The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleverley Targets Unification Bout with Beibut Shumenov

+9
huw
oxring
The genius of PBF
manos de piedra
J.Benson II
captain carrantuohil
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
BALTIMORA
bhb001
13 posters

Go down

Cleverley Targets Unification Bout with Beibut Shumenov Empty Cleverley Targets Unification Bout with Beibut Shumenov

Post by bhb001 Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:35 pm

Honestly, I have never heard of the guy, but I do think this is a better choice for Cleverley than Dawson or Hopkins. Shumenov is a world champion, so there is pedigree there, and there is something after it a part from filthy lucre. It would increase his worth and set him up for bigger fights in the future. Do you think that this is: -

a. A sensible fight
b. A fight that Warren is willing to make

Or will it all be bluff and blunder again with Cleverley again taking on a named Britain, this time possibly called Enzo?

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Cleverley Targets Unification Bout with Beibut Shumenov Empty Re: Cleverley Targets Unification Bout with Beibut Shumenov

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:40 pm

What happened to chasing the Dawson-Hopkins winner? In the interview after the fight Cleverly said he'd be keen for that fight (or words thereabouts). i imagine Fwank's sat him down and said "look kid; you looked crap against the scally. The Yanks'll kill you. Stick with me, and this time next year you'll be a millionaire. Lavvly Jabbly." etc.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Cleverley Targets Unification Bout with Beibut Shumenov Empty Re: Cleverley Targets Unification Bout with Beibut Shumenov

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:40 pm

2 token title holders,. Shumenov is pretty average doesn't do much wrong but doesn't do that much very well either. It's amazing to think you can become a unified World title holder and have no one of note on your record and be pretty rubbish.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:41 pm

Dire situation isn't it?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:45 pm

I do agree, but to go against the Yanks now would be career suicide. May as well make a payday or two before it.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:45 pm

Shumenov is an eminently sensible choice, from the very little I've seen of him. It will give Cleverly extra experience at a high level, without being as threatening as Dawson, Cloud or Pascal (or even Hopkins), for whom Nathan just doesn't appear ready to me. Two belts would also give him additional leverage when it does come to the really tough fights against the top men, probably at the end of 2012 or beginning of 2013.

This is not to say that I think that Shumenov will be an easy fight for Cleverly, just that I think that it is a winnable one at the level at which he must now compete. I would like to see Maccarinelli earn a shot at a title by proving his worth at 175 first, incidentally. He has far too many questions to answer to demand a "Welsh showdown" as of right.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:48 pm

I believe Beibut Shumenov actually holds the LH record for becoming a champion after the fewest pro fights.
A very average fighter, but given that Cleverley looks very average as well, it will probably be a very close fight.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:11 pm

Shumenov has really raided the retirement home so far. Hes been more willing to travel but if I were him I would be reluctant to have a unification match in Britain under a Warren promotion where Paris, O'Conner and Ian John Lewis can shaft me.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:14 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Shumenov has really raided the retirement home so far. Hes been more willing to travel but if I were him I would be reluctant to have a unification match in Britain under a Warren promotion where Paris, O'Conner and Ian John Lewis can shaft me.

Would this make Cleverly the "undisputed" champ in the light heavyweight division?

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:20 pm

Shumenov seems a reasonable choice. Still lots of work for Clev to do before he's ready for the Hopkins, Dawsons of the world.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:27 pm

Heard Cleverley on Talksport this morning.

Seemed to think that he had a better chance of a Hopkins fight since Hopkins lost as it would have been unlikely that Hopkins would have fought him if he still had the title.

Can't imagine Dawson would be that interested in what would effectively be a small pay day fighting an unknown (in the US) and unbeaten fighter.

Maybe if he could get his hands on another title the bigger fighters would be more interested.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:32 pm

increases his worth and unlike against the yanks is a winnable fight if he fights macca could we see macca winning due to being too big and strong and clev not carrying a dig?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:50 pm

It seems like most people believe it would be a worthwhile fight against credible, but beatable opposition, which is my take from the start. I have also just heard he is saying that, given the fight last Saturday, Hopkins is more likely to fight him now. I wish he would just concentrate on making sensible matches and not trying to run before he can walk.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon 17 Oct 2011, 4:07 pm

If the fight came off still fancy Hopkins to turn over Cleverly, fights Hopkins like he did against Bellew he'll get schooled.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Mon 17 Oct 2011, 4:12 pm

I do not think Hopkins would be interested in fighting Cleverly he is not a big name Hopkins would want not sure there would be big money it. I reckon Hopkins wants big money fights he could have a rematch with Dawson or go to cruiserweight and fight Tarver again or he could fight Cloud they are big names in America who has heard of Cleverly over there? Maybe he will retire lol depends if his injury is bad lets be honest he is so old now if the injury took a while to heal I reckon he could pack it in.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 17 Oct 2011, 4:14 pm

Think it's a good shout, though I'd like him to take another fringe fight first - maybe Sillakh or Chilemba?? Would improve his CV a little too as Murat is the only half decent name on it at the moment and he needs, in my view, something more than a paper belt to get the big boys into bed.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 17 Oct 2011, 4:18 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Think it's a good shout, though I'd like him to take another fringe fight first - maybe Sillakh or Chilemba?? Would improve his CV a little too as Murat is the only half decent name on it at the moment and he needs, in my view, something more than a paper belt to get the big boys into bed.

2 paper belts?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 17 Oct 2011, 4:27 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Think it's a good shout, though I'd like him to take another fringe fight first - maybe Sillakh or Chilemba?? Would improve his CV a little too as Murat is the only half decent name on it at the moment and he needs, in my view, something more than a paper belt to get the big boys into bed.

2 paper belts?

Haha, I know, but 2 paper belts but with a CV including Murat, Sillakh, Chilemba (Macaranelli?) is surely suggestive that he deserves a shot at one of the Yanks? Who knows, Bellew might even have picked up a Euro strap by then making that win look more credible.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon 17 Oct 2011, 4:36 pm

I would keep Cleverley away from Sillakh. He'd most probably end up giving Cleverley a beating.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 17 Oct 2011, 4:44 pm

J.Benson II wrote:

I would keep Cleverley away from Sillakh. He'd most probably end up giving Cleverley a beating.

Sillakh should be his level, if he'd get a beating he shouldn't be world champ and calling out Hoppo/Dawson!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 17 Oct 2011, 4:48 pm

ive also been pretty impressed with sillakh

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon 17 Oct 2011, 5:14 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
J.Benson II wrote:

Sillakh should be his level, if he'd get a beating he shouldn't be world champ and calling out Hoppo/Dawson!

Thats the thing though, he shouldnt be a world champ. Frank Warren is the only reason he is.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down