The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Groves - Smith

+9
Pedro147
Steffan
WelshDevilRob
Mind the windows Tino.
Fists of Fury
Scottrf
Lance
captain carrantuohil
KingMonkey
13 posters

Go down

Groves  -  Smith Empty Groves - Smith

Post by KingMonkey Fri 04 Nov 2011, 11:09 am

Couldn't see a thread so thought I'd start one. Can't wait for this. I'm a big Groves fan so desperate for him to win this and kick on. Should be a good test but I can't see Smith 'outpunching' Groves as he is claiming so I'll go for a UD for Groves, maybe a late ko.

Great to see George back in the ring at last! How do you boys see it going?

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Groves  -  Smith Empty Re: Groves - Smith

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 04 Nov 2011, 11:17 am

Smith has a huge edge in experience over Groves, who may be a little rusty to begin with. Assuming George gets through the first couple of rounds unscathed, however, he has a much more varied arsenal with which to inflict damage than Smith, whose much vaunted power didn't put a noticeable dent in DeGale's chin. I happen to think that Groves is comfortably the better technician and would hope to see him confirm this by stoppage, perhaps somewhere around Round 9.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Fri 04 Nov 2011, 11:19 am

george is favourite, i can see why, but smith is at 4/1 and that is excellent value. when two guys from the same promoter go head to head, you hav to see it from the promoters point of view to get a clear indication of how competitive the fight is. smith is a good little earner for warren, with good backing on mersyside, and after feeding him to the lambs with degale, i think hes given him a chance of redemption here. the winner will get a rematch with degale and one of the three will go straight on to world level. if warren thinks smith has a chance, then surely we must too. 50/50 fight i think

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 04 Nov 2011, 11:21 am

Smith's power has been shown against Middleweights not quite at the domestic level. I can see the physicality being on Groves' side.

So while Smith may want to walk him down, I think that if Groves steps backwards it will be on his terms. Wouldn't be surprised to see Smith causes him some problems, but I think he will get fairly well outboxed. If pushed, I'd say a decision for Groves.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Fri 04 Nov 2011, 11:26 am

I really don't see Smith's power at all. Rolling over two bums since his fight with Degale has done nothing to persuade me that he can dig. So long as Groves boxes properly and keeps his chin down I just can't see Smith troubling him. It'll be interesting to see Groves' tactics.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 04 Nov 2011, 11:28 am

Groves by stoppage somewhere around the 10th, for me.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Nov 2011, 11:28 am

I can see Groves taking a relatively comfortable decision. Groves looked a little shaky against Anderson but he seems bright enough to have learned from that and won't/shouldn't allow himself to be dragged into a brawl, which is Smith's best chance of winning.

Had he fought since DeGale, I would fancy a late stoppage, but he may not really hit his straps till later in the fight and I think he have to settle for a points win. DeGale had the flashy, quick combinations to shake Smith and force the stoppage. Groves is a more technically correct puncher than DeGale but they are slower, and in light of this, I think Smith has enough experience and a decent enough chin to see the final bell.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Fri 04 Nov 2011, 1:19 pm

I think this will be a tasty fight. I think Groves will get to Smith around the 7th or 8th.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 04 Nov 2011, 2:06 pm

Dont think Groves will stop him but will win via a UD

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Fri 04 Nov 2011, 2:13 pm

Steffan wrote:Dont think Groves will stop him but will win via a UD

With you on this one Steffan.

Last edited by Pedro147 on Fri 04 Nov 2011, 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 04 Nov 2011, 2:15 pm

I think it will be a tough night for Groves but his counter punching and good chin will carry him through

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 04 Nov 2011, 2:18 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I can see Groves taking a relatively comfortable decision. Groves looked a little shaky against Anderson but he seems bright enough to have learned from that and won't/shouldn't allow himself to be dragged into a brawl, which is Smith's best chance of winning.

Had he fought since DeGale, I would fancy a late stoppage, but he may not really hit his straps till later in the fight and I think he have to settle for a points win. DeGale had the flashy, quick combinations to shake Smith and force the stoppage. Groves is a more technically correct puncher than DeGale but they are slower, and in light of this, I think Smith has enough experience and a decent enough chin to see the final bell.

In the Groves Degale fight I was surpised that Groves' handspeed appeared to be the match of Degales actually, Tino.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 04 Nov 2011, 2:20 pm

Really need to watch that at some point.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 04 Nov 2011, 2:21 pm

You've not seen it, mate?

One of the fights (well, the decisions) that I've enjoyed the most in recent memory. A tight fight, nobody knew who was going to edge it and it was brilliant when Groves' hand was raised. Especially given that Degale had began celebrating at the announcement of "and still undefeated" Doh

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 04 Nov 2011, 2:22 pm

I've seen it, but at the arena, not since on TV. I had Groves by 4 rounds though, so think I need to have another look.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 04 Nov 2011, 2:27 pm

Has anyone watched a re run on Frank Warren TV via youtube?

Warren employee Colin Hart has DeGale winning by about 2-3 rounds Laugh

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Nov 2011, 2:34 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I can see Groves taking a relatively comfortable decision. Groves looked a little shaky against Anderson but he seems bright enough to have learned from that and won't/shouldn't allow himself to be dragged into a brawl, which is Smith's best chance of winning.

In the Groves Degale fight I was surpised that Groves' handspeed appeared to be the match of Degales actually, Tino.

I didn't get that impression personally but theres not much in it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 04 Nov 2011, 4:16 pm

i put the degale groves fight in our magic performances scott mate... fancy groves late on too good but a very interesting fight.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Fri 04 Nov 2011, 5:16 pm

Can't help feeling Groves is going to always be in the shadow of Degale under Warren unless something bad happens to Degale. Seems ridculous to me that the winner Groves is fighting an opponent who has already been outclassed by Degale yet Degale gets the Euro belt shot and world ranking and will likely be the first one to have a shot at 'world honours'

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 04 Nov 2011, 5:26 pm

but is being rushed into that actually a good thing?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Fri 04 Nov 2011, 5:35 pm

I dont think either should really be going into Euro shots quite yet despite Degale scraping the win but my point is whatever Degale does, it seems he will be doing it before Groves even though he was the winner of their fight.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 04 Nov 2011, 5:47 pm

think that might be a blessing in disguise - gives him more time to learn his trade.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 04 Nov 2011, 6:33 pm

I think it will be a close fight, and if Smith can make it a bit messy I would not be shocked if he manages to stop Groves.. I think Groves has a dodgy chin and the moment he get caught be a hard punch I think its over.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 04 Nov 2011, 6:53 pm

dont think groves has a dodgy chin personally... took plenty of shots from a hrd hitting anderson put on the floor once but is good in my opinion.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 06 Nov 2011, 12:24 am

Some fighters just have that certain something; Groves has the priceless ability to put a poor round or a bad moment behind him and focus on the moment at hand. Possible to argue the precise timing of the stoppage, but no doubt about who was going to win the bout. To me, Groves seems to improve by the fight, in gradual increments. He speaks of a long-term plan to learn, apply that knowledge and get to the top - I think he will reach his goal. He has the ringcraft, brain and maturity to set alongside developing all-round skills and a big heart, all of which make him an excellent bet to be knocking on the door of world champion status by the end of 2013.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sun 06 Nov 2011, 1:34 am

Smith is one of boxing's underachievers... and probably always will be. He has the talent to be a Euro/commonwealth, fringe world title holder but keeps taking his eye off the ball. Tonight, he just got caught by a great punch.

Groves gives me headaches. He obviously has talent and intelligence... a rare commodity. His performance against Degale was amazing for someone of so few fights (as was Degale's. Lets not forget these boys are novices). He has shown he can adapt his game plan. He can fight on the back foot and the front foot. But something still makes me nervous of him.

I hope he proves me wrong, because I really like the lad. As for the Brit SMW division. Its pretty hot. Smith, if he's serious should get back in the fray. But Groves, Degale, Anderson and (if he fancies it) make for a pretty talented domestic scene... shame there isn't enough belts...

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 06 Nov 2011, 1:39 am

I would have liked to have seen Degale take on Anderson before the Euro fight, but looks like that won't happen now, but it doesn't matter now...

I do agree, I get that strange feeling he's very beatable, but has performed fantastically so far, so can't truly complain. Our British guys have always been great at Super Middle, with the likes of Benn Eubank Calzaghe Froch etc. hopefully these two will keep it up.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sun 06 Nov 2011, 1:47 am

Alex,

I really like Groves, but as you say, he seems "very beatable"... but has won so far. I really like the fact, at this stage, he learns and can adapt. But he still gets caught!

Smith should be a "contender". He had talent and power but he puts in a lot of bad performances. Anderson is under rated. Groves, and in my opinion Degale, deserve the credits. They are world class boxers in the making. They will go on to get world belts and then the big money unifications and rematches... and good on them. They both deserve it. In my lifetime I can't remember two such hot prospects. They only have a barely a dozen fights each and are cruising at domestic/euro level.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 06 Nov 2011, 1:51 am

Only one problem I would say is that the Super Middle Weight scene has so many tough guys right now, Direll Bute Ward etc. could be a hard scene to crack for them both. But they are some of the best prospects Britain has seen in a while in my opinion.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sun 06 Nov 2011, 2:04 am

Yes, but they are 5-10 fights off world class. Is Dirrell still boxing? Ward will fight Froch and we'll see about Bute. These two lads (and maybe Anderson) are a year or two off this standard and who know's where we will be by then. But I agree the SMW division is looking very exciting.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 06 Nov 2011, 2:07 am

Well he is still sparring I know that... unsure not fought in over a year...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down