The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can England win it in 2015?

+21
sirtidychris
Metal Tiger
Geordie
Knowsit17
boomeranga
nganboy
England rugby fan
Hood83
Gatts
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Biltong
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
fa0019
bathmad
Luckless Pedestrian
mystiroakey
Cardiff Taffy
tomathy
ultra
eirebilly
Glas a du
25 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Can England win it in 2015? - Page 3 Empty Can England win it in 2015?

Post by Glas a du Mon 24 Oct - 13:53

First topic message reminder :

87 New Zealand (New Zealand)
91 Australia (England)
95 South Africa (South Africa)
99 Australia (Wales)
03 England (Australia)
07 South Africa (France)
11 New Zealand (New Zealand)
15 England (England)?

What do they need to do from grass roots up to give their players the best chance?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Can England win it in 2015? - Page 3 Empty Re: Can England win it in 2015?

Post by mystiroakey Tue 25 Oct - 14:34

i think flood will come good.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Tue 25 Oct - 14:35

Flood nails nearly every kick, he just doesn't get picked.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 25 Oct - 14:36

That goes back to Chris's point about Johnson's conservative selection policy, going back to (what he thinks are) the tried and trusted rather than the younger, better alternative.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 25 Oct - 14:40

well we all know that jw will not be playing in 2015, so either way we will have flood or a younger alternative

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 25 Oct - 15:07

You might not have Johnno selecting the team either!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Tue 25 Oct - 15:08

sirtidychris wrote:haha i suppose so, i just feel that johnson developed a team that had beaten australia, france and wales in the last year, that team had flood and hape at 10/12 and palmer/lawes at 4/5. Corbisero also impressed at loosehead for large parts of those games. We then get to a RWC 1/4 final against france and instead of playing the same team that beat them a few months earlier, he sticks with misfiring johny, plays flood out of position and sticks with a tighthead thats been getting smashed all tournament on the loose. He then only has 2 backs on the bench so when his random experiment goes wrong he has no contingency to change it !

Deacon played the whole Six Nations when we beat France and Wales. Shaw played in the Twickenham warm up when we beat Wales. Lawes has only played 5 games for England in 2011, and England were only good in one of them.

Away vs Wales - Lost 9-19
Away vs Ireland - Won 9-20
RWC vs Argentina - Won 13-9
RWC vs Scotland - Won 16-12
RWC vs France - Lost 19-12

He was great against Australia and South Africa (one of our few bright sparks that day) last Autumn, but we've played very well without him this year.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 25 Oct - 15:19

"England no longer have a pack that can bully other teams, nor an outside half who can nail his kicks.."

Yeah i think the problem is we seemt o be trying to change our style to a more open game...using more athletic players....however we're not adapting to it (be it coaches etc) and we seem in limbo...ie reveting to a power pack game...but with a pack more suited to open rugby...ie Croft at 6 etc.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 25 Oct - 15:29

Did I hear Flood has been out in...we interrupt this joke as it is quite clearly inappropriate...lin?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Eustace H Plimsoll Tue 25 Oct - 16:30

Geordie, that's got to be one of England's biggest issues? Bags of
talent coming thru reflected in results all the way up the age groups,
but where does it all go?

I think the truth is we've only relatively recently become consistently good at age-group level. We're only just starting to see the benefit of that in the senior side and GP. Historically we weren't much good at junior rugby.

Eustace H Plimsoll

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 25 Oct - 16:54

I think finding some leaders on the pitch might help. I really thought Moody was the guy but he wasnt on best form and England only seemed to be able to change their strategy at half time. Still - hes not there anymore.

England were so positive a few months ago. There were some unfortunate injuries but stuff did go wrong at the RWC. Personally I hope MJ stays but I hope he has learned a lot, especially about discipline around the squad. Would be nice to see new blood in the coaches though. It feels like things got blown out of all proportion but having a royal (by marriage) there - one who was off form also - caused too many problems.

Also I hope JW calls it a day now. He was always a much better player with guys around him telling him what to do. As a 'senior' player he doesnt seem to take good options.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 25 Oct - 16:57

Taking an overview of this thread, I am genuinely surprised that such an open question has not seen anybody come up with a significant restructuring plan of the domestic game in England.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 25 Oct - 19:03

And if England are to win at home they need to sort out their relationship with the press though i think the jingoism might be too much to resist for the majority during a home campaign

Ackford. Cleary Reason and Gallagher on England RWC 2011 in the Telegraph:

Shambolic, plodding, confused, depressing, charmless, Crass, ill-disciplined, self-deluding, underwhelming, unloved, Constipated, Crass, Charmless, Crude, Cringing, Rugby players have shocker, shocker

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 25 Oct - 19:13

Hmm, so not great then? Whistle

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Tue 25 Oct - 19:25

Eustace H Plimsoll wrote:
Geordie, that's got to be one of England's biggest issues? Bags of
talent coming thru reflected in results all the way up the age groups,
but where does it all go?

I think the truth is we've only relatively recently become consistently good at age-group level. We're only just starting to see the benefit of that in the senior side and GP. Historically we weren't much good at junior rugby.

Am I right in thinking that improving our age-grade rugby has in recent years been largely Rob Andrew's responsibility? I'm surprised there aren't more people on here saying what a good job he's done...

Although in fairness it might be a post hoc, ergo propter hoc scenario. Just because we got good at something doesn't necessarily mean he had anything to do with it. It could just be that the academies are starting to hit top gear.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 26 Oct - 7:51

I never thought I'd see 'post hoc ergo propter hoc' on 606v2! clap

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 26 Oct - 7:58

Blydi public school boys and their fancy dan Greek quotes. Rolling Eyes
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 26 Oct - 15:14

Of course England can win it unless the current England management stay in charge.

As long as the correct decisions for the development of English rugby are made we'll be fine.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Wed 26 Oct - 16:50

Glas a du wrote:Blydi public school boys and their fancy dan Greek quotes. Rolling Eyes

It's Latin, not Greek. And I think he meant "cum hoc ergo propter hoc" rather than "post hoc...". Anyway...

I've just realised that if England DO win in 2015, and don't face Oz or NZ in the final, we will be the most successful country in RWC history with 4 finals and 2 cups Cool .

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Wed 26 Oct - 17:01

EnglishReign wrote:
Glas a du wrote:Blydi public school boys and their fancy dan Greek quotes. Rolling Eyes

It's Latin, not Greek. And I think he meant "cum hoc ergo propter hoc" rather than "post hoc...". Anyway...

I've just realised that if England DO win in 2015, and don't face Oz or NZ in the final, we will be the most successful country in RWC history with 4 finals and 2 cups Cool .

Could be either depending on how you word it. Could have been "AFTER Rob Andrew was appointed to do this etc"
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Wed 26 Oct - 17:07

tomathy wrote:
EnglishReign wrote:

Could be either depending on how you word it. Could have been "AFTER Rob Andrew was appointed to do this etc"

Yeah that's true actually, I just thought I'd take on the intellectual snob role. You can sometimes get away with it on the internet, maybe not in this instance Wink

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 27 Oct - 2:07

EnglishReign wrote:

But if SA/Aus/NZ win it then they will be the most successful country in RWC history with 3 wins. If NZ win it they will also be the first country to defend it. If Wales win it they will be the first country outside the top 4 (IRB ranking ) to win it.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by England rugby fan Thu 27 Oct - 9:14

nganboy wrote:
EnglishReign wrote:

But if SA/Aus/NZ win it then they will be the most successful country in RWC history with 3 wins. If NZ win it they will also be the first country to defend it. If Wales win it they will be the first country outside the top 4 (IRB ranking ) to win it.

How do you know that ? Wales were ranked 4th going into the semi finals of RWC 2011, so who's to say they won't be 4th or higher if they got to the final of RWC 2015 ?

England rugby fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3