The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saul Alaverez-Matthew Hatton: A very good read.

+4
Rowley
STC
Scottrf
samevans1
8 posters

Go down

Saul Alaverez-Matthew Hatton: A very good read. Empty Saul Alaverez-Matthew Hatton: A very good read.

Post by samevans1 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 7:57 am

http://www.boxingscene.com/alphabet-abuse-latest-downside-alvarez-hbo-showcase--36526

Personally found this article very interesting/accurate and for me summed up everything that is wrong with this 'title' fight. Though I'd share it.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Saul Alaverez-Matthew Hatton: A very good read. Empty Re: Saul Alaverez-Matthew Hatton: A very good read.

Post by Scottrf Wed 02 Mar 2011, 8:45 am

The only amazing thing is that the WBC pushed for it to be at the divisional limit Shocked

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Saul Alaverez-Matthew Hatton: A very good read. Empty Re: Saul Alaverez-Matthew Hatton: A very good read.

Post by samevans1 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 9:54 am

Which is a good thing Scott.

Although this fight really shouldn't be for a world title in the first place.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed 02 Mar 2011, 10:16 am

World titles are becoming cheaper by the day. The WBC are becoming more of a joke than the WBA. These two titles were once regarded as the most prestigious of the four (or nine). It's embarassing explaining to non boxing fans why there are 38 different world champions at each weight, and that some of them don't actually fight at correct weight limit for the championship.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 02 Mar 2011, 10:19 am

Have to feel for Ryan Rhodes in all this, has rebuilt his career and actually earned a ranking at the weight only to be looked over for a guy whose only apparent qualification is having a famous brother.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 10:26 am

Fair play.

Ryan rhodes derseves a title shot. Hopefully the winner will give him one.

The problem with light middleweight as with several divisions is that there is no clear champion. Cotto is by far the best known of the title holders, but it doesn't mean he is the best fighter.

Could do with a super six style tournament to sort the wheat from the chaff.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 10:28 am

Tell me about it, Rowley. I remember after he beat Moore, we were discussing top ten Brits pound for pound, and when I slotted Rhodes in at the lower end people were basically laughing and I couldn't understand why. It's a shame that he's been frozen out of such opportunities thus far, but that's they way it goes and as you say, having a famous relative seems to work wonders.

Maybe Rhodes could claim some kind of relation to Gary?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 10:30 am

He deserves a shot at one of the titles; is he promoted by Warren?

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed 02 Mar 2011, 10:32 am

rowley wrote:Have to feel for Ryan Rhodes in all this, has rebuilt his career and actually earned a ranking at the weight only to be looked over for a guy whose only apparent qualification is having a famous brother.

Heard rumours Rhodes could be lining up a title shot for one of the other belts.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 02 Mar 2011, 10:35 am

Not Warren, possibly Hatton?

Rhodes was unavailable for this shot anyway, as were most of the other contenders. The fight was set up as a non title fight but then Golden Boy asked the WBC to put the title on the line.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 02 Mar 2011, 10:36 am

Was mentioned in Boxing News the WBA champion, Trout I think he has called was willing to come to the UK and give Rhodes a shot, even he acknowledged that Ryan had been given a right royal shafting by the WBC.

It makes you despair at the sport, a fighter does what you are meant to do to earn a shot, actually beat ranked fighters and earn a high ranking and what good does it do you, you can fully understand why fighters just sign with the mega promoters who have the cosy little relationships with the governing bodies

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 02 Mar 2011, 10:37 am

Is Hatton vs Alvarez on SKY at all this weekend, either live or delayed ?

I've checked the listings and cant it see it anywhere, I just dont get sky they show a fighter regularly then when he gets his big chance they dont bother, yet they'll pick up his fights after his returned to fighting in the leisure centres.

Boxing broadcasting in the UK is absolutely awful

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 02 Mar 2011, 10:43 am

Isn't Rhodes ranked number 4 in the division by the Ring which to my mind is the highest ranking a british fighter has outside of Khan, Froch, Burns and Haye

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 02 Mar 2011, 10:46 am

Yes, but Rhodes wasn't available. He hasn't come out and said anything since as far as I'm aware, and since when has waiting quietely for your chance been a good tactic in boxing, or anything for that matter?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 10:48 am

It was Golden Boy who said none of the top ten were available for this fight I believe. Their word is far from gospel!

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 02 Mar 2011, 10:51 am

Noone has questioned the statement? If you were Ryan Rhodes and felt you'd been passed over and they had said that none of the top contenders were available, would you say anything? It was only three weeks ago it was decided to be for a title, not enough notice I'd imagine.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 10:52 am

This title fight is pony; regardless of the whats and where fors.

It is a prime example of all that is wrong with modern boxing.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 02 Mar 2011, 12:36 pm

Personally I think it's disgusting that Alvarez & Hatton should be forced to abide by this silly 154lb limit. What's wrong with fighting at 151lbs? If it was good enough for a man many consider the best, most high-profile fighter on the planet to fight for this same belt at 151, then why not stick to that highly respected, long-standing and absolutely necessary weight limit..?

In short though: it's a joke. The WBC have shown their true colours; namely that anyone with enough money and enough influence within the sport can buy one of their belts and parade around as a 'world' champion.

Rhodes should be fuming. That GBP have successfully pressured the WBC into making this a title fight at short notice does a great disservice not only to Hatton, who it seems is being set up as a fall-guy for Alvarez, but also to every ranked LMW contender who has worked for their shot, only to be walked over. On top of this, Alvarez (if he has a sense of honesty and integrity) will surely feel any victory will be a somewhat hollow one.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 1:45 pm

The problem, Golden Boy are setting up Alvarez to be their cash cow for the next decade or so.

They will move heaven and earth to get him any advantage they can.

It remains me of De La Hoya'a first 'world' title fight with Bredahl; although I don't think Alvarez has a modicum of the talent that De La Hoya had.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed 02 Mar 2011, 1:51 pm

Ryan Rhodes v Alfredo Angulo in WBC final eliminator purse bids due April 1st.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 1:57 pm

They fighting at 149 Lbs?

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 2:00 pm

Angulo is a very tough assignment for Rhodes. A very hard puncher and very durable.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 02 Mar 2011, 3:21 pm

The fact that Rhodes is due to fight an eliminator for the belt which is being gifted to the winner of Alvarez-Hatton further highlights how ridiculous the WBC is.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 3:30 pm

In total agreement.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down