The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diaz vs Penn Result and What's Next for Both?

+2
gibbo104
Valero's Conscience
6 posters

Go down

Diaz vs Penn Result and What's Next for Both? Empty Diaz vs Penn Result and What's Next for Both?

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 31 Oct 2011, 9:04 am

I didn't want to say the result in the title in case others wanted to see the fight first.

After a very competitive 1st round where I gave Penn the round, Diaz then proceeded to whoop Penn for the final 2 rounds.

Diaz doesn't appear to tire and up'd his work rate and it was too much for Penn.

Penn showed how tough he is as he took a severe beating, probably the worst he's ever taken but stayed on his feet and was very game till the end.

Diaz looked very good, mixing up his combinations to the head and body and was relentless in not allowing Penn to compose himself.

Now Diaz has got an automatic shot at GSP so Condit is sitting out where only 1 week ago Condit was guaranteed his shot, however I think Dana had to offer Diaz the shot considering the manner of his victory and how good he looked.

I wouldn't feel too bad for Condit, I am sure he has been well compensated although he faces the problem of waiting to fight the winner of Diaz vs GSP which could be up to a year or fight in between, albeit running the risk of losing and in turn losing his title shot?

As for Penn, he spoke of retirement. I think he should continue fighting but only at Lightweight (he has only 1 win at WW in 5 years!). The problem is the Lightweight champ is Edgar and doubt Penn would beat him now considering their first two fights and feel Penn would only want to fight meaningful fights and if he can't get any then I think he should retire.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Diaz vs Penn Result and What's Next for Both? Empty Re: Diaz vs Penn Result and What's Next for Both?

Post by gibbo104 Mon 31 Oct 2011, 10:35 am

Yeah, I agree with pretty much everything you said there Valero.

Condit moving out of the way so Diaz can fight GSP next is although admirable (and I do hope Condit is getting seriously compensated because he has done this) I can’t agree that missing press conferences and throwing your toys out the pram is getting Diaz rewarded... That being said I do really want to see the Diaz vs GSP fight!!! (Mainly to see Diaz get beat up on his back for 5 rounds by GSP)

I understand that the Diaz vs. GSP fight is going to be taking place at super bowl weekend, and that Condit is going to be fighting on that card also... It would suck if Condit lost that fight though...
Still, that’s 2 fights on the main card already booked and if Chael Sonnen gets his wish and faces A. Silver on that card also, wow that card is becoming stacked already!

I agree as well that Penn has to drop back to 155; it is here he is best and where he has always been best. There are plenty of great fights for him there and Franky won’t be a title holder for ever (or will he). Still I think the best BJ is at 155

What does everyone think of Condit being asked to move and Diaz getting the first shot against GSP??

gibbo104

Back to top Go down

Diaz vs Penn Result and What's Next for Both? Empty Re: Diaz vs Penn Result and What's Next for Both?

Post by easthfc Mon 31 Oct 2011, 11:47 am

Diaz looked good. I think GSP will be too quick and athletic for him but I hope I'm wrong as I'd like to see Nick win this.

I don't see what else BJ can do apart from retire. Can't beat the champ at LW and can't beat the no1 contender at WW.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 31 Oct 2011, 11:53 am

easthfc wrote:

I don't see what else BJ can do apart from retire. Can't beat the champ at LW and can't beat the no1 contender at WW.

That's what I was thinking and if he can't get significant fights then I can't see him being able to motivate himself so might seriously consider retiring.

He's lucky in that he's been one of the biggest stars and is financially set for retirement, although he was financially set before he done MMA anyway!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 31 Oct 2011, 11:53 am

I heard a rumour that Condit will be facing Jake Ellenberger on the undercard, to determine the number 1 contender.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by gibbo104 Mon 31 Oct 2011, 12:19 pm

Penn can do a lot at 155 without holding the title, but I suppose if being a gate keeping doesn’t interest Penn then retiring should be his only option. I just want to see Penn back at 155 for a few more fights, I think Penn vs. Bendo would / could be an epic fight. 155 is such a deep division they should be enough decent fights there to keep him motivated?

gibbo104

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon 31 Oct 2011, 3:03 pm

Dana said that he'd never seen GSP lose his cool before the way in which he reacted to Diaz's accusations after the fight. Dana switched the fight so Diaz and GSP will fight next year when GSP is fully recovered - I don't think this was the right thing to do - yes Diaz was GSP's original opponent and yes he did beat Penn emphatically but he should have made the press conference in the first place and Carlos Condit deserved his title shot! Personally for professionalism's sake I would have wanted to see GSP v Condit - Nick could have fought the winner. But I understand why Dana made the switch as it will draw more money on PPV!

That being said I'm sure Condit will be motivated to beat Ellenberger as he's now had experience of what it feels like to be next in line for a title shot. He'll want to make sure he's biting at GSP/Diaz's heels.

I think BJ made the right decision to retire after the fight. For a pro fighter with such a great record over two weight divisions it would be incredibly hard for him to keep fighting when he knows he'll never reach his peak again and can't compete with the calibre of the younger fighters. But if that was his last fight then he went out admirably - he never gave up and showed he has one of the biggest hearts in the sport. His character will live on well after he's retired.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by boomdangle Tue 01 Nov 2011, 8:07 am

At least he bowed out on his feet not crumpled in a heap like chuck or randy

boomdangle

Back to top Go down

Post by gibbo104 Sun 06 Nov 2011, 7:42 pm

Apparently Carlos Condit vs. Josh Koscheck is in the works for UFC 143 in Las Vegas. I originally thought that Condit was going to face Ellenberger but seeing as Condit already has a W over Ellenberger I thought that was a strange match-up (even though Ellenberger has come off an impressive win over Shields), but now it seems verbal agreements are in place for Condit to square off against Koscheck.

I like the fight as they haven’t fought each other before and they are both top 5 WW's but this is a difficult fight for Condit and if Kos wins then that could really screw up the WW number 1 contender division

gibbo104

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 07 Nov 2011, 9:45 am

It's good that the WW division is so stacked but a big problem in that GSP beats them all.

The UFC would be safer paying Condit to sit out until he can fight the GSP/Diaz winner because if Kos beat Condit, the UFC would struggle to promote or justify GSP vs Kos 3.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 07 Nov 2011, 11:42 am

Valero's Conscience wrote:It's good that the WW division is so stacked but a big problem in that GSP beats them all.

The UFC would be safer paying Condit to sit out until he can fight the GSP/Diaz winner because if Kos beat Condit, the UFC would struggle to promote or justify GSP vs Kos 3.

Thats why I cant understand Condit v Kos?

Condit v Ellenberger was a split decision if I remember correctly? Surely justifies a rematch between these two rather then Kos (especially with the potential for CSP v Kos III)

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 07 Nov 2011, 2:14 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
Valero's Conscience wrote:It's good that the WW division is so stacked but a big problem in that GSP beats them all.

Thats why I cant understand Condit v Kos?

Condit v Ellenberger was a split decision if I remember correctly? Surely justifies a rematch between these two rather then Kos (especially with the potential for CSP v Kos III)

Totally agree.

If he doesn't want to make Condit sit out (which avoids a lot of potential problems if he loses) then a title eliminator vs Ellenburger is probably the next best thing.

I'd be surprised if Kos vs Condit is made as it is promotional suicide if kos wins!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:05 pm

I can't see any other reason for the UFC booking this fight unless they are certain Condit could beat Koscheck. Koscheck likes to KO people using a big looping right hook if I'm not mistaken? This gives Condit plenty of opportunity to KO him and achieve KO of the night honours - this will add to his 'highlight reel' and add a big name in the WW division to his record, which the UFC will use to maximum effect when Condit faces the winner of GSP v Diaz. Either that or the UFC genuinely still rank Koscheck as a credible title contender after going 5 rounds with GSP and beating Matt Hughes?

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by gibbo104 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 5:09 pm

talkingpoint wrote:I can't see any other reason for the UFC booking this fight unless they are certain Condit could beat Koscheck. Koscheck likes to KO people using a big looping right hook if I'm not mistaken? This gives Condit plenty of opportunity to KO him and achieve KO of the night honours - this will add to his 'highlight reel' and add a big name in the WW division to his record, which the UFC will use to maximum effect when Condit faces the winner of GSP v Diaz. Either that or the UFC genuinely still rank Koscheck as a credible title contender after going 5 rounds with GSP and beating Matt Hughes?

You have a good point here, Kos has been working on and using his stand-up but I think Condit wins 99 out of 100 times in a stand-up battle with Kos. My only concern is that Kos will try to lay n Pray on top of Condit for 3 rounds for the UD, Condit however is good off his back but hopefully can stuff Koschecks' take downs. I think everyone would want to see Condit get the W so we have a legitimate number 1 contender that is not Kos

gibbo104

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down