The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

why are fighters allowed to choose who they fight?

4 posters

Go down

why are fighters allowed to choose who they fight? Empty why are fighters allowed to choose who they fight?

Post by Fernando Sun 06 Mar 2011, 11:02 pm

1st time ive been on the boxing board so be kind.

if the titles are owned by wbc, wbo ibf and ibo

why are the fighters allowed to choose their opponents ,just look at amir khan he's taken the easy route to the title apart from prescott and maidana?

if that's the case what's the point of mandatory opponents?

they should stop giving them the choice of who to fight and make fights people want to see to stop all these stupid clauses in contracts

also if you pull out of fight the person you agreed to fight should be 1st in line and if isn't defended with 6 months should have to drop the titles

admittedly boxing is a short career and need to make money out of it.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

why are fighters allowed to choose who they fight? Empty Re: why are fighters allowed to choose who they fight?

Post by Scottrf Sun 06 Mar 2011, 11:14 pm

You have a mixture of mandatory and optional opponents.

You are making the mistake of thinking that the commissions are any more concerned about the interests of the fans than the boxers are. Mandatories are a lot better in theory than practice.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

why are fighters allowed to choose who they fight? Empty Re: why are fighters allowed to choose who they fight?

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 06 Mar 2011, 11:15 pm

Well you mention Khan and then conveniently ignore Salita who was his mandatory

One mandatory and then a bout of joice seems fair to me

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 06 Mar 2011, 11:24 pm

frankly i know nothing about boxing and how it works.

i watch boxing when i can.

it was just a general enquiry to be honest.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 06 Mar 2011, 11:35 pm

fernando wrote:frankly i know nothing about boxing and how it works.

i watch boxing when i can.

it was just a general enquiry to be honest.
Hope my reply wasn't too abrupt.

Basically, the guys who run the belts - WBC, WBO etc look out for themselves. They have little to no concern for the welfare of the sport. Their mandatories have loose relation to the next best guy out there a lot of the time. For example, Salita shot up the rankings (without fighting) just before he became Khan's mandatory - I don't think that can be on merit. It's politics/payoffs/promoter influence, whatever you want to call it.

It's not like another sport, there's no governing body that rules over all of boxing. There are competing organisations whose only concern is what they can charge in sanctioning fees.

These guys are fighting for themselves, and if they don't want to fight someone, noone can make them. It has to come down to the boxers wanting to prove themselves, because otherwise they can unfortunately find a cheap route to a belt.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 06 Mar 2011, 11:41 pm

Like has been said Fernando the organisations do say who their champions fight but in-between these dates are when fighters can choose who they fight.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down