The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Fury fight again- should he be allowed to?

+10
Derbymanc
AdamT
TRUSSMAN66
hazharrison
Rowley
Mochyn du
Mr Bounce
BoxingFan88
catchweight
horizontalhero
14 posters

Go down

Will Fury fight again- should he be allowed to? Empty Will Fury fight again- should he be allowed to?

Post by horizontalhero Thu 13 Oct 2016, 8:47 pm

Serious question- I have no real knowledge of the brain or mental illness, but I know if you are prone to lung infections, you stay away from dust and smoke, if you have bad knees you avoid running, so if you are prone to mental illness, is participation in a sport which inevitably harms your brain asking for more trouble? if he does return to the ring, is Fury increasing the likeliness that his illness will return or even worsen? Depression seems common in ex boxers, now it could well be coincidental- correlation doesn't always equal causation ,except in the Daily mail obviously, Interested to hear your opinions.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Will Fury fight again- should he be allowed to? Empty Re: Will Fury fight again- should he be allowed to?

Post by catchweight Thu 13 Oct 2016, 8:59 pm

Let the man fight!

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Will Fury fight again- should he be allowed to? Empty Re: Will Fury fight again- should he be allowed to?

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 13 Oct 2016, 10:55 pm

I really hope it's only a small layoff

But I fear its going to be more serious than that

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 13 Oct 2016, 11:32 pm

I think it's way too early to start talking about such a thing. Fury's got some big issues to sort, and any talk of him coming back at any point should be shelved until he has had the help he clearly needs.

This will be an ongoing situation for him and will take a lot of hard work to put right. For me it's an "if" rather than "when".

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Mochyn du Fri 14 Oct 2016, 12:05 pm

I would love him fight again if only to see Anthony Joshua clean him out.

I feel Fury might retire the con he is and make a living on the after dinner circuit regaling his audiences about the night he became champion - by stinking the place out slightly less than his opponent.

Mochyn du

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 14 Oct 2016, 12:18 pm

Mochyn du wrote:I would love him fight again if only to see Anthony Joshua clean him out.  

I feel Fury might retire the con he is and make a living on the after dinner circuit  regaling his audiences about the night he became champion - by stinking the place out slightly less than his opponent.

Harsh, he beat a guy who had not come close to being beaten in 11 years, winning the legitimate heavyweight champion of the world in the process, only the third ever Brit to do so I might add. Whether he fights again or not nobody can take that away from him or diminish the achievement. I'd love to see him back again, but would rather see him healthy and happy in life, that must surely be his priority. If he is happier without boxing in his life so be it. If he is happier with boxing in his life I for one would welcome him back.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 14 Oct 2016, 12:20 pm

Mochyn du wrote:I would love him fight again if only to see Anthony Joshua clean him out.  

I feel Fury might retire the con he is and make a living on the after dinner circuit  regaling his audiences about the night he became champion - by stinking the place out slightly less than his opponent.

That isn't Fury. He's more likely to disappear into obscurity - he couldn't care less about being famous.

If he gets healthy and wants to come back then all power to him. Have a feeling the circus isn't over yet, though. UKAD hearing imminent and tabloids stalking him like they do Gazza.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 14 Oct 2016, 12:22 pm

Rowley wrote:

Harsh, he beat a guy who had not come close to being beaten in 11 years, winning the legitimate heavyweight champion of the world in the process, only the third ever Brit to do so I might add. Whether he fights again or not nobody can take that away from him or diminish the achievement. I'd love to see him back again, but would rather see him healthy and happy in life, that must surely be his priority. If he is happier without boxing in his life so be it. If he is happier with boxing in his life I for one would welcome him back.

I agree. It was a performance of real nerve in light of all of the tricks, mind games and attempts to exert control the Klitschko's broke out over there.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 14 Oct 2016, 12:27 pm

I imagine he'd be happier with Boxing in his life......and I imagine he'll be back sooner rather than later.....

As for being happy and healthy I echo those sentiments but would add I'd like to see him try to acquire those goals more quietly.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 14 Oct 2016, 12:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I imagine he'd be happier with Boxing in his life......and I imagine he'll be back sooner rather than later.....

As for being happy and healthy I echo those sentiments but would add I'd like to see him try to acquire those goals more quietly.....

clap

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct 2016, 2:00 pm

Personally I believe Fury knows he'll never hit those heights again and as a result, he'll want to have the memory of his win rather than a humiliating loss on his comeback as his defining career moment. Genuinely can't think of any fighters who've battled mental illness and returned to the ring better than when they left and certainly don't believe Fury is the man to buck that trend.

Given the way he's perceived a backlash against him and the problems it's caused him, I can't see Fury having the mental strength to want to go out and prove his doubters wrong given his inability to do it this time.

Not saying it makes him weak person, but with his numerous declarations about how he'd be happy without boxing and it means nothing to him, what would he be fighting for? To prove himself to a bunch of people who don't care about him?

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 14 Oct 2016, 2:28 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Personally I believe Fury knows he'll never hit those heights again and as a result, he'll want to have the memory of his win rather than a humiliating loss on his comeback as his defining career moment. Genuinely can't think of any fighters who've battled mental illness and returned to the ring better than when they left and certainly don't believe Fury is the man to buck that trend.

Given the way he's perceived a backlash against him and the problems it's caused him, I can't see Fury having the mental strength to want to go out and prove his doubters wrong given his inability to do it this time.

Not saying it makes him weak person, but with his numerous declarations about how he'd be happy without boxing and it means nothing to him, what would he be fighting for? To prove himself to a bunch of people who don't care about him?

He could always have the mental strength, to come back and fight local bodybuilders for money.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 14 Oct 2016, 2:47 pm

If he gets the medical help he needs then no reason why he can't fight again, i'd also make him see a phsyciatrist every month or something to make sure he's fine if it's that bad. Don't want another Mccall in the ring

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct 2016, 3:04 pm

I'd make him see a shrink between rounds

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 14 Oct 2016, 3:11 pm

DAVE667 wrote:I'd make him see a shrink between rounds

You really don't like Fury, do you??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct 2016, 3:25 pm

AdamT wrote:

No, always seen him as a massive....................overachiever (the kindest thing I can find to say about him)

He and his family have bleated on about mistreatment and oppression yet we're supposed to forget his father gouged out a man's eye over a spilled drink. Utterly dreadful bunch of people. The quicker he fades into obscurity the better

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 14 Oct 2016, 3:26 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
AdamT wrote:

No, always seen him as a massive....................overachiever (the kindest thing I can find to say about him)

He and his family have bleated on about mistreatment and oppression yet we're supposed to forget his father gouged out a man's eye over a spilled drink. Utterly dreadful bunch of people. The quicker he fades into obscurity the better

Yet you're a fan of the biggest fake in the division??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct 2016, 3:29 pm

AdamT wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
AdamT wrote:

Told you before mate, love knows not rhyme or reason...and at least Haye defended his titles. Besides which, seems now that Fury is challenging for "biggest fake in the division" with drug issues, injuries and numerous shenanigans.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 14 Oct 2016, 3:35 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
AdamT wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
AdamT wrote:

Told you before mate, love knows not rhyme or reason...and at least Haye defended his titles. Besides which, seems now that Fury is challenging for "biggest fake in the division" with drug issues, injuries and numerous shenanigans.

ABC titles. Fury can at least retire as the heavyweight champ.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct 2016, 3:48 pm

AdamT wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
AdamT wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
AdamT wrote:

Blah blah blah, fluke? Bad night for Wlad? Great performance from Fury? Maybe, maybe not, so let Fury fight him again and prove he's the real deal. Nah, let's fake a few injuries, f*ck off to France and party with the football fans, take a shedload of drugs and then claim mental illness rather than the fact he knows deep down his win was a once in three lifetimes freak occurrence.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 14 Oct 2016, 3:52 pm

Maybe he can come back and fight some bodybuilder, or that clown Valuev.

To be fair to Haye, he put more miles on the clock than Farah, with his performances with Valuev and Wlad.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 14 Oct 2016, 4:00 pm

How exactly is this about Haye?

I hope Fury has had his last fight, we don't need any more of his attention seeking fake injuries, it's really low feigning mental illness.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct 2016, 4:01 pm

Valuev retired ages ago.He's now a kids' tv presenter.
Who knows if Fury will fight again, but surely we should wish him all the best whatever ?
It seems a bit strange that some of his offense was caused by relating standard Christian dogma(albeit zealotry, but that's the deal ).Which many Christians do believe.
And some people can't,or won't forgive him for that. Maybe they should take the spear out of their own eye before looking for the speck in others'...

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 14 Oct 2016, 4:14 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:How exactly is this about Haye?

I hope Fury has had his last fight, we don't need any more of his attention seeking fake injuries, it's really low feigning mental illness.

How do you know he's feigning? Are you a DR??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 14 Oct 2016, 4:51 pm

How do you know it's legitimate?

His uncles own words are quite instructive, he's affected by bad press that he brings on himself so who cares.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 14 Oct 2016, 5:10 pm

I don't know Hammer. I have no idea, that is the truth.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 14 Oct 2016, 5:16 pm

andygf wrote:Valuev retired ages ago.He's now a kids' tv presenter.
Who knows if Fury will fight again, but surely we should wish him all the best whatever ?
It seems a bit strange that some of his offense was caused by relating   standard Christian dogma(albeit  zealotry, but that's the deal ).Which  many Christians do believe.
And some people can't,or won't  forgive him for that. Maybe they should take the spear out of their own eye before looking for the speck in others'...

"Send your parents out of the room" results in children clinging to their parents legs begging not to be fed to the yeti.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 14 Oct 2016, 5:23 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
AdamT wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
AdamT wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
AdamT wrote:

Blah blah blah, fluke? Bad night for Wlad? Great performance from Fury? Maybe, maybe not, so let Fury fight him again and prove he's the real deal. Nah, let's fake a few injuries, f*ck off to France and party with the football fans, take a shedload of drugs and then claim mental illness rather than the fact he knows deep down his win was a once in three lifetimes freak occurrence.

Fury doesn't have to prove anything where Wlad is concerned......

Wlad has to prove he has the bollox to fight someone taller and heavier......When he can't clinch and maul a smaller foe he has to fight...... and he didn't seem to want to......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 14 Oct 2016, 5:38 pm

There's a certain irony in sticking two fingers up at society because you don't care what anyone thinks... And then claiming that you're depressed because the people you're sticking two fingers up at are being mean to you.

That said its not that unusual either. While the fury's aren't the world's most reliable witnesses, I'd be more surprised if he wasn't diagnosed as bi- polar than if he was.

Getting punched in the head can trigger depression I believe and it's an going battle do who knows if he'll be back. Suspect it will boil down to whether he really wants to rather than any current or future diagnosis

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct 2016, 5:38 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
AdamT wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
AdamT wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
AdamT wrote:

Fury doesn't have to prove anything where Wlad is concerned......

Wlad has to prove he has the bollox to fight someone taller and heavier......When he can't clinch and maul a smaller foe he has to fight...... and he didn't seem to want to......
So, it's both of them need to prove the first fight was an freak occurrence. Seems only one of them wants it, though....

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 14 Oct 2016, 7:38 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:How do you know it's legitimate?

We don't, some people in life choose to think the best of people, some choose to think the worst. I'm happier being one of the former.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Oct 2016, 1:14 am

Rowley wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:How do you know it's legitimate?

We don't, some people in life choose to think the best of people, some choose to think the worst. I'm happier being one of the former.
One needs to form a balanced opinion based on evidence and rational assessment.  One also needs to take into account significance and relevance.  People (especially childlike people) do have a habit of pushing the boundaries of what they can get away with ... hence the expression give them an inch and they will take a mile. Taking the view "I shall think the best of everyone" one must not give up on the adult responsibility of helping to create a society that is ordered and fair.

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 15 Oct 2016, 11:29 am

Hes a a heavyweight boxer, not a u.n peace envoy.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Oct 2016, 12:21 pm

Anyone fancy a pint? I know it's a bit early,but...

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 17 Oct 2016, 12:49 pm

The depression in boxers is an interesting one.

Not sure if boxers are more prone to it because of the boxing or because of the level of fame they get and is quickly taken away.

Most of the boxers are from poorer backgrounds, most don't have the best educations. Similar to footballers in a way but the footballer will generally still be adored by the team/s he played for where as the boxers are usually thrown aside once they finish fighting.

That can't be easy for someone who got carried away at the height of fame and thought people generally loved him.

Depression is also more prevalent in society now, whether this is because people recognise it more or modern lifestyles are more depressing.

Read an interesting article on addiction and mental health issues and to summarise the main cure was companionship as they felt the cause was loneliness. I found the article fascinating but am not qualified to comment on how true it is but I can imagine a lot of ex-boxers would feel the loneliness of retirement once the hangers on start to disappear.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Nov 2016, 3:12 pm

Have just heard the news that Donald Trump has appointed Tyson Fury as Secretary of State for P.E.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down