apologies S_R, I was confusing you with Mac. In light of that your comments seemed less favourable and more self-centred than they actually are, so sorry for having a go. I've never had the misfortune to have such an unpleasant draw, and nor I hope has anyone I've played with. One of my 3 ball, who we'd waited for specially, walked off on Saturday after 9 just because he wasn't playing well, (that's what he said, maybe it was my company!) and I found it very poor form, so it was a bit of a touchy subject (not least because I played well on the front nine and then with the stop start rhythm on the back fell apart a bit!).

I personally don't think it's ever right to walk off, but then I've never felt it to be a preferable option so in light of your experience I guess I've been lucky. Either that or it's like the old Jasper Carrott joke; 'My wife's never had a car accident. She's seen thousands'.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Sep 2011, 3:44 pm

No problem Smithers, and apologies for calling you a curmudgeon. I hope you never have to have a draw like that, it was the coldest, frostiest environment I've ever had to play in and really made me cross.
Clearly it was two old codgers hoping to be out on their own in the last slot of the day and I was made to feel as welcome as Bernard Manning farting in your face.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 26 Sep 2011, 4:37 pm

I try to be pretty sociable on the course but have on occasion in the past (often in Opens or similar) been drawn with people who either don't like my company or are solely interested in just playing golf. I tend in those situations to taylor my behaviour to match rheirs. If they don't want to chat then I'll just keep my head down and concentrate on my own game.

Not ideal but gets me through the round.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 26 Sep 2011, 4:44 pm

drive4show wrote:I try to be pretty sociable on the course but have on occasion in the past (often in Opens or similar) been drawn with people who either don't like my company or are solely interested in just playing golf. I tend in those situations to taylor my behaviour to match rheirs. If they don't want to chat then I'll just keep my head down and concentrate on my own game.

Not ideal but gets me through the round.

Best thing you can do that D4S, problem is when you get someone thats miserable but vocal about it.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 26 Sep 2011, 4:49 pm

I do not consider myself to be miserable or bad company but for some reason on two occasions playing partners have refused the offer of an after round beverage. In both instances it was made clear that the reason for passing up on a drink was because they did not wish to spend another minute in my company. I do believe it does not come much ruder than that.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 26 Sep 2011, 4:52 pm

McLaren wrote:I do not consider myself to be miserable or bad company but for some reason on two occasions playing partners have refused the offer of an after round beverage. In both instances it was made clear that the reason for passing up on a drink was because they did not wish to spend another minute in my company. I do believe it does not come much ruder than that.

Mac maybe you should consider then your attitude/behaviour that caused them to not want to spend another minute in your company, a one off you could say the other guys got issues, but twice would suggest theres something about you thats made them feel that way

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Sep 2011, 5:00 pm

Mac, what would Oscar Wilde say about that?

To be turned turn for one drink might be unfortunate, to be turned down for two looks like a personal issue.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 26 Sep 2011, 5:05 pm

If work is curse of the drinking man then what is golf to the drinking man?

Maybe they could not handle my wit and superior level of conversation?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 26 Sep 2011, 5:21 pm

Groucho Marx (ish) - 'I've had an enjoyable round of golf. This just wasn't it'
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Sep 2011, 5:31 pm

McLaren wrote:If work is curse of the drinking man then what is golf to the drinking man?

Maybe they could not handle my wit and superior level of conversation?
More likely they'd had enough of being lectured about course design and sick to death of being informed about the doak scale Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 26 Sep 2011, 5:35 pm

Super

One of the times I was about 17 so it is not even like they would have had to buy me a pint, a simple OJ would have kept me happy. I guess there is just no accounting for taste.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 26 Sep 2011, 8:09 pm

Mac

I'll have a game of golf followed by a pint with you anytime, I think it would be a very interesting experience Smile

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Mon 26 Sep 2011, 8:33 pm

Ditto Drive. It's high time us southern folks venture north and meet some of the northern folk for some friendly banter and competition. We've certainly talked it over enough......
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Sep 2011, 9:07 pm

We can all decline Mac's offer of a pint in unison then! cider raspberry

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 26 Sep 2011, 9:13 pm

super_realist wrote:We can all decline Mac's offer of a pint in unison then! cider raspberry

BEHAVE!!

Laugh

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by goodwalkspoiled Mon 26 Sep 2011, 9:34 pm

Really don't think there is any excuse for walking off in the middle of a round TBH, bar injury. You playing "partners" may have been rude themselves but two wrongs etc. I would be a tad embarrassed about this SR. Indeed, did you not have a go at a certain Mr Lyle for doing this very thing at the Open once, in a thread about potential Ryder Cup captains - sounds like he had a better excuse than your own !
goodwalkspoiled
goodwalkspoiled

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Sep 2011, 9:40 pm

GWS,
Life is too short for the one sporting pleasure I get in a week to be ruined by two intolerable choobs, walking off in a tinpot end of season medal is a lot different to Lyle walking off as a professional in a major event so I don't think I've got anything to be "embarassed" about, in fact I'd probably be more fed up with myself had I endured their ghastly company for a full 18. I've got better things to do than waste my time in purgatory. Lyle simply wasn't playing well and had a cream puff, I've never walked off whilst playing badly. I had a legitimate reason in this case.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by goodwalkspoiled Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:04 pm

SR
I'm afraid we will just have to agree to disagree about whether you had a legitimate reason ....

goodwalkspoiled
goodwalkspoiled

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:08 pm

Fair enough, but you wouldn't endure any other social occasion in such circumstances so I don't see why I should just because golf has some ridiculous notion of "fair play" to uphold. Why should I show them courtesy when they showed me none?
Those two old spunkers can get stuffed and have their cosy, grumpy love in on their own as far as I am concerned. It's not against the rules to take objection to the company and walk in, and it's unlikely to happen again to me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:29 pm

super_realist wrote:Fair enough, but you wouldn't endure any other social occasion in such circumstances so I don't see why I should just because golf has some ridiculous notion of "fair play" to uphold. Why should I show them courtesy when they showed me none?
Those two old spunkers can get stuffed and have their cosy, grumpy love in on their own as far as I am concerned. It's not against the rules to take objection to the company and walk in, and it's unlikely to happen again to me.

Just playing devil's advocate a bit, but if you feel you had a legitimate reason, and you didn't feel the need to show them courtesy, then why did you make up an excuse rather than tell them the truth?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:37 pm

Smithers,
Would you rather I told them they were a pair of ignorant c***s?
No matter what I thought of them, chances are in a club of thousands of members I'm not likely to meet them again. Course, I could have done that, but it's better to avoid uneccessary confrontation in my experience. They'd already made feel pretty uncomfortable, the last thing I needed was to be seething by the time I got back. I might not have shown them much courtesy by walking off, but it would it worse had I pulled them up for what well may have been just their personalities. There are plenty of people who take a tube of grumpy pills in the morning and rejoice in being miserable.
I made my excuses and left, whether the excuse was true or not is irrelevant. Simple. Anyway the whole point was, not why they behaved like a pair of idiots,but why they bother to play when they didn't appear to enjoy a single element of the game.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 26 Sep 2011, 11:09 pm

super_realist wrote:Smithers,
Would you rather I told them they were a pair of ignorant c***s?
No matter what I thought of them, chances are in a club of thousands of members I'm not likely to meet them again. Course, I could have done that, but it's better to avoid uneccessary confrontation in my experience. They'd already made feel pretty uncomfortable, the last thing I needed was to be seething by the time I got back. I might not have shown them much courtesy by walking off, but it would it worse had I pulled them up for what well may have been just their personalities. There are plenty of people who take a tube of grumpy pills in the morning and rejoice in being miserable.
I made my excuses and left, whether the excuse was true or not is irrelevant. Simple. Anyway the whole point was, not why they behaved like a pair of idiots,but why they bother to play when they didn't appear to enjoy a single element of the game.

If they were being positively rude to you, thus spoiling your game and forcing you to walk off then yes, I think I would rather that. At least I'd rather you politely told them that you found them unwelcoming and unbearable company. Many people wouldn't be aware of the impact of their attitude/behaviour and some may even be grateful for the wake-up call. Others wouldn't care, but then why should you?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:30 pm

Re: not meeting for a drink afterwards...

Is this considered offensive to decline a drink afterwards?
I usually have a good laugh with who i am playing with but sometimes I work sunday afternoons or there is a Scottish football game on that I would watch at home (nobody shows Scottish games if there is English matches on) I always tell my partners why I will not be having a drink (it will be for one of these two reasons) Sometimes I do have a sneeky pint or coffee but I have never been that bothered if my partners can't as I understand that 4-5 hrs including travel to and from club are a big chunk out of somebodys day as we all have other commitments

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:37 pm

Tarka, Things must be pretty bad if you'd rather watch Scottish Football than have a pint.
In I'd rather have a pint of Cyanide than watch Scottish Football Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:57 pm

super_realist wrote:Tarka, Things must be pretty bad if you'd rather watch Scottish Football than have a pint.
In I'd rather have a pint of Cyanide than watch Scottish Football Laugh

NEVER watch english football unless I am in a pub and its on. I love scottish football, what i was brought up with although it is in serious decline, no doubt about it. Going over for Rennes V Celtic, Europa league on 20th Oct. Booked the boat and train, going myself, gonna get absolutely banjoed on these little bottles of french lager

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down