The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager?

+26
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
XR
Glas a du
majesticimperialman
nganboy
BigTrevsbigmac
doctor_grey
nathan
TycroesOsprey
mckay1402
mystiroakey
robshaw4england
offload
Gatts
Rava
Breadvan
beshocked
ME-109
LondonTiger
Metal Tiger
Geordie
maestegmafia
Knackeredknees
flankertye
bathmad
Armchairexpert
30 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager?

Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_lcap8%Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 5 ]
Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_lcap33%Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 21 ]
Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_lcap13%Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 8 ]
Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_lcap0%Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_lcap2%Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_lcap2%Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_lcap3%Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_lcap3%Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]
Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_lcap6%Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 4 ]
Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_lcap17%Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 11 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_lcap6%Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 63

Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Empty Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager?

Post by Armchairexpert Wed 16 Nov 2011, 12:49 pm

After posting a discussion topic earlier on the subject, now seems to be the right time for a poll. I hope I've pulled out all the names that were put forward and discussed, sorry if I have missed any.

Armchairexpert

Back to top Go down

Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Empty Re: Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager?

Post by bathmad Wed 16 Nov 2011, 12:55 pm

I like the idea of Nick Mallet. He's done a decent job with Italy with limited resources (including players, particularly fly halves!), has a sound record at international and club level, and has some glowing testimonies from players who say his management style is very good. Just what we need right now to steady the ship.
Otherwise I'd like a club manager to step up - Mallinder and O'Shea would be my choices as both have done well at both club and age grade development rugby.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager? Empty Re: Now Johnson is gone, who should be the next England Manager?

Post by flankertye Wed 16 Nov 2011, 12:58 pm

I've gone for Mallinder. Amazing coach. Just wonder if his saints bias will show through...

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Wed 16 Nov 2011, 12:59 pm

Gone for Jim mallinder, working wonders at Northampton, giving them a strong forward game as wellas some great back play.

Could be the fresh start England need
Would like to see Ashton back as attack coach, Catt as Backs coach,Richards(when available) as Forward Coach,Rowtree as Scrum Coach and bring Hilda in as ruck/maul/dark arts coach

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 16 Nov 2011, 2:08 pm

Do you think any of these can do a better job than MJ? And why ?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:14 pm

bathmad wrote:I like the idea of Nick Mallet. He's done a decent job with Italy with limited resources (including players, particularly fly halves!), has a sound record at international and club level, and has some glowing testimonies from players who say his management style is very good. Just what we need right now to steady the ship.
Otherwise I'd like a club manager to step up - Mallinder and O'Shea would be my choices as both have done well at both club and age grade development rugby.

Martin Johnson did a decent job with a young developingsquad....and has a sound international record.

I can tell you now...if MJ has been pushed or simply left and will be replaced by a joe average like Mallet....i will be truely gutted...

Give a young Brit a go like O'Shea or Mallinder...who has created a cracking team playing powerful open rugby,.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:29 pm

As much as it pains me to say it, our East Mids brothers down the M1 at Saints have the best prospect in Jim Mallinder.

I like what he's done down there and is responsible for many of the new young players coming into the England set up.

He has a plan of how he want Saints to play and in many ways I think MJ was trying to emulate this model.

Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:33 pm

Metal clap

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:34 pm

Jake White is unavailable.

Mallinder has made a number of mistakes at Saints - and would want to take West with him.
Connor O'Shea has RFU experience and is doing good things at Quins.

While i like both these options, I feel that taking the job will be a poisoned chalice.

The right candidate needs to be tough, ruthless and able to kick the RFU old farts (and Squeeky) in the nuts. Two men stand out - Dean Richards (who will never, ever get it) and John Mitchell - who may be available.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:35 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
bathmad wrote:I like the idea of Nick Mallet. He's done a decent job with Italy with limited resources (including players, particularly fly halves!), has a sound record at international and club level, and has some glowing testimonies from players who say his management style is very good. Just what we need right now to steady the ship.

Martin Johnson did a decent job with a young developingsquad....and has a sound international record.

I can tell you now...if MJ has been pushed or simply left and will be replaced by a joe average like Mallet....i will be truely gutted...

Give a young Brit a go like O'Shea or Mallinder...who has created a cracking team playing powerful open rugby,.....

Doh Doh Doh Doh Doh Doh

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:38 pm

Sorry Irishman....not Brit.....happy?

Would the RFU actually consider Dean Richards though....i highly doubt it....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:40 pm

Yes armchairexpert you missed Mark Mccall who has actually won the Aviva Premiership unlike other coaches who have only won minor silverware like Jim Mallinder,John O shea,Dai Young,Dean Ryan and so on.

Nick Mallett should be the man for the job.

Mallinder and O Shea are overrated and unproven till they actually win one of the big titles.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:50 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Sorry Irishman....not Brit.....happy?

A brit....OMG, You broke the sacred law! A van load of nuns are inbound to hit you with rulers Shocked
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 5:11 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Sorry Irishman....not Brit.....happy?

I'm happy that your happy....and in some way your knowledge of the world has been enhanced... Hug

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed 16 Nov 2011, 5:14 pm

I think Mallet could be the right guy for you. Conor O'Shea is well respected in RFU circles but: -
1. He might want to see if he can win something big with Quins to follow up the Amlin success, or
2. He might feel like waiting for the call from Landsdowne Road to succeed DK.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 16 Nov 2011, 5:16 pm

Rava wrote:I think Mallet could be the right guy for you. Conor O'Shea is well respected in RFU circles but: -
1. He might want to see if he can win something big with Quins to follow up the Amlin success, or
2. He might feel like waiting for the call from Landsdowne Road to succeed DK.

Well he is irish after all.....see i have go the jist of this British / irish thing Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed 16 Nov 2011, 6:16 pm

What about jonny Wilkinson?

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Wed 16 Nov 2011, 6:30 pm

Hahaha. Perhaps Gatts Wink
Mallinder may have made mistakes, but he has transformed saints in just a few years...

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed 16 Nov 2011, 6:49 pm

Come on, own up which one of you voted for the return of Woodentop ??? Shocked
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by robshaw4england Wed 16 Nov 2011, 7:05 pm

Brendan Venter!

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 7:06 pm

i think it defo should be an englishman. But not sure who Headscratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed 16 Nov 2011, 7:30 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:i think it defo should be an englishman. But not sure who Headscratch

why must it be an englishman? the rest of the team is barely english

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 16 Nov 2011, 7:35 pm

gatts when you gonna give this up

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 7:57 pm

It should be Jim mallinder but it won't be. My bet is Jake White or Nick Mallett
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:04 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Do you think any of these can do a better job than MJ? And why ?

dont know but thats immaterial- MJ is gone- time to pick the best that is available

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:56 pm

Mallet has ruled himself out and so has Jake White, who is going to want the job the way the RFU is run at the moment?

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Armchairexpert Thu 17 Nov 2011, 12:43 pm

Don't think I can remove them from the poll unfortunately

Armchairexpert

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:03 pm

eddie jones has ruled himself in....

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:17 pm

I want Eddie Jones.
The RFU may be a mess, but at least he will be funny. And, he will go public with his squabbles with the RFU. And that will probably be the best thing in the long run. Give him 18 months, then bring in a long term solution.

Not a bad idea?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 17 Nov 2011, 4:23 pm

Armchairexpert wrote:Don't think I can remove them from the poll unfortunately

ask a mod. they will do it for you

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 17 Nov 2011, 10:33 pm

I think you can cross off Jim Malinder, Nick Mallet, Clive Woodwood and Graham Henry. Dean Richards wont be on the favourites list after the RFU banned him for the last two years.

Dean Ryan kind of talked his way out of it tonight. SAid he doesnt want to work for an organisation that is so disorganised.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 17 Nov 2011, 10:34 pm

Wayne Smith wsa a good suggestion on SKY Sports tonight

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu 17 Nov 2011, 10:47 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I think you can cross off Jim Malinder, Nick Mallet, Clive Woodwood and Graham Henry. Dean Richards wont be on the favourites list after the RFU banned him for the last two years.

Dean Ryan kind of talked his way out of it tonight. SAid he doesnt want to work for an organisation that is so disorganised.

Why would Malinder be crossed off, he said he wants the job & Barwell said he would do all he could to keep him but would not stand in his way ?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:06 pm

Given that 3 of the semi finalists at the WC were coached by Kiwi's maybe a Kiwi coach wouldn't be a bad idea. If its good enough for Canada and Japan why not England.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:36 am

its turning into Mallinder cos no one else wants it, give it to PDV!!!!!!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 18 Nov 2011, 5:35 am

It seems that if Mallinder does niot take the job, the it will be Eddie Jones.

Will that be such a bad thing.

But who will want the job if, they do not get 100% win rate(win the 6ns ) from the go their out.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:47 am

majesticimperialman wrote:It seems that if Mallinder does niot take the job, the it will be Eddie Jones.

Will that be such a bad thing.

But who will want the job if, they do not get 100% win rate(win the 6ns ) from the go their out.

i dont agree with that at all- the manager will go though till minimum of the 2015 wc- unless the manager is so bad that results are insanely bad

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:49 am

Richards. Forget the sillyness, he will have learnt all he needs to from that incident.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 18 Nov 2011, 1:01 pm

Sean Edwards has had his say and it's spot on, in my opinion. It's here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/15787751.stm

Although, the most interesting bit is at the bottom:

Edwards also criticised RFU operations director Rob Andrew, who was Johnson's line manager, yet refused to take responsibility for England's World Cup performance at a news conference on Wednesday.

"Rob Andrew has the air of a man who either is or thinks he's in charge," Edwards added. "And in that respect shouldn't he perhaps think about his own position, even if someone else isn't about to do it for him?

"Meanwhile, big men, like Johnson, take the rap."

Too true and maybe highlights a reason as to why only one person has openly stated they'd want the job? Rob Andrew has overseen 3 coaches in 6 years...that's not good enough, that's verging on what the WRU used to behave like.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 18 Nov 2011, 1:12 pm

gcBlues wrote:Too true and maybe highlights a reason as to why only one person has openly stated they'd want the job? Rob Andrew has overseen 3 coaches in 6 years...that's not good enough, that's verging on what the WRU used to behave like.
gc, In fairness to Squeaky, I think it was Martyn Thomas that instructed him to fire Ashton and hire Johnston OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 18 Nov 2011, 1:23 pm

I have this really odd feeling that England arent going to be able to attract a top manager right now so they will be left with 2 options. Hire a manager with little to no international experience straight away and hope for the best or Rob Andrew steps in as temporary manager until a new one can be found.

Would be a bit concerned if i was an England fan to be honest.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 18 Nov 2011, 3:25 pm

Thats the stuff of nightmares Billy, but your probably right The RFU is in such a 808 state, potential candidates are going to be put off. I hope they do offer the gig to Mallinder (sorry saints fans) and get him, along with the coaching staff HE wants, in asap.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 18 Nov 2011, 3:46 pm

Overall I want England to have a mean and nasty pack who can score tries thru rolling mauls and a set of backs who can ask questions of the defence."

Yup...we are missing the grizzled pack.....over athleticism....

Im a fan of Dean Richards....and think he would be a great choice....but as said he wont be picked now.

Can we list other possibilities rediculous or not:

Booth at LI
John Mitchell
Neil Back

Who else?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by senghenydd1913 Fri 18 Nov 2011, 5:06 pm

Graham Norton??
senghenydd1913
senghenydd1913

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 18 Nov 2011, 7:59 pm

Yup thats rediculous alright....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 18 Nov 2011, 8:15 pm

gcBlues wrote:Sean Edwards has had his say and it's spot on, in my opinion. It's here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/15787751.stm

Although, the most interesting bit is at the bottom:

Edwards also criticised RFU operations director Rob Andrew, who was Johnson's line manager, yet refused to take responsibility for England's World Cup performance at a news conference on Wednesday.

"Rob Andrew has the air of a man who either is or thinks he's in charge," Edwards added. "And in that respect shouldn't he perhaps think about his own position, even if someone else isn't about to do it for him?

"Meanwhile, big men, like Johnson, take the rap."

Too true and maybe highlights a reason as to why only one person has openly stated they'd want the job? Rob Andrew has overseen 3 coaches in 6 years...that's not good enough, that's verging on what the WRU used to behave like.

""Meanwhile, big men, like Johnson, take the rap.""

look erm not being funny but big men(real men) dont give up- MJ could have stayed on and turned it around- but he quit. I reakon most fans would have said- ok fine no problem, he is learning, he can come good!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:07 pm

Sorry Mystie, but MJ had to resign. He had no other alternative. Rob Andrew was never happy with the fact that Martyn Thomas wanted him appointed and never stood by him.

Had he have chosen to stay (like a real man as you say) he would have been fired in my opinion. MJ didnt quit in my eyes.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:26 pm

It is almost comically simplistic to suggest he is a lesser man because he has resigned.

Who are any of us to judge a man until we walk in his shoes?

Sometimes the depths of absurdity to which oakey goes surprises even me

That Rob Andrew though, what a sleaze ball, sacking's too good for him

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 19 Nov 2011, 9:38 am

Yes Gatts whateverf- i take it you are from the quitting mentality, anyway you can take my comment anyway you want to. I havent judged him, just offered a point of view that because someone walks and takes the rap doesnt make him a man- which is what the original poster said- I dont judge anyone on here- yet you the ironic gatts. decides to say we cant jusge anyone we dont know- then in the next very sentance judges someone. Not sure how stupid someone can be in fairness. All you ever do is judge people you dont know.. Time to listen to your own advice

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 19 Nov 2011, 9:44 am

eirebilly wrote:Sorry Mystie, but MJ had to resign. He had no other alternative. Rob Andrew was never happy with the fact that Martyn Thomas wanted him appointed and never stood by him.

Had he have chosen to stay (like a real man as you say) he would have been fired in my opinion. MJ didnt quit in my eyes.

So you think he was pusjed out then?

Look we dont know what happened- But iu find it astonishing how we can say the real man is the one that leaves, yet andrew isnt for staying on. I like MJ, i wanted him to stay. I am very indifferent about rob andrew. But the TRUTH of the matter is- there isnt a good v evil going on here. Just a couple of people that havent done there jobs well enough. One that is staying on, one that had quit. Dont have an idea how people can say that MJ is a real man after he quits the position. If he quit because he felt he was going to get sacked then thats defeatest. If he quit because he cant be bothered then thats not fullfilling what he set out to!, if he quit because he wants to do something else that also doesnt make him to be a real man, no just a floater!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next