The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manny vs May - The pace is Manny's only hope!!!

+2
paperbag_puncher
TRUSSMAN66
6 posters

Go down

Manny vs May - The pace is Manny's only hope!!! Empty Manny vs May - The pace is Manny's only hope!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 8:24 pm

You can't really say that Marquez will have that much bearing on a Mayweather-Manny fight...different styles and all.....

But one thing you can say is that Manny's only hope is to control the tempo with spoiling when possible....

Floyd doesn't like a fast pace and likes time to dissect an opponent with his surgeon-like counters!!!!

Manny needs to start fast and keep it fast without allowing Floyd too much success because a la Hatton he'll wear him down.....and bring the pace down with it....(starling-honey etc)

Manny can't change now so he can't really be less open...so he'll have to right jab..straight left and back with the right as always......however Floyd can't fight 3 minutes a round for 12 rounds and here lies his chance...

For me pace dictation is Manny's only hope...to tire Floyd out before he has the chance to slow the tempo...

floyd controls the pace...he controls the fight!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Manny vs May - The pace is Manny's only hope!!! Empty Re: Manny vs May - The pace is Manny's only hope!!!

Post by Guest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:49 pm

Spot on, Floyd has been more aggressive recently by standing in the pocket and firing harder shots.

I make this point because it backs up a F.Roach point a while ago saying that Floyd isn't moving and dancing any more because his legs are apparently gone.

If so, then I agree, to have any chance, Manny has to exploit with a ferocious pace and hope he is fast enough to make it count against a less mobile Floyd.

Whether Manny can do this is another matter.

I felt throughout the Marquez fight, that despite an excellent performance by JMM, if Manny simply upped the pace back to his more intense best, he'd take it away from JMM and win the exchanges. Instead of looking poor against the sharp counters then becoming concerned about committing to an attack.

Back to top Go down

Manny vs May - The pace is Manny's only hope!!! Empty Re: Manny vs May - The pace is Manny's only hope!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:54 pm

Thing is he has to force the pace cleverly....Not go in with a wing and a prayer...

A few big shots as he's coming in will dissuade him as he'll already view Floyd as a big cheese and may lose confidence the way Hatton did after a fast start...

We don't know deep down how Manny feels about Floyd...so it may not take as many counters as we think for Floyd to dictate!!

Clever pressure....is required..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 10:02 pm

Sounds like we're taking about Hatton when he fought Floyd.

Which is a huge disrespect to Manny!!! haha

The approach is the same though, just different attributes to get there.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 10:05 pm

You ever watch Azumah Nelson??? he was an expert at forcing his opponents to work whilst doing as little as possible......hence forcing the pace..without over-committing.....Jie Louis had this gift also

not really talking about Hatton...

Manny has to find a way to intimidate floyd..to make him work without over-committing himself!! as his defence is garbage!!

Easier said than done..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Tue 15 Nov 2011, 10:59 pm

To be honest I wouldn't give Manny any hope at this stage. He's looking a little bit worse with every performance and doesn't look capable of dictating the pace for 12 rounds..

Whether hes taken his eye of the ball and thought he just had to turn up, or is distracted by his other ventures or its simply just a natural regression, he hasn't looked good in a while.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 15 Nov 2011, 11:54 pm

In my opinion the problem is that Manny will not be able to control the pace whatsoever and the main problem is he doesn't know how to begin attacks against a defensive fighter.

Circle to the left and use the right hand all night is in order and to be honest I don't think Manny ever could or would have beaten Floyd he's just all wrong for him in truth...

Even Mosley made him look poor and if he had thrown the right hand with some tenacity he could have actually done something.

In my opinion Manny is a bit of a one trick pony... Without a shadow of a doubt he is a great, and there is no one on this earth in between 135 - 154 that can fight Manny at his own fight. However that's not boxing and you will encounter styles that you don't have the skillset to solve. Manny doesn't have the skillset to solve Floyd.

You're right that Manny could win if he dictates pace, but it's not going to be possible for him to do unless Floyd fights him mano a mano. Which we know won't happen, I've been pretty vocal that Manny has never and will never stand a chance against Floyd. If he can't get on the outside foot of MArquez then he has no chance on the bigger and better Floyd.

The fight is all down to footwork, and Floyd needs to circle to his left which is virtually Manny's kryptonite and he will be open to the right hand and will be made to miss and won't understand how to launch attacks.

Floyd wins 9 rounds to 3... Maybe even wider.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 16 Nov 2011, 12:01 am

I actually agree with the Huck on this one

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 16 Nov 2011, 12:02 am

Steffan wrote:I actually agree with the Huck on this one
Before the Marquez fight you were saying I was talking garbo!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 16 Nov 2011, 12:05 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:

No I totally agreed with you and was just trying make Fists look good as I like to keep in the mods good books......honest

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 16 Nov 2011, 12:06 am

Steffan wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

No I totally agreed with you and was just trying make Fists look good as I like to keep in the mods good books......honest

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 16 Nov 2011, 12:11 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:...

Glad we agree

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by cave_man_KO Wed 16 Nov 2011, 1:15 pm

I disagree with roach assesment of Floyds legs gone. He's 34 and has simply taken to fighting more aggessive.

I think we need to bear in mind what De La Hoya said about fighting floyd, which I was reminded of the other day.

which was along the lines of "the thing with floyd is, you get him where you want him, go to hit him, only to find he's not there and you are now where he wants you and bang, your tagged."

How can manny, or anyone for that matter, pin him down for the duration.

This will be tiring on both the body and the mind. And one thing I think we can all agree on is Pacquiao is not a thinking fighter, If he does as you suggest truss, he will catch alot of glove and shoulder, and if his last 3 fights are anything to go by, he is getting slower and would not last the 12 rounds keeping the focus and not letting the frustration get to him whilst keeping up the lightning pace required. the moment he takes his foot off the gas he's lost IMO, as floyd is just on another level, great as manny is.

One man who cuold is Amir khan, however I doubt he is of a skill level to throw the sort of punches that would trouble floyd.

cave_man_KO

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Wed 16 Nov 2011, 1:45 pm

Sadly with this fight nowadays were talking about potentially Floyd slowing down... manny not quite having the the same zip since the Cotto fight

If only they got it on a few years back when they where both at there respective peaks.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:27 pm

alma wrote:
kevchadders wrote:Sadly with this fight nowadays were talking about potentially Floyd slowing down... manny not quite having the the same zip since the Cotto fight

If only they got it on a few years back when they where both at there respective peaks.

when was the last time the two best fought each other at their respective peaks?

Yep, it's a shame it doesn't happen more often!

Thought we'd get somewhere with Juan Lopaz and Gamboa but then JML goes and loses!

Of course, we don't know if Manny is definitely "passed it" yet or if he's just had a couple of off nights, but still, a fight 2 years ago after Cotto would have erased all doubts.

Have to say, the last 2 performances have removed any doubt I had that Floyd would win.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:31 pm

True..he may just not be any good at facing three dimensional boxing types...that aren't screwed over by draining to make catchweight..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down