The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you rate Lewis's win over Tyson?

+20
rapidringsroad
horizontalhero
Big Paul
TRUSSMAN66
John Bloody Wayne
oxring
smashingstormcrow
Knowsit17
Waingro
manos de piedra
Fists of Fury
Atila
Valero's Conscience
huw
Super D Boon
captain carrantuohil
Bob
Scottrf
Rowley
ONETWOFOREVER
24 posters

Go down

Do you rate Lewis's win over Tyson? Empty Do you rate Lewis's win over Tyson?

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 29 Sep 2011, 3:39 pm

On more then 1 occasion Lennox Lewis has singled out his win over Mike Tyson as his most important victory. Lewis has stated that he could not leave the game of boxing without beating Tyson as it would raise questions to his legacy if he did not. I have to disagree with Lewis. Tyson was more then washed up when they met physically and mentally. Tyson admitted after the fight that he knew he could not beat Lewis. I think Lewis's win over Vitali should go down as his best win because of the longevity of Vitali who is still champion today. I don't understand why Lewis brings this fight up for self praise as the majority of fight fans don't see it that way.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Do you rate Lewis's win over Tyson? Empty Re: Do you rate Lewis's win over Tyson?

Post by Rowley Thu 29 Sep 2011, 3:43 pm

Don't really put too much stock in it to be honest. Can understand why Lewis wanted the fight, both fought at a similar era and so probably wanted the closure, also having seen how commited some of the Tyson fan boys get would be plenty still arguing he would have beaten Lewis or Lewis ducked him had it not happened.

However would agree it is not too meaningful a win and Lennox has better on his ledger.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Do you rate Lewis's win over Tyson? Empty Re: Do you rate Lewis's win over Tyson?

Post by Scottrf Thu 29 Sep 2011, 3:43 pm

Wasn't Tyson in there (figuratively before Union or DAVE comments).

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Thu 29 Sep 2011, 3:45 pm

no.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 29 Sep 2011, 3:45 pm

You can argue that it was his most important win in a way, certainly at the time. Lewis gets plenty of abuse as it is for who he fought and when. Had he not fought Tyson at all, there's no telling how many "experts" would be assuring us today that Tyson would always have had too much for Lewis.

His best win? Not in a million years, since you need an opponent who isn't a couple of steps removed from being shot to qualify for that title. I still reckon that either his demolition of Ruddock or his near shut-out of Tua could be cited, in their different ways, as his best win.

In retrospect, his best RESULT might indeed be the Klitschko fight. Couldn't really suggest that this was Lennox at his best, though.

There is a clear difference between most important win and best performance to achieve it.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 29 Sep 2011, 3:52 pm

Tyson was the of equivalent Jones Jr on Calzaghe's ledger. Both wins against huge names way past their peak.

But don't agree on the VK victory being his best. The fight had a little bit of fortune for Lewis whilst a valid argument could be made for VK being a little green.

There is no obvious stand out win because the Holyfield 2 win was a win but not a dominant win as such as he dismantled Holyfiled 1 but of course was handed a very dubious draw which spoiled it.

Personally I rate Lewis' revenge on Rahman as very significant not because Rahman was great (far from it) but the manner of retribution was excellent. Lewis despite being way better could have had a mental block with Rahman but blasted the clown out of there. Kind of wish Khan had taken the chance to shut up Breidis Prescott for good and I feel this will have a negative effect on Amir Khan's legacy when he leaves in the sport. Nothing more a boxing historian likes than an avenged loss particulary in spectacular fashion.

Yeah I'm gonna say Rahman 2

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 29 Sep 2011, 3:54 pm

It probably earned him a lot of money and US respect though.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 29 Sep 2011, 3:55 pm

I agree, I don't know anyone who rates Lewis' victory over Tyson as his best win or close to it.

It isn't Lewis' fault he couldn't fight Tyson sooner and although Tyson didn't duck him, he certainly was the reason they didn't fight sooner i.e. he was doing porridge!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 29 Sep 2011, 3:55 pm

I worked with a few of guys who literally laughed at me when I said Lewis was going to beat Tyson. They had that feeling that all Tyson had to do was get in shape, show up and that Lewis would be KO'd. One sports pundit on TV picked Tyson to win in one round.

So for me, it was an important win.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 29 Sep 2011, 3:59 pm

Atila wrote:I worked with a few of guys who literally laughed at me when I said Lewis was going to beat Tyson. They had that feeling that all Tyson had to do was get in shape, show up and that Lewis would be KO'd. One sports pundit on TV picked Tyson to win in one round.

Likewise Atila, was telling anyone who would listen Lewis would destroy him, they kept going on about Berbick and Spinks whilst forgetting they were 15 years ago.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Thu 29 Sep 2011, 4:04 pm

Atila wrote:I worked with a few of guys who literally laughed at me when I said Lewis was going to beat Tyson. They had that feeling that all Tyson had to do was get in shape, show up and that Lewis would be KO'd. One sports pundit on TV picked Tyson to win in one round.

On the old BBC board there was a poll done shortly after Hatton beat Tszyu of Hatton v Duran. About 40% of people tipped Hatton.

I guess what I'm trying to say is even people who claim to follow a sport can be as thick as f*ck.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 29 Sep 2011, 4:22 pm

That was the first PPV fight i ever saw and from what i remember a dull fight.

I wasn't into boxing then and people i knew told me Lewis should win and when the first bell rang it never looked in doubt!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 29 Sep 2011, 4:22 pm

As the others say, nowhere near his best win, but he had to take the fight to save the know it alls saying Tyson would have obliterated him.

For the record, I think that Lewis beats Tyson at any point in time, so the timing of it wasn't overly significant in my mind.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 29 Sep 2011, 4:27 pm

I dont rate the win at all really. Not only was Tyson physically past it but mentally he wasnt even showing up to win.

I can understand the point that had they never fought it would leave the door open for people to speculate on a Tyson win but losing to Williams or McBride would make that argument extremelly weak.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Thu 29 Sep 2011, 4:30 pm

Lewis destroyed Tyson who was one of the best heavyweights of all time Tyson did not want to face him sooner. This was pure quality from Lewis who proved he was one of the best heavyweights of all time. He beat Holyfield and smashed up Tyson and make no mistake I think Tyson was an absolute beast and one of the best so this was a quality win.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 29 Sep 2011, 4:34 pm

Tyson didn't want a piece of Lewis while in his prime, he turned to him once the fight had become the last big time payday he could possibly hope to make. Certainly can't hold Lewis responsible for that, on paper it can be argued that he did all he could and in the end achieved a measure of success, albeit not as much as possible.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Thu 29 Sep 2011, 4:36 pm

I think it was an important symbolic win for him, over the most infamous boxer of his era. It also highlighted that Lewis had much greater longevity, which is an important factor when considering their careers.

But not his greatest win by any means.

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 29 Sep 2011, 4:44 pm

Vitali took the fight on 2 weeks notice and was a whisker from a win. Not his best win.

I'd say Holyfield 1 was his best win - no arguments as to the winner (except from the judges). Holyfield 2 good, but less comprehensive - remember some had Evander taking the second fight.

Rahman 2 probably the most consummate performance.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 29 Sep 2011, 4:47 pm

I think it was hugely important to sports fans, who often just see a name and a result. Lewis WKO8 Tyson.

Boxing fans, fans who know etc. it's less meaningful to. I guess it depends on which group ultimately decides a boxers standing.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Thu 29 Sep 2011, 6:09 pm

Lets be honest Lewis was robbed in that Holyfield fight he won it very easily was it his best performance? I am not so sure I think he was better against Tyson and lets remember he knocked out guys like Golota and Ruddock in quick time and also outclassed Tua who was the most dangerous puncher in the world.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 29 Sep 2011, 6:47 pm

Towser has every view you have...

He didn't beat Holy easily, he fought a finished Tyson....he didn't pass go and he didn't collect 200 dollars.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Thu 29 Sep 2011, 6:55 pm

Not sure what you are on about mate you must have been looking the other way if you think Lewis did not beat Holyfield in the first fight even Holyfield and the americans did not believe holyfield won that fight Don king bribed the judges it was obvious he did not want Lewis to win that fight Lewis would not have won it without a knockout and even then i would not be surprised if don king tried to claim it was illegal or some excuse the guy was corrupt. Lewis beat holyfield no doubt about it.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 29 Sep 2011, 6:56 pm

Didn't beat him easy....stop changing your pathetic arguments...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Paul Thu 29 Sep 2011, 7:05 pm

What was it Jim Watt said? "He didn't beat Tyson, he burgled a derelict house"

Think it was Jim Watt anyway.

Big Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Thu 29 Sep 2011, 7:09 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Didn't beat him easy....stop changing your pathetic arguments...

Pathetic lol? You sound like ne of them americans who cant take that Lewis beat all their best champs. There is alot of Lewis hating on this site and I am not biased against Americans I reckon 3 of the 4 best heavyweights were american and the likes of Ali, Tyson and Marciano were quality its a shame people cant say the same about lewis and give him the respect he deserves.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 29 Sep 2011, 7:11 pm

Why do you have to bring "Americans" into everything...

Inferiority complex???

I'm happy with my Boxing legacy.. Cool Cool Cool Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Thu 29 Sep 2011, 7:19 pm

I am bringing americans into it because they did not like lewis and my point was even americans thought lewis won that fight hardly any of them could say holyfield won the press conference after was quite embarrassing because everyone knew lewis had been robbed. Lewis beating the americans was important for us british becasue until then the division was dominated by americans and it shows that lewis quality to beat them. I have nothing against americans my point is that lewis was quality and only biased people think holyfield beat him and those biased people are mainly in america who didnt like lewis for beating the top american heavyweights.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 29 Sep 2011, 7:59 pm

His lack of personality was a major reason..

Most Americans (notice I use a capital) liked Hatton..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 29 Sep 2011, 8:04 pm

Its certainly true that the Americans never warmed to Lewis. Remember him getting booed when he fought Mercer. Even the HBO commentators never liked Lewis always putting him down. Yet Lewis is a celebrity in the states now and given full praise.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Thu 29 Sep 2011, 8:14 pm

I think it is important as Tyson was the biggest name in boxing still, depite being past his best. It's worth remembering that the like of Nigel Benn, and Duke Mckenzie both predicted Tyson would win.(ex boxers allways know better than the fans and critics though eh) so Lewis needed the fight to put the issue to bed. And whilst Tyson was finished, it was still a near punch perfect performance from Lewis- I can't recall any better from him.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:25 pm

I agree with you Fisty, it wasn't Lewis's greatest win but it was a significant one.Also he wasn't just fighting Tyson,the referee wasn't doing him any favours.His demolition of Galota,Ruddock and Rahman 2 showed what Lewis could do when he was focused on an early shower. Lennox would have beaten Tyson whenever they met in my opinion.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:48 pm

Beat Holy after Bowe did it twice..

Beat Ruddock after Tyson did it twice..

Beat Tyson after Holy did it twice....

Very significant..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:37 pm

rowley wrote:

Likewise Atila, was telling anyone who would listen Lewis would destroy him, they kept going on about Berbick and Spinks whilst forgetting they were 15 years ago.
Yep, people thought that all of a sudden, Tyson was going to roll back the years against Lewis. I was so happy that Lewis won. When I walked into work the next day, one of the guys who picked Tyson, couldn't face me. Do you rate Lewis's win over Tyson? 810156456

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:42 pm

It made sound business sense at the time. Certainly one of the best for Lewis' bank balance.

I don't buy into your "Bowe/Tyson/Holy did it first" argument Truss. Boxing politics dealt Lewis a pretty raw deal in his earlier career, and he dealt himself a raw deal by not taking Rahman or McCall seriously enough. Tyson was champ BEFORE Lewis turned pro, so is it any surprise that a lot of the top contenders had been beaten before he got his chance? No. It's the same as it has always been. If you lose in your first shot, go and join the queue again, fight your way up again and try once more.

It's not Lewis' fault that Bowe refused to fight him, nor that Tyson preferred to fight Seldon than face Lewis for the WBC belt.

Just for the record I would have loved to see Lewis take on Tyson earlier, and also Bowe at his peak. Sadly we will never know.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 30 Sep 2011, 1:05 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Beat Holy after Bowe did it twice..

Beat Ruddock after Tyson did it twice..

Beat Tyson after Holy did it twice....

Very significant..

As significant as that line of reasoning I daresay Rolling Eyes

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 30 Sep 2011, 1:47 pm

I don't get why Lewis wanted to fight Tyson either, it only grossed $106.9 million .... Shocked

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Fri 30 Sep 2011, 1:57 pm

Where did my post go?

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 30 Sep 2011, 4:50 pm

To us more knowledgeable guys no.
However the common mans view on Lewis was that he was pretty good and everything but Tyson was just a beast that couldn't be stopped, he hit too hard. Obviously they are very dim and know nothing about boxing.
However when he says this I think we are taking it out of context slightly, he is not saying it is his greatest victory he is saying it's his most important. Two very different things. In some cases you could say a mans greatest victory was his most important, but in Lewis' mind for personal reasons it was his most important.
Let's not forget that Lewis was very unappreciated at the time and still very much overshadowed by the (At this time) myth that was surrounding Tyson. Lewis was the one that broke that well and truly. He feels that this was the most important win, because he felt that this was his way of saying to everybody who doubted him, I told you so! His way of showing the world he was great, even though to everybody in the know Tyson was spent but the circus had continued. Due to the circus continuing the facade surrounding him made people truly believe he was still great making it so that the person that well and truly hammers him down on the biggest stage is given credit. That man was the under-appreciated Lewis. Getting him his credit in a fight in which he didn't technically deserve it.
So no I don't give him credit for it, but agree with Lewis that it was his most important win.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down