The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much would you be prepared to pay for a round?

+11
George1507
Maverick
oldshanker
super_realist
Davie
kwinigolfer
No1yankee
drive4show
Marcus
mystiroakey
Redrage
15 posters

Go down

How much would you be willing to pay for a round of golf?

How much would you be prepared to pay for a round? Vote_lcap50%How much would you be prepared to pay for a round? Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 13 ]
How much would you be prepared to pay for a round? Vote_lcap4%How much would you be prepared to pay for a round? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
How much would you be prepared to pay for a round? Vote_lcap12%How much would you be prepared to pay for a round? Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 3 ]
How much would you be prepared to pay for a round? Vote_lcap8%How much would you be prepared to pay for a round? Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 2 ]
How much would you be prepared to pay for a round? Vote_lcap0%How much would you be prepared to pay for a round? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
How much would you be prepared to pay for a round? Vote_lcap0%How much would you be prepared to pay for a round? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
How much would you be prepared to pay for a round? Vote_lcap4%How much would you be prepared to pay for a round? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
How much would you be prepared to pay for a round? Vote_lcap22%How much would you be prepared to pay for a round? Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 26

How much would you be prepared to pay for a round? Empty How much would you be prepared to pay for a round?

Post by Redrage Fri 28 Oct 2011, 7:44 pm

As the title says, what is your limit for a high quality but readily accessible course?

Last edited by Redrage on Fri 28 Oct 2011, 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Redrage

Back to top Go down

How much would you be prepared to pay for a round? Empty Re: How much would you be prepared to pay for a round?

Post by mystiroakey Fri 28 Oct 2011, 7:49 pm

i will pay any amount if i am playing well enough and the course is worth it.

i would pay the top end to play wenty or valderama no troubles- as long as my partners can also afford it and i have practised up for it

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

How much would you be prepared to pay for a round? Empty Re: How much would you be prepared to pay for a round?

Post by Marcus Fri 28 Oct 2011, 7:50 pm

It all depends on the course.

I'd refuse to let myself get ripped off, but if I had the opportunity to play Augusta (never going to happen) or Pebble Beach (looking in to going there next year) then I'd have no objection to paying $500+ for a once in a lifetime experience.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri 28 Oct 2011, 7:53 pm

Difficult to say, I think you need to clarify your thread a little. Are we talking 'once in a lifetime opportunity' or just general play?

I paid £175 to play Valderamma, I'd pay the £150 asking price to play TOC just once in my life.

But if the boys suggested a day out for somewhere different, it would be considerably less.

If I got the chance to play Pine Valley or Augusta, I'd go for the >£250 option.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Fri 28 Oct 2011, 7:55 pm

I should have stated that I mean accessible courses that you could play anytime.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri 28 Oct 2011, 7:58 pm

Redrage wrote:I should have stated that I mean accessible courses that you could play anytime.

Fair enough, that puts a different perspective on it....vote cast!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Fri 28 Oct 2011, 8:00 pm

When I played at The Grove t'other week, I paid £115, which I felt was on the slightly expensive side of pretty reasonable. Unfortunately, during high season, this rate goes up to £185, and I'm sure it's definitely not worth that price.

However, I have recently found out that both Prince's and The Grove are owned by the same group, and with a bit of notice, arrangements can be made to play any courses within the group for half-price or even less.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 28 Oct 2011, 8:00 pm

erm totally different- i have loads of courses i can play on reproical and with a surrey county card (half proce green fees) golf isnt expensive other than my green fees which are very high

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Fri 28 Oct 2011, 8:04 pm

Pity I can't restart the poll!

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 28 Oct 2011, 8:07 pm

my 250 would change to the 75,

however i will pay what ever it costs 2-3 times a year, but it wont be local and would involve a jolly staying over.

loch lomond and valderama are on my wish lists

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Fri 28 Oct 2011, 8:08 pm

Loch Lomond would be amazing, but going that far north would give me a nosebleed.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by No1yankee Fri 28 Oct 2011, 8:11 pm

Depends on the course but if it's not a golf holiday or lifetime experience it'll be around
€200 but if it is a golfing experience I'll pay anything

Last edited by No1yankee on Fri 28 Oct 2011, 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

No1yankee

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 28 Oct 2011, 8:22 pm

Based upon the revised criteria, less thsan 75 pounds / $100.00.

Our normal greens fees are $36.00 in season, and even that seems a bit high; corresponding fees in Central New York would be less than $30.00.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 28 Oct 2011, 8:22 pm

to be honest red i think there are plenty on here that wouldnt even pay 75 for a round of golf- some people wont even want to pay more than 20 quid.

your poll could start lower

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 28 Oct 2011, 9:52 pm

Redrage wrote:Pity I can't restart the poll!

Ask a moderator....

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 28 Oct 2011, 9:55 pm

Most I've paid recently was £80 for Dornoch, and I consider that very cheap considering how good it is. TOC is £150 for non-links ticket holders and it's at least 10 times as good as that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Fri 28 Oct 2011, 10:48 pm

Usually it will be well below £75, but for a very special treat, I would pay up to £150. Just had to refuse, due to work commitments, a day of golf at Woburn - 2 rounds and lunch - with LJ and the Ringer at that figure and would have been happy to pay it.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 28 Oct 2011, 11:42 pm

Its tough... Because you need the option of day to day. Once in a blue moon with the boys and the once in a lifetime....

I voted <75 simply because there are so many good courses around the country that you could get on for that fee.

I've certainly paid out my fairshare for the once in a bluemoons, e.g wentworth, Sawgrass, TOC, RSG, Pebble Beach, Doral etc those in general are worth about £120-£150 with the exception of TOC (or should I say The Overated Course) Also have plans to add Fancourt to this list soon.

Once in a lifetime, well no money would want to make me play Augusta, a bland course with only a handful of decent holes. However the only course I can single out to play beofre I snuff it , and my favourite tour stop of the year, is Harbour Towns, Hilton Head course

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 29 Oct 2011, 8:37 am

Mav, what did you think of Wentworth. It's #1 on my list of must plays in the UK, and one day i'll fork out for it. It looks amazing on the TV, is it that good in real life?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat 29 Oct 2011, 9:27 am

SR, I've been lucky enough to play it both pre and post els design changes. I have to say its a marmite thing since the changes. Before them everyone I've ever heard play it loved it. Now some seem to find the course too hard. Its a tour venue its not meant to be easy!

IMO, absoultely brilliant course, one I'd happily shell out for to play at least once a year. It looks beautiful on tv, and the surroundings you play in are breathtaking when the sun shines, some pretty pricey houses to.

There is not an element of the course you can simply over power or get away with not having your best game day. It really challenges the accuracy of your driving, the positional play of your irons, your ability to vary your short game and how well you read subtle breaks and judge pace on the greens. The biggest challeneg is your ability to get your course management strategy planned and executed.

Its all of the above that for me makes it the best inland course in England. Bold statement I know but that's my opinion, others like Mac and DOAK probably wouldn't agree but then they'd probably struggle to play it!! With such fluctuating handicaps!!!!

The facilities are 2nd to none to. Also if you get to play it, book some time there and play the Edinburgh and East course as well you will be suitably surprised by those courses as well.

Even with my "A" game at Wentworth and I've been striping the ball the best score I've managed is 72 thanks to a well holed birdie on the last. But would say with your best game be happy with a couple over handicap on the west course if you get to play it off the back tees, I'm always happy with that because she is a good challenge

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Sat 29 Oct 2011, 11:05 am

Once in a lifetime stuff I'd pay more than £75, but otherwise not that much.

Are there many people who regularly pay £100+ to play a round of golf?

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat 29 Oct 2011, 1:00 pm

I paid $235, about £150, for a round on Pinehurst no.8 and that took a lot of umming and arring before deciding to do it. The course was great and was the one that everyone at Pinehurst recommended. No.2 would have been $450 but was also in use for the annual North, South amateur

I think it will really depend on the occasion and finances, if it would be a regular thing then the cost would have to come down significantly. The once in a lifetime opportunities I would probably have to weigh carefully. I have often wondered whether I would pay the $500 for Pebble Beach, luckily for me I've not been close enough to have make that decision.

Last edited by 1GrumpyGolfer on Sat 29 Oct 2011, 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Didn't finish post)

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 29 Oct 2011, 1:41 pm

Mav,
I LOVE Harbour Town, but you'd want to get some sort of recommendation about its conditioning before shelling out a small fortune to play it.

Beautiful design, very playable for all standards (even mine) of golfer, but it receives a lot of play and it's certainly NOT cheap.

If I was going I'd be looking to get a package deal to play some other Hilton Head courses as well, even Long Cove if you can, quite private but supposed to be lovely.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Sat 29 Oct 2011, 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat 29 Oct 2011, 5:52 pm

super, Mav

Sorry but I have to disagree about Wentworth. I've played all 3 courses and the West isn't even the best course at Wentworth! As a one off, if you get the chance to play it then by all means do so. Personally, I think the course has been ruined, it's been turned into an American style parkland course.

If you are ever down that way then Sunningdale is FAR superior, particularly the Old course. You can have a day there playing both courses for less than one round on the West at Wentworth. It's a complete no brainer, Sunningdale every time.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat 29 Oct 2011, 7:12 pm

drive4show wrote:super, Mav

Sorry but I have to disagree about Wentworth. I've played all 3 courses and the West isn't even the best course at Wentworth! As a one off, if you get the chance to play it then by all means do so. Personally, I think the course has been ruined, it's been turned into an American style parkland course.

If you are ever down that way then Sunningdale is FAR superior, particularly the Old course. You can have a day there playing both courses for less than one round on the West at Wentworth. It's a complete no brainer, Sunningdale every time.

As I said its a marmite course you'll love it or hate it. D4S what tees did you play from when you were there. Sunningdale I actually find to be a very dreary and overrated course I guess that shows how different we all see things

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat 29 Oct 2011, 7:56 pm

Mav

Sorry, I can't remember which tees we played off, unfortunately not the back ones. I played with a low handicap member so they would have been a reasonable distance back.

If you dis Sunningdale again I'll be sending the boys round boxing

Laugh

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat 29 Oct 2011, 8:20 pm

I've played off the members back tees, and also off the championship tees they use for the PGA and they make a hell of a difference. The course off the championship tees is far superior to the members backs. Surprising how different a course can play off a different set of tees...

As for Sunningdale, your boys need get past my girls and they take no prisoners haha

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat 29 Oct 2011, 8:25 pm

Mav

Did you get my email BTW? Bear me in mind if you are planning any awaydays thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat 29 Oct 2011, 8:42 pm

D4S I did cheers mate, will look at some courses for the new year and get back ti you as long as its not sunningdale!were definately have a game

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat 29 Oct 2011, 8:55 pm

Sounds like a plan. As you know, I'm in Bournemouth area so anywhere between here and London is ideal. Plenty of really nice courses in that area, pity all the best ones aren't on the county card scheme Crying or Very sad

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sat 29 Oct 2011, 9:43 pm

Obviously massive difference between what i would pay for a normal weekend round and something special . Maybe £35 for standard round then £150 for toc or another open venue. But would pay a lot more for Augusta!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Sat 29 Oct 2011, 9:59 pm

To play somewhere like Augusta only once I would pay top dollar. Normally I would reckon on £50.00 tops. However, with yon County Card you can play a lot of courses for half price or ther 'bouts. Classic example played St Enedoc with JAS earlier this month - cost of CCard 16 squids. Saved a good 30quid on that one round alone. You know it maketh sense .... thumbsup
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Oct 2011, 8:24 am

personally i find woking,west byfleet, st georges hill, new zealand(not a cheaper option mind) as good as suningdale, and with the first 2 much cheaper- i like the edingburgh(or south course) and east course at wenty, but my favourite is the west- i think it is well over priced and only played it at junior level and paid peanuts. Played the others through friends of the green staff and rocked on. But i will pay to see how the changes at the west play, but it is seriously expensive and i wont be playing it often even if i think its the best course ever.

and onto the augusta question- id pay whatever

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sun 30 Oct 2011, 10:46 pm

i liked the new much more than the old

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 30 Oct 2011, 11:01 pm

raycastleunited wrote:

i liked the new much more than the old

Agreed, I liked the old course, love the new course with it's changes.

Also what is it with people being willing to literally bankrupt themselves and probably the nation just for an opportunity to play Augusta, would I be right in thinking i'm the only person that really finds Augusta a pretty poor looking laid out course. If I could play it for free then ok i'd play it but if I had to pay to play a course in Georgia, that would be last on my list behind the likes of East Lake, Sea Island etc

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 30 Oct 2011, 11:50 pm

Guilty as charged for paying top dollar, I cant say I wouldn't limit myself to something under £250 as I've already stumped up to play Pebble Beach twice and going back for a 3rd crack again this year. I did say I would only do it once because it was so expensive. The fact that I'm going back back for a 3rd visit means it must have something going for it.

The simple fact is, I don't want to be lying on my deathbed with a big pot of money in the bank and saying to myself..."oh I wish I'd played there, or there or where ever else" You are here but once, if your golfing dream is to play the top courses ....do it!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down