The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Clev go to the US to fight Shumenov?

+3
WelshDevilRob
oxring
mckay1402
7 posters

Go down

Should Clev go to the US to fight Shumenov? Empty Should Clev go to the US to fight Shumenov?

Post by mckay1402 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:12 pm

I have to be honest I've never seen Shumenov but he obviously fancies his chances against Clev. The question is shoudl Clev fancy his chances or is he still to green to be a world champ?

Clev seems to have a lot of gifts with his size and speed and luck has been against him in his last two fights. if he can get decent preperation he would be a good match up for anyone. He throws a lot of punches and is very accurate. People say he lacks knockout power but when you throw as many punches as he does you'll catch them eventually.

His defence has looked a bit loose so he'll have that to work on. Is his weakness too much or would his strengths see him though? Is he another Maccaranelli waiting to happen or could he be the next big thing?

My opinion is that he should maybe have one or two defences before thinking about stepping up. Take on Bellew and maybe Braehmer and then take the next step. With a bit more experience he could be a great fighter.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Should Clev go to the US to fight Shumenov? Empty Re: Should Clev go to the US to fight Shumenov?

Post by oxring Mon 13 Jun 2011, 6:01 pm

Bellew is an obvious opponent. Braehmer should have to work to win his title back. He's done nothing to merit it after throwing it away with a disgusting no-show.

Shumenov is OK - certainly a talented boxer - but Clev should have the physical advantages - but Clev then doesn't really use said advantages.

As such - its a really interesting matchup.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Should Clev go to the US to fight Shumenov? Empty Re: Should Clev go to the US to fight Shumenov?

Post by WelshDevilRob Mon 13 Jun 2011, 6:10 pm

Shumenov isn't the finished article for me but neither is Cleverly. I'd like to see Cleverly have a few defences and work on his rough edges.

Shumenov is certainly beatable but I think 2 more wins under his belt makes Nathan better prepared.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 6:15 pm

He should go where the money is....as Boxing's a hard business and he wants to milk the title..

Personally I'd like him to wipe out Bellew who just looks and talks like a yob....

and do us all a favor.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 6:20 pm

I don't rate Shumenov all that highly, to be honest, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad fight for Cleverly. Any unification bout is not to be sniffed at, and Cleverly is certainly a much more attractive option to the big guns across the pond with the WBO and WBA belts, rather than just the WBO.

I think a couple of defences in the shape of Bellew and then someone from the WBO list such as Braehmer and / or Erdei would be a good way for Cleverly to carry himself over to 2012, and then the chase for unification can begin. I'll give Shumenov props for his fairly good work rate and decent jab, but I think the Welshman would have the beating of him. Negate Shumenov's right hand and he's half the fighter, it's literally his only major weapon.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 6:24 pm

agreed..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 13 Jun 2011, 6:28 pm

IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA FOR HIM TO GO OVER TO THE US, IF HE EVENTUALLY WANTS THE FIGHTS WITH CLOUD/DAWSON/PASCAL/HOPKINS. I DONT THINK HE'S A BIG NAME OVER THERE AND IT WOULD BOOST HIS CHANCES OF GETTING THOSE FIGHTS. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HIM FIGHT BELLEW, I THINK IT WOULD BE A TEAR UP- BUT SAYING THAT I DONT THINK BELLEW IS OR EVER WILL BE WORLD LEVEL, SO IT WOULDN'T BOOST HIS STOCK LIKE A FIGHT IN THE US WOULD.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 13 Jun 2011, 6:29 pm

didnt mean to leave the caps lock on- hope that doesnt mean a weeks automatic ban (joke)

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 6:29 pm

Wants to be financially set before risking everything....

He's a young kid time isn't of the essence...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 13 Jun 2011, 6:30 pm

eddy don't use caps mate, the mods who are listening are very nice chaps, from what I can see.

Last edited by HumanWindmill on Mon 13 Jun 2011, 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because I'm a very nice chap who doesn't want Young_Towzer to get into trouble.)

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 13 Jun 2011, 6:31 pm

I have to be honest I've never seen Shumenov but he obviously fancies his chances against Clev. The question is shoudl Clev fancy his chances or is he still to green to be a world champ?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Cleverly is better in every dept imo, however the way he got caught off a journeyman in Kuziemski was alarming, and got caught heavily.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 13 Jun 2011, 6:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Wants to be financially set before risking everything....

He's a young kid time isn't of the essence...

true, but i don't think a loss would hurt him that much either, so just to get his name in contention over the pond would increase his earning potential.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down